Archived The Hang Out Thread v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I've always wanted to read the bible in a literature kind of approach, not the prayer style. But I end up sleeping. But surely one day....
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I've always wanted to read the bible in a literature kind of approach, not the prayer style. But I end up sleeping. But surely one day....
Well the best part is when god created the seventh day

I wished they were all like that :D
 

Epul

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
17
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Hello guys!! Just dropping by to make sure you all know that I'm still alive and kicking :XD

Been really busy with college work...... :scry
Don't you all sometime wish there is more hours in a day? :XD
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hello guys!! Just dropping by to make sure you all know that I'm still alive and kicking :XD

Been really busy with college work...... :scry
Don't you all sometime wish there is more hours in a day? :XD
epul!!!!! :hug

long time no see. college indeed sucks. there is just so much homework and studying to be done in such a little amount of time.

i second your opinion; there should be more hours in a day though i don't know if i would use the extra time as wisely as i should.
 

Epul

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
17
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
epul!!!!!

long time no see. college indeed sucks. there is just so much homework and studying to be done in such a little amount of time.
You're right about that, so many things to do in so little time..... but some people really have a knack on how to balance their time..... one of my friend is really good with time.... he managed to finish all his work early and still has time to hangout with friends, read manga and watch anime... I really admire this kind of people, they really looked like they have all their priorities sorted out.....
As for me, I'm really bad with time management and most of the time I put manga and anime above my college work.... :shifty


i second your opinion; there should be more hours in a day though i don't know if i would use the extra time as wisely as i should.
Godd point. I think most of us would probably spend the extra hour to read manga or watch anime....... :XD
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Immmmmmm bacckkkkkkk! And im really busy. I have to do a project and my homework. Sadly I left the paper with the greek prefixes and roots that I needed for my homework at home so Ill have to write out my homework that I was supposed to type.
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
hey guys!!! :glomp :glomp just dropping by :confetti. How's things here going? I've been really busy ;___; and it seems like I'll be busy 'til june *sigh*

I'm taking the dreaded SAT this saturday.. :s any tips to make the test easier to cope w/?
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Immmmmmm bacckkkkkkk! And im really busy. I have to do a project and my homework. Sadly I left the paper with the greek prefixes and roots that I needed for my homework at home so Ill have to write out my homework that I was supposed to type.
good luck with that. greek prefixes aren't hard; it just takes a lot of memorization but you'll be fine.

hey guys!!! :glomp :glomp just dropping by :confetti. How's things here going? I've been really busy ;___; and it seems like I'll be busy 'til june *sigh*

I'm taking the dreaded SAT this saturday.. :s any tips to make the test easier to cope w/?
~lil~!!!!!!!!!!!! :glomp

i was wondering how you were. i'm sure that you'll do great on your sat. just get plenty of rest the night before and try to relax before taking the test. i don't talk to anyone before the test or during the breaks. don't talk about the test after you finish it though you probably shouldn't listen to me on that part because i obsess over that kind of thing.

go with your gut feeling and mark all the answers you know are not correct. also, only guess if you have a good chance of getting it right (33% or more) since you lose points for every one you get wrong.

i hope this helps! good luck!
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Welcome back everyone! :hug

although I don't hang out here myself. :XD Kyaaaa I'll be late for class in about... now. :oh bye! *chu*
 

genkizen

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
260
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
Colombia
hey guys!!! :glomp :glomp just dropping by :confetti. How's things here going? I've been really busy ;___; and it seems like I'll be busy 'til june *sigh*

I'm taking the dreaded SAT this saturday.. :s any tips to make the test easier to cope w/?
Read lots of books in your free time for the verbal portion. Helps especially with long passages.

I used to teach for Kaplan, SAT's and GRE's, best thing I could say is get lots of sleep the day b4, even if you have to tire yourself out with exercise and stuff, DONT try to give yourself a sugar rush, you'll only burn yourself out, especially now since the test has so many sections. And focus on all of the little math tricks so you can do the questions faster. Worst thing you can really do is run out of time.

You'll probably do great since it seems like you're really devoting a lot of time to studying. GL!
<hr noshade size="1">
courses can be boring but i would never dare to read a newspaper or anything for another course during class. my professor would get mad and probably point me out to the rest of class. :s



really? i was born roman catholic but believe in evolution. i think it depends on opinions. my friends in the course told me that it's really entertaining to hear him rant. it's not like he's forcing his opinion on the class; he just voices it. it probably didn't help that the creationist museum is located an hour away from campus.



funny that you mention it because i just got invited to a beer pong tournament this friday. i doubt that i'll attend though since i need my brain cells for the coming week. haha
Yea I believe in evolution too, probably cuz im an aerospace engineer and gots a scientific like mind :)

Thats good thats good that the professor wasnt forcing his view, guess i misread your post :blink
 
Last edited:

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yea I believe in evolution too, probably cuz im an aerospace engineer and gots a scientific like mind :)

Thats good thats good that the professor wasnt forcing his view, guess i misread your post :blink
yeah there is nothing worse than someone forcing his or her views on you. i think he is more upset that there are some people who are taking his class just to argue with him about creationism than to learn more about evolution.

don't worry about misreading my post; i should have been clearer.

anyway, i need to finish this "short paper" (it's supposed to be three short sections but i think i'm overwriting). but i keep watching this video. it's so catchy...
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
my point of view: I believe in evolution but on the other hand I ask myself if nature, human, kosmos, etc are all part of that. Let me state it on a different way: as we know science proves a lot but the proofs should be their next question: the expansion of science is mainly because it always questions itself, science places itself before a mirror and again and again BUT I am also a sceptical person, I am the type that wants to doubt on everything to know more or to give it a chance

so as I said: I am not a creationist, but on the other hand I'll try to be transcedent - transcendence so my question to science is: what's the start of evolution? Big Bang? Was there something before it? And suppose there's a start? Why can't it be a deity who created all this but maybe that deity created evolution too?

sorry, but I am really philosophical

I've always tried to separate religion and science at the back of my head.

here's how I think of it:

religion asks ultimate questions that cannot be proven through empirical evidence.

science asks non-ultimate questions that can be proven through empirical evidence.

Theoretically, science can prove non-ultimate questions through empirical evidence.

In practice, science does not always prove non-ultimate questions through empirical evidence, so some will remain as "theories" or "models".

The object of religion is supernatural stuff, science is to things of this world.

Here's the underlying problem:

when science makes an attempt to trace the "origins of life", an inquiry that has been the exclusive role of religion throughout history, you can see why "creationism" and "evolution" tends to clash.

The fact is, evolution theory, is merely a theory, and so it's not science.

Science is when you can observe it, then be able to reproduce the results over and over in lab experiment scenarios. Until "evolution" can be reproduced in an experiment setting will it be actually proven. So right now, it's merely a theory.

And that's how you separate religion, science, and theories.

To be fair, evolution theory uses the scientific method, and so I'd classify it as "science", but it's definitely not a religion.
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
hey guys!!! :glomp :glomp just dropping by :confetti. How's things here going? I've been really busy ;___; and it seems like I'll be busy 'til june *sigh*

I'm taking the dreaded SAT this saturday.. :s any tips to make the test easier to cope w/?
For the reading part study greek and latin prefixes and roots so that those big words wont seem so complex. Our English teacher has been making us learn them.
Speaking of SAT I definitly think that I can score way higher than my PSAT try when I got an 1110.
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I'm taking the dreaded SAT this saturday.. :s any tips to make the test easier to cope w/?
Good luck Lil! :hi5 Just make sure you eat a good breakfast ^^ I didn't, and by the end of the test I was ready to eat the table :drool

Ugh.....I hated taking those tests :darn And I'm going to have to take the GRE soon :scry
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
For the reading part study greek and latin prefixes and roots so that those big words wont seem so complex. Our English teacher has been making us learn them.
Speaking of SAT I definitly think that I can score way higher than my PSAT try when I got an 1110.
What's a SAT exactly?
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Standardized test we have to pass in America to graduate from high school.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The Standardized test we have to pass in America to graduate from high school.
So it's national test that's pretty much the same in all america?

And does it contain several courses or is it focused on one course?
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah it's a national test and it covers 3 subjects. There is the math section, the reading section, and the writing section. The math section is straight forward. The reading section requires you to read passages and poems and answer questions about them. In the writing section you just have to correct sentences and paragraphs and stuff like that.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Yeah it's a national test and it covers 3 subjects. There is the math section, the reading section, and the writing section. The math section is straight forward. The reading section requires you to read passages and poems and answer questions about them. In the writing section you just have to correct sentences and paragraphs and stuff like that.
Yeah I understand, over here we have one national test too and it's when we're leaving primary school, in High school such things - sadly - don't exist. Though there's some math test in belgium for highschoolers but it's not obligated and it hasn't any meaning to school - since it's more like a 4 round test to see who's the best in belgium and it has no effect to ratings, it's just good for the name
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
good luck with that. greek prefixes aren't hard; it just takes a lot of memorization but you'll be fine.



~lil~!!!!!!!!!!!! :glomp

i was wondering how you were. i'm sure that you'll do great on your sat. just get plenty of rest the night before and try to relax before taking the test. i don't talk to anyone before the test or during the breaks. don't talk about the test after you finish it though you probably shouldn't listen to me on that part because i obsess over that kind of thing.

go with your gut feeling and mark all the answers you know are not correct. also, only guess if you have a good chance of getting it right (33% or more) since you lose points for every one you get wrong.

i hope this helps! good luck!
thnx! i'll remember that %-tage tip :glomp

Read lots of books in your free time for the verbal portion. Helps especially with long passages.

I used to teach for Kaplan, SAT's and GRE's, best thing I could say is get lots of sleep the day b4, even if you have to tire yourself out with exercise and stuff, DONT try to give yourself a sugar rush, you'll only burn yourself out, especially now since the test has so many sections. And focus on all of the little math tricks so you can do the questions faster. Worst thing you can really do is run out of time.

You'll probably do great since it seems like you're really devoting a lot of time to studying. GL!
:s :scry where do I find these books... I'll just bring huckleburry finn with me... :XD though the grammar in that book is awful... Thnx for the tips :hi5

Good luck Lil! :hi5 Just make sure you eat a good breakfast ^^ I didn't, and by the end of the test I was ready to eat the table :drool

Ugh.....I hated taking those tests :darn And I'm going to have to take the GRE soon :scry
Thx PY! Yosh! breakfast!
@gdup, I got a 1160 in my PSAT's. I screwed over the writing section... :oh I fell asleep -_-;

Thanks for the tips guys. :glomp after this it's ACTs in April :s then AP and AICE exams in may and june... <--- (reasons why I won't be active again til june... :scry)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top