All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

LOL I think I'm gonna have some fun in that thread XD
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

hmm, the signature thread is pretty dead. I wish we had a thread where we post and critic/discuss our latest works... But I doubt that this will happen since most of you guys look busy and can hardly find the time to make the contest one :S

Anyway, I hope we see more entries in the little time we have left.
I would also like to see a thread to discuss/critic sigs and the thread in the general forum isn't really for that. I don't have a lot of time, but I think I could devote a day to this and the contest every week or two. It's kinda fun trying to come up with something for each theme, so I'll probably keep making sigs for fun and to avoid school.

Since I've only made a few sigs thus far, I am not sure what looks best and I always go through several versions never knowing which one to submit. I think I could really use someone else's critics/advice. It would be nice to have a thread where we could post a group of sigs and then people could comment on which looks best and how to improve it, and your work in general.

I know this thread is for the contest so we can critic old entries, which is a start, but I think it would be better to have the sigs posted right in the thread were discussing them in. So I guess I'm saying we should start a new thread for this purpose and hope that people will use it.:tem

You can still discuss previous sig submissions and contests in this thread, Shin. That's why it's called "All Purpose Discussion Thread". :amuse Don't worry, I understand what you meant though. To keep the discussions fluent and flowing a separate thread would be nice. :) I have time to discuss, post and reply to the discussions in this section. I just don't like it when my posts are merged due to the lack of activity from other members lol. I'm sure if we all promote the contest in our sigs or something we could attract more members.

MH could promote the contest in the shouts out or somehting too. I doubt it'll happen though. :worrybunny
I agree with all of the above. I have tried to help the cause by adding a link to the Sig Contest in my sig. I even posted more than usual this week so people would see it.:p
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, if anyone's up to it I'd accept any critics or advice on my last two entries, or my current sig. Especially, any tips for lighting effects or how to give them a more 3D appearance. Thanks.:D
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Good job DeBaron8! :thumbs I'll try and do some kind of promotion in the near future as well lol.

Just submitted my school-themed sig. Yes, it's Soul Eater. No, at first sight it doesn't seem to have any connection to the theme but IMO it does! This was an extremely quick job, it isn't perfect or complete but I didn't want to miss (Underwater theme) another round. :p

Characters used in the sig are all members of the "Death Weapon Meister Academy" < which is still in part a school. :noworry I hope I don't get my butt handed to me...

Good luck everyone and see ya around! :bye
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Voting for the school contest is now underway. There are only five submissions, but they all have promise. Which will rise to the top of the class? Vote for your favorite within a week's time to select the valedictorian winner. :tem

The new contest has also begun, and the theme this time is fire. You should all know what that means; so, let's turn up the heat! :whoabunny
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Too many ideas to choose from :( Thought about a Will of Fire sig, but I don't wanna do another Naruto sig just yet. *sigh* Guess I'll get some sleep and see about that tomorrow.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Great theme. I will spend the first week thinking. No rush ideas because it's a goddamn hot theme and the signature should be smoking HOT !


Here's a taste of what could happen if you play with fire:

I hope it helps you guys as an inspiration :D (this could be my entry ^^).
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Great theme choice, Tsuki!

This will definitely be a difficult one to win. There's so many possiblities with the direction one can go with the fire theme lol. I think we'll see a lot of effects being used for this round. I'm not that good at effects, etc. So I lose already. :(

Well, I'm glad I submitted my school-sig; I'm slightly upset that I couldn't complete it on time. There were a few more things I wanted to add and rearrange. ><

Come on people! Vote for Bug! :p
 

Bowser

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
1,127
Reaction score
118
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Buggy, do an Akainu one! XD Or an Ace one!
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Thanks for the recommendations, Bowser but I've already chosen a particular character from a manga to use in this round. :eyeroll I haven't actually started on the sig though. I'm still in search for the "right" picture to use and draw up some rough plans on how I want it to look like overall. :)

So have you guys started on your sigs yet?
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I actually have a great idea. But there is a problem with the pictures :S
It's really hard to make them work. I guess I will lay low for a while and try to figure out how to solve this problem.
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Is it a Naruto-related picture? :p

Well, the sig promotion seems to be going well. \o/ 15 votes so far. Not bad. The first two entries are very strong imo.


Sorry my bad. I meant the first three entries! ^^


Not that there's anything wrong with the others...:sweat

My ones the worst imho. :XD
 
Last edited:

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Bowser - Yeah, I thought of doing an Ace sig, but it seemed too obvious, or not as unique of an idea as I would like. Although, you could definitely make an awesome fire theme sig with Ace. I've seen some really good ones before.

I do have an idea, it's kinda obvious too, but with a slight twist that will hopefully make it more original. I got one render chosen, but it needs coloring, and I need to find one more. I'm excited about trying out some different flame drawing techniques and brushes, I just hope that I can make them look good.

I haven't started the sig yet, because I need to send my desktop to the shop, broken LAN port:( Hopefully, I'll work on it next weekend.
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I get the feeling that my chosen character-idea is the same as one of you guys have initially chosen to do as well. :shifty Mmmm. This feeling is not good at all. :p
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I can reveal what I'm doing if you guys want, like I said it's obvious with a twist, and if you haven't noticed, I'm a serious Naruto addict....

@Buggy - I like your sig for the school theme, the pictures inside the text is a great effect and the outside border looks nice a clean. I agree that all the entries are fairly even this week, I actually like the last two entires best, lol. I guess that's why it's good to get feedback from different people, because we all have different asthetic sensibilities.
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Sasuke or Itachi blowing fire technique/Fire Release: Dragon Fire Technique ???? :p

Thanks dude! It was honestly a rush job, I had initially started out with a idea that was sparked from watching Kimi ni Todoke but it didn't go down so well. I seriously left it to the last couple of hours before Tsuki locked the thread. XD!

I think there's too much red in my sig and the pictures I used within the letters were actually my ""test subjects" lol if you know what I mean. Sadly, by the time I had finished playing around with it, I was worried that I would miss the deadline so I just went with the flow lol. :XD


I think your "Class Clown" sig idea is awesome. It brings back early memories of the manga to me. :)
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Buggy -No, actually my idea is not about any technique per se, so you should still do it. It does partially involve Sasuke, but I don't think more than one Sasuke related sig is a problem, he's a good subject for this theme. And, thanks for support on the school, I didn't like how the background turned out, but still love the idea itself.

My first two initial ideas were Sasuke doing the Fireball technique as a little kid or something with the Eternal Fire - Amaterasu. Mine is not about either one of these so anyone else who has similar ideas should pursue them, because you'd even likely get my vote:D
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

My character was itachi executing amaterasu . . .
Hard sig and needs time too :S not easy to create black flames with photoshop and make them look like flames not some rubbish brush job <.<
I'm starting to lose hope in this idea but we still have time
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Well that means I'm safe atm since my idea has nothing to do with Naruto the manga. 8D

Yosh! I must go in search for more inspirational pictures/designs. :shakefist
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Well that means I'm safe atm since my idea has nothing to do with Naruto the manga. 8D

Yosh! I must go in search for more inspirational pictures/designs. :shakefist
I think it's safer to say what are you going to make lol. If you post it, no one will try something similar xD But again, if you do, you will ruin the surprise.
Amaterasu and Katon jutsus are popular crap :S
I will probably make a Natsu Dragneel sig.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top