Art DGM Volume Covers Thread

Lomahongva

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
697
Reaction score
795
Gender
Female
Country
Spain
Are you talking about the little blurbs Hoshino puts on the inner covers of all the volumes? If so, I have all the volumes in English up to volume 19 (the last one to be released), all of which have the blurbs translated, and I can easily transcribe them here for you. If you want I could definitely also scan the pictures that go with them (and in those cases I have the untranslated blurbs with their pictures for volumes 20 and 21 as well).

If that's not what you meant, then you'll have to be more specific, as I have no idea what you're talking about. :s
Well, I'm talking about the images/little storys that are in the inner covers (ex.: Vol. 19 when Cyryl tries to change Tyky's appearance 'cuz him's very messy and the Earl brings him Wisely), so I think yeah, they're the blurbs.
If this is it yeesss I'd we very pleased if you could give me the scripts and scans:D (from 3th and 15). In that case I'll talk to you or I'll send you a PM.
 

ruinedshadows

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 12, 2007
Messages
45
Reaction score
10
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Well, I'm talking about the images/little storys that are in the inner covers (ex.: Vol. 19 when Cyryl tries to change Tyky's appearance 'cuz him's very messy and the Earl brings him Wisely), so I think yeah, they're the blurbs.
If this is it yeesss I'd we very pleased if you could give me the scripts and scans:D (from 3th and 15). In that case I'll talk to you or I'll send you a PM.
Oh, the bonus manga that are usually on the insides of the covers? I thought you were talking about the blurbs that she puts on the actual cover flaps. Now I know what you're talking about.
For some reason Viz Media/Shonen Jump seems to be very inconsistent with which bonus materials they put in the volumes. I checked, and all I can find for the 19th volume are the blurb from the cover flap and the little 4-koma comics she has. However, I have that volume in Japanese and I see what you were referring to. :/

For the third volume I can't find any bonus materials at all other than the cover-blurb.
As for the 15th volume, though, I found a bunch of bonus images in the Viz-translated version. I don't know where they're from, but I'll scan them and PM them to you as soon as I can. :)
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Viz usually includes entire drawings, but if Hoshino does a 4koma, Viz butchers it.


On a related note, my Volume 20 is on its way! Let's see if they do a good job this time.

(Volume 19 was a mess. They referred to Marie as a "she", they literally translated all of the Noahs names, so we got "Waizurii", "Maitora", "Fiidora", etc., and Alma said "they say you're name is Yuu", which stood out like a sore thumb)
 

Niko_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
917
Reaction score
1,160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
If you want to see the extras, you can download the raw of the volumes! If you want, i send to you in private message a web that contain the raws of vol 01 to 20. 21 it's not available.
 

harmaa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Messages
205
Reaction score
17
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Still waiting on a raw of 21... :( Lots of people have said they're going to scan it, but nothing's been posted.
 

Sydney

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
(Volume 19 was a mess. They referred to Marie as a "she", they literally translated all of the Noahs names, so we got "Waizurii", "Maitora", "Fiidora", etc., and Alma said "they say you're name is Yuu", which stood out like a sore thumb)
I agree with this. Viz used to do such a good job on the earlier volumes that I didn't mind buying them. I prefer to have the actual manga in front of me, but it seems they are doing a poor job recently. And this isn't the first time they translated Marie as a "she." I know Marie is a female name, but he doesn't look feminine at all. I don't see how they can have such a horrible mistake.
 

ketorin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
463
Reaction score
137
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I just got my volume 20 and it doesn't seem like they did too bad of a job. (I'll need to examine it a bit closer) Though the Noah's names are still the literal translation which is just weird. At least they got Edgar's name right.
They've always just been pretty bad on the names and stuff. In some of my volumes Lavi will randomly be Rabi and Reever Riba. Quite annoying.
Personally not even the earlier volumes were that great either.
I hate how they turned 'womb' into Mother's Body. womb sounds a whole lot better. These Viz guys need to learn a thing or two from our translators here.
 
Last edited:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
The first four volumes were hit-or-miss. We got lots of Linali's, Riba's, Rabi's, etc., but after volume five things started to stabilize.

Though I believe they do sometimes spell Komui as Kamui, even in the later volumes. And they can't seem to decide on Lvellie's real name. Revelier, Rouvelier, or Rouverlier? They're all wrong, but they could at least go with one of them.
 

Niko_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
917
Reaction score
1,160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
OMG, I just bought my 21 volume today! Its sooooo beautiful! I can't scan it right now, but i'll do it this saturday (02/18) or next Saturday (02/25), so I will reveal some details about the volume:
The volume contain a poster of Allen and Kanda (that pic that was cover of Jump SQ last year).
There's a lot of change in the images, Hoshino re-draw many things and it's so beautiful! I loved!
That poster of strip Allen is on the volume, but that poster of Lenalee and Kanda (section of photos 2) didn't come with the volume.. =// (maybe in the 22 volume?)
And for the end, this volume is saying that volume 22 will be on sale on June/2011. That's it. When I scan the volume, i'll post it here.
*the volume is so amazing, i'm freaking out!*
 
Last edited:

luna_wolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
237
Reaction score
23
Gender
Female
Country
England
That poster of strip Allen is on the volume, but that poster of Lenalee and Kanda (section of photos 2) didn't come with the volume.. =// (maybe in the 22 volume?)
the kanda and lenalee one is with the third reverse novel.

I completely agree with niko, she definatly worked hard on making this volume extra pretty!

I'm still trying to figure out my new printer/scanner settings, because it only picks up black and strong colour. it wont pick up greys and the instruction manual is seriously unhelpful. when i finally get the damn thing to work, ill help scan the novel

I wonder what will be on the front cover of the new book!
i wouldn't mind something innocence orientated, because I love the way Hoshino recently drew the feathery innocence.
 

Niko_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
917
Reaction score
1,160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
the kanda and lenalee one is with the third reverse novel.

I completely agree with niko, she definatly worked hard on making this volume extra pretty!

I'm still trying to figure out my new printer/scanner settings, because it only picks up black and strong colour. it wont pick up greys and the instruction manual is seriously unhelpful. when i finally get the damn thing to work, ill help scan the novel

I wonder what will be on the front cover of the new book!
i wouldn't mind something innocence orientated, because I love the way Hoshino recently drew the feathery innocence.
I was thinking about that! Maybe the cardinal and some noahs? Anyway, I love every draw that Hoshino make. ^^
 

Lomahongva

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
697
Reaction score
795
Gender
Female
Country
Spain
Mmm the idea of the cardinal for the 22th volume sounds great...I'd like it in the front cover... and Sheryl and the other Noah in the back or maybe with Bookman.
Thanks for the link, Niko_kun, I found the drawing I didn't have.
And for the quality of the volumes, I've noticed some diferences between them. In Spain and France, D. Gray-Man is published by Glénat, a French publisher, but the're some differences: in France, they add the extras and also the inner covers I was looking for (I've volumes 6, 7 and 19 in French). They also respect the typography for the serie's logo, which they don't do in Spain, but some panels seem of bad quality (I think they're a bit blurred) and some dialogues difficult to read (when there's a little space for the character's lines). In the other hand, the Spanish edition is a bit little but, they add an extra space in the spine of the volume to let you read it better (I mean, sometimes you had to force the book when the dialogues are too near of the spine). But in the rest of the terms I think they're good editions, without name's spelling mistakes or things like that.
 
Last edited:

Niko_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
917
Reaction score
1,160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Mmm the idea of the cardinal for the 22th volume sounds great...I'd like it in the front cover... and Sheryl and the other Noah in the back or maybe with Bookman.
Thanks for the link, Niko_kun, I found the drawing I didn't have.
And for the quality of the volumes, I've noticed some diferences between them. In Spain and France, D. Gray-Man is published by Glénat, a French publisher, but the're some differences: in France, they add the extras and also the inner covers I was looking for (I've volumes 6, 7 and 19 in French). They also respect the typography for the serie's logo, which they don't do in Spain, but some panels seem of bad quality (I think they're a bit blurred) and some dialogues difficult to read (when there's a little space for the character's lines). In the other hand, the Spanish edition is a bit little but, they add an extra space in the spine of the volume to let you read it better (I mean, sometimes you had to force the book when the dialogues are too near of the spine). But in the rest of the terms I think they're good editions, without name's spelling mistakes or things like that.
Hey, you're welcome :) and about the volumes, here where i live, D.G is publishing by panini (a brazilian publisher). They include everything that japanese volumes contain. But sometimes, they don't publish the draws of d gray man fans (of Japan). But it's ok... they put even the posters. So, i like they work.
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Hehehe, Lenalee looks cute. Really big hips there.
But i wasn't expecting her to be on this cover.
 

Mango-chan

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
193
Reaction score
129
Gender
Female
Country
United States
That cover fits really well with the last panel of Ch. 205. Man, Lenalee hasn't had a cover to herself in ages!
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
That cover fits really well with the last panel of Ch. 205. Man, Lenalee hasn't had a cover to herself in ages!
Agree. Only now i can see the Ark Portal behing her, after turning the contrast and brightness back up (i use them low when i have headaches).
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I actually really like this cover.

Lenalee hasn't been on a cover since like... Volume 13. And even then, it was just a part of Lavi's flashback.

I'll cry if there's any blue or purple in the cover. And I'm absolutely certain that at least one of those colors will be present...
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
^ Hoshino?? Doing a volume without purple? :lmao

Oh wow, this cover. :wtf This is such a pleasant surprise to me. This is....this is the first time I've liked a cover ever since Hoshino moved to Jump SQ. T_T I'm so happy, thank you for finding this, Heiji-sama!

Also, I like how Lenalee has her thundering thighs back again. They were missed!

Edit: Is it just me or can I make out the title of the volume under the "22"? Does it say "Fate"?
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Yes, thank you for posting! This really is a great cover. I can't wait to see it in full swing. I'm sure the colors are going to be fantastic. And yeah, I didn't notice the Ark in the background at first either. !!! I'm so excited!

Though the cover with Tyki, Road, and Allen is still my favorite of them all by far. :D
 

Niko_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
917
Reaction score
1,160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think this cover will have purple. Seems like hoshino loves purple xD Lenalee is so cute in this cover, really like this!
 
Top