Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
188
Reaction score
243
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
I was waiting for Leorio's scene so much and then they just omit it :gwah

Madhouse ..Y U no love Leorio?:stare
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Not a bad episode, just felt a little underwhelmed by it for some reason. I guess I felt that the manga was far more tense. The chase scenes here in my opinion felt a little too slow, whereas in the manga everything feels so fast and intense and that its only a matter of time until Uvo finds them. Its not that it was bad, just not as intense and suspenseful as I would have liked. I did however think it was the perfect spot to end on. I didn't care too much about the Leorio omission as I think Madhouse's characterisation of him is still on point despite the two omissions for his character. Both of which I think were omitted simply to fit better with the pacing of the episode to be honest.

Overall it was a decent episode, but I'm sure I'm not the only one when I say this isn't the episode I really care about, next episode IS.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,689
Reaction score
61,399
Gender
Male
Country
France
Overalll,it was a good episode but i don't like the fact they ommit Leorio's canon scene and add useless parts with Franklin.I liked Sharnalk's expressions in this episode,and it seems Linssen will definitely not talk.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Madhouse is putting too much focus on the Troupe and Kurapika. At least in the effect that they aren't putting enough focus on Gon, Killua and Leorio.

I don't like how the episode ended with the meeting between Kurapika and Uvogin.
Yeah it seems like a good cliffhanger. But I wish it ended where the chapter ends instead.


With Gon, Leorio and Killua about to get involved with capturing the troupe.


While there has been a lot of good in this arc so far.
The pacing has been rather bad. A major disappointment.

Honestly I don't care if Madhouse has to do one chapter per episode.
If that's what it takes to actually animate everything in the chapter.

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

Overalll,it was a good episode but i don't like the fact they ommit Leorio's canon scene and add useless parts with Franklin.I liked Sharnalk's expressions in this episode,and it seems Linssen will definitely not talk.
Madhouse must really hate the Chinese or something.
Because they don't give any speaking lines to Linssen and omitted Kurapika's chinese-like outfit in the Zoldyck arc.

Watch...Feitan will speak German.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think the pacing was fine in this episode actually (but this is easily my favorite HxH arc, and by being a mostly faithful adaptation of Yorknew its still better paced then most shonen arcs) , but the omission of scenes do bug me. I too was looking forward to more emphasis being placed on Gon and Killua instead of them feeling like more of a side story, but I consider that a nitpick (the impact of Killua deducing who the bounties were was still pretty good), so long as whats to come is better. I hope all the Zepile stuff stays in darn it, I've been worried they might try to cut out some of that stuff.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think the pacing was fine in this episode actually (but this is easily my favorite HxH arc, and by being a mostly faithful adaptation of Yorknew its still better paced then most shonen arcs) , but the omission of scenes do bug me. I too was looking forward to more emphasis being placed on Gon and Killua instead of them feeling like more of a side story, but I consider that a nitpick (the impact of Killua deducing who the bounties were was still pretty good), so long as whats to come is better. I hope all the Zepile stuff stays in darn it, I've been worried they might try to cut out some of that stuff.
The omitted scene is essentially an effect of the poor pacing.
They're trying too much to drag out Kurapika's storyline that
they run out of time for Gon, Killua and especially Leorio's storyline.

I don't think this is nitpicking at all. It's not like I'm saying the episode was terrible.
I did give it a 7.5 out of 10. But Madhouse has not done very well balancing Kurapika's
story with the story of Gon, Killua, and Leorio and it's been that way for the whole arc.

I've had problems with the 99 making Yorknew as "The Kurapika Show" but Madhouse is just as bad. In fact I have to say that I think the argument that Madhouse is more faithful to the manga is officially invalid now. Both 99 and 2011 have their problems.

To me, Madhouse's treatment of Leorio is about as bad as Nippon's treatment of Killua.

Which is sad because Leorio was GREAT in the Hunter Exam arc.

But Zoldyck arc and beyond...I'm sorry but Leorio might as well not be there.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Now this was a great episode. 9.5/10.
It's a shame they omitted Leorio arm-wrestling, but actually I found the change with Arm-wrestling auction making more sense than in manga. I mean, now it's understandable why the 'mole' brought them to the underground auction, because it's profitable for him having such a great wrestler-kid nobody will bet on. While in the manga it was kinda sudden.
The pacing overall was great in my opinion. Music direction didn't bother me much. The episode ended on the right moment imo.
And yeah, there's no way Zepile will be omitted as well. I mean, he is in the ending sequence!

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Now, for the next week. It seems like we will see the Emperor Time flashback, or at least the Vow and Restraint one as the title suggests so. =D
 
Last edited:

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
i'm surprised that nobody made a fus ro dah parody with uvo :D
 

brigid001

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
138
Reaction score
99
Gender
Female
Country
Ireland
I've only read the manga from the chimera arc on, and I can't really remember this part in the old anime, so I'm not as dissapointed as others may be to the lack of the Leorio scene. Still since he's one of my favourite characters I wish MH would give him more credit, but what can you do. Was a good enough episode, I'm mainly just looking forward to next week so this ep probably wasn't high on my priority list. I'm still really enjoying this arc though and I think MH are doing a wonderful job (minus the Leorio edits lol)
 

shareme

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
75
Reaction score
69
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
I am a Leorio fan but I think that MH does LOVE Leorio. They are only highlighting the "smart" side of him instead the more physical badass side to, I suspect, detract/fix the fandom's stereotyping his type of character - the idiot, "strong", comic relief character with a heart of gold.

As for the pacing, it's fine to me. There's a lot of "unsaid" things going around here, a lot of switching POVs, a lot of fleshing out of the HxH world. I like how this arc feels like a crime mystery thriller as it should be. It's not about the action. It's about the unveiling of events and how these different characters come together. The "fights" are just an icing on top.

These past few episodes, the emphasis is on Kurapika and the Troupe because they are the spark that set this arc into motion. I'm holding out until Gon, Killua and Leorio start their Spiders hunt to see if the focus remain one-sided on Kurapika/Spiders.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'll leave this here and see what happens :O



And I liked the episode. I don't care about Leorio omission, it's not that important and His truly moment to shine doesn't come until in later arcs. An arm wrestling isn't something that worries me about characterization, since I see how they're focusing in his reliable side instead.
 

riniloves

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
224
Reaction score
179
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
Poor Linzen he supposed to have a line right?
Kurapika looks so calm, in this episode...
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sigh.

It's MORE than just omitting an arm wrestling match.

Compare the manga to the 2011 anime


Manga

Leorio has a plan to "Lure in the big fish"
Big dude challenges Gon. Leorio accepts the challenge instead and even ups the ante.
Leorio easily defeats the guy. He doesn't act at all. He just slams the guys arm.
This impresses the challengers' promoter/boss dude who then gives the trio
a business card for an underground auction. The boss dude and challenger dude
leave and the trio goes to the place on their own. The auction is a conditional auction
of "Hide and Seek". They recognize Shizuku and decide to pay the registration fee.
They soon realize it's actually a bounty hunt for the phantom troupe.

Anime

Leorio has a plan to lure in the big fish.
Big dude is about to challenge Gon but the promoter already says it's useless to try.
Promoter dude invites them to what is basically high stakes arm wrestling.
Leorio is about to sign up Gon and Killua. Then it's suddenly changed to hide and seek.
Recognize Shizuku. Bounty hunt for phantom troupe.

The manga seems much more calculated to me. Leorio is very street saavy there.
But in the anime he seems to have a good idea but kinda gets dragged along.


Sigh.

Maybe they'll somehow make up for it.

But I don't want to have to wait until the friggin ELECTION arc for Leorio to get his day in the spotlight.

It's especially annoying because there were some people wondering when Leorio would get some more screen time and anticipating how this episode SHOULD have been I told
them to look forward to this episode. But now I gotta look like a jerk. Did I speak too soon?
Maybe. But I don't think I had absurd expectations.

On the bright side I did like the coloring for the jester dude.

BUT SERIOUSLY MADHOUSE! PLEASE GIVE LEORIO SOME LOVE!

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Ok.

I got it.

Perfect redemption for Madhouse's skipping Leorio's big moment in the Zolyck and Yorknew arcs...

LEORIO KNIFE FIGHT


I don't care who Leorio fights or why. If Madhouse does a Leorio knife fight...about as long as Canary's fight.

THINK HAPPY LEORIO KNIFE FIGHTING THOUGHTS SO WE CAN USE OUR MIND POWERS TO CONVINCE MADHOUSE.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah it's obvious an anime can't put everything from the manga into an 22 minute episode. Some things have to be sacrificed. While I understand because Leorio doesn't get much time compared to others it wasn't entirely important, and they're still nailing his street smarts. So yes they're focusing on Kurapika and the Troupe more because at this point they are the main focus.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
^Well, you know, anime version does make sense for me. Some promoter dude's heard some urban legends of a ridiculously powerful arw-wrestler-kid and though that it could be some easy money, though unfortunatelly, the auction was changed for a bounty hunting. While in the manga it seems kinda strange for me as of why the promoter gave them an invitation, cause it wasn't profitable for him. And btw the big dude wasn't about to challenge Gon in the anime.
Not that I didn't love the Leorio scene, but in my opinion this change makes more sense.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

And no, I doubt it was a pacing issue. It was easier to fit the manga version than to change it like this. The Gates episode could also be prolonged even while leaving the Leorio scene. For example, they manage to open the Gates together faster but they decide to stay for longer while they can open them theirselves. Then Leorio opens two of them at once. Now, I don't know why they changed the Gates scene, but the arm-wrestling change was a nice choise if you ask me.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The gate is a clear mistake. A HUGE one indeed. But this one fits, if I were new watching the anime I wouldn't be annoyed by it since seems to flow naturally.
 

brigid001

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
138
Reaction score
99
Gender
Female
Country
Ireland
Sigh.

It's MORE than just omitting an arm wrestling match.

Compare the manga to the 2011 anime


Manga

Leorio has a plan to "Lure in the big fish"
Big dude challenges Gon. Leorio accepts the challenge instead and even ups the ante.
Leorio easily defeats the guy. He doesn't act at all. He just slams the guys arm.
This impresses the challengers' promoter/boss dude who then gives the trio
a business card for an underground auction. The boss dude and challenger dude
leave and the trio goes to the place on their own. The auction is a conditional auction
of "Hide and Seek". They recognize Shizuku and decide to pay the registration fee.
They soon realize it's actually a bounty hunt for the phantom troupe.

Anime

Leorio has a plan to lure in the big fish.
Big dude is about to challenge Gon but the promoter already says it's useless to try.
Promoter dude invites them to what is basically high stakes arm wrestling.
Leorio is about to sign up Gon and Killua. Then it's suddenly changed to hide and seek.
Recognize Shizuku. Bounty hunt for phantom troupe.

The manga seems much more calculated to me. Leorio is very street saavy there.
But in the anime he seems to have a good idea but kinda gets dragged along.


Sigh.

Maybe they'll somehow make up for it.

But I don't want to have to wait until the friggin ELECTION arc for Leorio to get his day in the spotlight.

It's especially annoying because there were some people wondering when Leorio would get some more screen time and anticipating how this episode SHOULD have been I told
them to look forward to this episode. But now I gotta look like a jerk. Did I speak too soon?
Maybe. But I don't think I had absurd expectations.

On the bright side I did like the coloring for the jester dude.

BUT SERIOUSLY MADHOUSE! PLEASE GIVE LEORIO SOME LOVE!

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Ok.

I got it.

Perfect redemption for Madhouse's skipping Leorio's big moment in the Zolyck and Yorknew arcs...

LEORIO KNIFE FIGHT


I don't care who Leorio fights or why. If Madhouse does a Leorio knife fight...about as long as Canary's fight.

THINK HAPPY LEORIO KNIFE FIGHTING THOUGHTS SO WE CAN USE OUR MIND POWERS TO CONVINCE MADHOUSE.

Hahaha no you don't sound like a jerk at all, just constructive criticism ;). I can see where you're coming from since I'm a big Leorio fan myself, and the fact that he gets so little screen time. It's a pity but I'm not gonna let it ruin my enjoyment cause I'm so stoked for Kurapika vs. Uvogin!!! A knife fight would be cool to see though =D
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well I for one DO think the omitted scene was important.

Also the whole "they only have 22 minutes" is a lame excuse.
99 had the same amount of time but they fit more in. Why?
Because they did a better job of pacing then.

Madhouse has the whole friggin manga as an guide.

Poor pacing is inexcusable.

It's annoying though because I'm sure next episode the fight will be great
and then Madhouse might just think "well as long as we do good at these
major scenes then we can just screw up everything else."

Ok, I'm exaggerating. But still.



...

Leorio knife fight must happen.
 

shareme

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
75
Reaction score
69
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
Damn, you guys type fast.

I think that MH fixed the Zoldyck gate logic/power issue. Think about it, it's only been close to a month since the 3 began their weight training and they're so "gifted" that they were able to open the 1st gate (Kurapika-Gon) and the 2nd gate (Leorio), which weighs 4 tons and 8 tons respectively, on their own and then we got a comment from the gate guy that Killua managed to open the 3rd gate (16 tons) when he returned - implying that this is the 1st time Killua was able to open the 3rd gate. So in just a short time of training, Leorio is on par with hunter exam!Killua physically? IMO, that's hard to believe.

Also to the general fandom, Leorio is kind of an idiot sidekick by shounen standards. To those who've seen YYH, they automatically see Leorio = Kuwabara which is what I'm pinpointing when talking about the golden-hearted ones. 1999 version included the gate scenes and the arm wrestling scenes but their treatment of Leorio as the "comic relief, idiot sidekick" gave a bad taste. So yes, I'm fine that MH withholding his physical prowess scenes in favor of highlighting his smart side to break that kind of stereotyping.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top