Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Well, considering that Hunters work with mafia if needed, it is nothing strange that they could be fighting with security guards.
I know.Like I say ,I don't really know why I find that to be odd.

Strangely enough in the manga she is rather more monstrous - if not downright cruel - in appearance. Probably the intent was to mislead. In the 1999 version Senritsu looks ugly, but also kind of soft, and the narrative is written so that she is alot closer to Kurapika. Ultimately, she serves as a counterbalance (as well as juxtaposition) to Kurapika's darkness (to the extent possible, that is).
Well, that is when she first appeared afterwards she looks a lot kinder and look a bit better. I do agree that the 1999 version made her a lot softer ,I actually like that about her. I do hope that Madhouse can do a good job with her character.

@Akia: Basho is not a Hunter. Remember: There is other people aside Hunters who handle Nen.
TheAmericandream has answered my question regarding that.

Ok guys what do you think will be the butler's fate?

A. Human Body Shield

B. Plot hole Escape

C. Ambiguous Censorship Fainting
C is most likely.
I think they will just show a silhouette of him getting shot.

On a side note, I am starting to hate the opening theme.I know it's a nice song just like ohaiyou but it's getting annoying...
As much flaw the nippon adaptation had ,the theme song were pretty good.Still my favourite of all time.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
I just wanted to note that the old series actually wasn't "dark" intentionally; it was from the rather terrible mastering done at the time. The DVDs are VHS masters, since the series was produced at a time when VHS were still the main market and DVDs were just coming into practice. If there series were to be remastered today, you would be shocked -- it would really feel like a different series.

For example, here is a scene from Yorknew with Machi and Nobunaga. The normal image is from DVD, the rollover is a scan of a cel. You can see more differences by just googling for cels of the series. It makes me sick sometimes the difference between a cel and what we got on DVD. Doubt we'll ever see a remastering though -- the old series is totally abandoned now with the new one out (the old websites went down about a month before the new series aired, putting the final nail in the coffin).
Wow! Didn't know it was due to the masters not remastered to DVD! We learn something new everyday!

On a side note, I am starting to hate the opening theme.I know it's a nice song just like ohaiyou but it's getting annoying...
As much flaw the nippon adaptation had ,the theme song were pretty good.Still my favourite of all time.

You know you could always skip it, unless you watch it live on TV or Keyhole or whatever method to watch it live.

As for the second opening, I didn't like it. I felt the performer was doing it like he was half awake or totally not into it or just there for the paycheck.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Imma go with A, but I could see some ambiguous death scene. Not a full on shooting. Maybe a silhouette, or the guys shooting at them and suddenly the butler falls down with a bunch of holes in him. But, I'll have faith in Madhouse for making this arc more violent. Sure, Madhouse could show cards getting thrown at Kastro kiling him, but shooting someone with a gun would be different if they're concerned about censoring it for the kiddies. So... I think we'll get the death, but it won't be the full on shot we see in the manga.
 

majinjeb

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
70
Gender
Male
Country
United States
On a side note, I am starting to hate the opening theme.I know it's a nice song just like ohaiyou but it's getting annoying...
As much flaw the nippon adaptation had ,the theme song were pretty good.Still my favourite of all time.

I hate neither Ohaiyou nor the new opening, but I agree that it should have been changed, at least for Yorknew (I don't know if it has or hasn't, I'm still in Heaven's Arena). But I do like that old opening, in my opinion it really sets the mood for Yorknew.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Yeah, the opening themes are almost the only things I love about the old adaptation more than I do about the new one.
The second opening is great. I just don't know what's so great about it but still.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, the opening themes are almost the only things I love about the old adaptation more than I do about the new one.
The second opening is great. I just don't know what's so great about it but still.
while I welcome a new opening.

I gotta say...

Hunting for your dream never gets old :hip

Seriously how will they top that awesomeness?

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Imma go with A, but I could see some ambiguous death scene. Not a full on shooting. Maybe a silhouette, or the guys shooting at them and suddenly the butler falls down with a bunch of holes in him. But, I'll have faith in Madhouse for making this arc more violent. Sure, Madhouse could show cards getting thrown at Kastro kiling him, but shooting someone with a gun would be different if they're concerned about censoring it for the kiddies. So... I think we'll get the death, but it won't be the full on shot we see in the manga.
I think the easiest way to do is to show the view from behind Baise and just show the butler's body shaking a bunch, then show pained expression, then death.

Granted not as cool as the manga. But it's better than the Butler leaving the room alive and on his way to his evil nefarious plans.

However they do it will give us an idea of how the next major violent scene will go down---Franklin's ambidextrous machine gun scene.
 

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
The opening will probably change in episode 50 or 51...
Hopefully the requiem and the last part of York Shin will have a new opening.
 

majinjeb

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
70
Gender
Male
Country
United States

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States

majinjeb

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
70
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Excellent choice.

Though I think we should save that for the Chimera Ant Arc.

Meryem would totally fit to that song. :)
Yeah, I first heard Galneryus from Rin. Then I listend to their albums, and they popped up again for Rainbow and HxH.

On a side note, I started a reread of the manga a few days ago and I'm at the point where Gon is fighting Hisoka in Heaven's Arena (and I'm at the part in the 2011 anime where Kastro and Hisoka just fought). I can't believe how fast the pace of the series is (though I enjoy that because I can marathon it without having any dry spells...minus the recaps).

I know that it was said that the series was ~49+ episodes, but that won't cover all of Yorknew, would it?
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I don't usually read the manga chapters again because the anime is still airing, but I decided to read Flesh Collector's Mansion. And maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to see slight differences with Madhouse's Kurapika and manga!Kurapika. Madhouse is a bit more explicit in showing Kurapika's inner rage. Other people have said this already, but you can really tell that he's a ticking time bomb waiting to blow up.

On the other hand, manga!Kurapika seems a lot calmer on the outside. And colder too. But that could be because he doesn't shift to red-eyes mode in the manga, and he looks more like an indifferent strategist than a ticking time bomb on the outside. At least, that's how I see it. Madhouse's Kurapika is intelligent and perceptive too, but his rage is much more visible. With manga!Kurapika, I get this 'calm, but deadly' vibe from him.

Of course, Yorkshin is just getting started so there's still a lot more room for Madhouse to develop Kurapika. But from what little we have seen, this is what I have noticed. It doesn't help that I find Miyuki Sawashiro's voice acting to really fit with what Madhouse is trying to do with Kurapika. What do you guys think?

As an aside, I really hope they don't censor the butler's death. There are a lot more brutal scenes in the later episodes. But if they censor it, I hope they do it in a clever way. I'm sure Madhouse can do it.
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I think Madhouse is showing more of a Kurapika who is already trying to control his rage, but I'm not really bothered by this slight difference in characterization. As long as we don't get an emo Kurapika.

Manga spoilers:

Kurapika was able to keep his cool until he captured Chrollo. Then you see him struggling with his rage, then exploding. It was a more gradual build up, with the other mafia bosses and whatnot. Different from this adaptation where he's already seething with rage and trying to keep his cool.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I'm more partial to cold Kurapika actually, but I'm loving how Madhouse has been handling him too. It's nice to see different characterizations of him as long as he doesn't go emo on us. A calculating Kurapika or a seething Kurapika time bomb is fine. They're both canon to me.

Manga spoilers:

Kurapika was able to keep his cool until he captured Chrollo. Then you see him struggling with his rage, then exploding. It was a more gradual build up, with the other mafia bosses and whatnot. Different from this adaptation where he's already seething with rage and trying to keep his cool.
The buildup will be less subtle now that we can see him already seething on the inside. But as long as he doesn't blow up before capturing Chrollo, I'm okay with it. I guess cold Kurapika just got stuck in my head, especially after seeing him in that suit in front of his Kurta eyeball shrine during the Election arc, with that serious pokerface of his. :teehee
 

Guru981

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
82
Reaction score
21
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, I don't see Kurapika as a ticking time bomb here. He's far from chilled out, but he's not impulsive like Leorio. I don't mind how they've portrayed him, despite it being different from the manga. Kind of reminds me of Light from Death Note for some reason.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No you can tell he's still a time bomb. You can see it when he clenches his data card while still holding a emotionless look on his face. Also the fact Melody is cautious of his heartbeat yet he looks normal on the outside.
 

You Say

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
240
Reaction score
618
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
That's simply hilarious yet very nice at the same time. Good job, sir.

I guess I will join the talk about openings. I like themes of old version and I like even this new one. My most favourite one would be "Pale Ale" of first OVA series (which is also my favourite part of old version). It's perfect combination of positive first opening and kind of grim second opening. So one pale ale for me.

To be completely honest, I really don't like this modern trend of frequently opening changes. I like openings with soul. Openings that can last hundred episodes and I won't get tired of them like in Tetsuwan Atom, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and this oldschool stuff. I would be fine if this opening theme will last until end of Greed Island arc. Hey, I know, it's not the best song around (beside that I'm into hard rock anyway) but it has soul. Changing openings every 13 or 26 episodes? No, thanks, but no. At least keep that 50 episodes period.

One question… When you talk here about "old version of Hunter x Hunter anime", do you mean all anime before remake (TV series + three OVA) or simply just first TV series? Thanks, I just want to be sure.
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
To be completely honest, I really don't like this modern trend of frequently opening changes. I like openings with soul. Openings that can last hundred episodes and I won't get tired of them like in Tetsuwan Atom, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and this oldschool stuff. I would be fine if this opening theme will last until end of Greed Island arc. Hey, I know, it's not the best song around (beside that I'm into hard rock anyway) but it has soul. Changing openings every 13 or 26 episodes? No, thanks, but no. At least keep that 50 episodes period.
I second that. I miss the days when anime theme songs were actual theme songs that relates to the anime and you can tell it's part of it. Nowadays they are mostly random songs that had nothing to do with the show and they're just to sell more albums. That doesn't mean it's a lost art, Toriko and the first season of Squid Girl are good examples of themes made for the show.

One question… When you talk here about "old version of Hunter x Hunter anime", do you mean all anime before remake (TV series + three OVA) or simply just first TV series? Thanks, I just want to be sure
I include the OVAs since they are a direct continuation of the old TV series.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't usually read the manga chapters again because the anime is still airing, but I decided to read Flesh Collector's Mansion. And maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to see slight differences with Madhouse's Kurapika and manga!Kurapika. Madhouse is a bit more explicit in showing Kurapika's inner rage. Other people have said this already, but you can really tell that he's a ticking time bomb waiting to blow up.

On the other hand, manga!Kurapika seems a lot calmer on the outside. And colder too. But that could be because he doesn't shift to red-eyes mode in the manga, and he looks more like an indifferent strategist than a ticking time bomb on the outside. At least, that's how I see it. Madhouse's Kurapika is intelligent and perceptive too, but his rage is much more visible. With manga!Kurapika, I get this 'calm, but deadly' vibe from him.

Of course, Yorkshin is just getting started so there's still a lot more room for Madhouse to develop Kurapika. But from what little we have seen, this is what I have noticed. It doesn't help that I find Miyuki Sawashiro's voice acting to really fit with what Madhouse is trying to do with Kurapika. What do you guys think?

As an aside, I really hope they don't censor the butler's death. There are a lot more brutal scenes in the later episodes. But if they censor it, I hope they do it in a clever way. I'm sure Madhouse can do it.

Oh I think Kurapika is a ticking time bomb in the manga too. However I agree Madhouse has shown it in a different manner. In the manga when Kurapika gets pissed off he has a shadow appear over his face. I think Togashi is more subtle in showing Kurapika's inner rage but it's definitely there. Kurapika is actually a sorta scary dude in the manga seeing how ruthless he is.
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Kurapika is one of the scariest characters in HxH, at least in manga form.
 
Last edited:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Kurapika is one of the scariest characters in HxH, at least in manga form.
Yeah. I think Kurapika was a major influence in shaping Gon's personality.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top