Discussion - Irregulars | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

ErosVp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Irregulars are without a doubt the most exciting characters in the tower. So let's speculate, make predictions and discuss about them!

An Irregular is a being that has forcefully entered the Tower without being chosen. All the known Irregulars that have entered the Tower are famous for being extremely powerful, and have wreaked havoc and terror within the Tower. Their mysterious ability to control and manipulate Shinsoo exceptionally well is also deemed abnormal by the residents of the tower, as Irregulars are capable of having more freedom in controlling Shinsoo even with the restrictions imposed by the laws of the Tower.

Known Irregulars:

Phantaminum is a mysterious Irregular, currently in the 1st ranking.

Phantaminum appeared suddenly in the Tower and broke into the Zahard's inner palace, killing many royals and courtiers. He succeeded in breaking all of the lines of defense and ultimately faced Zahard but he disappeared without a fight. That's how he got the sobriquet, "Riddle." Another reason is his style of combat. It is said that he had a freewheeling and desultory combat style and had used a weapon that was not seen anywhere inside the Tower. Most of the eye-witnesses either died or lost their minds with fear, so the stories were not accurately reported.

The negative views toward the Irregulars have grown because of him and these views had a big impact on Urek Mazino when he climbed the Tower. When Phantaminum broke into the palace, it is said he met Yuri Zahard in the inner palace. There is a great diversity of opinion as to why he didn't kill her. Yuri Zahard didn't say anything about the matter except that 'He was a messy one.'

There were a lot of objections in the Rank Admistering Office about giving Phantaminum the 1st ranking, who had disappeared after the attack of the palace of Zahard and had become inactive. But everyone agreed his impressive strength alone was overwhelming. As a result, Phantaminum became the No. 1 Ranker by only one combat, dragging the 'Red Tower' Enryu down to 2nd rank.

He was seen very little in the Tower after the attack of the palace, and most of the stories are rumors, therefore it's hard to confirm any of the stories. There's a rumor that he is in a cat-and-dog terms with Urek Mazino, but it is not confirmed. All in all, Phantaminum is a monster whose information starts with a riddle and ends with one. Every Ranker is on watch for the movement of this monster.

Enryu is an Irregular, currently in the 2nd ranking.

Enryu's sobriquet, Red Tower, was added because the Shinsoo within the Tower turned red during his presence, but the reason for this is not known.

Enryu is one of the most sinister and mysterious sounding characters, as much as Phantaminum. His strangest record is that 'he murdered the Guardian'. By killing a Guardian of the Tower, who were thought to be immortals, he let the people know that the Guardians were not absolute beings. That's how Enryu became the No. 1 Ranker with the nickname of 'Guardian Murderer'. He maintained his ranking for a long time but eventually lost it to Phantaminum.

Enryu is known to fight by creating thousands of spears made with Shinsoo and striking them downwards. Some people use a poetic expression, 'Red Rain', to describe this scene. However, it wouldn't look as beautiful from the victim's point of view. Enryu's overwhelming control of Shinsoo is rated a cut above the Guardians, and it is a 'heretical' ability, breaking the laws of the Tower.

Until now, the person who handled the biggest numerical value of Shinsoo is Enryu. And although the accurate number is not recorded, it's clear that it surpasses other recorded figures greatly. (According to a Light Bearer who could record Enryu's combat, Enryu is known to have handled more than 9000 Baangs during the combat.)

It is rumored that he can create life using Shinsoo.

The funny thing is that Enryu and Phantaminum have never fought. They have never even met, and there are a lot of opinions on who would win if they actually fought each other.

It is not known where Enryu is or what he's doing currently, and it is rumored that Headon is seeking him with avidity.

Urek Mazino is an Irregular, currently in the 4th rank. Currently the strongest Ranker on the move, he is the most recent to be in the top 5 High-rankers inside the Tower.

Ray is his sobriquet due to his combat style, which forwards the Shinsoo as fast as light. Barakuda is the name of the most aggressive and ferocious White Steel Eel in the Tower.
Tower of God chapter 57 possibly a silhouette of Mazino with the symbol of Walhaiksong on his sholder
LightHouseAdded by LightHouse

Although his formal sobriquet is Ray Barakuda, just Barakuda can be referred to Urek Mazino in the Tower.

It took Urek 50 years to pass every test and climb all the way up to the top of the Tower. He is recorded as the fastest person to climb the Inner Tower in a normal way.

As the strongest of the current active Rankers, and as one of the founders of the Walhaiksong or the "Wing Tree, Urek Mazino is one of the most influential person inside the Tower. Moreover, it is not too much to say that his every single move is related to the future of the Tower.

Although his main Position is Fisherman, he is proficient in most every other Position and very aggressive in all of them. He is adept in controlling Shinsoo with high movement speed, and this power is unblockable even with the superior armor inventory. People who have seen Urek Mazino in combat had evaluated his combat style as 'Agrressive, ferocious and fast, but tremendously beautiful.'

His relationship is somewhat dull, partly because of his masculine manner. He has a magnanimous personality, but is very unpopular among women. It is rumored that he has a crush on one of Zahard's Princesses, Garam Zahard, but Garam herself hates Urek Mazino. Of course, this is not actually confirmed.

He is also acquainted with another princess, Yuri, and this is because he was one of the persons to plant 'Walhaiksong'. Yuri evaluated as "He's the best to fight together, but the worst to live with."

On the other hand, he has great support from men. 'White Sword' Arie Hon praised him as the true warrior after he fought him. It was when Urek Mazino took Arie Hon's test. Arie Hon's task was to endure all Arie's attacks for 10 minutes, but Urek Mazino fought on even ground with Arie. Urek Mazino has become the most famous Ranker in the Tower thanks to this opportunity. The reward from Arie Hon was the transfer of control of one of the floors to Urek Mazino's possession. After Urek became the Ranker, the 77th floor became his, and he transfered the control of 77th floor again to Backryun, who set up the stronghold of the Walhaiksong there.

Urek's best friend Backryun said that Urek is the number one comrade and man. 'Blue Advancer' Koon Eduan picked Urek as 'One of the person I wish to battle.' Of the three, Backryun, who is one of the first member to plant 'Walhaiksong' has a special relationship with Urek, and the two's influence inside the Tower is already equivalent to the heads of the 10 Great Families.

The relationship between Phantaminum and Urek is a very talkative issue, but it seems that Urek tracked Phantaminum and followed him inside the Tower.

Twenty Fifth Baam (abbreviated as 'Baam') is an Irregular and is the central protagonist of Tower of God. Baam enters the Tower in search of his best friend Rachel.

Baam's early life is mostly unknown and nothing is known about where he lived before coming into the Inner Tower, other than that it was some kind of cave. He was dressed in an unkempt manner, had long unruly hair, and a white scarf around his neck. There was only one source of light in the cave, towards which Baam built a huge tower of stones. After climbing his tower, Baam found the light was unreachable, shining through a crack in the high cave ceiling. This caused him great upset, but as this happened the rock above broke off, and a girl with it, Rachel.

Rachel became Baam's only friend, and taught him how to read, write and talk. She also told him about the sky and stars, and of human warmth. She educated him on many things about the human world, though his grasp on human society is still fairly poor.

The two played a crude board game in the cave with chalk lines and stone pieces, always drawn out somehow by Baam's tactics. Rachel would frequently journey above through the opening from which light cascaded, denying Baam to come with her, telling him, "Up there, only those who have been chosen can play." She told him stories of the world above; of the yearly festivals, the fruit-bearing trees given by God, the children playing - a world filled with light and merriment. Baam would wait for her to return with nothing else to do but dream of going up there and playing with her.

Rachel is Baam's best friend and an Irregular. She made the decision to climb the Tower in order to see the stars in the sky at the top. She is a Light Bearer.

Rachel's life before she entered the Tower is as mysterious as Baam's. Her age, birthplace, and how she met Baam completely unknown. During the time she spent with Baam, she taught him everything he knows.

She also taught Baam a board game, which he proved ot be fairly good at, and told him that the place "above" where she came from had lots of people who played it.

Rachel has a major obsession surrounding the stars in the night sky and told Baam all about them.

Akryung is a mysterious, gigantic being, climbing the Tower. It is unknown whether Akryung is a regular or irregular. He entered the Second Floor with 399 other test takers (400 in total), and teamed up with Androssi and Rachel to defeat them all. He is completely silent, never speaking except for making a few cryptic chuckling noises. In the Crown Game he did nothing to either help or hurt Baam's team. For the Position Test he was assigned to the Spear Bearer position, and passed early by hitting an extremely distant target on his first try. According to Androssi, who claims to have known him before, he is very strong. Nothing else is currently know about his history or his motivations.

Note: Although King Jahad and his men came into the Tower from the outside world in ancient times, this was before the testing system was invented. They are not considered as Irregulars because of this.

Source: Tower of God Wiki

Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think that Irregulars are not those that enter in their own, but those who are not elected by the Guardians or Headon. They're directly selected by the Tower, as He said. Don't know if I'm clear with that, but maybe the Tower itself is the one who picks them.

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I wonder what are the reasons of others irregulars for climbing the tower, and what will be the relationship they will have with Baam...

I'll predict:
Urek Mazino- ally
Enryu - mentor
Phantaminiun - enemy

Anyway, I think Akryung is not an irregular since Headon is using her and Irregular and guardians don't have a healthy relationship...

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm wondering if the ranking is really accurate. It seems that the ranking is there "for information only". I wouldn't be surprised if some crazy-sick strong dudes are low in the ranking only because they hide their true strength.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm wondering if the ranking is really accurate. It seems that the ranking is there "for information only". I wouldn't be surprised if some crazy-sick strong dudes are low in the ranking only because they hide their true strength.
Good point Zell, you can only measure ones strength if you saw him/her fighting. I guess there are a lot more crazy strong girls/guys in the tower.

I also would like to know how the Rulers and the Guardians of each floor compare to the Irregulars. IIRC Enryu killed one of the Guardians so I guess only the strongest people are able to fight equally against the Guardian. I think we haven't seen anything near the strength the top fighters have so there still should be a lot to come.

I remember Yuri said that she could easily destroy the whole Submerged Fish stage and she is (by ranks) only in the 500th. If that's true I can't imagine how strong the top fighters will be :s

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I believe the three higher ranked are the strongest, but not exactely in that order....

It seems Zahard was not active when Enryu got the first place, and Zahard and Enryu were not active when Phantaminium got the first place... People wonder who would win between Phantaminium and Enryu right? And why Phantaminium wetn through the troble of invading the palace, killing many royals, face Zahard and not fight him at all? My theory is that he noticed Zahard is still the top being in the tower, after all he was the first to climb it, and made all the guardians declare him as the ruler of the tower. My other guess is that Phantaminium is like Hisoka, and looking for a good fight discovered that Zahar was ill and lost interest, like when Hisoka wanted to fight Kuroro...

Urek tried to track Phantaminium and people say they have a dog/cat relationship, but I have my doubts if Urek would be able to do something... He fought on par with the 5th ranker, Arie Hon, and it truly seems they were on the same level by the info the author provided. Arie said he fought Zahard 10 times and lost all of them, then he decided to serve him. That is why I think there is still a diference between the third ranked and the fourth.

Bhoot

Reaction score
Country
India
I personally think that Zahard(who will have absorbed Phantaminium or just have been Phantaminium all along) will be the final villain . He will fight with Baam's team of :

Fisherman : Urek
Spear man : Enryu
Wave Controller : Baam
Light Bearer : Koon
Scout : Most probably will be shown later (probably someone who knows the level well maybe Androssi)
Guide : None

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Enryu is supposed to be the best Wave Controller around.
I still don't think Zahard is the main villain. Something else must be. Maybe the Tower itself. Somehow reminds me Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan with that desire of seeing outside just to discover the controlling device.

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I believe the three higher ranked are the strongest, but not exactely in that order....

It seems Zahard was not active when Enryu got the first place, and Zahard and Enryu were not active when Phantaminium got the first place... People wonder who would win between Phantaminium and Enryu right? And why Phantaminium wetn through the troble of invading the palace, killing many royals, face Zahard and not fight him at all? My theory is that he noticed Zahard is still the top being in the tower, after all he was the first to climb it, and made all the guardians declare him as the ruler of the tower. My other guess is that Phantaminium is like Hisoka, and looking for a good fight discovered that Zahar was ill and lost interest, like when Hisoka wanted to fight Kuroro...

Urek tried to track Phantaminium and people say they have a dog/cat relationship, but I have my doubts if Urek would be able to do something... He fought on par with the 5th ranker, Arie Hon, and it truly seems they were on the same level by the info the author provided. Arie said he fought Zahard 10 times and lost all of them, then he decided to serve him. That is why I think there is still a diference between the third ranked and the fourth.
i for one dont think that Phantaminum backed down because he was afraid of zahard. because for one we dont know Y he invaded in the first place . may be he want to retrieve sth or he was bored lol
as for urek being weker than zahard thats expected zahard has been there for a LOOONG time now. While urek took only 50 yrs to cover the test ie he is still young (tog age wise)
with age comes maturity and experience
given that he didnt go into some flashy showdowns like his predecessors Enru and phantaminum and instead created a grp to match against zahard i think he is the deep sea fish . he plans things and is a far thinker.
as for him fighting equally with arie the test was to survive a situlated time/ attacks from aire . urek fought with him in the given time matching him up with those attacks
he didnt go there to show who is the boss around so i think urek had more instore nd thus he is placed higer than hon

nd i dun believe that 12 3 shows the powers
that would be ridiculous
think its a measure of ones capability when he /she was in their prime
but that given i dont believe that some one in 400 will be equivalent to some one in top 5

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Enryu is supposed to be the best Wave Controller around.
I still don't think Zahard is the main villain. Something else must be. Maybe the Tower itself. Somehow reminds me Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan with that desire of seeing outside just to discover the controlling device.
yeah, it reminds me quite a bit of TTGL too. I honestly can't imagine Zahard being the final villain, after all he himself made this system of climbing the tower and there has to be a certain purpose as to why he is doing that (I doubt that he wants to make it more difficult for everyone to clim the tower). Funny thing is that other irregulars (as he practically is one himself) don't seem to agree with him/want to overthrow him.

Host Samurai

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I also think that Zahard won't be the final villain, that'd be way too anticlimactic. He is going to play like the other irregulars a crucial role in the story but what I do believe is that Baam will climb the Tower and go past the 134th floor, which is at the moment the highest floor so far. As to who will be the final villain, I'd rather have the 'being' that made the Tower the final villain.

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Interesting... What if the floors past 134 have a different ruler? The being who created the tower is indeed interesting, If it exists I bet Headon is a double agent! for now Phantaminum seems the most promissor though.

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
well whether Zahard is the main villain or not depend on the time frame of Baams journey. just climbing the tower to the 134 took Urek 50 yrs
nd we had 78 chap for ust 2 levels, unless we r expecting a huge saga like warcraft stories then i dun think we ll get to see every thing

Host Samurai

Reaction score
Country
Germany
well whether Zahard is the main villain or not depend on the time frame of Baams journey. just climbing the tower to the 134 took Urek 50 yrs
nd we had 78 chap for ust 2 levels, unless we r expecting a huge saga like warcraft stories then i dun think we ll get to see every thing
Well, I think the 78 chapters were necessary for the build-up of the story that's why SIU didn't progress that much. He gave aside from the main characters the other various characters some character development while giving us some background information about the Towers mysteries. It's only logical to think that a timeskip will be very likely in season 2.

Sunny-Go

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I can't imagine Rachel beeing an irregular. She's probably not even a full regular.

The Tower ( Headon ) is merely using her to Lure in Baam, knowing their relationship.

We know that she got teleported to Baam's training spot without any purpose, except for luring Baam there.

Why would the Tower do that ? That doesnt make sense at all, cept if shes a mere pawn and not even a regular.

All their actions toward Baam from Guards and other Tower People, showing that someone wants to manipulate Baam character ( with Rachel ) and make him climb further without involving the Zahard family. The director not interfering, when the Sheepassassin tried to kill the Zahard Princesses, which are friends of Baam, also indicates this.
Someone in the shadows needs Baam, to get rid of Zahard.

Baam's new guide seems to be involved in all plans until now. We dont know if the Guide can gain Baam's trust yet, but its most likely.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Why not? I still have in my mind a phrase of the Zahard princess: "I know that I shouldn't mess up with her" or something like that. I doubt that is only because his defender. Something else there is.

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Androssi said that it seemed Lahel wasn't from the same place as them right? Lahel's obcession with the stars also suggest that she is from outside the tower, that is enough to think she may be a irregular....

Krina29

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Is Baam really an irregular?

I was just wandering because in Rachel's flashback when she woke up on the floor that thing said that she isn't the person who should have arrived. So that means Baam was selected but instead Rachel was teleported.

0Xellos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Re: Is Baam really an irregular?

Yes, he is - there's no indication for the opposite to be true. Baam and Rachel were teleported, it's just that Rachel arrived a bit sooner.

abc1233

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Re: Is Baam really an irregular?

Well Baam is the true irregular since he was chosen by the tower, Rachel is more of an irregular irregular since she fell through when Baam opened the door.