Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

riniloves

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
224
Reaction score
179
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
ratings wise 5% is not flop... if thats flop, then what do we call Code Geass???
Code Geass was a phenomenal anime what animage and other magazines call
but the average ratings is 4%~and it got a 2%....
final episode rating is 3.5%
source: here
 
Last edited:

Chain Bastard

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2012
Messages
90
Reaction score
247
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
France
Difficult to compare, but Hunter x Hunter 2o11 is better than Death Note, FMA Brotherhood, Bleach or D.Gray-man, for example. :)
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Question.

What would qualify HxH to be a series that "flopped"?

Obviously bad ratings but what would be considered as that?

I mean I'm pretty sure the 5% number is good. But how good?
I mean is HxH doing comfortably well...or is it toeing the line?
Ratings means very little in terms of whether or not an anime is considered a flop. In the end of the day it comes down to overall profit it makes.
This means how much money the series is making for them. Obviously higher ratings equals more money from ad revenue. But also DVD and merch sales count a lot.
For more information search the manabi line up. Ratings is equal to about 20% of the success of an anime series.
 

MegamanX195

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
354
Reaction score
185
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ratings means very little in terms of whether or not an anime is considered a flop. In the end of the day it comes down to overall profit it makes.
This means how much money the series is making for them. Obviously higher ratings equals more money from ad revenue. But also DVD and merch sales count a lot.
For more information search the manabi line up. Ratings is equal to about 20% of the success of an anime series.
Exactly. That's also why Dragon Ball Kai was cancelled in the Cell Arc. The ratings were fantastic, but its merchandise wasn't doing as great.

On the episode: I don't get what's all the talk about Chain Bastard. It was totally perfect. I mean, Ubo basically owned them all, everybody was absolutely stunned because of his cruelty/honesty, and Kurapika just talks like nothing's happened, and Chain Bastard played RIGHT at that moment. If that's not being a Bastard, then I don't know what is. Of course, the rest of the music transitioned pretty well into the punch/next scene as well. But the moment it started... damn.

Bloody corpses on the ground and torture victims! Yay! *ahem* I mean... the violence level in this episode kept up with the last ones. Looks like Madhouse is really keeping it.

All of the Ryodan filler was great. It was definitely needed to make things clearer for anime-only viewers.

Ubo's scream (and the rest of that scene) was top-notch, too.

Perfect episode. 10/10.
 
Last edited:

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ratings means very little in terms of whether or not an anime is considered a flop. In the end of the day it comes down to overall profit it makes.
This means how much money the series is making for them. Obviously higher ratings equals more money from ad revenue. But also DVD and merch sales count a lot.
For more information search the manabi line up. Ratings is equal to about 20% of the success of an anime series.
Hm good point.

So bottom line is it making profit?

And I assume HxH is making madhouse profit.
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Went from 2% to gradually almost getting 5%. Thats amazing. Of course it fluctuated but thats still pretty good. Also didn't the ratings raise in the 1999 anime go up because of the yorkshin arc as well? Yorkshin is too legit for TV i guess. =[]
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
and now...

Moral Lesson of the Episode.


I"ll first go through 1-44 first


Episode 1: Remember there is very little difference between a promise...and an ultimatum.

Episode 2: Clarity is key. Unless the old lady says "that is the safe path" assume it's not.

Episode 3: If you're stupid enough to accept a drink from a total stranger who is competing against you
...be sure to bring your friend with the insanely strong taste buds.

Episode 4: Remember. It's not cheating unless rules specifically address every possible situation that could occur.

Episode 5: When ganging up on someone of considerable martial skill be sure to not stand in perfect formation allowing them to cut you all down in one swift motion.

Episode 6: Don't talk smack to someone unless you're 100% sure they can't kick your ass.

Episode 7: If at first you don't succeed...compromise your goals so you do.

Episode 8: Just because you're an expert rock climber...doesn't mean the forces of nature won't be actively trying to eat you

Episode 9: Sometimes the obvious is the best solution

Episode 10: There's no point in playing possum if it's going to get you killed

Episode 11: Don't f--- with the Zoldyck Family

Episode 12: A sharp eye can make a world of difference

Episode 14: It's a lot different on the field.

Episode 15: Don't expect sympathy from psychopaths

Episode 16: Pride can be deadly

Episode 17: So can Zoldycks. Don't f--- with them!

Episode 18: Don't get caught in your own trap

Episode 19: No matter what you think..you're NOT faster than a ninja

Episode 20: Even Zoldycks can't f---with Zoldycks!


I will write the rest later.
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Episode 1: Remember there is very little difference between a promise...and an ultimatum.

Episode 2: Clarity is key. Unless the old lady says "that is the safe path" assume it's not.

Episode 3: If you're stupid enough to accept a drink from a total stranger who is competing against you
...be sure to bring your friend with the insanely strong taste buds.

Episode 4: Remember. It's not cheating unless rules specifically address every possible situation that could occur.

Episode 5: When ganging up on someone of considerable martial skill be sure to not stand in perfect formation allowing them to cut you all down in one swift motion.

Episode 6: Don't talk smack to someone unless you're 100% sure they can't kick your ass.

Episode 7: If at first you don't succeed...compromise your goals so you do.

Episode 8: Just because you're an expert rock climber...doesn't mean the forces of nature won't be actively trying to eat you

Episode 9: Sometimes the obvious is the best solution

Episode 10: There's no point in playing possum if it's going to get you killed

Episode 11: Don't f--- with the Zoldyck Family

Episode 12: A sharp eye can make a world of difference

Episode 14: It's a lot different on the field.

Episode 15: Don't expect sympathy from psychopaths

Episode 16: Pride can be deadly

Episode 17: So can Zoldycks. Don't f--- with them!

Episode 18: Don't get caught in your own trap

Episode 19: No matter what you think..you're NOT faster than a ninja

Episode 20: Even Zoldycks can't f---with Zoldycks!
If this is true now, I can't wait for the upcoming episodes. :teehee
 

Pokymonn

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2012
Messages
60
Reaction score
55
Gender
Male
Country
Antarctica
Hm good point.

So bottom line is it making profit?
Probably it does make them profit if they show us quality animation. However their revenue from BD/DVD sales is miserable as they don't even succeed to sell 1,000 copies per volume. Thus, if these sales were to be an indication of the project's longevity then I wouldn't be surprised of not getting the animated 'Chimera Ant arc'.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Probably it does make them profit if they show us quality animation. However their revenue from BD/DVD sales is miserable as they don't even succeed to sell 1,000 copies per volume. Thus, if these sales were to be an indication of the project's longevity then I wouldn't be surprised of not getting the animated 'Chimera Ant arc'.
As is mentioned in any manabi line detailing, below 1000 for a shonen series is commonplace and is not a bad thing. As these series are long running it is less likely that people will buy the DVDs. However as a whole Hunter x Hunter is making a large amount of profit. They would not be making a movie if it wasn't.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Episode 21: Ok...maybe you CAN f--- with the Zoldycks but only if you're under the "protection" of a homicidal pedo-clown with magical powers.

Episode 22: The giant gate is there for a reason.

Episode 23: Nothing says "I'll be there for you" like watching your friend get his ass kicked.

Episode 24: Should of watched episode 23----oh wait flashback. Never mind.

Episode 25: When they say "oh it's just a friendly game" they mean to them---to YOU it's a life or death situation.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Okay, I finally - finally - got to watch the episode.

And woah. Just woah. This is like the calm before the storm, guys.

Well, everyone pretty much said what I thought about the episode. So something new to add: Troupe members in suits. Troupe members in effin' suits.

That pretty much made the episode for me.

On a side note, I really like how they portrayed Dalzollene. When alone, we clearly see that he's out of his depth with the whole situation but projects calm as the head bodyguard and as a mafia through and through whenever the rest of Nostrade guards are there with him.
This, pretty much. Maybe it's just me, but I do think he genuinely cares for Neon and her bodyguards. At least he cares enough not to put them in harm's way (hence why he looked after Uvo alone despite knowing that it was dangerous). I didn't care for him much in the manga, but the anime made me fall in love with him. R.I.P. Dalzollene. You were once a great man.

Compared to the manga the drawing is rather different. In the manga he looks SOULESS. When he's angry his face loses its ordinary proportions but there is no grimace or tightening of the jaw - no outward expression of anger. I find it interesting that both the '99 anime and '11 adaptation appear to have problems adapting Togashi's depiction of the characters. I think a large part of it is because Togashi really, really plays it straight and much of the time his characters exhibit a distinct lack of reaction that runs the risk of confusing the audience.
I kind of agree with this a little. I don't think Kurapika was badly portrayed though. I just think the manga gave a different feel, so to speak. I think we're seeing the same Kurapika, but the manga just makes him seem more composed. One thing to note: do we see Kurapika alone in the manga often during this arc? I'll admit, the arc is a bit fuzzy to me at the moment. But I don't recall seeing as much Kurapika-only scenes in the manga as we do in the anime. So for me, it kinda works that Kurapika is a ticking time bomb when he's alone, but composed when with other people.

I just have no idea why they added it.
Probably padding so that they can time when the episodes end/start. At the same time, it gives the audience a chance to see: 1) that the Troupe is a hell lot more skilled than the mafia's best; and 2) the dynamics between Troupe members.

I think they should be a little more forthcoming only once we get to know them a bit more but that's just my opinion.
Well for me, I thought the manga was a bit late on showing Troupe interactions. But that's just me.

Yorkshin is too legit for TV i guess. =[]
I think this sums up Yorkshin nicely.
 

Chrollo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2011
Messages
60
Reaction score
43
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
So how well is the Merchandise doing for HxH? If ratings are only 20%, what about merch and DVD sales?
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just from rewatching the episode Kurpika did keep his composure until Uvo said his crap...he loses his composure after he hits Uvo...I don't see anything wrong with that. It fits perfectly for whats to come.

Also the scene where Kurpika is cooling down was done beautifully. The little subtle connection between Melody and Kurapika was touching.. =[]
 

Noonealive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
282
Reaction score
180
Gender
Male
Country
United States
When it comes to HxH ratings matter. The shit is popular already so as long as the ratings are high the show is gonna continue. hehe
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anyone else wondering how they are going to pace these next few episodes?

Given the Uvogin vs Kurapika fight is coming up soon. Gon vs Hisoka was two episodes but most of the first episode was set up.
I'm actually hoping that do three chapters per episode here so then we get all the set up out of the way because chapter 81 is mainly
where Kurapika and Uvogin are about to fight but the action really starts in 82. Besides how cool would it be to see Uvogin charging
up and Kurapika cool as a cucumber just as fighting for your dream starts to play?
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I'm hoping next episode is going to focus on the troupe tracking down "the chain guy". Gon, Killua, and Leorio will make a triumphant return and learn about the reward for hunting the GR, and I think it'll end with Uvo and Kurapika about to fight. I know this is like... 3 chapters, but I'd like to see episode 47 to be the Uvo/Kurapika fight.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I'm hoping next episode is going to focus on the troupe tracking down "the chain guy". Gon, Killua, and Leorio will make a triumphant return and learn about the reward for hunting the GR, and I think it'll end with Uvo and Kurapika about to fight. I know this is like... 3 chapters, but I'd like to see episode 47 to be the Uvo/Kurapika fight.
I think this is on the money. I've been seeing anime only viewers complaining about the lack of Gon and Killua (their faves) in recently episodes.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I think this is on the money. I've been seeing anime only viewers complaining about the lack of Gon and Killua (their faves) in recently episodes.
I'm actually surprised. I wonder if they'll starting faving Kurapika soon as the arc progresses. I mean, that seems like the trend with Yorkshin, right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top