Re: NBA thread
well, I have no comments about the elbow incidents, as I haven't seen those games myself...and I'm more interested in the stats..
You're absolutely right, there is something wrong with the Lakers...let's face it, his teammates suck! I've seen Kobe improved so much in the last two years. Critics always complain he doesn't pass the ball, well he's done that this year. He's distributed the ball in order to get his teammates involved. If you recall from the Suns first round playoff match up last season, he even went to the extent of being almost nearly passive, yet his teammates couldn't even contribute.
The problem isn't with Kobe, but the lackness in depth with this Laker team.
However, the Lakers has gotten better this year, but they've been plagued by injuries all year so their standings in the West is somewhat misleading.
I think Kobe is ridiculously underrated in this league. I mean instead of getting compliments about his impressive scoring performance, the focus is immediately towards his selfishness.
Can't he catch a break?
His shooting percentage in the past four games has been about 50 percent, well above his normal average. Clearly not an indication of selfishness with the ball, but more on scoring efficiency.
True, those teams he's played against aren't elite teams, but seriously, can you really deny that he's that good? Drop 50 at least once on the weakest team in the league, is impressive enough for any player, but to do it four consective times?
lol, sorry I didn't mean to get carried away. I'm just enthusiastic about this whole mess, not bickering with you.
EDIT: Kobe didn't extend his streak to 5 games...he fell 7 points short; Kobe scored 43 points, and his Lakers defeated the Golden State Warriors, making this their 5th straight win, tying their season best streak.
Kobe's 4 consecutive 50+ point performance is only second best behind Wilt Chamberlain's 7 straight (he also did a 5 game and a 4 game streak on separate occasions).
Side note: before this 5 straight Lakers winning streak, this team has experienced the worst losing streak of Phil Jackson's head coaching career, 7 straight games!
I guess you can say that as the playoffs are getting closer and their playoff position becoming more significant, this is Kobe's way of demonstrating to his teammates a "sense of urgency" that they've been thoroughly lacking all year. (They're currently 6th place in the West, comfortably 2 games ahead of 7th placed Denver Nuggets).
I don't think he is a selfish player, although he has been before. But he's definitely "matured". I've never seen a guy who works as hard as Kobe (besides Allen Iverson), who cares nothing more than to win. How can you look negatively at that? Heck, even his teammates are "awed" by him. And what's so great about Kobe's overall maturity as a leader of his club this season is his supportiveness of his teammates, in and outside the court. He has been said to have created good "bonds" with his teammates, and that's still not enough to please the Kobe haters. Smush Parker has testified that Kobe has been a mentor to him, and the same can be said from Luke Walton. And you can see his good relationship with his teammates just by watching him with his team. A selfish player is someone who is typically disliked by his teammates. I don't see any evidence of that at all, and I watch Laker games on a regular basis.
It seems a bit unfair of all the negative scrutiny this guy has gotten in his career, and instead of pausing for just a moment and compliment him on his incredible performance, all we can bother to look at is his "dirtiness" as a player, of which he has already paid his dues (game suspensions and monetary fines).
To see the full story from ESPN, here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2812067