Fall NFL Thread

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, there weren't very many Miami games on my TV this year ;)

Good notion on creating a separate thread for college football. I've changed the title of this thread to the NFL thread.
 

Logikl

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

OooOooOoo... football thread!!! Let me cry in my beer for a sec :p

Man.... talk about an annoying year of football for a Giants fan... :notrust

I want them to lose this week so I dont have to be tortured anymore. Even then, they might still make it into the playoffs at 7-9 which is so laughable. Coughlin's pissing everyone off... Shockey needs to stfu and just play... Tiki's retiring... Plexico is a pain in the ass... Eli's rattled... we've lost 6 of 7... etc etc *sigh*... (I'm thinking I need some cheese with this whine :crying lol) Well... theres always next year ;)

At least this season can end and I can start routing for the local team or something.... (I live near Baltimore so I guess I have a reason to be excited?... lol)
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, it's been a horrible year for the Giants... which is a shame, since it's going to be Tiki Barber's last year. But well, I don't even think the Giants want to go to the playoffs. They seem really down and feeling like they aren't going to win anyway. I think Coach Coughlin at this point has to be fired. I've never seen a coach so intensely disliked by his own players that they just gave up on the season.

But everybody has to be held accountable on that team, it just wasn't a good year at all for anybody.

Yeah, Baltimore is one of the teams very likely to win the AFC Championship. I think it's going to come down to either San Diego and Baltimore for the AFC side of the Super Bowl. In the NFC I'd be shocked if New Orleans doesn't make it, despite their up and down year. Although Chicago can still make it, of course, especially if Brian Griese starts giving them some decent offensive games to go with their mighty D.
 

Logikl

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I agree GK... Coughlins old school style just doesnt fit with the modern player... or this group of players at least... I think they should get rid of Shockey and Burress as well... they are more distractions than they are productive. What I wouldnt give for a Steve Smith or Todd Heap on that offense... someone that just shuts up and produces on the field (*sigh* to dream the impossible dream.. lol)

B-more has a great chance... I think if they played San Diego today they would have a VERY good chance of winning... but right now, they are just shooting for 2nd seed and the bye in the playoffs. Get players healthy and rested and maybe get some players back for the playoff run to the AFC Championship. Theres so much parody in the NFL in general especially the NFC, you just dunno whos gonna make it in... and any of those teams could honestly be a dark horse and knock out the Saints or Bears... thats what I love about the NFL... you just never know...
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Logikl said:
I agree GK... Coughlins old school style just doesnt fit with the modern player... or this group of players at least... I think they should get rid of Shockey and Burress as well... they are more distractions than they are productive. What I wouldnt give for a Steve Smith or Todd Heap on that offense... someone that just shuts up and produces on the field (*sigh* to dream the impossible dream.. lol)
How about Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne over Steve Smith? Nothing against Steve Smith but he once almost beat a fellow teammate to death in the locker room before ;) Not to mention he's injury-prone, and the Colts duo aren't.

I think Shockey is actually good for the Giants though. He's fiery and the Giants need that kind of spirit. He doesn't like to lose, he just wants to play to win. Problem is Coughlin I think is too conservative a coach for Shockey's liking. They butt heads too much, which isn't surprising as Coughlin puts his foot down so much on stuff.

They need another coach who's more flexible and who can work with Shockey as well as the others. Coughlin would be perfect for a team with, you know, players that aren't so "wild" as much as they are "technicians." The Colts would be a good team for him to go to, for example. I don't think old-fashioned coaches are going out of style, they just need to be a right fit with their players. Bill Cowher definitely found his niche with the Steelers.

Jon Gruden is a "modern era" coach, who went to the Buccaneers, who I think is a more "old-fashioned-type" team. Gruden's a good coach but I think that was the wrong team for him to go to. Jeff Fisher is another "modern era" coach (even though he's a Buddy Ryan disciple) who fits perfectly with the Titans, I think.

Tony Dungy's kinda somewhere in the middle... I think he fits in just fine with ANY team but I don't know if he has the coaching ability to take any team to the Super Bowl.

B-more has a great chance... I think if they played San Diego today they would have a VERY good chance of winning... but right now, they are just shooting for 2nd seed and the bye in the playoffs. Get players healthy and rested and maybe get some players back for the playoff run to the AFC Championship.
Baltimore does have their best team in years, I think. Might even be better than their 2000 team - it's too bad Jamal Lewis isn't running like he did back then, or they'd be absolute team killers.

Theres so much parody in the NFL in general especially the NFC, you just dunno whos gonna make it in... and any of those teams could honestly be a dark horse and knock out the Saints or Bears... thats what I love about the NFL... you just never know...
Yeah, the NFL is fun to watch 'cause you just never know. But didn't always use to be that way... it used to only be the Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, ya know? And even lately we had a Patriots dynasty. I'm glad it seems to be over though.

But yeah in the regular season it's great stuff.

This year though I'd be willing to bet a million bucks (if I had it) that the AFC is going to win the Super Bowl. The NFC is just so weak. My Titans would have made the playoffs already if they had been in the NFC.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

I disagree Phil, I think Gruden absolutely sucks and should be fired yesterday. He let his defense get old and has done NOTHING to improve it. On the offensive side of the ball the O-Line has gotten worse, he doesn't like to let Mike Alstott touch the ball, and I don't think he tries to run any kind of offense that fits his personnel. And well honestly, he won the Super Bowl with Dungy's players. I know he won the division last year, but that seems more like an accident...
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

You're forgetting what he did for the Oakland Raiders, Josh, with Rich Gannon as his quarterback. After he left, look at the Raiders after two years - they totally went into the dump.

I think that Gruden has been extremely limited in what he wanted to do on offense because he hasn't found the right quarterback for his system yet. I'll agree that he won the Super Bowl more with Dungy's players, but he also gave them a little spark too to actually get there and win it. And he also went against his old team in the Super Bowl - which tells you a lot right there. He also nearly took the Oakland to a Super Bowl if not for the "tuck" rule.

But I'll agree with you that his scouting skills need a lot of work but like I said, he's a "modern age" coach - his mentality is more pass than run, and that's why he hasn't really gotten the ball that much to Alslott. That's why I said he was a good coach, not great - he has difficulty adapting to his players' strengths, he'd prefer coaching to his own strengths.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

Yea, he didn't do bad with the Raiders, but he's been with the Buccs for 4 or 5 years now.... I don't like him at all. And if he can't adapt to his players, that's his fault, virtually his whole starting offense right now are players he put on the team, so he doesn't have any excuses.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Players that aren't really living to his expectations for the most part, though. He doesn't have the quarterback nor the wide receivers nor the running backs that he did at Oakland (of course, when you have Tim Brown and Jerry Rice, even in the twilight of their careers, kinda tough to beat that, but still.)
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

I think Cadillac, Alstott, and Pittman are better than his Oakland RB's, and the only thing that has stopped Joey Galloway the past few years is a QB missing him with the ball.[br]Posted on: December 29, 2006, 11:35:03 PM_________________________________________________Hey Phil, just a few stats about YOUR BOY PEYTON vs. the Phins!

Miami is 7-3 vs. Colts QB Peyton Manning and has intercepted him 18 times in 10 games.

I'm not saying anything, but I'm just sayin'...
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

At this point Josh I wouldn't be surprised at all the Colts sucked against Miami. They lost to Houston, for cryin' out loud... :notrust
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, it's going to be nice to see Ronnie Brown rush for 400 yards... :turtle[br]Posted on: December 30, 2006, 12:00:55 PM_________________________________________________Here we go, last game of the year. Not too much to say though. We played one of the worst run defenses in the NFL ever, but we still didn't run enough, IMO. We threw way too many times early in the game. I also thought we should have gone for it on fourth down in the red zone a few times... what were we playing for again? The secondary got burned, per usual. We dropped some passes, like usual. I thought Cleo did pretty well for his first start ever. Olindo had a good game too, but I don't think that saves him. Like a lot of other games this year, we let ourselves get down with bad play calling, poor secondary play, and then we tried to make a big comeback and fell short.

One thing about Lemon, he has an absolute monster arm. And he can move around, and well I just LIKED watching him play. He's raw, but I see why Saban is high on him too.

BTW: The Sun Sentinel reports that Jason Taylor is considering retirement. I don't think he'll retire, I think he's just frustrated, this year was the exact opposite of what everyone said it would be.

I think Brett Favre played his last game. His actions the last few minutes, and then crying when asked about it. This guy is done. He's been great for years, but his skills have CLEARLY eroded, and there is no real reason for him to play again.

Also, I don't think Saban will be leaving. If he leaves us now, his credibility will be completely shot to hell. There is nothing else for him to do at college, so I expect he'll finish out his contract with us before he considers anything else.

Onto next year. First, there doesn't need to be any kind of QB discussion. Saban spent way too much on Culpepper. As long as he's healthy, he's the guy. That's just how it is. I also think he'll bring Cleo back as well. I think Harrington is ultimately expendable. We'll be fine at RB with Ricky and Ronnie. We need to continue to bolster our pass catchers and the line. Especially our pass catchers though.

Defensively, we just have to look for more LBs and DBs. I think Jason will decide to come back and he'll start opposite of Roth. We have several DLs under contract and a lot of young guys, I think we're set there. We need someone to replace Spraghan, and no one in the secondary played well enough to just hand them the job.

Oh yea, Olindo has to go, no doubt about it. He was terrible.

With everyone back next year, and some new additions, I think we'll be just fine. Of course it's all going to come down to Culpepper, but he'll definitely be 100%, and he couldn't possibly be more motivated, so I think we'll see the real Culpepper, (whatever that is now,) next year.

It was a very long, frustrating year. I'll miss football, but I'm glad it's over. Going into year three I think Saban has to produce, there is no reason this team shouldn't be in the playoff mix next year.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, if I hadn't watched the Titans game, I'd be like "well, hope they learned their lesson" (since miraculously all the other games went exactly their way for them to make the playoffs - even freakin San Francisco beat Denver!) - but since I DID watch the game, I think the Titans did try their hearts out to win that game. So... I guess just gotta respect that gritty New England team for doing us in.

Still, extremely heart-breaking for us to have lost a game that would have sent us to the playoffs in the end. But I'm still greatly looking forward to the 2007 season. No one ever thought we'd finish the season without a losing season, and we ended up 8-8.

So now I'm just going to cheer the Colts on in the playoffs and hope that they can manage to stave off all the other teams with their offense ( I mean, if they do keep the other offense off the field, they at least have a chance. ) I still think San Diego will probably make it to the Super Bowl, though.

Btw, Darrent Williams, a Broncos cornerback, was shot and killed in a drive-by last night. :/
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm assuming everyone hates T.O. right? Well I don't believe the Cowboys can do much without him and well I'm really hoping he gets banned or something before the playoffs. Seattle's two starting Cornerbacks are both injured so stopping him is going to prove to be tough. Though I can't wait to see Romo crack at Quest Field. The 12th man is going to drive the Cowboys crazy xD
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

I don't hate T.O. Sure, he can be an ass, but on the field, he's awesome, and he wants to win more than most players.

As for the Boys/Hawks game.... Who knows what to think, they're both struggling.

And if Saban leaves us, I'll be passed pissed. He will be a liar, and lose all credibility to me.[br]Posted on: January 02, 2007, 01:19:40 AM_________________________________________________Here are the games, this isn't for a contest, but who ya got??

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Indianapolis Colts
Dallas Cowboys vs. Seattle Seahawks
New York Giants vs. Philadelphia Eagles
New York Jets vs. New England Patriots

I'm taking the Chiefs because they have LJ, and Indy couldn't stop a toddler from gaining 150 yards rushing.

Cowboys... no strong feeling about either one of them honestly, so I'm just taking the boys.

Eagles, the Giants were fortunate to get in the playoffs, the Eagles are red hot.

Patriots, the Jets played them tough, but I'll take the Brady bunch for round one anyway.
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Buh bai Cowboys!

Wow that was a very emotional and intense game @.@ I honestly had believed Seahawks had lost and was ready to go onto my computer (straigt to MH of course) but stayed to see the kick and Romo fumbled! I don't even know why he was the holder but he fumbled the kick and then tried to run it but just couldn't. Gosh that game was really an emotional rollercoaster if your a Seahawks fan.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

Don't I look like an idiot? I'll talk about the games later...
 

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Damn, i wish i hadnt missed that game. Sounded like a HELL of a game. 21-20 Hawks? damn! I guess i have to wait for sportscenter
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

It was a very lack luster game for 3 quaters, mostly Seattle and T.O. dropping passes. The most interesting part I'd say about the first half was the fight between players, which suprisingly had nothing to do with Owens.

Game starts with a field goal from both sides. Seahawks makes another field goal but then Cowboys make a 93 yard return immediantly

Um well the excitement starts off with a pass inerference call in the endzone. So Seattle was at the first yard line but just couldn't make the touchdown >.> Instead of kicking they went on fourth and got rejected so the score was 13-20 with Seattle losing. So first play Cowboys try to run the ball to Tiki (who was fighting with the Seahawks players the whole time) had fumbled. The ball was rolling outside so Tatupu had attempted to grab it and throw it inside so someone would catch the ball. The play was intially a touchdown but after being challenged they said Tatupu had crossed over the line so it was only a safety.

15-20, games not looking too good.

Seattle finally makes a decent drive to make a TD and make the score 21-20, they decide that the two point conversion would be best to tie the game just in case but well a usual Seattle incompletetion happens. So Romo and his gangs go all across the field into field goal range and well Romo was the holder. Ball never got set up and the kick just couldn't get off the ground. Romo then tried to run to the endzone or even to the 1st down which was at the 1 yard line. Baubtaux just jumped out of no where and grabs his ankles to keep him away. And it converted right there ^^. Seattle just ran the ball and then punted to run out the last minute.
 

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Owens needs to get out of the league. His me me me thing is getting old.

I guess ill get the best parts of it on sportscenter.
 
Top