Fun 1999 vs 2011 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

@SHINOBI-03
"Hungry [man] has bread/steak on his mind." This expression suits you very well. You obviously want "old" Kurapica to be a female.

Episode 07: Look at this pictures. Are you telling me these are not breasts and his shirt "happened" to look like this?!
Give me another example of his "breasts". Otherwise, yes, it only happened to be like this and it's insignificant when you compare it to the number of times where there is no shadow and he looks completely flat.

And hey, look what I've found:



The curve on his shirt must mean he has big breasts, right?

Episode 18: What's the deal with "his" reaction of seeing naked Leoreo?! Even he thought Kurapika's behavior was suspicious!
Don't know about you but I don't like to look at naked men either.

Episode 32: What's the deal of this pose?! Guess who else I saw doing this...
I can guess:



Your comparison to Sakura is like comparing apples and oranges. Or not even that. And surprise, surprise, Kurapica had no problems with sitting with his legs spread later.



Episode 45: Need to remind you about the chain bondage scene?! Just give it watch to know what's the deal.
And what is the deal? Because what I see is that Kurapica has been shown in his natural state were there were no foreign objects on him (the chain was something he created, a part of his body).

Anyway, can the above examples be interpreted as you've interpreted them? Sure. Can they be interpreted the way I've interpreted them? Sure. Which only shows that creators of the old anime did a perfect job since Kurapica's gender hasn't been confirmed in the manga to this day. But unless stated explicitly otherwise Kurapica is a normal guy. And there is not even a hint of faggotry in his scenes, not even close. Contrary to the new anime and the infamous Hunterpedia episode where Killua kisses Gon. Or even worse: http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r554/funkedgeek/schwing2.jpg </throwing up>. For that reason alone old anime >> new anime.


While taking screenshots I've remembered about two other things that really annoyed me. The scene of opening the gate in which Madhouse has completely messed up (but hey, at least we got the boring background of Canary
) and when Leorio's arm-wrestle scene was cut out.
 
Last edited:

chikkychappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
55
Gender
Female
You too seem to be either misunderstanding or misreading my posts. I never defended Shinobi, in fact I too said his review this week was uncalled for, and overall I've said it millions of times that I don't really care which version it is since both of them have their issues. I don't like the changes Madhouse made to the series, nor do I really care for Furuhashi's changes. I'm just happy there's an HXH to discuss.
Yes, I saw those posts and I think I liked them.

But I hope you understand my point of view: I was not doing anything offensive. As I said I merely stated my opinion respectfully, gave my reasons, and add to that I was merely addressing a fellow 1999 fan and not pushing anything down on anyone's throat. So I was surprised when you said "Lets quit the bashing and enjoy what we like"; why should I quit doing something when I was not doing something wrong? Why should I stop stating my opinion, when I did so respectfully? Maybe I am even offended when you put my tame post in the same league as shinobi's bashing.

This was just really unnecessary. But w/e, we're going round in cirles.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Nevertheless, I was not doing anything offensive. As I said I merely stated my opinion respectfully, gave my reasons, and add to that I was merely addressing a fellow 1999 fan and not pushing anything down on anyone's throat. Yet you said "Lets quit the bashing and enjoy what we like"; why should I quit doing something when I was not doing something wrong?

My point is simple: there was no need to make that kind of response since I was far from bashing. But w/e we're going round in circles.
I was really responding to your comment generalizing the 2011 fans which you have since apologized for. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

You are right that this is getting us no where so let us drop the issue.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sigh

Do we really need a whole argument about Kurapika's gender in the 99? I mean does it even really matter?
I say he's a guy in the 99. Why? Because I don't care to think too deeply about it. If they say he's a dude
then he's a dude unless stated otherwise. But really it doesn't bother me one bit if Shinobi-03 thinks he's
a girl. In fact I find it rather amusing. And it's downright silly people are getting so worked up about it.

That said...whatever all the scenes are trying to imply I don't think much of.
I'm sure the 99 director put them just for the hell of it. He probably thought it would be
funny to see people get into serious debates over something so...well...stupid.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm the fan of the manga and which ever anime portrays the manga is the one I'm gonna enjoy more. It happens to be the 2011 anime for some reason. The whole issue with the 1999 anime was the pointless filler added during the hunter exam. The whole point of the arc was to introduce the characters and their motives. It's the first actual arc of the series and it needs to get fleshed out? How and why does a introductory arc need to get fleshed out when everything explains itself. Thats my number one issue with Furashshi. He added and changed things way to often. When he was telling the story of the manga thats when the anime shined but he deviated from the material way to often which ultimately made the series worse IMO.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
Be honest with me: was I a jerk this week? Did I went too far bashing the old version the way I did? I guess I was since since apparently I caused to lock the HxH discussion at animesuke! And when I cause a thread to get locked, I KNOW I EFFed up big time!

I admit, I may went a bit over the top and subconsciously went back to the late teen troll style. I'm sorry for this mess. Maybe I shouldn't said what I'v said and keep my own opinions to myself.

You want me to stop comparing the old version and stick comparing the new one with the manga since it turned this controversial?
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
People have a strong opinion over the 1999 anime. Their fanbase have no restraint and get offended really easily since the 2011 anime is airing. I say still do the comparisons but just be less "biased". You can insert your opinions but make them seem less "troll" like. Comparing all 3 is much better then comparing the manga to the 2011 anime. I'm pretty sure the 1999 anime fans want to see what it did "better".
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Maybe it has to do with your choice of words? As Noonealive said, you could still do the comparisons but be less 'biased' about it. If you have strong opinions about the episode, you could always make a separate post for it so that the comparison posts will be as objective as possible. For me, it's alright if you think you should keep your opinions to yourself, but I honestly do enjoy hearing what everyone else thinks about the episode since it contributes to the discussion. And I agree with that comparing all three is better than just taking out the comparison to the '99 altogether.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Be honest with me: was I a jerk this week? Did I went too far bashing the old version the way I did? I guess I was since since apparently I caused to lock the HxH discussion at animesuke! And when I cause a thread to get locked, I KNOW I EFFed up big time!

I admit, I may went a bit over the top and subconsciously went back to the late teen troll style. I'm sorry for this mess. Maybe I shouldn't said what I'v said and keep my own opinions to myself.

You want me to stop comparing the old version and stick comparing the new one with the manga since it turned this controversial?
I think you were obnoxious this week. While I do think your commentary on the comparisons is usually right on the money, and I don't want to censure you, I don't think it's good to outright trash the 1999 or 2011 anime. I like that you have little comments on why you thought things didn't work or did work in one or another adaptation, but calling either version 'pitiful' takes the spotlight away from your hard work and places it firmly on your words, which defeats the purpose of doing the comparisons in the first place. I'll be honest and say I'm faaaaar to lazy to do this weekly like you do, so you have my respect. I look forward to your comparisons too, so it's not like I hate you or anything. Just...try to keep it objective next week okay? If you want to go on a rant about how bad something was, you have a right to it, but don't be surprised to get hit with backlash. You have the mantle of reviewer/compiler. A review isn't a review without an opinion, and a compliation isn't a compliation without effort and research. I think it's easier to do one over the other, but it's up to you as to how you'll proceed from now on. If you ask me though just be a little bit less trollish, and you should be fine.

(IMO animesuki is a way worse forum than here. I don't even have an account there because the discussions are often so biased and one sided that it's not even worth the effort to sign up unless you have the same opinion as everyone else. At least here no matter how heated things get, at the end of the day our love of HXH outshines our dislike of one adaption over the other.)
 

heron bpv

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
391
Reaction score
254
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think you should keep the format and the way, namely getting in the mood sometimes and post like this week. Whenever you do this, this forum burns with posts, and I like the results :D
Don't really bother, as you're free to make the posts your way and present your ideas, and if people think you are being biased, it's just another object of discussion :p
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Be honest with me: was I a jerk this week? Did I went too far bashing the old version the way I did? I guess I was since since apparently I caused to lock the HxH discussion at animesuke! And when I cause a thread to get locked, I KNOW I EFFed up big time!

I admit, I may went a bit over the top and subconsciously went back to the late teen troll style. I'm sorry for this mess. Maybe I shouldn't said what I'v said and keep my own opinions to myself.

You want me to stop comparing the old version and stick comparing the new one with the manga since it turned this controversial?
I don't think you have anything you need to apologize for. It's not your fault if people are going to get worked up over nothing.
So you called Kurapika a girl? So friggin what? Everyone here should know by now that at the very least Kurapika is ambiguous
in his gender whether or not he is a guy or girl. I say he's a guy. But I'm not gonna go off the handle because others disagree.

You know what I did?

I laughed and moved on.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
I don't think you have anything you need to apologize for. It's not your fault if people are going to get worked up over nothing.
So you called Kurapika a girl? So friggin what? Everyone here should know by now that at the very least Kurapika is ambiguous
in his gender whether or not he is a guy or girl. I say he's a guy. But I'm not gonna go off the handle because others disagree.

You know what I did?

I laughed and moved on.
It's not because I called him a girl (I'm not taking that back) but re-reading my post again I felt it's like how I used to bash shows in the past before knowing any better and felt unprofessional and a bit immature for my current standards. Yeah, I did complain about certain scenes in my past reviews but this time it felt like I let my anger cloud my judgment!
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's not because I called him a girl (I'm not taking that back) but re-reading my post again I felt it's like how I used to bash shows in the past before knowing any better and felt unprofessional and a bit immature for my current standards. Yeah, I did complain about certain scenes in my past reviews but this time it felt like I let my anger cloud my judgment!
Eh perhaps. I'm fine with the comparisons either way...but maybe that's cause I usually agree. :P
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Be honest with me: was I a jerk this week? Did I went too far bashing the old version the way I did? I guess I was since since apparently I caused to lock the HxH discussion at animesuke! And when I cause a thread to get locked, I KNOW I EFFed up big time!

I admit, I may went a bit over the top and subconsciously went back to the late teen troll style. I'm sorry for this mess. Maybe I shouldn't said what I'v said and keep my own opinions to myself.

You want me to stop comparing the old version and stick comparing the new one with the manga since it turned this controversial?
Shinobi, you did nothing wrong at all. You are wholly entitled to your opinion and to post whatever it is that you think, feel and believe. I did not see any overwhelming bias in your comparison, just that you preferred 2011 version (which you backed up). Your comparison was humourous and as always, enjoyable. No one is entitled to an 'even' and 'balanced' comparison from you. No one is entitled to get anything from you man. Keep on doing what your doing and to all the others out there complaining, just shut up yeah? We are all allowed to have differing opinions and some of you took Shinobi's jokes to the extreme. Shinobi you didn't cause threads to be locked, those that can't help but argue and create conflict because someone's opinion differs to them did. As I said before, keep on doing what your doing, this was my favourite comparison of yours thus far. I love your style and it'd be a shame if a minority caused you to feel the need to change things. This is a forum it's not like you are doing these comparison's for some kind of remuneration, they aren't entitled to have it their way, you however are entitled to do it your way Shinobi. That's my two cents guys.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think we should all just realize that EVERYONE has a bias. I have a bias. I like the manga and think the anime should be just like the manga. But that's just me.
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Shinobi just keep doin what your doing bro. If people can't handle your opinion they clearly don't belong on forums to begin with lol.
 

Diivil

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
229
Reaction score
238
Gender
Hidden
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Shinobi, you did nothing wrong at all. You are wholly entitled to your opinion and to post whatever it is that you think, feel and believe. I did not see any overwhelming bias in your comparison, just that you preferred 2011 version (which you backed up). Your comparison was humourous and as always, enjoyable. No one is entitled to an 'even' and 'balanced' comparison from you. No one is entitled to get anything from you man. Keep on doing what your doing and to all the others out there complaining, just shut up yeah? We are all allowed to have differing opinions and some of you took Shinobi's jokes to the extreme. Shinobi you didn't cause threads to be locked, the idiots that can't help but argue and create conflict because someone's opinion differs to them did. As I said before, keep on doing what your doing, this was my favourite comparison of yours thus far. I love your style and it'd be a shame if a minority of idiots caused you to feel the need to change things. This is a forum it's not like you are doing these comparison's for some kind of remuneration, they aren't entitled to have it their way, you however are entitled to do it your way Shinobi. That's my two cents guys.
I agree 150% with you on this. Keep doing what you're doing shinobi, i always look forward to it after watching an episode
 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,375
Gender
Male
Country
France
Shinobi just keep doin what your doing bro. If people can't handle your opinion they clearly don't belong on forums to begin with lol.
They'll post their impressions,and we'll discuss over and over again...
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I think we should all just realize that EVERYONE has a bias. I have a bias. I like the manga and think the anime should be just like the manga. But that's just me.
Yes, exactly. Everyone has a bias and everyone has an opinion. It's impossible for you not to have an opinion unless you really don't care about HxH. And I rather like how the opinions are really diverse in this forum. The discussions just get better and the community feels vibrant. I probably wouldn't even notice half the things I do if not for everyone's opinions and Shinobi's comparisons. You guys even taught me a thing or two about quality and animation and producing anime as a whole. I like that, because now I can understand some things from the perspective of the director and the animation studio: pacing, music direction, budget, etc...

We all get a bit too carried away sometimes. It happens. I just see it as a reminder that , at the end of the day, everyone here loves HxH. And hey, that's more than fine with me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top