- Joined
- Dec 20, 2006
- Messages
- 8,247
- Reaction score
- 3,239
- Age
- 41
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
They don't. And it's not about being pro genocide or anti-Muslim or anything like that. People just don't make decisions about their own country's politics based on how they affect people outside of said country. Unless ofcourse that outside country is somehow harming their country.If the election is between Biden and trump then the choice is basically between an israel supporter and an even more committed israel supporter. I don't see anyone giving a shit about this coming November.
You know what? I don't gain anything by attacking you for your views on the Israel-Palestine conflict. I don't hate you, and I'm tired of being a condescending ass.If I didn't care about Palestinians though, why would I keep posting stuff about them knowing I could get in trouble for doing so? People who have spoke up for Palestine, even saying ceasefire, have gotten fired, lost their scholarships, and doxxed, especially Muslims, while Israelis and Israel supporters have openly called for murder without repercussion. Unlike you, I actually care about lives, not what affects me.
Maybe you do care about Palestinian people. I simply disagree with how you're going about helping them. I think it leads to more dead Palestinians.
I apologize for being so abrasive. Genuinely.
Maybe I could try a little harder to explain my dismissiveness of what's going on in the Gaza strip:
When you're at home watching tv and you see a commercial about starving children in Africa, with swollen bellies and sunken eyes and skeletal limbs, the natural empathetic human response is to wince and feel bad, and wish for the best for these children, right? Of course. We're all good people here.
But then the commercial ends, and you get right back to watching whatever syndicated sitcom was on tv at the time, and you forget about these children until the next commercial break. Cue the Sara McLaughlin music, cue the watery eyes, cue the guilty feelings. You know, for the minute and a half or so that the commercial lasts. And then it's gone again.
Human beings are tribal. Empathy is a tool meant to increase our survival by making us stronger pack animals via strong emotional attachment to those in our immediate group. Our tribe. Our family. And that attachment is less strong the further out you get from that family. People who are different from you in more stark ways (say race, culture, economic status, etc) tend to receive less of our empathetic feelings. And that's not by choice. You just don't fucking care about people that you don't regularly interact with.
And that's where I'm at. Shit sucks over in the middle east. But shit sucks here too, and I'm not willing to make it suck more over here to make it suck less over there, especially when both sides of this war have less empathy for each other than I have for either of them. That doesn't contradict my secular humanist values at all, so I'm good.
But then the commercial ends, and you get right back to watching whatever syndicated sitcom was on tv at the time, and you forget about these children until the next commercial break. Cue the Sara McLaughlin music, cue the watery eyes, cue the guilty feelings. You know, for the minute and a half or so that the commercial lasts. And then it's gone again.
Human beings are tribal. Empathy is a tool meant to increase our survival by making us stronger pack animals via strong emotional attachment to those in our immediate group. Our tribe. Our family. And that attachment is less strong the further out you get from that family. People who are different from you in more stark ways (say race, culture, economic status, etc) tend to receive less of our empathetic feelings. And that's not by choice. You just don't fucking care about people that you don't regularly interact with.
And that's where I'm at. Shit sucks over in the middle east. But shit sucks here too, and I'm not willing to make it suck more over here to make it suck less over there, especially when both sides of this war have less empathy for each other than I have for either of them. That doesn't contradict my secular humanist values at all, so I'm good.
@kckk: Well... the idea is that Republicans CLAIM to be anti-illegal immigration, not anti-immigration completely. Right? Perhaps that's the logic behind it. Even if it's really just a dishonest ploy to prove that Republicans actually hate ALL forms of immigration so we can further typecast them as the Racist Party for them fighting even the "good" kind of immigration. I'm just spitballing here.
Sure would help if we HAD A CONSERVATIVE IN THE THREAD WHO COULD SHARE THEIR OPINIONS ON THE MATTER.
Last edited: