All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

It really is a shame that you missed the deadline for the Fire theme contest, Bugzee. Your Marco signature looks very, very impressive. It would have been quite the strong contender. :)
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Buggy you slowpoke.
Marco is one of the best chars in whitebeard crew... I won't lie to you if I say that I thought of making a sig representing him... but I was more into black flames than blue ones :P
Anyway, time to put the usual Pub in my sig XD
Also, nice theme Tsukisama, it's tricky and the idea is the one winning not the signature itself :D
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Tsukisama - Thanks. I know. I'm really upset that I missed the deadline. :(

@ Shin - I know. T_T Ahh cool, so you were thinking of the same idea as well? You have a super taste in the arts, my friend! :D I'll defo make an Itachi sig in the future. I'll be looking forward to your feedback and overall verdict on it. ;P
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Only five fire signatures from which to choose this time, but they all look pretty hot! ;) Which will win? You decide! Cast your vote for your favorite within a week to name the hottest of the hot!

The new theme is decided for the Sig Contest, and the theme is reflection. Your submissions can be about reflection in any sense that has some reasonable logic behind it, e.g., mirrors, glass, deep thought, etc. I forgot exactly which user suggested this theme, but kudos goes to whoever did! :hbunny (If I were to guess, I think it was Bugzee, but I know that others have also suggested themes that are on my list and I don't want to give away their credit if that is the case. :sweatdrop)
*Points at himself*

Anyways, I was trying for a blue flame sig as well there bugzee, but I showed a preview of it to a couple of friends, and they said it looked less like flames and more just like some type of energy....
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

That's a pretty cool sig. Too much black, don't you think? Way too dark anyway imo. If you look closely, you can make out the "flame" shape but one instant look it seems more like a wave-design. lol It's still a great effort.

Your renders/pictures are almost too perfect. xD
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Too Perfect?? lol
and the sig wasnt finished I stopped working on it when I received that feedback.
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

*Points at himself*

Anyways, I was trying for a blue flame sig as well there bugzee, but I showed a preview of it to a couple of friends, and they said it looked less like flames and more just like some type of energy....
Ah! So it wasn't Bugzee after all. I just know that Bugzee a while back gave me several lists of themes that had a lot of suggestions on them, but thank you for providing this theme and you deserve special recognition for your creativity. :D

I agree with Bugzee. That signature's flames currently look a bit more like waves (or smoke to me) than flames, but if you were to have called them flames, it would be believable. Your renders do look eerily flawless. If you said you were a professional, I would believe it. XD
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Coffee - Thanks for the theme. Reflection is a great idea for a theme, and there so many ways to approach it. Also, I agree with Bugzee and Tsukisama your renders always look so perfect, I especially liked the one in your strength submission, which was an amazing sig by the way!

@Bugzee - It's so sad that you missed the deadline, the blue flames are beautiful. I love the flaming bird on the left. It's pretty funny, but I even thought of trying to do a Marco sig, but I felt I didn't know his character well enough, so it only briefly entered my mind.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Coffee - Thanks for the theme. Reflection is a great idea for a theme, and there so many ways to approach it. Also, I agree with Bugzee and Tsukisama your renders always look so perfect, I especially liked the one in your strength submission, which was an amazing sig by the way!
Oh yeah great topic! I have an idea for it but I suck at realizing it most likely since I have too few experience and there's some stuff I create that will most likely look terrible. However, as I grow megalomaniac over my ideas sometimes and ignore my bad crafting skills over it I might participate :amuse
The sigs for the fire contest are all so impressive...
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Oh yeah great topic! I have an idea for it but I suck at realizing it most likely since I have too few experience and there's some stuff I create that will most likely look terrible. However, as I grow megalomaniac over my ideas sometimes and ignore my bad crafting skills over it I might participate :amuse
The sigs for the fire contest are all so impressive...
You should definitely participate!!:D I'm just new here too, and you can improve quite quickly once you start making more signatures. Mine were really terrible just a couple of entries/weeks ago. Everyone here also provides very helpful feedback about how to improve you work. Btw, I really like your coloring in the Amateur Coloring Contest Thread. :)
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Thanks alot. I think I'm already finished, sometimes a simpler version can prove to be better :amuse
Was basically like 30 minutes standing under the shower racking my brain about how to deal with my ideas about fancy effects, only to come the conclusion that it looks way better without. I think simplicity can be a valid option, after all 170px height prohibits certain levels of complexity by default anyways. Seems like I gonna have to do some adjustments to make it look viable on such small size.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Nice theme. So far only two ideas, but I dunno how i would pull off one of them though. I don't think i ever did a sasuke sig, so will try and see how it turns out XD
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I started working on my entry but I don't like the results so far.

Maybe the idea is bad, I don't know... I'll make sure that my entry is not the first one to be posted this week lol.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Haha damn I think my concept doesn't quite work under laws of physics without a black hole involved to bend the light :D
Well, ok it's possible I think, just not exactly the way I thought it should be but it still seems relatively viable :amuse
Seems like I won't have space for text whatever I do with it so I guess I should just call it finished.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Roflkopt3r: Dude! you are very welcome to participate! We need more people here :) it makes the contest interesting. Besides, judging by your coloring skills, I doubt that you'll find any difficulty here. Also, if you have an unfinished work or something, just post it and we'll be glad to give you some advices (-_- they are useless most of the time).

------------------------------
So, I will post my possible entry:


??
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Roflkopt3r: Dude! you are very welcome to participate! We need more people here :) it makes the contest interesting. Besides, judging by your coloring skills, I doubt that you'll find any difficulty here. Also, if you have an unfinished work or something, just post it and we'll be glad to give you some advices (-_- they are useless most of the time).
Hrhr, thanks, you're advice is very welcome, even if people only say "Hey that's crap" it's still better than no reply.
Sheesh talking about my skills and then posting a banner on cinematic trailer niveau - I know why I rather try to create a certain atmosphere than fancy effects - because it would look damn poor compared to yours :amuse

I wonder how you manage to get along with the small space so well, I really had to cut on details to make my idea possible in a small format. And I'm not really convinced that I made it obvious enough that it's actually on water - People beeing able to walk on water can be a pain for creating images :D
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Roflkopt3r;2085431[B said:
]I wonder how you manage to get along with the small space so well, I really had to cut on details to make my idea possible in a small format.[/B] And I'm not really convinced that I made it obvious enough that it's actually on water - People beeing able to walk on water can be a pain for creating images :D
That is what makes the competition and this art form so interesting. People think that signatures are easy to make, but it truly does take skill and craft to convey a very beautiful and compelling image on such a restricted canvas. It is like trying to create the best literary work in a text message or on Twitter. :amuse

Your submission does look very good. I could clearly tell that the reflective surface was water. (I read the manga Naruto also and thus was familiar with the scene, but I don't think it colored my opinion on this matter too much.)

Your understated ambiance of the scene is something that is not often seen in the submissions and helps to define your individual style. While fancy effects are nice (and you could try experimenting with them in future contests if you like), your artwork stands on its own and will be a good contender in this competition.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Ah! So it wasn't Bugzee after all. I just know that Bugzee a while back gave me several lists of themes that had a lot of suggestions on them, but thank you for providing this theme and you deserve special recognition for your creativity. :D
I was waiting for this Theme Tsukisams, thank you~~

Anyways speaking of water type themes, how about a Reflection Theme?
<hr noshade size="1">
Sorry about the mistype~

I agree with Bugzee. That signature's flames currently look a bit more like waves (or smoke to me) than flames, but if you were to have called them flames, it would be believable. Your renders do look eerily flawless. If you said you were a professional, I would believe it. XD
They are pictures of actual flames and I just changed the color to them, I even added a different shade in attempt to give it a better contrast.

@ Coffee - Thanks for the theme. Reflection is a great idea for a theme, and there so many ways to approach it. Also, I agree with Bugzee and Tsukisama your renders always look so perfect, I especially liked the one in your strength submission, which was an amazing sig by the way!
Ya I thought I would win the strength one...
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Hrhr, thanks, you're advice is very welcome, even if people only say "Hey that's crap" it's still better than no reply.
Sheesh talking about my skills and then posting a banner on cinematic trailer niveau - I know why I rather try to create a certain atmosphere than fancy effects - because it would look damn poor compared to yours :amuse

I wonder how you manage to get along with the small space so well, I really had to cut on details to make my idea possible in a small format. And I'm not really convinced that I made it obvious enough that it's actually on water - People beeing able to walk on water can be a pain for creating images :D
Thanks :) I had a hard time making the reflection look real on the damn sword... and yeah, I mostly rely on special effects.

Making a good signature that respects size limits is really tough when you have alot of things in your mind. In the end, you will have to minimize the idea itself to fit inside the canvas :D But with time, you will get used to this type of graphic works.

Let's talk about your signature. First of all, the idea itself is super. I wouldn't think of something like that, especially with that pannel. The signature looks pretty and simple. I'm certain that you took your time arranging the parts together and trying to make the reflection look real.
A water reflection is very hard compared to a normal surface one. You chose a hard effect but you did a good job.
There are some water effects in photoshop that u could use to make it look more realistic, but that may affect the picture and make the concept harder to understand.

Thanks again for participating in the contest and I wish you good luck :D
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Ya I thought I would win the strength one...
I could tell by the manner and tone you use in your posts. :P I was :mad on countless occassions when I lost but I got over it. Have you? You still upset?

Have a free hug. :hug

I don't like using renders a lot tbh. I like the rough look. :cool:

Welcome to the sig contest, Roflkopt3r!!! I hope you'll be a regular participant from now on, you are most welcome to join in with the discussions and whatnot. Great submission btw. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top