Shounen Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Oh, really? Thanks. I wasn't sure if we'd ever really see a libero in this series. Another wing spiker? How many new players are going to be added? It's good that Suga actually gets to play, as I was worried that he wasn't going to, even though he was the regular setter.

What chapter are the raws up to these days?
The new wing spiker is actually an old player who quit the club but is eventually convinced to return. Oh, and the awesome thing about Suga playing is that he actually plays against Kageyama. So it ends up being a match of the 6 players we're all used to vs. Suga, the new wing spiker, the libero, and a few guys from the community volleyball group.

This week is chapter 20, so we're... not that far behind? I'm about 25% done translating chapter 17, too.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
The new wing spiker is actually an old player who quit the club but is eventually convinced to return. Oh, and the awesome thing about Suga playing is that he actually plays against Kageyama. So it ends up being a match of the 6 players we're all used to vs. Suga, the new wing spiker, the libero, and a few guys from the community volleyball group.

This week is chapter 20, so we're... not that far behind? I'm about 25% done translating chapter 17, too.
Ah, I see. Well, more returning players is a bit tiresome, but I can live, I guess. That's nice for Suga, but I expect that they lose and then Suga ends up back on the bench.

Yeah, that's only five chapters behind, so not bad at all. I had thought more chapters had occurred given the description you'd provided.

Good luck with your tls.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Can you put your spoiler in spoiler tags please. Not everyone wants to know what happen next.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
All I have to say about chapter 16 is that I cracked up when it showed Nishinoya to be even shorter than Hinata and also I'm almost 100% sure that Ukai is that guy from the store (can't fool me Furudate).
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
All I have to say about chapter 16 is that I cracked up when it showed Nishinoya to be even shorter than Hinata and also I'm almost 100% sure that Ukai is that guy from the store (can't fool me Furudate).
Liberos are always short, so I more or less expected it when we learned that he was going to be a libero.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Man, after reading those 16 chapters I'm not surprised about its TOC positions anymore. Haikyuu!! managed to completely suck me in. Refreshing humor and art. Action and characters are fantastic as well.

Hope this sticks around for a little longer than JUMP's other new series.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I will agree that it's been the best of any of Jump's sports series in awhile, and completely realistic series are refreshing. The art also provides a surprisingly good contrast, so it works.

---------- Post added July 15, 2012 at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was July 11, 2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

Chapter 17 arrives: http://www.mangareader.net/haikyu/17
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
As foreseen by Drmke, the coach is the store attendant guy. So I guess convincing him and the ace guy to join the team will be what happens before the next game.
The chapters continue to be a very enjoyable read. with just the bit of humour necessary. I loved the ellipse of the manager slap :-)
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I love that colour page a lot. It looks great as the sports manga is...

It is really refreshing because a story is told and characters are developed. Most sports manga make a mistake that forming a team, etc is inferior to the play itself. Haikyuu! is walking the ES21 way: forming a team, character development is initially superior to the plays itself. Anyway, Hinata is clearyly going to be the person who'll get the team back. Asahi, Nishinoya and Ukai... they will return
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Nishinoya is aaaaaaawesome!! Totally fell in love with his character. Especially his interactions with Hinata are hilarious.

So far Haikyu! has not dissapointed and continues being entertaining.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
The one thing that I'm worried about with Haikyuu is the actual matches. I'm worried that Karasuno will become too strong too quickly and a lot of opposing teams may not put up that great of a challenge. Even in the match with the Grand King's school, the opposing players weren't that great, but aside from that, the match was more about talking than playing. I guess what I'm saying is that I fear that Haikyuu will end up being too talky. It doesn't have to be all about sports, but the matches should feel fulfilled and actually about playing.

We'll see how the series turns out, but it is something I'll be thinking about. So far, Haikyuu's been quite good.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Truth to be said, I'm fine with it as is. Because currently, I'm not reading it for the sport itself, but rather for the entertaining characters and the fantastic sense of humor the manga-ka has (though I also enjoy the matches and everything surrounding volleyball). Furthermore, I think rather than trying to create great sport action, Furudate tries to use volleyball as a means for character development, which, so far, has worked out quite well.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Frost, do you read ahiru no sora ? I recently started it and i think you would like it.
From the spoiler we had,
it seems like it's not the start of a real match yet, I wonder what is the problem of the new Ace
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Frost, do you read ahiru no sora ? I recently started it and i think you would like it.
From the spoiler we had,
it seems like it's not the start of a real match yet, I wonder what is the problem of the new Ace
I've looked at AnS, but I'm not a huge fan.

Well, as was revealed by another forum user earlier, we get a match with Sugu first, and then we'll move onto a tournament or something. The wing spiker ace probably just has some big trumped up explanation for why he won't play, but he'll easily get over it by seeing our duo play.
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
From chapter 18:

Tobio: Um... I don't really understand what's going on, but... Is he injured or something?
Koushi: No, he's fine.
Tobio: Then... he can't return for some reason?
Koushi: No... there aren't any sort of external factors. The problem is probably that he's come to hate volleyball.
Shou: EHHHH?! Such a big guy who's called in ace... Why...?
Koushi: ...Asahi is strong and was the tallest person we had. He would succeed despite dire situations and difficult-to-hit balls, so everyone thinks of him as our ace. But... I depended on him too much.
Tobio: ...you suffered a crushing defeat?
Koushi: ...in that match... Asahi's spikes were completely and utterly blocked...
Shou: !? Ehh... Th...
Koushi: You're thinking "that's all?", right?
Shou: Ah! No! Getting blocked is really really really annoying, so I completely understand that. ...but... to hate volleyball because of it...
Koushi: ...you could say that Asahi, as our ace, would always be targeted, even in serving and blocking, but even so, in that match, we were utterly unable to do anything... Asahi is the sort who would feel doubly responsible, so...
(Asahi): "Even if I come back, I'll just drag everyone down again."

@_@ I really wish I could translate it faster, sob.
 

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
716
Reaction score
622
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
One page flashback of Nishinoya and Asahi. Nishinoya says his duty is to keep the ball from touching the floor. "Midair battles" aren't his territory. No matter how much they get blocked, as long as he can lift it back up, the "Ace" has an opportunity to score.

And then it continues from last chapter. Koushi introduces Asahi to Hinata and Kageyama, says they're 2 of the 4 first years. Asahi tells Hinata to work hard, which Hinata replies "aren't we gonna work hard together?". "Because I aspire to be an Ace, so I wanna see what a real Ace is like". Asahi replies he ain't an ace, and walks off.


*insert Lynxian's already translated part right here*


After that, Hinata and Kageyama rushes off since they're running late. Hinata thinks if you can hate volleyball just because of that. Kageyama doesn't think we can conclude he hates volleyball just yet.

At the gymnasium, Nishinoya is showing off a ridiculously named technique (Rolling Thunder), which has everybody laughing at him save for Hinata (who wants him to teach him it). Anyway, here's where Take-san comes in and tells everybody the good news.

There's gonna be a Golden Week Camp (loosely translated ok). The jist is: last week of Golden Week Camp, they've got a practice match with their long-time rival, Nekoma.

Tanaka says the coaches of each team see each other as rivals and usually challenge each other, no matter how far they have to travel. Koushi says they're a strong team as well, so it's worth to have a practice match with them. And every time when the two rivals have a match, people usually flock to watch it. Daichi wonders how Take got the match organized. Take says nevermind the little details, he wants to see this "chance of a battle". Maybe when "he" knows who they're playing, "he" too will move (he's cryptically mentioning Asahi or Ukai Keishin).

Here, Nishinoya tells Daichi he doesn't wanna participate in the practice match. He doesn't like it. "..even without Asahi and able to win, that sort of thing...I don't like it". "It's like we're proving we can still win without Asahi...". Daichi says fine, but he still has to take part in the training camp.

The next day, Hinata and Kageyama visit 3rd year class 3 again to persuade Asahi. It's pretty roundabout, but Hinata leaves Asahi with the message "besides that, you still want to feel the joy of successfully completing a spike, right...". Kageyama leaves saying "it's obvious that one person can't win it all...that's why the court has 6 people..."

At the end of the chapter, Asahi walks past the gymnasium and catches a glimpse of Hinata and Kageyama training, and hearing their opponent will be Nekoma.

EDIT:

A transition chapter, basically. Ukai Keishin agrees to coach, until their match comes up. Asahi returns at the same time. Ukai has a practice run, to gauge everybody's skills. So as mentioned by Lynxian earlier, we have Daichi/Hinata/Tsukishima/Tanaka/Kageyama/som2ndyearIdunno vs. Asahi/Nishinoya/Koushi/some3rdyearIdunno/3othersfromthecommunity.


A background chapter, basically.

Koushi sets up a ball, it gets spiked and scores. On the other side, Kageyama sets one up for Hinata, he spikes and scores, and everybody is amazed at how he can jump like that.

Asahi in awe has a flashback...

In an old match about a month ago. Asahi spikes, gets blocked, Nishinoya dives and miss. In another play, Nishinoya rescues one ball, Koushi gets ready to set it up, but he and Nishinoya notices Asahi is blanked out, sets it to Daichi who spikes and gets blocked again. Game ends, they lost.

In the equipment room, Nishinoya and Asahi have a heated argument about Asahi giving up on Nishinoya's receives/rescues so easily (this is where Asahi accidentally steps on that broom, breaking it). And then we see Nishinoya confronting Asahi when he doesn't turn up to practices. Asahi thinks what's the point of having an Ace who can't even score one point. This angers Nishinoya, accidentally pushes the principal back who bumps into a vase, smashing it (this is where he gets suspended).

Flashback ends and Asahi wants to try it once more. Even if they get blocked again, he wants to try again. Nishinoya is relieved to finally hear him say that. The match continues with Hinata serving, one of the players hits it to Asahi saying this ones his. Asahi gears up, jumps, spiiiiikkkkes........and gets blocked by a Kageyama/Tsuki/Tanaka wall. Kageyama praises the strength of the spike despite his one month of inactivity.

But in a surprise move, Nishinoya rescues the blocked spike (barely). Seems his specific training to rescue these kinds of ball paid off.

("Even if it gets blocked and rebounds back....I'll lift it back up...so..")

"So once more! Call out for a toss, Ace!!"
 
Last edited:

Drago

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
405
Reaction score
260
Gender
Male
Country
India
One page flashback of Nishinoya and Asahi. Nishinoya says his duty is to keep the ball from touching the floor. "Midair battles" aren't his territory. No matter how much they get blocked, as long as he can lift it back up, the "Ace" has an opportunity to score.

And then it continues from last chapter. Koushi introduces Asahi to Hinata and Kageyama, says they're 2 of the 4 first years. Asahi tells Hinata to work hard, which Hinata replies "aren't we gonna work hard together?". "Because I aspire to be an Ace, so I wanna see what a real Ace is like". Asahi replies he ain't an ace, and walks off.


*insert Lynxian's already translated part right here*


After that, Hinata and Kageyama rushes off since they're running late. Hinata thinks if you can hate volleyball just because of that. Kageyama doesn't think we can conclude he hates volleyball just yet.

At the gymnasium, Nishinoya is showing off a ridiculously named technique (Rolling Thunder), which has everybody laughing at him save for Hinata (who wants him to teach him it). Anyway, here's where Take-san comes in and tells everybody the good news.

There's gonna be a Golden Week Camp (loosely translated ok). The jist is: last week of Golden Week Camp, they've got a practice match with their long-time rival, Nekoma.

Tanaka says the coaches of each team see each other as rivals and usually challenge each other, no matter how far they have to travel. Koushi says they're a strong team as well, so it's worth to have a practice match with them. And every time when the two rivals have a match, people usually flock to watch it. Daichi wonders how Take got the match organized. Take says nevermind the little details, he wants to see this "chance of a battle". Maybe when "he" knows who they're playing, "he" too will move (he's cryptically mentioning Asahi or Ukai Keishin).

Here, Nishinoya tells Daichi he doesn't wanna participate in the practice match. He doesn't like it. "..even without Asahi and able to win, that sort of thing...I don't like it". "It's like we're proving we can still win without Asahi...". Daichi says fine, but he still has to take part in the training camp.

The next day, Hinata and Kageyama visit 3rd year class 3 again to persuade Asahi. It's pretty roundabout, but Hinata leaves Asahi with the message "besides that, you still want to feel the joy of successfully completing a spike, right...". Kageyama leaves saying "it's obvious that one person can't win it all...that's why the court has 6 people..."

At the end of the chapter, Asahi walks past the gymnasium and catches a glimpse of Hinata and Kageyama training, and hearing their opponent will be Nekoma.

Not sure if it's known, but seems English scans are 4 chapter behind (latest chapter is 21). I'll summarize 19-21 later once I've got a better hang of the specific names and terms to this series.
Thanks Knife.
I just logged in to say 'thank you' for your hard work, Please take your time and post the summaries of rest of the chapter. I love this manga.
Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Drago

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Edit - Can someone give me links of raw chapter upto 21?
 

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
716
Reaction score
622
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
After Nishinoya saves the ball by literally a hand, it goes to Koushi who prepares to set it. Just that he doesn't know who to. Kageyama eggs him to try it again with Asahi, try until it works. Asahi eventually stops being emo and remembers that he's not 'fighting the battle by himself', he has his team mates. He jumps, spikes, and succeeds. Hinata gets excited seeing the spike and exclaims "next it's his time to shine".

And shine he does. Ukai, Nishinoya, and Asahi stare in awe when Hinata and Kageyama do one of their 'nonchalant set and spike' (ie: when Kageyama passes it to Hinata to spike without either of them having to make eye contact or make a sound). Asahi gets even more impressed when Hinata jumps up to block him, right in his face before he's even touch the ball. He "blocks it", but being an amateur it rebounds off his hand and goes out. Hinata is so impressed at the strength that he later spaces out and in a moment of envy ends up getting smacked in the head by one of Asahi's spikes.

After getting up and reassuring he's fine, he notices Kageyama glaring at him (the same as that time he smacked the ball at the back of his head). Kageyama surmises he knows what he's thinking. As well as excited to finally see the team's Ace, he's also jealous and envious. Because he's "just a decoy" in comparison. Hinata retorts even if it's true there's nothing wrong with that and an egotistical person like him wouldn't understand.

The heated situation between the two gets interrupted by the janitor who comes to lock up the gym, but is persuaded by their manager to give them more time and he'll lock up afterwards.

The game continues on to the 2nd set, and Kageyama requests that the next time he passes to that bastard, he wants the senpais to block him with all their strength. After mockingly saying Hinata only has a bit of speed and a quick bounce in his feet he has no skills at all, but as long as he's [Kageyama] there he [Hinata] will be strong, he later shows to Hinata that the 1 point gained by the Ace and the 1 point gained by "just this decoy" is no different at all.


Will spoil Ch 24: "Karasuno, Time to Take Action" and the latest Ch 25: "Meeting" later. It's when the plot starts moving again and the good bit begins. : D
 
Last edited:
Top