Discussion Hunter x Hunter Hangout [00]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

For anyone interested Viz has (finally) started putting up volumes digitally on their manga site. I haven't really had the chance to collect the manga(and finding older volumes would probably be just about impossible now) so it's a good chance to check out the english translations since I haven't really seen them before.
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

This is great! news Viz has finally done something right. I highly recommend people to check out the viz manga translation and plus the art work looks great in the volumes.

free preview here.
http://www.vizmanga.com/hunter-x-hunter
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

yea this managa dserves alot more attention than what it gets. Im honestly surprised that it isnt as popular as mangas like one piece or naruto because its definitely up there! oh im definitely sticking with this, this stuff is pure gold. How long do the hiatuses usually last? it ended at such a high point with beyond netero and venturing to a new planet and the zodiacs, im itching for news of the mangas return
HxH is definitely a good manga, and i have read Bleach,Naruto and Bleach.So,it's definitely on that level.
Well,it has some quality that are lacking compared to other manga.
1)The hiatus-The break that he takes are maddening.I survived through 3 of them.Many people have pretty much given up on waiting.I have been a fan of HxH since I was 12...
2)The art quality during chimera ant arc-The sketchy version of the art were really bad.I was really tempt to stop reading due to the art but the story kept me going.
3)Lack of female characters.Female characters are pretty much non existent in this manga.
4)The 1999 version of the anime didn't really help much in drawing in fans because a lot of them gave up before the hunter exam arc even ended.The pace was so agonizingly slow ,people felt it was boring.

Hopefully with the new anime which has a much better pace compare to the 1999 version ,it will gain more fans.And with the current manga arc, the release of a new video game ,hxH will be even more popular. I do hope that Togashi quickly resumed back soon so that he won't lose this opportunity.
Also,welcome to this part of the forum.
 

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Good thing here in Brazil the volumes go for approximately 6 dollars. All of them are the same price (the price in the cover).
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I once read that One Piece volumes are split in half and sold seperately in Brazil. Is it the same with Hunter x Hunter and/or any other manga series?
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Akia999 summed it up pretty well what was wrong with HxH in a nutshell in terms of drawing in new fans. I think that's one reason Yorknew is still easily my favorite arc actually, it has a good ratio of male to female characters in the story between Neon, Melody, Pakunoda, Shizuku, Machi, Veze and the arc immediately afterwords you get Biscuit. So at the time (early 2000s) it felt like it had good female representation but the other arcs literally only have like 1 girl in them almost, that has been a turn off actually for some people I know. (Which I think is a shame)

The 1999 series really doesn't pick up its pace till the 4th phase of the exam ( and for some not till Heaven's Arena) so getting to those parts of the series is like pulling teeth for some. (Though Its how I got into and fell in love with the series, I tend to tell most folks the first 20 episodes of 1999 are something you simply have to endure to get into it, that is until the new series came out :) ) Overall despite slow bits of 1999, I tend to prefer HxH animated over manga (1999 or 2011) mostly because I have trouble rereading the earlier chapters at parts due to the artistry feeling inconsistant.

It's funny how the artwork in the manga during the Chimera Ant arc turned some away, once he went back and cleaned it up for volume releases I think it blows away the art from previous arcs. I always felt Heaven's Arena wasn't drawn all that well compared to other arcs actually, or did anyone else notice the blatant amount of reused panels/character faces in Yorknew? When I think of lower quality art days those are nearly as prominent to me as the NGL bad art moments.

I really hope Togashi tries to end the series honestly before too much longer (after the next 2-3 arcs tops) allowing the new series to catch up and extend the series for at least another 2-3 years but then bowing out before he drags it on another decade in hiatuses. (kind of pessimistic of me, I suppose, I just think he deserves rest and after being a fan almost 8 years I am ready for HxH to end before another 1-2 year long hiatus.)
 
Last edited:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Don't worry, TheAmericandream, its obvious Togashi WANTS to make a new arc, otherwise he would have ended HXH in Chimera Ant arc, after all it could have been a nice ending to the story letting some unanswered questions but still a satisfying ending.. Coming from the guy that finished his previous work on a blink, I think its a good thing Togashi actually committed to make a new arc.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I feel that Chimera Ants arc had a decent amount of female characters. At least more than Greed Island. But I think G.I. compensates by featuring a heavily predominant female character in Biscuit. She is to date the only female character that you could consider 'main' at one point. Some could make an argument for Palm though.

But truthfully I don't think male to female balance has ever been a real problem in this manga. The problem is that it goes on hiatus too frequently. That is in my opinion the sole reason why it's had trouble capturing new fans. There is a more even split between males and females than many other manga (Toriko) so I really find this claim to be baffling. Some of my favourite HxH characters are female haha.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

When Gon turns atleast 20 than i'll know the manga is ending. :hip
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Yea 18 is Gon vs Bomber's party and the first 3 chapters of NGL, so start of NGL arc. 14 is like training with Biscuit. GI technically starts in volume 13. So yea, I think its Kurapika fans snatching up the volumes! I find that hilarious that you've solved the puzzle of the missing volumes!
Covers:







They're all going for between 23 (used)-50 dollars new. I'm sure it will only get worse unless they decide to reprint them.

Lol.

Good thing I own Volume 8. Though it cost me like $30.

Volume 9 of course has Kurapika vs Uvogin.

I can't wait for it to be digitally published (or even better if they reprint it)

Volume 18...LOL. Kurapika isn't even in it. But it does start the Chimera Ant Arc. :D

Volume 14 is basically where Greed Island REALLY starts. Though Volume 13 is like the training for it. Scissors man is cool! Actually one of my favorite fights in the series.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Scissor guy just wow, one of the only parts of the GI OVA's i can say is genuinely to me "Amazing". IT felt like one of the good animation moments from the 1999 series. I rewatched it the other day. Him screaming "I just want a normal life" mid fight is hilarious to me for some reason. But yea, 8, 14 and 18 are all Arc beginning volumes essentially. 9 is just lol more Kurapika.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Scissor guy just wow, one of the only parts of the GI OVA's i can say is genuinely to me "Amazing". IT felt like one of the good animation moments from the 1999 series. I rewatched it the other day. Him screaming "I just want a normal life" mid fight is hilarious to me for some reason. But yea, 8, 14 and 18 are all Arc beginning volumes essentially. 9 is just lol more Kurapika.

Heh.

I just watched the fight a few seconds ago.

I thought I remembered the animation being a lot better. It's actually not that great.
The beginning of the fight is rather dull because it moves at a snails pace but when they
actually DO get to the good part of the fight you can tell there is a lot of repeated motions
and it's all blurry and stuff with the hands..They look like they are fighting with stubs.
And even with all the action going on there's a ton of still frames and images.
But it was a highlight of Greed Island to me because it was like when I was watching
it before it was like "Ok boring yu-gi-oh plot" YAY scissor man fights! But yeah if
that's some of the best Greed Island has to offer animation wise...well that's kinda sad.

Greed Island is more exciting in the manga. Which is kinda surprising because I thought
all the details and stuff would make it boring. But it's actually pretty interesting.

When the 2011 series gets to Binolt (scissors man) vs Gon and Killua it should be pretty incredible. The fight is pretty awesome in the manga.

Gon vs Gensuru will of course be amazing.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

Idk, I really like the way the rock stuff was done. It's very well set up in the manga and I think it translates fairly well. The big scene to me is when he swipes at killua's eye. The Insert song gets me going (I like the opening theme to GI) the cutting corners are obvious, but maybe I just watch a lot of shonen anime with limited animation. To me its what i would call "good" for long running series tv animation, not on par with say the best eps of Dragonball but only a small step down from the best eps of Yu Yu Hakusho or a few other notables.

I think we're just spoiled on 2011's fights such as Hisoka vs that nobody in Trick tower, thats like one of the best animated HxH fights to me now! When before I didn't care for that chapter/episode at all.

Now I just want to turn this into best animated moments of HxH general. For 1999 to me notable moments are

Uvo vs Kurapika, Hisoka vs Gon, Gon vs Guido 2, Chrollo vs Zoldycks, Spiders vs Mafia on Sept3rd, Spiders vs Mafia on sept1st (franklin and shizuku tearing it up) Bonus test's last episode is way too gorgeous to me episode 20, Gon vs Killua in ep 38 is cute and slick looking, plus Hisoka's orgasim bit in ep 24? to me still trumps the 2011 version (which is good too)

2011 moments

Hisoka vs trick tower guy, Gotoh coin flip, Netero vs Gon and Killua, whenever Illumi does his pin awesomeness, the dizzy effect in the new show is so cool you see it when Hanzo smacks Gon most notably.

What are some specific moments others remember? I could nerd out about animation all day.
 
Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

It's just beginning, though. We can't compare because still we haven't reached that moments. When the major fights beings, we can start talking about the best "battle".
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I was just mostly talking about good animated moments that have stood out to you so far in 2011 or scenes you remember from the original series from a visual aspect. Not necessarily comparisons between the two. I think even though it isnt far in, there's plenty of moments that can be discussed just for those who admire the animation and directing. I was wondering if there maybe were some bits I didn't pick up on how good they looked.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I can not wait to see these animated:

Gon vs. Genthru
Netero vs. Meryem
Hisoka vs. Gotoh
Kite vs. Pitou
Gon meets Ging
Leorio KO's Ging
Hisoka vs. Kastro
Gon vs. Hisoka
Chrollo vs. Zeno and Silva
Uvogin vs. Kurapika
Gon and Killua escaping Nobunaga
Genthru's explosive deception
All battles with Royal Guards
King and Komugi final moments
Razor Dodgeball Battle
PALACE INVASION!!!!

God damn HxH has so many amazing moments. The Palace Invasion in my opinion is one of the best scenes in any manga ever. I get chills just reading that scene, it's so complex and intelligently written and beautifully drawn. I love all the different things going on at once and the narration on that scene is spectacular. Arghh need to see it animated!!!
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

The palace invasion is one of my all time favorite! moments in Hunter x Hunter.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I believe we barely tipped the surface of HxH moments. I guarantee the next few coming arcs are gonna be off the hinges!!
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I believe we barely tipped the surface of HxH moments. I guarantee the next few coming arcs are gonna be off the hinges!!
Couldn't agree with you more. It's gonna be amazing!
Just remember another scene I love:
Gon and Killua pass Hisoka's test in Heaven's Arena.
http://www.mangainn.com/mangas/431/67268/017_12_07_2011_11_38_23.jpg
When they walk through that hallway Nen oozing from them, it's just so epic!
I hope they animate it well and play the song they played after Gon met Mike in Zoldyck, that song is badass!

Here is the scene in 99 series. I think it was really underwhelming compared to how epic that moment felt in the manga:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FhQmn3N3SLg#t=363s

Also Nen colours were so strange in 99 series lol
 
Last edited:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread

I can not wait to see these animated:

Gon vs. Genthru
Netero vs. Meryem
Hisoka vs. Gotoh
Kite vs. Pitou
Gon meets Ging
Leorio KO's Ging
Hisoka vs. Kastro
Gon vs. Hisoka
Chrollo vs. Zeno and Silva
Uvogin vs. Kurapika
Gon and Killua escaping Nobunaga
Genthru's explosive deception
All battles with Royal Guards
King and Komugi final moments
Razor Dodgeball Battle
PALACE INVASION!!!!

God damn HxH has so many amazing moments. The Palace Invasion in my opinion is one of the best scenes in any manga ever. I get chills just reading that scene, it's so complex and intelligently written and beautifully drawn. I love all the different things going on at once and the narration on that scene is spectacular. Arghh need to see it animated!!!
All awesome moments. But it's not like the other fights are boring...

Stuff I'm looking forward to:

Killua vs Zushi.
Gon vs Gido. Especially the Zetsu scene.
Gon and Killua vs Binolt
Killua vs Gensuru's buddy
Gon and Killua vs various Greed Island monsters
The nen boxing match between the emitters

and one I'm really looking forward to...

Gon vs Knuckle.

Such an underrated fight. And people think the beginning of the Chimera Ant Arc is boring? Nonsense!

Killua vs Shoot should be pretty cool too.

Palace Invasion was beautiful.

Especially...

Netero vs Pitou. I hope they do that in slow motion because it would look epic. Especially with Dragon Dive in the background.

DANG IT! HUNTER X HUNTER IS JUST TOO AWESOME!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top