Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,409
Reaction score
39,139
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #11 (2021) - VOTING​

The thread for poll and comment voting of the issue #11 is open HERE!

A important detail, i'm doing just a test to see what happens, so in this issue the limit number of options in the traditional Poll voting is 10 and not 5 like the usual, you're not obligate to vote for 10 series, is just the limit of options.

The Extra series this week are:

Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective 15

Good votes!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Btw, signature finally updated! Agravity Boys, Moriking and Bokura no Ketsumei removed and the 4 new series added. Undead Unluck is now in the 1st tier (but if HxH come back i will have to move down again...)

 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Now that the current batch is done, I'm curious how long it'll be until the next one. Other recent years's early year gaps between the end of one batch and start of the next for comparison

2015 - #14 (UBS) to #22/23 (Naruto Scarlet Spring)
2016 - #11 (Demon Slayer) to #23 (Bort)
2017 - #16 (RxL) to #28 (Shuudan)
2018 - #16 (Ziga) to #24 (Momiji no Kisetsu)
2019 - #15 (Yui Kamio) to #24 (Samurai 8)
2020 - #10 (Guardian of the Witch) to #20 (Moriking)

Chances are the next batch won't be until #20 or so, so around late-April to early May. Do we know when Build King v1 is due out? I'm curious if it'll have been out long enough for Build King to be highly at risk of the instant axe if it can't sell (assuming ToC doesn't improve).
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
Now that the current batch is done, I'm curious how long it'll be until the next one. Other recent years's early year gaps between the end of one batch and start of the next for comparison

2015 - #14 (UBS) to #22/23 (Naruto Scarlet Spring)
2016 - #11 (Demon Slayer) to #23 (Bort)
2017 - #16 (RxL) to #28 (Shuudan)
2018 - #16 (Ziga) to #24 (Momiji no Kisetsu)
2019 - #15 (Yui Kamio) to #24 (Samurai 8)
2020 - #10 (Guardian of the Witch) to #20 (Moriking)

Chances are the next batch won't be until #20 or so, so around late-April to early May. Do we know when Build King v1 is due out? I'm curious if it'll have been out long enough for Build King to be highly at risk of the instant axe (assuming ToC doesn't improve).
Build King and Sakamoto have their first volumes releasing in April so yeah I think we should have numbers for them by the next batch.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
New poll is up.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
My favourite first chapter was Witch Watch, but I liked i tell c ch 2 & 3 more than Witch Watch ch 2.

Build King and Sakamoto have their first volumes releasing in April so yeah I think we should have numbers for them by the next batch.
That means it's very possible to see Build King get a quick axe unless ToC suddenly jumps up in the next few issues.

Heck I wonder if there's a chance Dolphin will manage to scrape by another round if BK performs especially badly. Seems unlikely at this point since it feels like it's building up to an ending, but maybe if it stays around 5th last and BK stays at the very bottom and also sells terribly.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Are the author comments available anywhere yet? Viz's page isn't working and I have no idea where Manga+ puts them ever since they change the site.
 

CEOAmaterasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
271
Reaction score
492
Country
Canada
Witch Watch CM
Oh man... Hearing Himeko's Kansai-ben tsukkomi again... and Bossun and Switch just talking makes me weak in the knees. Also Roman breaking the fourth wall even in a CM, heh. Plus those designs compared to the one Shinohara released before:


AND IT'S IN COLOUR!!!! The nostalgia hurts so good.
 
Last edited:

Rheine

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
89
Age
33
Country
Indonesia
Oh man, I miss seeing those three. Good times, good times.

A decent issue this week.

I'm quite surprised by how much I'm liking Kowloon somethingortheother, maybe it's because it's the MC is explaining his strategies so I don't feel lost like I do with many sports series. And the budding friendship between the two mains is already much better than whatever's going on with BUILD KING's leads.

Speaking of which, I really don't like this week's BUILD KING. After all that build up, everyone just passed like that?? There's no action, no tension, no strategizing, and no cool powers. What a letdown. The pacing is horrendous and makes it feel quite amateurish.

Roboko is decent, I didn't expect there to be so many ups and downs throughout the chapter. Everyone is such good guys deep down.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't think Yozakura's fight is all that good, at least as a fight, since it's very one-sided and there's no progress of action - Futaba just uses her hands to undo the flames for three chapters. However, it is drawn very impressively and has some good character moments so it's not all bad. I just hope the other encounters are more interesting.

Conversely, SAKAMOTO DAYS has quite an interesting fight and I'm hyped for next week. WITCH WATCH is not as funny as it could be, I think, but it's decently amusing. I agree that it needs to expand its scope and characters. I still don't really "get" Elusive Prince, it's just another chapter of laying the groundwork. Meanwhile, i tell c at least introduces some intrigue with the female MC looking for someone, hopefully we learn more of that.

I don't find HSF as funny as some of the previous weeks, maybe because there's only one joke and it's not a strong enough to carry the chapter. But eh, not terrible. Black Clover is alright with Asta finally getting serious, I just hope it's not all one-sided. Jujutsu is starting a new arc and I love the conflict they introduced. Magu is okay, I'm not really sure about expanding the cast even more...it's already packed as is, and I'm not buying this new rankless deity thing yet, his rivalry is like a retread of Naputaaku's earliest chapters.

Dr. Stone is fine, a required transitional chapter. HBC&D is pretty exciting! I would've liked the manga more if it had this tone earlier. UNDEAD UNLUCK is pretty cool as well, I want to know what's up with Rip's backstory. Ayakashi Triangle surprised me by how competent it can be even without the fanservice, the backstory is endearing and I buy the painter's relationship with the previous medium. Phantom Seer is quite okay, looking forward to the fight next week.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,118
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I just think the baseball manga could have a better name "Kowloons' Ball Parade" or "Nine Dragon's Ball Parade" is complicated, especially the second one.
If it was just the "Nine Dragons Parade" it would be better.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Fantastic week overall, probably the best batch of chapters since spring 2020 when Haikyuu!!, Demon Slayer, and The Promised Neverland were all running.

Me & Roboco is thankfully back at its best this week with a valentine's chapter that manages to bring the most hilarity out of most of the main and supporting cast. This chapter managed to get one or two laughs a page out of me. My low expectations for Nine Dragons' Ball Parade turned out to be for the best because this was my favourite chapter of the new batch so far. It's a good example of a template premise executed very well - though the main character's personality is quite different, and I like how his analytical way of thinking affects the rest of the exposition in a way that doesn't feel forced. The main duo work well so far, and it was a nice first chapter with a great ending. Been waiting for a sports manga back in WSJ since my all-time-favourite Haikyuu!! ended so I'm glad this first chapter connected with me.

Other than that there was so much great stuff this week. Sakamoto Days had its best chapter yet, the sketched art page and the final page were just bonkers. Jujutsu Kaisen has me hooked again with the beginning of this new arc, interested in all these developments. My Hero Academia, while not as exciting as recently, is doing a good job with this flashback, and Undead Unluck is back to tugging heart string while delivering some super cool double spreads. Some other standaouts are High School Family and Ayakashi Triangle; the former which had maybe It's funniest chapter yet thanks to the parents being the best characters, while Ayakashi Triangle delivered a shockingly emotional flashback void of fanservice, I'd also say it was best chapter of the series so far.

Even though I'd ranked them lower in order of how much I enjoyed them compared to others, there were plenty of others really good chapters. Mashle did a nice job carrying on the excitement from last week. Mission: Yozakura Family had a sick chapter this week with those action moments delivered on their impact. Phantom Seer initially had me worried but a mixture of great creepy art and spotlight on the supporting characters made this chapter feel more refreshing. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin feels like its pushing towards the end but this chapter was undeniably cool as hell. And even Black Clover delivered on what I wanted it to do, it just didn't stack up to the rest of the excellent developments this week.

I'd say my take on the most recent batch at the moment is: I'm enjoying The Elusive Samurai way more than I thought I would, this chapter again has me excited again for where the series will go; i tell c is getting slightly more enjoyable each week but still nothing special and I'm wondering how long before the main character's personality quirk gets tiring; WITCH WATCH needs to go to the school setting soon and expand its cast/world because this second chapter did little for me; and Nine Dragons' is off to a strong start and is filling that spokon sport very nicely.

On real dud this week was Build King. To quote random character #12: "What a ridiculous test."

Lots of great chapters - here's my ranking of them compared to last week:
  1. (+4) Me & Roboco
  2. ( - ) Nine Dragons' Ball Parade (NEW)
  3. ( - ) Sakamoto Days
  4. ( - ) Jujutsu Kaisen
  5. (-4) My Hero Academia
  6. (+5) Undead Unluck
  7. (-5) One Piece
  8. (-4) The Elusive Samurai
  9. (+1) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  10. (+5) Ayakashi Triangle
  11. (-5) Mashle
  12. (-4) Mission: Yozakura Family
  13. (+1) Phantom Seer
  14. (-7) Black Clover
  15. (+1) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
  16. (-4) i tell c
  17. (-8) WITCH WATCH
  18. (-1) Magu-chan: God of Destruction
  19. (-1) Dr. Stone
  20. (-4) Build King


This third chapter of i tell c would have already been fully drafted/completed by the time the initial chapter came out. We don't know exactly but you probably won't see reader feedback directly affecting the chapters until closer to the chapter 7/8 point depending how many weeks ahead their production schedule is.
Do u mind explaining Black Clover's -7. Got me really intrigued 🤔
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Jump chapters have really been strong the past few weeks, the current arcs in Jujutsu kaisen, MHA, One piece, BC are keeping hype levels high. All the newer series all putting in good work too!

Also i have a question if anyone knows. Do you think s2 for Kimestu will skip over the content from the movie completely? U.K dude so I’m still in wait 😔
Of course it will.
 

KiMiTo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
345
Reaction score
578
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
So, guys, you have the authority to pick only one series from the new batch to survive, which one you will choose?
I'll probably go with the Ball Parade, because it's currently the only sport manga in the magazine and imo it have a lot of potential for different developments.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Elusive Samurai is the most likely to survive since it already seems popular in Japan online, has a big name behind it, and is copying Kimetsu no Yaiba's early set-up so it'll probably get at least some of its fans.

If I were to pick one though I guess i tell c. We'll get a new sports hit eventually, but Jump only really has the one successful detective series and it was a supernatural thing, so I don't know when we'll see another.
 
Last edited:

Neala897

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 12, 2018
Messages
3,971
Reaction score
2,639
Age
36
Country
Russian Federation
So, guys, you have the authority to pick only one series from the new batch to survive, which one you will choose?
I'll probably go with the Ball Parade, because it's currently the only sport manga in the magazine and imo it have a lot of potential for different developments.
I am only reading Samurai but if I could answer from impressions I got of them I would say all bunch can go.
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
649
Reaction score
2,883
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Do u mind explaining Black Clover's -7. Got me really intrigued 🤔
I thought the last two Black Clover chapters were both good and not that different in how much I enjoyed them, the only reason it's lower than the rest for me is because all the other series above it had standout chapters this week compared to last.

So, guys, you have the authority to pick only one series from the new batch to survive, which one you will choose?
I'll probably go with the Ball Parade, because it's currently the only sport manga in the magazine and imo it have a lot of potential for different developments.
A fair question since statistically you'd probably only get 1 (maybe 2) from a 4 serisalition batch that will last long enough to end up becoming hits. If I were to pick one I wanted to stay it would be Nine Dragons' Ball Parade. If only one would stay I'd say The Elusive Samurai is most likely of the bunch.
 
Last edited:

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So, guys, you have the authority to pick only one series from the new batch to survive, which one you will choose?
I'll probably go with the Ball Parade, because it's currently the only sport manga in the magazine and imo it have a lot of potential for different developments.
Witch Watch, since 1: i'm enjoying it and 2: it's from one of my favorite mangaka ever. But it's a shame, I don't really want any of the series to go as of now, which is pretty rare in a 4-series batch.
 

J4B1RU

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 13, 2019
Messages
31
Reaction score
47
Age
27
Country
Gotei 13
I just think the baseball manga could have a better name "Kowloons' Ball Parade" or "Nine Dragon's Ball Parade" is complicated, especially the second one.
If it was just the "Nine Dragons Parade" it would be better.
but ball is not complicated bro
 

Rheine

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
89
Age
33
Country
Indonesia
I would definitely go with Witch Watch so far. I love Shinohara's works.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
So, guys, you have the authority to pick only one series from the new batch to survive, which one you will choose?
I'll probably go with the Ball Parade, because it's currently the only sport manga in the magazine and imo it have a lot of potential for different developments.
I'll go with Witch Watch since I can see it gathering a following bigger than the other 3, on the "cute magical girl" premise alone
 

Bodoro

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
209
Reaction score
240
Age
25
Country
Canada
I enjoyed all 4 of the new series. If I had to pick one, I guess I would go with WW to survive.

Also it's cool that Witch Watch has the most views on its PV for the batch, already passed 200k views. Only Phantom Seer, Burn the Witch and WW now have passed 200k views on their PV.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,557
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I enjoyed all 4 of the new series. If I had to pick one, I guess I would go with WW to survive.

Also it's cool that Witch Watch has the most views on its PV for the batch, already passed 200k views. Only Phantom Seer, Burn the Witch and WW now have passed 200k views on their PV.
Phantom Seer being mentioned in the same sentence alone as those two is very a notable achievement. Just take it out of the bottom already, Nak.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top