Discussion - Art Contest Discussion Thread | Page 106 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Art Contest Discussion Thread

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You could have done the same hero :D

It work better than well imho. The letters as a mask is a working concept and love how you use shape in the avatar. I love the dynamic the fist breaking from the circle creates, it really makes it 'pop'. I tried something similar with All Mights hair, but doesn't have half as much impact.
I don't to live in your shadow :wowsoBOB

Yeah I liked that the letter mask worked this time, but I'll give it a rest for now; I guess I was just going on from the last I made (which I'm wearing).
Ah, with the avatar It was actually going to just be him breaking through the rocks then have it transparent somehow so that once on the page, it'd look as if it was breaking from the avatar box, but that wasn't working as I wanted it to.

Also, I've set the poll for the next contest theme HERE, so go vote.

downright

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
For the upcoming contest, may i use a character from a Japanese videogame. It's franchise is so big it reached an anime and an animated film.

Miralicious akuma

Reaction score
Country
India
And is it mandatory to have anime/manga theme in the angel and demons contest ?

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the upcoming contest, may i use a character from a Japanese videogame. It's franchise is so big it reached an anime and an animated film.
And is it mandatory to have anime/manga theme in the angel and demons contest ?
Unless otherwise specified, there's no limit to your where you draw your inspiration/ influence; i.e you could draw an "Angels and Demons" version of say...Mario and Luigi, it's completely allowed for this contest, or you can go the traditional route the renaissance route.

As long as it is hand-drawn (paper or computer/tablet) and in black and white.

Battou

⎲⎳
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Congrats on the win bob :wowsoBOB

And Ust as well !, forgot you could vote for 2 sets

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Predicatble outcome. Cograts Bob on the win and also Uste for a well deserved second place :amuse

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Congratulations sir. And congrats to Ustegius too

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats to Bob and Ust, and Bob - probably will be borrowing your set sometime soon and by sometime soon i might been like yesterday xDDD.

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
Congrats to @goldb and @Ustegius for the first contest of this year:D
And everyone has done a good work too:darn
Now ,we will see who will submit an entry for the Angel & Demon contest:heh

downright

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
i was convinced Neji will win, that work was nicest for me and i knew only him best, but i didn't know i can vote twice. Congrats mody
I wanna know that nickname who saved me from a complete zero.. and i wonder how many of you are drawing, becose i don't wanna do this thing on my own.

Miralicious akuma

Reaction score
Country
India
i was convinced Neji will win, that work was nicest for me and i knew only him best, but i didn't know i can vote twice. Congrats mody
I wanna know that nickname who saved me from a complete zero.. and i wonder how many of you are drawing, becose i don't wanna do this thing on my own.
I thought exactly the same! and yep you got me, im participating too. i'll submit by saturday for sure, was kinda busy because of exams and everything :)
And also congratulations goldb for the win! :confetti

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I was really confused by this. But then it clicked. The Neji looks bad if you use the Ultraviolet (dark) theme. If I change to the default theme, it works.

So as a future reference @DiMaria Yesta when you play with transparency, check it against a dark or very bright background, to see if the cropping is good. NOw that I saw your set as it should be seen, it is very good.

downright

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I was really confused by this. But then it clicked. The Neji looks bad if you use the Ultraviolet (dark) theme. If I change to the default theme, it works.

So as a future reference @DiMaria Yesta when you play with transparency, check it against a dark or very bright background, to see if the cropping is good. NOw that I saw your set as it should be seen, it is very good.
took me time til i figure what you're saying, you're talking about your forum's theme (your background) being Ultraviolet right, and the top of Neji's head on the avatar? Goldb's avatar sig isn't like that or? Becose i don't know if uploading a cropped image in some photoshop and what file is even possible to not make it a complete square?

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
took me time til i figure what you're saying, you're talking about your forum's theme (your background) being Ultraviolet right, and the top of Neji's head on the avatar? Goldb's avatar sig isn't like that or? Becose i don't know if uploading a cropped image in some photoshop and what file is even possible to not make it a complete square?
I don't in my turn understand what you are saying on the latter part, but to make it simple;

So what we learn from this, is that one should check the set works on the different forum themes. Obviously You can't make it look perfect on all of them, but you can avoid stuff like the character a hole in his shoulder.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I don't in my turn understand what you are saying on the latter part, but to make it simple;

So what we learn from this, is that one should check the set works on the different forum themes. Obviously You can't make it look perfect on all of them, but you can avoid stuff like the character a hole in his shoulder.
You know I've never really thought about this. Thanks Uste. Even though this isn't directed at me, I too can take it to heart in future.

downright

Reaction score
Country
Croatia

aha i see your point now.. but you didn't get me becose i was asking basic stuff actually. What i was asking,. I took cropped png file of Mr Hero here and i go save go as type in photoshop.. and then i have a big list of jpg bmp photoshop png.etc. To simplify the question, to make this kind of no background image my file needs to be png? Jpg can't do this, bmp neither, but a photoshop file type should. So the question is.. what png stands for? Does it stands for exactly and solely this background blend or there's more to it. And can i use anything else than png and photoshop type becose i can't have a photoshop on my own comp.

@Ustegius tnx you explained it well to me, mody can erase, i'll c/p myself what you just said.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
aha i see your point now.. but you didn't get me becose i was asking basic stuff actually. What i was asking,. I took cropped png file of Mr Hero here and i go save go as type in photoshop.. and then i have a big list of jpg bmp photoshop png.etc. To simplify the question, to make this kind of no background image my file needs to be png? Jpg can't do this, but a photoshop file type should. So the question is.. what png stands for? Does it stands for exactly and solely this background blend or there's more to it.
This is a bit off topic, so a section mod can move this to the right place if need, but;

Yeah, if you want transparency, or in graphic talk better known as alfa channel, in your pictures, you need to save/export the file as .png. There are other saving formats that also have the alfa channel, but .png is by far the most common one. It stands for Portable Network Graphics. It's not just about transparency. It is also an almost lossless format, so when compared to .jpg, not only do you have transparency, but you also get usually a better image quality in overall. But the file size is notably larger, since you have more data. It is also a patentless format, so most image editing software should be able to export .png, you don't necessarily need Photoshop. You can go to wikipedia, if you want the more technical details, like how many level the alfa channeld has and how it processes color :D

Last edited: