Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,384
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Guys. I'm arguably the biggest Bleach fan on this forum. No, fuck you, you're not. It's me. I have a large ass tattoo to prove it.
Edit - To clarify - Not a large tattoo on my rear. Rather a large tattoo

But Bleach wasn't unique. It was SUPER FUN and the adrenaline rush you get for the entire SS arc was amazing. Kubo's amazing art and his emphasis on characters details over backgrounds really helped with the whole mood and feel of the series.

But acting like Bleach was unique is kinda short sighted. Bleach wears its influences proudly on its sleeves. Naruto was not unique either.
Not being unique doesn't mean it's bad. Literally nothing is unique, aside from CSM but even that is inspired from various things.

Is Kimetsu unique? Nah. Is it good? To many, yeah. That's why they ate it up in Japan.
 

kakilangit

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Messages
275
Reaction score
403
Age
34
Country
Indonesia
for vomic pv promo, the next one should be Magu chan, right?? the one who got early are the one who got release volume..
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,439
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
Yozakura seems to be holding decent all things considered, wish the newbies were a bit higher for their sakes, will be interesting to see what weekly estimates say.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Well for me KnY's legacy will be, more mangas set in the taisho era. It's very rare to have a manga/anime whose story develops in this era (the most recent one would be mars red). You usually see only meiji, sengoku or showa.

Of course we will have to wait at least 5 years to see what will be its legacy, not after months it ended lol.
I'd like to see more wuxia inspired manga. Everybody always brings that up as one of the things which makes Kimetsu stand out, which to some level it does. However I find Gotoge's fight choreography and panelwork leaves a lot to be desired which kind of dampens the point of it being wuxia inspired. (she definitely has that atmosphere down though).

The ideal wuxia Jump manga is yet to come. Can you imagine something as bonkers as a Shaw bros production in Jump?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
How are the 3 newbies doing in comparison to Agravity Boys?
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Top-20 sales in USA in last October.


My Hero Academia continues being the king of Jump in USA, but Kimetsu (and in minor degree Neverland) are also there. I'm wondering two things:
-What's the situation of One Piece in USA?
-Has Jujutsu Kaisen the potential to appear in these lists in USA in the future?

EDIT: I didn't notice. Chainsawman is also in the list, in 5th place.
Found a version of this list, but with actual numbers.


Extra lists for full year 2019/rest of 2020.
2019


2020

 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
I think kimetsu’s legacy will be more supernatural historical samurai manga and/or more dark fantasy/occult fiction manga that involve swords coming out (kind of happening in shonen jump rn). Even then like many other people said the series isn’t exactly groundbreaking in terms of the plot so it isn’t going change or completely bring out new genres like say kinnikuman or fotns but there will probably be an increase in kimetsu like series.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 11/7

#1 Haikyuu!! 45
#2 Chainsaw Man 9
#4 Dr. Stone 18
#84 Mission: Yozakura Family 5
#149 Me & Roboco 1
#194 Magu-chan: God of Destruction 1
#209 Shakunetsu no Niraikanai 1
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 11/6

#73 Mission: Yozakura Family 5
#96 Magu-chan: God of Destruction 1
#105 Me & Roboco 1
#118 Shakunetsu no Niraikanai 1
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 11/7

#84 Mission: Yozakura Family 5
#149 Me & Roboco 1
#194 Magu-chan: God of Destruction 1
#209 Shakunetsu no Niraikanai 1
Magu-chan having stock issues? I've noticed that it's the only one of the newbies on Amazon that has a pop-up stating the number of copies left rather than just saying in stock.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,384
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yozakura keeping very stable and consistent, the drop is also very little from one day to another compared to the later volumes, like only 4 and 11 places.

Yozakura Family:

Vol.1: #40 > #60 > #69 > #114
Vol.2: #47 > #63 > #145 > #57
Vol.3: #41 > #69 > #67 > #86
Vol.4: #16 > #52 > #71 > #114
Vol.5: #43 > #69 > #73 > #84


Taking what Aipom said last time, looking at the big drop for Magu-chan and Cop & Dolphin in the 4th day while Roboco kept more consistent, maybe both are starting to run out of stock?

Magu-chan

Vol.1: #40 > #89 > #96 > #194

Cop & Dolphin

Vol.1: #63 > #91 > #118 > #209

Me & Roboco

Vol.1: #44 > #90 > #105 > #149
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Magu-chan having stock issues? I've noticed that it's the only one of the newbies on Amazon that has a pop-up stating the number of copies left rather than just saying in stock.
Maybe with Cop & Dolphin too, while i was looking at tweets about Cop & Dolphin today, one store account tweeted a recommendation for the series and said it was selling quite well and stock was low.

 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I’d argue the power system in Bleach is very unique.

What other battle series has it that when a character uses their ultimate power, it literally tells you about their true characters?

Shikai and Bankai was literally what the character wanted to be versus what they actually are deep inside.

Using their powers was essentially a backstory, of sorts. A way to reveal something without saying a word.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,384
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
"Unique" doesn't really mean "100% original" since nothing would be unique because any work or form of art has influences behind it, being unique is being able to set you apart from the rest, being individual, having your own signature and style that can't just be 100% emulated, i think both Naruto and Bleach were pretty unique series for their time, of course they have evident influences but both Kishimoto and Kubo were able to pick these influences and put their own spin and signature on it that set them apart from other battle shounens and even became a influence that you can see in current works (MHA and BC for example)
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,216
Country
United Nations
No no no.

You said
"- Black Jack had huge sales, but there's not much of a franchise around it (that I know of) and a lot of younger people have probably never heard of it.
- Kochikame is an absolute legend in Japan, but virtually unknown in the rest of the world, and the sales don't really do it justice."

You quite clearly did not do any research when typing that. If you did, your description for Black Jack and Kochikame should've been the same because they are both right up there with each other in terms of cultural significance in Japan.
You quite clearly thought Black Jack just sold well and that was it.
I guess I should've specified that there's currently not much of a franchise around it (that I know of).

The point I was trying to make is that Black Jack used to be huge, but isn't getting much attention nowadays (the last thing I found was from 2011, that's hardly recent. I didn't know about the movie that hasn't happened yet).

Kochikame never had huge sales and isn't really known outside Japan, but still became a national legend regardless (and is still fresh in everyone's memory).

Saint Seiya sold even less and doesn't have the same status, but it is still getting attention and generated a massive (worldwide) franchise.

So which one has the biggest 'legacy'? The one that was huge in the past, the one that everyone is (currently) familiar with or the one that keeps making money? That's the contrast I was going for.

So let me get this straight.
You equate legacy of a japanese manga series to how popular it is...outside Japan?

Kochikame and SD are vastly less popular outside Japan than DBZ or even Naruto.
DBZ/Naruto did not get a cover in WSJ when they ended. Kochikame and SD did. There's a reason for that.

Kimetsu getting the level of recognition of Black Jack (however slim or microscopic that chance might be) would arguably be more prestigious than getting the levels of recognition as DBZ.
No. I am saying there are different kinds of legacies. That was literally what that comparison was all about.

If we're talking about relevance within Japan, Kimetsu has a good chance of leaving a big legacy (maybe not as big as Black Jack, but still).

If we're talking about worldwide popularity and/or longevity, nothing has been decided yet.

I am not saying one is better than the other. I am saying people mean different things when talking about a series' legacy, so you need to take all different aspects into account.

(Though I think Dragon Ball has more national relevance than you give it credit for. They wouldn't be making Goku a mascot for the Olympics otherwise.)
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A character's power being a reflection of their true self is pretty much what Stands are in Jojo.
I haven’t read all of JJBA (only up to part 3 IIRC), but are Stands as in-depth as Shikai/Bankai are?

Shikai is literally what the Shinigami wants to be perceived as, and Bankai is what the Shinigami actually is. It’s multifaceted.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I haven’t read all of JJBA (only up to part 3 IIRC), but are Stands as in-depth as Shikai/Bankai are?

Shikai is literally what the Shinigami wants to be perceived as, and Bankai is what the Shinigami actually is. It’s multifaceted.
kind of yeah

"Araki explains that Stand abilities are often the first element he thinks of when he creates a character, and that he then develops the character's personality and appearance based on the harmony with said Stand power "
 

Midak

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
202
Reaction score
253
Age
33
Country
Italy
The entire comment was phrased as a fact but sure, lets go off on the technicality that the post mentioned "I" in multiple places.
It also doesn't help that the logic used in that comment is what you see used on Twitter by people who want to downplay Kimetsu's success all the damn time.

Lastly - I don't care about Kimetsu. I haven't read it past the Mugen train arc. So if people forget about it tomorrow, I won't bat an eye. But it's pretty shortsighted to think that something THIS popular, breaking records not just in the manga industry but multiple other entertainment industries as well won't have a major lasting legacy. It's a big cultural hit like Kimetsu that can often shift industries to new trends.

Cult? What? Lol. What a weird word to use on a manga forum.
It is not a technicality, it is how opinion are phrased. Just before there are haters on twitter or other social media, it does not mean that everyone else is. You disagree? Fine, it did not write a message on a discussion forum to have people tell me that I am right. Since most of thread is dedicated to sales, I wanted to propose a different point of discussion.

First of all, we all agree that KnY has and will have a big cultural impact in Japan for merchandise, volumes purchased by a wide variety of people and acknowledged by many various people outside the manga/anime world.
But, I think you missed the fact that I was not talking about Japan. I was referring to the legacy in other parts of the world. Naturally, I am biased towards a Europe-centric point of view. However, I feel that the anime arrived "too late" to create long-lasting forums about the manga. Death Note was an exception with a quite unique concept, supported by the anime in this.

I wish the same to KnY, but I am not sure.
Unlike you, I have read all the manga chapters and and I found it a good read.
However, it follows a similar pattern used for series like Black Cat and Samurai Deeper Kyo, where the first part is more focussed on the characters themselves, but it quickly becomes a series of battles against the group of the final villain.
To me, it seems the story is quite self-contained as it is. Unfortunately, I do not think a sequel would be easy to write as most of the characters would need to replaced and some of elements of the original story could be there anymore.
It is respectable that the manga was not prolonged just because of the success, but I feel a few more little arcs in the middle of the series would have helped people enjoying and care about many characters even more.
If you want, I would say that KnY's story feels like a fairytale rather than a novel, an epic or a series of short stories.

As for the legacy, once again, I think that with the manga already finished, there was not enough time to create long-lasting communities online. "Our" dedicated forum is already dead, unfortunately, just one year or so after the first episode of the anime.
I believe most of its legacy will come from the beautiful anime adaptation which can inspire other studios. In this sense, it may have a long-lasting impact on the worldwide anime community.
 

Rouk'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
144
Reaction score
664
Age
27
Country
France
Reminder that there is no solid source for the "Black Jack has 176m units in circulation" thing

Black Jack is most likely not at 176m units in print. The source in wikipedia for that is the book "Manga and Anime go to Hollywood" (number is Page 8 and Page 40, source is Page 380 and 381). But that same book uses the wiki page as a source. Back then (october 16, 2014), the source for the 176m number was an ANN article whose source was this ranking that currently displays Black Jack as having 45.64m units in print, but did show the 176m number in 2014.
Considering this website said it was at 40m in 2006, I'm inclined to believe the lower number

45.64m would put it at under 2m per volume, which is great, for sure, but it's nowhere near Demon Slayer

Regarding the conversation, I think it all depends on the coming years/decades and how they manage the IP on all the relevant fronts. So we can't really predict how things will go.

But people gotta remember that Demon Slayer has not stopped selling yet. We don't even know how high they will go, so trying to predict the future of the IP using them is kinda weird.

I don't know that much about the subject, but what can realistically be compared to the current Kimetsu craze? Is there anything that peaked at this level of popularity in Japan? I'm thinking of maybe pokémon in the late 90s?

Speaking of which, I feel like the Pokémon/Yokai Watch situation is an interesting comparison for Demon Slayer. Like Pokémon, Yokai Watch exploded out of nowhere, and even got close to Pokémon's popularity for a short while, only to die as a franchise really quickly because of mismanagement of the IP by Level 5.

Right now, Demon Slayer is still in that peak popularity phase. The rest entirely depends on the coming years. It could become either a pokémon or a Yokai Watch.
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
All this legacy stuff makes me think and ask this:

What would you think about MHA legacy? I'd say MHA is in a strange situation. For one part, it has already had some manga based on MHA formula (however they don't usually work. Pray for Zipman), and MHA has a lot of stuff in different media (novels, manga spinoffs, videogames, etc). But on the other hand, at least is my impression MHA has been totally overshadowed by a lot of Jump manga this year (Neverland, Kimetsu, Haikyuu, Jujutsu). And I wonder what will be 2021 situation for MHA (since it has new anime season, almost all the direct competition from Jump is over, but it doesn't give me vibes of "MHA is going to generate a lot of noise in Japan again").

I mean, MHA in 2020 has had one of its best years ever in sales, but it hasn't been noticed because mediatically everything else did more noise.

However, I wanted to ask this also from the USA perspective too. Not only in the sense that MHA is the Jump series which sells the best in USA, but from a cultural point of view too (official USA news media using MHA memes, famous singers doing homages to Shoto, etc).

Here in Spain it is also in a curious situation where for one part MHA is the main Jump manga for many people, but for other part there are also many people who love almost all manga from current Jump roster but treat MHA as something that doesn't exist.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top