Shounen Nisekoi by Naoshi Komi

Zeltrax

News Writer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] Nisekoi by KOMI Naoshi

Haha, hilarious chapter. Really like this chapter one. For me, it was way interesting than Kagami but we'll see how it goes.
I still think that he and kagami will be together at the end of the series tho..but who knows.

Negative Syndicate

After reading chapter 2, I'm beginning to like this series more than Kagami. Kagami is good, but I think the mirror thing has a limit what it can do. However, this series has many more potential than Kagami.

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

Chapter 2 was funny...

I really liked how Komi did this love triangle thing that the readers will find a hard time to choose sides between Onodera and Kirisaki. Though I'm into Kirisaki right now since I really like tsunderes (lol). And I'm assuming Onodera is the "let go" type that if Raku really did developed some feelings with Kirisaki that she'll be happy to let him go besides the promise they made. But I want Komi to balance things out so the readers will stay indecisive, I think that's what the series' strong point will be.

And oh, I cracked at Kirisaki doing the finger to Raku..:pwnge

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany

So chapter two is continuing to set up the relationships and the characters.This is starting to get more interesting,especially because Raku definitly developed some romantic feelings towards dat tsundere.

Pirulito

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Chapter one and two are basically the one shot with some necessary elements to make the story longer.
I think the real challenge, and story, will start with chapter three.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I also thought chapter 2 was very funny, especially when the Yakuza and gangsters were questioning Raku. It cracked me up when he said Kirisaki's favorites were enka and bananas! And I loved the page when he finally realized she is kind of cute, a very cute moment.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I also thought chapter 2 was very funny, especially when the Yakuza and gangsters were questioning Raku. It cracked me up when he said Kirisaki's favorites were enka and bananas! And I loved the page when he finally realized she is kind of cute, a very cute moment.
Haha,yeah!Especially that image!

That gave me a good laugh.I hope Komi will be able to keep this up.

Hangedman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

chapter 3 raw here

predsfan

Reaction score
Country
United States

I have to say, I laugh more at this series than any that I read. The facial expressions get me everytime. Kinda makes me want to join the Yakuza :p. Oh, uh-oh, Onodera has shown up. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Hangedman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

chapter 04 raw here

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

I dunno about you guys, but I'm starting to lose hope in this series.... I was really hoping for Naoshi to make a huge comeback but I guess it was too good to be true.

Nisekoi's been so far a good read, but it hasn't hooked me as hard as Kagami did. I was really hoping that after 4-5 chapters, the plot would start to get interesting but it's so far been stagnant throughout the series.

Pirulito

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Chapter 5 is out.
Wow, I wasn't expecting that to happen so soon. It makes me think if it has been planned to be a short series.

Negative Syndicate

It makes me think if it has been planned to be a short series.
If it is, then I wonder why he decide to do short series. He's not a successful author, so he doesn't have enough money to live with. Ending Nisekoi means he's losing a job.

masgrande

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico

Maybe the real plot of the manga is Raku going out with Onodera while pretending to go out with Chitoge in front of their families.

Negative Syndicate

So far, Nisekoi follows all of basic formats of typical romcon, so there isn't really anything new. The only part is different from other romcon is both male/female protagonists' families are either yakuza or mafia.

I hope Komi to bring something fresh and original soon.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I'm not seeing how the key being revealed is some sign Nisekoi will be a short series. All it means is that he is moving the plot forward and they won't be running from gangsters/yakuza every week.

So far, Nisekoi follows all of basic formats of typical romcon, so there isn't really anything new. The only part is different from other romcon is both male/female protagonists' families are either yakuza or mafia.

I hope Komi to bring something fresh and original soon.

Actually, I would say that Komi turned romcon cliche inside out. And no, that is not a reference to the yakuza or gangsters. Komi made the archetypical rival character (Onodera) Raku's "fated girl" of the past, turning that cliche inside out. Then he turned the girl that fate brought him together with (Kirisaki) into the rival character. The way he has written the two girls changes alters the way a typical romcon plot moves forward. Instead of falling for the female lead, the female lead is now preventing Riku from confessing to the rival character. In a typical romcon the tsundere femal lead and OCD male lead are pushed together by fate, hate each other for a few volumes, but proximity gradually leads each to see the others good qualities. Typically Onodera's affection for Raku would lead him to finally understand his feelings for Kirasaki. Instead his forced relationship with Kirasaki will prevent his reunion with his fated one. And what if Raku actually starts to fall for Kirasaki, who is still the main character, not Onodera. No, this is not a generic romcon, I am deeply sorry. Virtually everything is different from typical romcon's. No, it's not as original Journey to the End of the World or Palepoli. But are any Jump Comics? Of course not, and no one expects them to be. Nisekoi is a fun read with good art, interesting characters, a fun premise. After five chapters it is a definite improvement over Double Arts.

I am not sure the key being revealed so soon means this will be a short manga. All it means is that Komi wants Raku to become aware that Onodera is his fated girl early on. If comically running from Yakuza was all Nisekoi was about this would be a terribly boring manga. The tension between being in love with Onodera and forced to be in love with Kirasaki is the emotional heart of the story.

It is slightly odd symbolism that the girl is the key master and the boy is the lock keeper -_-;

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

But then again, Kagami isn't really your ordinary/cliche romcom either. And I find it better than Nisekoi so far, to be honest. Maybe it's because Komi is pushing the plot forward too slowly. With Kagami, I felt like I was taken on a major roller-coaster ride every chapter.

In fact, I feel this isn't an improvement over DA. At all. IMO, DA was still better than this since the plot moved wayyy faster than Nisekoi.

Negative Syndicate

Actually, I would say that Komi turned romcon cliche inside out. And no, that is not a reference to the yakuza or gangsters. Komi made the archetypical rival character (Onodera) Raku's "fated girl" of the past, turning that cliche inside out. Then he turned the girl that fate brought him together with (Kirisaki) into the rival character. The way he has written the two girls changes alters the way a typical romcon plot moves forward. Instead of falling for the female lead, the female lead is now preventing Riku from confessing to the rival character. In a typical romcon the tsundere femal lead and OCD male lead are pushed together by fate, hate each other for a few volumes, but proximity gradually leads each to see the others good qualities. Typically Onodera's affection for Raku would lead him to finally understand his feelings for Kirasaki. Instead his forced relationship with Kirasaki will prevent his reunion with his fated one. And what if Raku actually starts to fall for Kirasaki, who is still the main character, not Onodera. No, this is not a generic romcon, I am deeply sorry. Virtually everything is different from typical romcon's. No, it's not as original Journey to the End of the World or Palepoli. But are any Jump Comics? Of course not, and no one expects them to be. Nisekoi is a fun read with good art, interesting characters, a fun premise. After five chapters it is a definite improvement over Double Arts.
There are really many romcom series that follows your explanation, like I resemble some Nisekoi's development into different romcoms. I still can't see anything that is very different from other romcom series, except yakuza/mafia (well, there are other mangas that uses yakuza as male/female protagonist's family).

I have to agree with Newkerzy; I can't say it is improvement over Double Art. I think Double Arts was really far more better than Nisekoi (damn Jump editors for cancelling it).

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

But then again, Kagami isn't really your ordinary/cliche romcom either. And I find it better than Nisekoi so far, to be honest. Maybe it's because Komi is pushing the plot forward too slowly. With Kagami, I felt like I was taken on a major roller-coaster ride every chapter.

In fact, I feel this isn't an improvement over DA. At all. IMO, DA was still better than this since the plot moved wayyy faster than Nisekoi.
Who compared anything to Kagami? I fail to understand why one would have to take sides or even bother to mention Kagami in this thread. They're not even particularly similar. I don't really get what liking Kagami has to do with liking Nisekoi. Yes, I know it is amazing that neither are action manga and are in the same magazine at the same time.

There are really many romcom series that follows your explanation, like I resemble some Nisekoi's development into different romcoms. I still can't see anything that is very different from other romcom series, except yakuza/mafia (well, there are other mangas that uses yakuza as male/female protagonist's family).

I have to agree with Newkerzy; I can't say it is improvement over Double Art. I think Double Arts was really far more better than Nisekoi (damn Jump editors for cancelling it).
Examples please. I like Nisekoi and I like slice of life, whether romcon or not. I would like to read these manga that are so similar to Nisekoi, and am bewildered how despite being a fan of the genre I have overlooked so many. Whether true or not it is nearly impossible, and makes for a very poor argument, to compare a manga negatively to other, unspecified titles. Along with unqualified denouncements of quality based on qualities that have not been specified make for a terrible discussion. Nisekoi does follow genre conventions, though this is not a negative as novelty generally makes for poor writing. With only five chapters rewriting the rules of a genre is certainly a bit much to expect, so please: where does Nisekoi come up lacking when compared to other examples of slice of life/romcon/school life? There is nothing with disliking a manga based on subjective taste. But it is a very poor argument to claim to make a seemingly objective claim that a manga is somehow inadequate based on a reason as open to interpretation as being "typical" of genre. One Piece is typical of it's genre but no one would make a claim that it is bad. Neither H2 or Cross Game were very different than Touch, yet no who has read them ever complain. Kimi ni Todoke follows the same blue print as Lovely Complex, as do most shoujo romcon. But that does not take away from what a great story KimiTodo is. Not that Nisekoi should be compared to those manga, comparing a five chapter manga to such classics would make about as much sense as comparing Kagami and Nisekoi. But it goes to show that being if being "typical" means following genre conventions than being "typical" does not mean being bad. Hopefully being "typical" does not mean lacking novelty, as adding novel features to a genre does not really have much of a positive or negative effect on story telling.

Double Arts was a very charming manga with very interesting, likable characters but had an aimless, meandering plot that was unraveling by chapter 5. By chapter 5 they were traveling to a never specified location and were soon fighting villains whose role and affiliation was never explained. But simply saying something is bad as it is "typical" is a thread killer, no one who likes the series could possibly debate something so vague successfully. Hopefully they come back to discuss the new chapter, it is kind of sad not having people who actually like the series to talk to.

I'm not sure how it can be determined that a five chapter manga is moving slowly. If all they do is run from mafia/yakuza for ten chapters, I would certainly agree. But that ended with chapter 4 and the story started moving in chapter 5. I can see that a slower pace might not be to everyone's taste but a slower pace is "typical" of non-action manga that do not have fight scenes to move the story and risk over emoting if ever chapter is filled with series shaking drama.

Hamy

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

Examples please.
Wild Ones by Fujiwara Kiyo, Ojousama-Oyemsama (given the love rivals), Gokusen, are some that come to mind. However, I think what Negative's point is that its nothing too new to have a romance comedy based on the leads having crazy backgrounds - perhaps though Nisekoi kind of adds to this a bit by having BOTH sides be part of the crazy background. Then again it might not be too fresh since in essence this is basically a Romeo & Juliet scenario with an added love interest but really its nothing that new.

However, what I do see lacking with the setting so far is that well it doesn't help that members for both sides have been rather idiotic sure it is for comedy purposes but it leaves them paper thin or a convenient device just to somehow introduce more complications to a love triangle or at the moment a fake romance (which in itself is already complicated). Case in point is the meeting in the park of the three and how the gangs presence was pretty much just an extra to make the characters nervous.

Maybe if more gang members actually opposed the romance, we only have Claude, or were suspicious of it then at least the gang aspect would have more of a highlight than just a device. Which is what I would rather see it define itself or set itself apart from other Rom-Com by focusing more on making the Yakuza/Mafia aspect more interesting or more integral than just a device. Something where I can see the Kagami comparisons coming into play as to how both Rom-Com make use of their added touch and revolve things around it, the love mirror can be more independent and has more depth than the gang/mafia aspect of Nisekoi.

The mirror isn't just a device but a puzzle in itself that doesn't intrude itself as much on the romance to give push it too much the way the yakua/mafia have been lately. Course the manga is still relatively young though is one thing to consider but I just hope it focuses more on developing the yakuza/mafia than the whole child hood friend scenario.

Edit: Also to add a bit I think incidentally another weakness of this manga so far has actually been the main character. His feelings are way too easily swayed - so Raku manages to catch glimpses of Kagami being attractive to him - given that he's all about keeping his childhood promise and a guy of loyalty or strong romanticism I find this part rather contradictory. It seems more like he'd be fine with whichever girl he picks at this point, which to me is a weakness rather than a strength since there is no excitement of conflict in choosing between the love triangle.

Last edited: