The HisshouBuraiKen thread

LotusBlade

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
392
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The reasons are threefold - Mainly, because it really does make a difference. My penmanship is shitty anyways, but using the right stroke order has helped my kana and kanji look better.

Second, it's more "Japanese" - they beat the stroke order into kids' brains pretty hard from what I've been taught (and somehow my first sensei always knew when I fudged on them)

Finally, you may WANT to take the kanken one day, and you'll already be a leg up! :D

Hey HBK, been a while, but I'm starting to come back on MH, have exams right now, and will be done on Wednesday, woo! I just noticed that you're avatar is like the little logo for MH on the top of the address bar lol, random fact, but interesting for me, anyways I have a Physics exam tommorow and better go study. Thought I'd drop by and say hi!
 

sk.nite

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 19, 2008
Messages
227
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
I can answer the first question.

It is one of the ultimate techniques of Dan Hibiki from Street Fighter!

HISSHOU BURAIKEN!

:p
Does that mean "certain victory villain fist"? Haven't seen that one (the last sf game I played was street fighter 2...), with that name I imagine it must be a super badass technique.

You da man HBK! Can you translate the whole Berserk series again for me? Not :p

I have a question though: How long do you think it would take me learn jap to a decent level (that is, to understand the usual everyday crap) if I studied (by myself) 1 hour a day? [Shameless boast mode ON] I've started like a month ago with this method and I recognize several words and understand some short sentences when I'm watching anime(even though they talk so fast sometimes), and when I'm translating from english to spanish I can now translate some pages directly from the raw. Maybe it's easier for me because I know a foreign language already, I read somewhere that people who know several languages have certain parts of the brain more developed(bs probably).[Shameless boast mode OFF]
If you give me an answer like "I don't know you, but probably 5 years" I'll stop studing jap. Seriously. Lack of motivation is my karma, so lie if you have to.
 
Last edited:

animalia

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
60
Reaction score
2
Age
40
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I do not know if you are currently willing to translate other series other then the one(s) you are working on now, but if you are I have a request for you. I represent a new group called Fighting Dreamers Edited Mangas we were on a verge of our first release and were fine tuning the translation when we lost contact with our translator. We have two projects currently, the one in need of a translator is Shadow Skill Invincibility Fire Ball. (We plan to do at least the 1st volume.) I do not want to purchase anymore raws for more volumes unless I Either get a good deal on a hard to find tank, or it seems we will be ready to continue with Editing more manga. Please let me know if you are interested in this project.

Here is a quote about Shadow Skill Invincibility Fire Ball from wikipedia
Shadow Skill (シャドウスキル-影技-), is a manga series with anime adaptations, created by Studio Deen and aired on Japanese Television in 1998, and has been released in the United States by ADV Films in 2005. The series is based on the manga by Megumu Okada. A shonen series, it features a lot of combat, especially martial arts.

The main protagonists of Shadow Skill are Elle Ragu, the 59th Sevalle in the kingdom of Kuruda, and Gau Ban, an orphaned boy that Elle takes up as her adopted brother. He is currently a Valle and is improving his training. Gau is so impressed by Elle's fighting skill, and the stories of Kuruda's greatest fighter Scarface, that he is studying Elle's fighting skills so that one day he would become the greatest Sevalle in Kuruda. But before that, they must face demon beasts, spies, and Elle's debts from drinking, and collateral damage from fighting.

Also in Elle and Gau's life is Faury Maya (Folli Maya in the TV series), a Sui Rame talisman sorceress, and Kyou Ryu, a Septia beastcatcher and niece of Iba Stora, the king of Kuruda.
It is a fighting/action manga.
We are still in need of a translator for this series and I was wondering if you would be so kind as to help.

P.S. Our Tokyo Underground translator Is leaving soon so we will need a translator for that too.
 

shrimpy

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
1,447
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Yo HBK. I know you're not in charge of DB or anything, and maybe you aren't part of the project, but why'd they pick up dennou coil? It was already long finished by another group right? and in 720p i think...(just curious--along the lines of was something wrong with the trans)
 

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
shrimpy - I'm not involved with Coil at all - A lot of the staff just really likes it. I may get on there for script checking if they feel they need me though, and I think I worked on the songs? It's been many moons since they first brought it up.

everyone else - I'm not interested in doing any other series right now. I don't have time to read them.

Fun fact - My latest paid gig is translating title & actress names for japanese adult videos.
 

shrimpy

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
1,447
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
no doubt so the client can do all the 2ch and 4chan searches they've always dreamed of...

almost forgot - since you brought it up, i was going to ask your recommendation on where in the world to learn nanori/naming from because i've come across so many irregular names i have no idea how to know just by looking (without extensive searching)

any good method or reference?
 
Last edited:

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There really is no way to tell every time, but you can learn the most common names and assume them when you read. Even japanese people usually have to ask how to read someone's name when they're given a business card - they usually write it on the card once they're told. On the web, I just use the rikaichan plugin for firefox - hit shift while you're moused over a kanji and it'll go to the kanji breakdown, including nanori pronunciations.

Any electronic dictionary should give the nanori for each kanji as well. But yeah, as far as knowing which specific name it is every time? I don't think know of any way.

Remember in Bleach when Ichigo saw Ishida Uryuu's name on the board and was like "...Ama..tatsu?" (雨竜)
 

shuraii

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
this may be a silly question but, in other forums that you may have joined, has your name HisshouBuraiKen been taken? if so, do you join under another name? and what are your other names, if any?

EDIT:
where are the pictures of you cosplaying?
 
Last edited:

Reliic

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 3, 2008
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey HIss. Great job Subbing, have a question. You know any good onlinecourses or books the are great for learning Japanese, my college does not offer the course but I still want to learn until I get to a school that does teach it.

Things you say like Kanji and JET are terms I would like to learn, and also do you have a japanese keyboard or do you us an American Keyboard with Japanese stickers?

BTW how do you know your color? I know the japanese are crazy about knowing there colors, how do I find out mine?
 
Last edited:

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
shuraii - as far as I know, if there's a hisshouburaiken on a forum, it's me. You can find me on cosplay.com:

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/m424/

Relic - You can install the language bar and a japanese keyboard for windows XP no matter what version you have.

Also, that "color" is the color used for me in translation compilations and stuff, it's not official. Green is just my favorite color :)
 
Last edited:

Suzuku

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
44
Reaction score
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have simple question concerning the translation of "It can't be helped".

What is the difference between the two possible translations 'Katanai wa ne' and 'Shita ga nai'? I have a pretty good idea, but I want to confirm it.
 

shuraii

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
will you still translate Naruto now that Binktopia has dropped it?

and also, if you dont mind me asking, how far are you with the Golden Sun manga translations? It doesnt matter though, as long as you finish before summer is over. :)

edit:
you already answered my above questions so i have one more:

do you get a lot of requests to translate?
 
Last edited:

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Kieru: I assume you meant "Shikata nai wa ne" for the first one. There is no difference between the two, meaning-wise. They're two different ways to say the same thing, the first one is a little more feminine (the "wa" ending) and the second, a little more formal (the "ga" being included).

shuraii: I get a fair amount - most of them I have to turn down as I'm satisfied with my current workload. That's the main reason I do commissions - it's just not worth the time spent otherwise, plus they're always for stuff I never would have done of my own free will.

Speaking of my workload, there's just four three TWO more chapters of Yuu Yuu Hakusho to go! They're all good ones, too, and as I finish out the volume I have less and less unfinished stuff to read while I'm on the throne, so I've got a lot of the good lines already planned out. I hope to have it all done in the next month.
 
Last edited:

sir_maxus

Intl Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2008
Messages
117
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Chile
There really is no way to tell every time, but you can learn the most common names and assume them when you read. Even japanese people usually have to ask how to read someone's name when they're given a business card - they usually write it on the card once they're told. On the web, I just use the rikaichan plugin for firefox - hit shift while you're moused over a kanji and it'll go to the kanji breakdown, including nanori pronunciations.

Any electronic dictionary should give the nanori for each kanji as well. But yeah, as far as knowing which specific name it is every time? I don't think know of any way.

Remember in Bleach when Ichigo saw Ishida Uryuu's name on the board and was like "...Ama..tatsu?" (雨竜)
Thanks for the tip on the firefox add-on, till now i was just tryng with NJStar Communicator.. which i will still maintain because it has chinese support :D

And i'm not sure if i have said this before but:

Thanks for your translation work.. i'm using some of your translations to turn them into spanish.. i give credit tho...

Thanks again ^___^
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Happy birthday you big stud you o/ :ossu

go and get something nice or... something :D Like one of those neat portable electronic dictionaries :333 (I can recommend one if you want :p)
 

nxlouco

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
810
Reaction score
92
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Happy Birthday!! and Keep On Those Awesome Naruto Translations!!
 

DarkFlameDragon

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
443
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
im new here but i can tell that you are pretty awesome
 

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Happy birthday you big stud you o/ :ossu

go and get something nice or... something :D Like one of those neat portable electronic dictionaries :333 (I can recommend one if you want :p)

Hehe, thanks. The big ol 2-7. If I wasn't late 20's before, I sure as hell am now >.<
I would highly value your recommendation, because I'm in desperate need of something new (preferably a model where the dictionaries and/or firmware can be updated?)

im new here but i can tell that you are pretty awesome

...You will go far in this life, my young friend.
 

ScaryRei

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I have simple question concerning the translation of "It can't be helped".

What is the difference between the two possible translations 'Katanai wa ne' and 'Shita ga nai'? I have a pretty good idea, but I want to confirm it.
Figuratively, they mean about the same thing. Literally, "Katanai wa ne" is, "Can't win, huh? (with a feminine speech-ending)" as in "You can't win, can you? (or I can't win, can I?)" denotative of defeat. "Shikata ga nai" means "It can't be helped," leaning more towards resignation to a situation that one has no control over. Either way, they're phrases indicating resignation or giving up to the circumstances.

Hope this helps!
 
Last edited:

ScaryRei

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Congrats on your anime gig!
 
Top