Hangout - MH Manhwa Hangout | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout MH Manhwa Hangout

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
This is what I posted in Manhwa Rec. Thread.

Knight Run
About the series

In the era of space exploration. Mankind is at war against monsters of unknown origin. The battle is grim, and the future looks bleak. Amidst the chaos, mankind plays their last hand; it's time for the Knights to step into the fray and turn the tide of this war.

you can get more information and discuss the series in its own thread here.

Image/Cover

Personal Note

I stumbled upon this series two days ago. I started reading it and I am half way there. It turned to be a very good read. The plot is very interesting, Knights meets sci-fi world. What this series lacks is art. Some drawings were not done as I would have wanted them. Overall, the art is reasonable but most other manhwa, using similar drawing techniques, have better art.

I recommend it to those who like action / fantasy series.

Your rating

I will give it 8/10.

It turned out to be a very good series. Art sometimes feel awkward but the plot and characters are really good. Do try it.

---------- Post added April 08, 2013 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was April 05, 2013 at 10:41 AM ----------

We will soon be launching Bleach Tournament - Second Edition. We are looking forward for your participation. Here is the LINK to check out whats happening in Bleachverse

Last edited:

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I know this is not really the place but since our other hangouts are scarely visited i couldnt think of a better place.. Recently started a manhua called Feng Shen Ji. So far 38 chaps released and its frigging awesome at present TOG, Breaker NW and this one is the top ones in my list. Recommend it to every one who likes fantasy and combat manga...
the best thing about it :all manga page is colored; and no its not a webtoon so its those meticulous manga colorings :tem

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
It's called Dogfight. The traduction seems to be stopped unfortunately. It has some resemblance with Blacksad.

Also you can put the original language title in mangaupdate that is how I found it.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i just read Sword of the Emperor at EGS and now its being translated at Manga Cow i just saw vol.1-7 in Jcafe but i can't download it or the links are hidden any site where i can download the raws?

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Hi there. We are starting the collective reading of Vagrand Soldier Ares next August 5th. If you are interested here the details:

Collective Reading of VAGRAND SOLDIER ARES by Ryu Keum Cheo

Hi there,

Do you want to read with us this interesting and already complete manwha? Here we will begin a collective reading of it in next August 7th. So, if you're interested let us know and join the reading and the discussion. Next, you'll find some introductory reviews of this manhwa and, since it's important to get an agreement about schedule and other stuffs, some notes on the rules we could adopt in the reading.

Reviews:

Review written by Zellogan and edited by Weixiaobao here in MH

Title: Ares
Genres: Epic, adventure
Author: RYU Geum Chel
Artist: RYU Geum Chel
Start Date: 2001
End Date: 2007
Number of chapters at review: 109
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 109

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8.5
It's a manhwa, the art is already a little different because of that. The design and the overall style is atypical. It's clean, not overcharged by details, it's easy to figure out what's going out during a fight. It's dynamic and fluid. We can also clearly see the different emotions on characters face. I join an image: the three heroes: baroona, ares and mickael (from left to right).
img149.imageshack.us/img149/3664/aresv02c10001002za5.jpg

Plot: 8
It's an epic manhwa. So, there is war, betrayal, dramatic twists, ... It's kind of a light "berserk". The story is about three abnormaly talented boys who can easily destroy 30 soldiers by themselves. Each of them have an intersting past. Even if it's a shounen, death is very present and everyone can die at every moment. The story becomes darker and darker volume after volume.

Characters: 8
The story is about three characters. But the main character is an odd young boy named Ares. He's incredibly skilled and look carefree even if he have a dramatic past. He's the kind of guy who attract others around him. He enjoy fighting (even killing) but he is not emotionless. He look frail and no one can expect him to be this strong. He doesn't seem very reliable either. He is not dumb or smart.

Michael is the second of the three talented young boys. Michael is much more secret and don't talk a lot. He is very proud and he is probably one of the smartest guy in the manhwa. Michael have a dark side and is emotionless most of the time.

The third character Baroona is less important than the two first ones. But it's possible that he becomes more important later.

There are a lot of secondary characters in the manga.

Themes: 7
Everything turns around war, friendship, betrayal, revenge, ... It's about what you expect from an epic manhwa

Originality: 6
The originality comes from the design. The story is not original but it's still very well done. Originality could have been a 10 if there wasn't a manga called "BERSERK".

Overall: 9
One of my favorite manga/manhwa and it's almost unknown (probably because it's Korean). It's problably one of the top5 manhwa ever done. In my personal "top 10 best manga ever", i have two manhwa: shin angyo onshi and ares.

If you like berserk or claymore, if you like epic mangas with war, you need to read this one.

Short note from wiki:

Vagrant Soldier Ares (떠돌이 용병 아레스) is a Korean manhwa written and drawn by Ryu Kum-chel. The story centers around young swordsman Ares and takes place in a world similar to Ancient Rome.
The manhwa is noted for fluid, dynamic action and subtle anachronism. For example, Ares wears shoes in the style of classic Adidas.

Where to read:

Batoto, mangahere, mangareader, etc...

Rules for the collective reading

Initial schedule:​
  • Discussion about the rules of the collective reading: from July 29th to August 5th.
  • Reading to begin in August 7th.

Initial proposal for the rules:​
Ares has 207 chapter of 20-30 pages each, divided in 26 volumes of 9 chapters more or less. So here some possible schedules:
  • fast pace: 2 volumes per week (like 20 chapters per week)
  • medium pace: a volume per week (like 10 chapters per week)
  • slow pace: half volume per week (like 4 to 5 chapters per week)

My initial vote would go to the medium pace. It would be a good initial pace to know if the comic is good for everyone or not. After two weeks we could agree on increasing or decreasing the pace (or even aborting the reading if we want to).

We could begin the reading of each new group of chapters on Wednesday and post our impressions, reviews, or simple notes about the respective volume in the respective week.

There it is. Everybody is very welcome to join! :-)

the thread for the collective reading is located here. If you want to participate post your intention there as well as your ideas about the pace and other rules.

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Taken from etnews:

Korean webtoon goes abroad
2013/10/08 By Jeon Ji-yeon

Naver (CEO Kim Sang-heon) announced that it would cooperate with the Korea Creative Contents Agency (CEO Hong Sang-pyo) to open a webtoon booth at ‘Frankfurt Book Fair 2013’ which will be held for 5 days from October 9 through October 13, and help webtoon artists with their entry into the global market.

Naver said that the webtoon booth is part of the joint effort of Naver and the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism to invigorate a cultural contents ecosystem and the first step in the plan ‘to help webtoon artists make inroads into overseas markets.’

“The Japanese version of the Naver webtoon application, Line manga, enabled us to confirm the competitiveness and possibility of Naver webtoon contents,” said Kim Joon-goo, head of the Webtoon Business Division of Naver. “We will actively introduce competitive cartoons to overseas markets by talking with global publishing companies about publication rights.”

Korean webtoons are introduced at the Frankfurt Book Fair for the first time. Naver will open the webtoon booth, and introduce 30 webtoons, including ‘Nobless,’ ‘Tower of God’ and ‘God of High School.’ At 2013 Original Cartoon Showcase, ‘the Beginning of All Stories of the World, Korean Cartoons,’ to be held in the “Asia Forum Hall’ on October 10, Mr. Kim Joon-goo IT is planning to give a presentation on the characteristics and competitveness of webtoons, which has become a unique cultural trend of Korea.

Cartoonists like Lee Hyeon-se, the master cartoonist who published a new cartoon called ‘Cartoon Three Kingdoms,’ Sohn Je-ho (story) and Lee Gwang-soo (drawing) of ‘Nobless’ which already has many fans both at home and abroad will meet foreign fans.

About 25% of all book copyright of the world is traded at the Frankfurt Book Fair, and 300,000 spectators attend the book fair every year. It is the world’s largest book fair. Publishing companies from 100 or so countries around the world will participate and talk about publication rights.

Jeon Ji-yeon
Which explains why SIU and the others manhwakas are going to Frankfurt this week.

VanquisherR

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Unofficial foreign Webtoon fans comment section

One of my friends has started an unofficial webtoon comments section for webtoon fans outside of Korea. He decided to make this after Naver's official translation of a few of their series. However, it lacks a comments section for feedback or opinion.

This is the website:
To learn how to comment on the website, head over to http://www.batoto.net/forums/topic/15238-unofficial-foreign-fans-comment-section/

The below is a post from his website:

Hello out there!

안녕하세요!

I am a Korean fan of Webtoon, Manwha (Korean comic) posted on net, and have wished for a time where foreigners can see Webtoons too.

저는 웹툰을 좋아하는 한국인입니다. 전 오랫동안 해외의 사람들도 웹툰을 볼수있었으면 좋겠다고 생각했습니다.

And few days ago, Naver finally released their first official English translations of several Webtoons in Frankfurt Book Festival.

그리고 몇일전에, 프랑크푸르트 도서 박람회에서 드디어 네이버에서 공식번역을 내놓았습니다.

Computer link

컴퓨터 링크

http://comic.naver.com/en/index.html

Phone link

핸드폰 링크

http://m.comic.naver.com/en/index.html

Sadly though, there was about no place where people could post comments, like we can do in Naver's Webtoons.

안타깝게도, 네이버에서 처럼 댓글을 달을수있는 곳이 없더라고요.

And I have decided to make my blog where people interested in Webtoons all over the world!

(Of course, this blog is newly created and is not any official at any means, but I hope we can show Naver what people think about Webtoons with this.)

그래서 일단 저의 블로그를 웹툰에 관심이 있는 해외의 모든분들이 댓글을 달수있는 곳으로 만들기로 했습니다.!

(물론 막 초기화한 블로그라서 크기도 작고, 정식으로 인증받거나 한다는건 절대 불가능이겠지만, 여기가 네이버에게 해외의 사람들의 생각을 알리는 계기가 되었으면합니다.)

So don't be shy! Post short comments, long reviews, sharp criticisms, fan letters full of love etc...

그러니 부끄러워 마세요! 짧은 댓글, 긴 리뷰글, 날카로운 지적, 따뜻한 팬레터 등등...

Please share with us whatever you think about Webtoons!

이곳에서 웹툰에 대한 이야기를 나누어 보아요!

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
what in the world is happening all of my favorite webtoons are becoming stale ,just circling around and not exciting anymore :(

from

Girls of Wild for the past i don't know 5 chapters it's all about a guy who wants to go back to be a good boy and just run after seeing someone from his bad-ass years and what the hell the protagonist is strong now and yet he let people hit him like the old days of him being bullied and then fights back near the end i'm really confuse on this guys thinking

God of High school -from circling around the Greed concept to the Key concept that the normal GoH(you know real martial arts) become Dragon Balls in just a few chapter

Knight Run - the start is good but after some time it was about a girl who can't let go of her sister/friend and becomes a psychopath also i hate the author for just putting some last chapter panels some of them are really the last chapter panels about half a chapter long and put it on the new chapter to lengthen it is this a trend on webtoons

Soul Cartel - well i'm just angry about Faust i mean he just snapped i thought he was good and calculative and just like that after seeing his GF what the hell man :D

Black Haze - the author is just wasting chapters i mean the last few chapters the author tries to joke in the webtoons and it didn't work for me

at least some new webtoons are popping out like The Gamer which is Awesome . Divine Bells is still exciting ,of course ToG :D

BASED Shinigami

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
^I feel the exact same way man. I read the some of the same Webtoons you read and a lot of them have become flat lately. Hopefully, the comics will get back on proper track in the future. At least TOG, Ability, DICE, and The Gamer are still interesting. Girls of Wild has become the biggest letdown lately. The story has no proper direction. Too much attention is being focused on useless side characters. The MC is reverting back to his bitch tendencies. You're strong now, why are you still getting bullied? I just can't take it anymore. I've lost almost complete interest in the God of High School. Everything is too ridiculous. I liked it in the beginning, but then the author started taking the DBZ route with the power-ups. I have a hard time reading the weekly chapters now. Soul Cartel isn't bad. I like the story so far. I was surprised how Faust lost his cool in one of the recent chapters, but Faust is Faust. He'll be fine. I'm a little behind on Black Haze, but I'll get caught up soon. It's a good comic. Haven't read Knight Run yet!

If anyone is looking for a good webtoon comic to read to pass time, I suggest reading Green Boy on Batoto.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
@kidopitz27

Though I only closely follow two on that list. I agree about Girls of Wilds. It really needs to make up it's mind what kind of series it wants to be and who it's protag is. If it wants to be a martial arts series it's time to cut down on the slice of life drama. If it wants to be a slice of life drama it needs to figure out who the story is actually about. It's not getting anywhere jumping from character to character randomly.

Black Haze I'm fonder of. It's definitely slow going but I'm still intrigued; though I continually wish the artwork was better.

Either way though, at least we have a nice new crop of series to sort through. In the last month alone, I started reading The Gamer(which is amazing for anybody who is unaware), Flow(which is solid), Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo (also solid), and Glory Hill (which has a lot of potential).

Last edited:

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i also read these titles

TAL(started reading) ,Kang Hae Kyo,Over Steam(started reading),City of Dead Sorcerer(slow translation), Magician all of them are good :D

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I find slow pace is a general tendancy of corean webcomics. I wonder if it is linked to the way it is published or whatever.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i find TAL confusing i just read from chapter 0 - 95 and i still don't get it

DICE on the other hand is somewhat infuriating i mean the protagonist is 100% "Torpe pronounced as Thor-Pe" that is a Tagalog slang for someone, usually exclusive just for guys, who can't express their love to someone in person. (still in chapter 10 by the way and i'm angry at the protagonist already)
---- i mean the protagonist from girls of wild is doing better than this guy with no help of DICE at all he just trained hard (but he was surrounded by girls though)

strixflash

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I dropped Flow as it was getting annoying with all those protector crap ~_~' The MC is unberable as well.

I just started reading DICE and my feelings are mixed. And strangely I find everyone's favorite The Gamer an average toon... didn't really understood its popularity on MH.

Noblesse and ToG are not in their best form. Both of them are average in story from last 50-60 chapters.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
what in the world is happening all of my favorite webtoons are becoming stale ,just circling around and not exciting anymore :(
It's the same for me to some degree. I started with Tower of God and The Breaker and both of them are not the same as they used to be in their first parts. At least, I like the current arc of New Waves, while the previous arc was the worst in my opinion. In Tower of God, I didn't like the neglection of the amazing Part 1 cast. And the current arc is sorta confusing and and not really thought out well I think.

So, I picked up DICE, Noblesse, Girls of the Wilds and The Gamer. But Noblesse is kinda too repetitive in my opinion, but still solid, so I continue to follow it. I kinda dropped Girls of the Wilds, because all I see every week is that damn boring protaginist scrubbing those cars over and over again. This series completely lost track of the martial arts theme, which I liked at the beginning. Not to mention that my favorite character - Dal Dal - became the most annoying character through the course of the series.

DICE and The Gamer are relatively very new. Both of them are really enjoyable to read for now. I think I like The Gamer a bit more, since it has a cool cast, while I don't like any character in DICE, which is somehow funny. But DICE seems to be more serious and mysterious, which is probably the reason why I didn't drop it despite my dislike for the characters. Don't know how good those series will be once they hit 150+ chapters.

Last edited:

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
The worst webtoons recently are God of high school & girls of the wild. I never expected that much from the second one but the first one completely lost me. It used to be fun & I lost all interest in it. I didn't read a chapter for months.

I highly suggest Yongbi for a refreshing read. It's not new but the scanlatations are new.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
The worst webtoons recently are God of high school & girls of the wild. I never expected that much from the second one but the first one completely lost me. It used to be fun & I lost all interest in it. I didn't read a chapter for months.

I highly suggest Yongbi for a refreshing read. It's not new but the scanlatations are new.
I read the first chapter and it looks good. I'm going to put it on my reading list.

Also noticed we didn't have a thread for it, so I made one.