Hangout - One Piece Mega Convo Thread | Page 110 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout One Piece Mega Convo Thread

EddyBob15

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What does all that say? Is it asking questions like:

What happened between the Revolutionaries and Blackbeard?

What is the fullscope of Pedro's past?

What does Kaido have planned?

Things like that?

MOYcano 0.23

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I don't watch the anime but I think the revelation of Baltigo's incident and The Payback War is near, right?

EddyBob15

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't watch the anime but I think the revelation of Baltigo's incident and The Payback War is near, right?
The mention of the Payback War already happened.

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
I was catching up with One Piece and reading 30 odd chapters in a go. I was witnessing the banality of One Piece when the same drawing style is used for the same characters to convey the same thing in many panels.

Oda writes with ease and with a laid back attitude

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I was catching up with One Piece and reading 30 odd chapters in a go. I was witnessing the banality of One Piece when the same drawing style is used for the same characters to convey the same thing in many panels.

Oda writes with ease and with a laid back attitude
What... There's only one art style... which is Oda's style. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Battou

⎲⎳
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Which shounen do you like the most? Which ongoing Manga is your most favorite? The most anticipated event of MangaHelpers is coming!
The Manga Awards 2017 will be held soon. Be sure to join us! :confetti

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, i get you. But this is Luffy here, he defeated Crocodile and Shichibukai are some of the worlds strongest Pirates.and back then he had no right being anywhere near Crocs power level. Luffy still hasnt shown the rest of his training from the time skip
And remember how many times he thought Crocodile before he won?

Look, I take nothing away from Luffy; he's taken some huge scalps in his fights since entering the Grand Line. My point is though the GL and the NW are 2 VERY different seas and the opponents that he'll be coming across will just keep getting stronger and not many will be stronger than Kaido.
Taking everything into consideration; Luffy's past NW fights, Kaido and title, infamy/introduction (plus what we've seen from him), I don't see Luffy soloing or even winning at a high difficulty.
A handicap/team fight on the other hand is definitely possible, so long as the people fighting with him are similar level to him in strength. I think this is what we have to bear in mind about fighting a yonko.

These guys have supernovas as subordinates, high ranking crew members with bounties twice as much as Luffy's(and we don't even know if the other 2 Calamities will be stronger or weaker; chances are it's the former) and a scope of influence and power that alerts the Marines to their every move.

What's exciting for me is the challenge of facing a yonko and how Oda will overcome this to bring freedom to Wano and victory for the crew.

Battou

⎲⎳
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay

Manga awards 2017 Have begun :confetti Be sure to nominate your favorite manga(s) !!:cheerbunny

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Interesting how some neglect to mention how far more suited for battle an ability like Joker's (and for the most part... his opponents in general) is:
  1. It can perform first aid.
  2. It can be used as a clone whose defeat or damage has no impact on Joker himself.
  3. He can summon a Birdcage the entire size of a country which can't be destroyed unless he loses consciousness.
  4. He can manipulate strings that have no detriment on his physical state or stamina.
  5. His strings can attack or interact with multitudes of people at the same time.
  6. His ability is suited for both lone or multiple opponents.
Luffy's ability? It's the complete opposite; it increases his strength at the cost of not just his physical well-being, but his vitality. Most DF users get power boost without much if any repercussions, but it's the opposite for Luffy. Joker's the worst match-up Luffy or anyone who can only fight closed combat can have as are many of his opponents.

Cracker is like a Joker, but with biscuits. While Joker can make 1 clone, Cracker can make multiple that are so durable that they can only be crushed in Gear 4th. And what does Luffy have? An extremely 1 dimensional ability.

It seems there's not much attention paid to the contextual disadvantage and advantage differential between ability users of different characteristics. It's like not understanding that in a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, there's always one heavily advantaged over the other. More so, in this case, Luffy is either Rock, Paper or Scissors while his opponents are Rock & Paper, Scissors & Water, therefore, ability-wise, they're a hell of a lot more advantaged.

Even Perona's power was so devastating that Luffy, Zoro, Franky and Sanji all lost to her and even had to run away from her because of her powers. Not only inflicting devastating states of demoralisation and depression on the opponent, but able to easily attack multiple opponents at once.

I feel there's a profound lack of appreciation to abilities. One Piece in terms of combat is not all strength based, but very tactical and intelligence based. Even a significantly stronger opponent can lose to a much weaker opponent. All it takes is 1 hit from Magellan to wipe out the Blackbeard Pirates (whom were only saved as a result of sheer luck); Whitebeard nor Sengoku could come that close to taking out Blackbeard with 1 attack.

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Some news aside One Piece have been around, like:

A new manga award to prize new mangaka is going to be held and Oda will be one of the judges!

He made a comment for those who wanna become a mangaka;

"I still remember that Yoshihiro Togashi-sensei gave me a monthly manga award 24 years ago. And Toagshi-sensei kindly remembers it as well.

I mean, let's build a similar relationship with me! Let me be proud of you, like "I gave an award to this mangaka!" when you become a mangaka in the future.

I'll see through your manga talent. Feel free to send me your manga!"
Also...

At Jump Police a TV show, Oda's editor Naito and former editor Sugita made an appearance and some participants talked with Oda by phone:

They were quite excited about it.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Funny thing is, people are forgetting Luffy lost round one against Crocodile, round two even, couldn't beat Kuma and took all it had to beat one Pacifista, and failed to ultimately save Ace. If he succeeds on his own here, might as well just end the manga ASAP as it'll just be him winning all of his fights.
And you don't even realise seemingly that Crocodile wasn't stronger than Luffy, it's only because he was a Logia to begin with. That was also the first Logia that Luffy fought. If Crocodile was so much stronger without his intangibility, then he shouldn't have been hurt by Luffy's attacks.

He also did save Ace, Ace was the one who chose to fight Akainu on his own will, that was not Luffy's fault.

Might as well stop reading if you haven't realised it is Luffy more or less winning. Of course, Oda will guise it as luck and whatnot mixed with doom here and there to excite the reader, but the reality is, it's merely for suspense before the apparently conclusion that could never be transpires.

Just have a read of the Skypiea arc; Luffy was held back by Satori who was the first Mantra user he'd encountered, then eaten by a huge snake which prolonged the arc. If Luffy had met Enel in the first 10 chapters and have fought, the arc would have ended in perhaps 15 chapters. All Oda does is create suspense to keep the reader keen,it is shounen, it's the same cocktail mix over and over again.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
And you don't even realise seemingly that Crocodile wasn't stronger than Luffy, it's only because he was a Logia to begin with. That was also the first Logia that Luffy fought. If Crocodile was so much stronger without his intangibility, then he shouldn't have been hurt by Luffy's attacks.

He also did save Ace, Ace was the one who chose to fight Akainu on his own will, that was not Luffy's fault.

Might as well stop reading if you haven't realised it is Luffy more or less winning. Of course, Oda will guise it as luck and whatnot mixed with doom here and there to excite the reader, but the reality is, it's merely for suspense before the apparently conclusion that could never be transpires.

Just have a read of the Skypiea arc; Luffy was held back by Satori who was the first Mantra user he'd encountered, then eaten by a huge snake which prolonged the arc. If Luffy had met Enel in the first 10 chapters and have fought, the arc would have ended in perhaps 15 chapters. All Oda does is create suspense to keep the reader keen,it is shounen, it's the same cocktail mix over and over again.
Crocodile was stronger than Luffy, he beat him once and beat him again even when Luffy had his water with him. And whether you want to argue strength or not, it's still a fact Luffy would have died if Robin didn't save him, and if one drop of water didn't somehow replenish the water inside his body. It still took a lot for Luffy to beat him.

he did, but Ace still ultimately died, so Luffy still ultimately failed. However here he's gonna get Sanji back, which was his objective in the first place. He doesn't have to beat Big Mom, there are various ways to stop/prevent her from going after the Straw Hats' loved ones. Aokiji and Kuma didn't go after the rest of the crew because of some honor thing after beating Luffy and Zoro, which the same can apply to Big Mom. Or she can be distracted by her other opponents like Bege and his wife, the Vinsmokes, or other enemies.

Luffy has lost many times before and in many cases never got payback. There's no need to show him solo'ing Big Mom, even. The arc wouldn't have needed to end in fifteen chapters though, especially when despite Luffy's advantage he still didn't have too much of an upper hand over Enel.

BlkHorus

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If nothing else, it'll take an immense combined effort of Jinbei, Luffy, Bege, and possibly few others for Big Mom to go down. No way Luffy can beat her as he is now without getting some sort of power-up when he couldn't beat her underling without help and quickly.

Funny thing is, people are forgetting Luffy lost round one against Crocodile, round two even, couldn't beat Kuma and took all it had to beat one Pacifista, and failed to ultimately save Ace. If he succeeds on his own here, might as well just end the manga ASAP as it'll just be him winning all of his fights.
This is definitely a tough spot Luffy is in. Yet it also shows again just how far Luffy is willing to go. Two points to that statement: the first is that at the beginning of this arc, Luffy did not set out to take BM down, instead he was aiming to just sneak in and take Sanji back from under her nose. In a way, that is acknowledging just how much a gap that potentially is between Luffy and the Yonko BM. Furthermore to that point, Luffy has alliance with now two other supernovas with the simple understanding that it will take more to beat a Yonko. Now that fact that Luffy is willing to risk it all in facing her outright is because of his nakama. All in all, she has threatened his nakama and that is something the captain of any crew cannot allow. Thus, it has set in motion for Luffy to faceoff. The second point to this is that Luffy was willing risk hi entire adventure, and two a lesser extent the adventures of his crew to get Sanji back. When he said he would not leave that spot and would die there, that is without regard for the rest of his crew that is headed to Wano and would be assisting in taking down Kaido. It is similar to rescuing Robin. Luffy was willing to make the WG his enemy for the purpose of protecting her. He was saying to her that he will be strong enough to shoulder the burden of making such enemies. And it is the same point he is making now with the Yonko. His nakama are his family and he is willing to make enemies of them as well in order to keep his nakama.

All in all, I do not think tha he has want it will take to take down BM right now. I am interested to see just how he escapes. I think it would be exciting to see Luffy flee after breaking up the tea party, the assassination is foiled, and the Vinsmokes live...all the while Luffy has to make it out of BM territory and continue his adventures to which eventually would lead him to have to take her on again. All that said though, it doesn't sound like Luffy after the timeskip. After loosing Ace, I think that Luffy has really adopted the mindset of Ace to not show his back to his enemy...meaning he will fight to protect his nakama that are there from the wrath of BM.

Fact is, Luffy is facing immense danger and he does not have the leisure of training and powering up slowly... He was lucky that during the first half of the series, he faced dangers, but nothing as crazy as facing the wrath of a Yonko

Should I remind you that Zoro and the others are planning on shitting things in Wano which may push Kaido to react sooner ? Luffy has to get a powerup of some sort in this arc, considering how his enemies seem to get more haxx and have insane abilities without drawbacks unlike him

Every single ingredient is here for Luffy to beat a soon-to-be-weakened BM, Mother Caramel picture, Tamatebakko blowing up, CC's gas + a powerup are good ingredients imo
I am hoping for a push in his king's disposition again. I mean mingo was alright in using his, but the king's disposition of a Yonko has to be a totally difterent level! And really want to see if Luffy can use his a bit better now where he may be able to knockout a few support fighters of BM.

Simply put, Crocodile was stronger than Luffy in their first few meetings. Crocodile was a serious pirate and logia at that. He was pretty aiming to set up his territory like a Yonko of the first half the grandline. His influence and strength is why it was such a big deal with LUffy took him down and exposed him. For a pirate of that degree to be defeated... and it be by a rookie really did shake the world. Luffy only survived the first few meeting because Crocodile did not take him seriously as a threat. If he had done so, he would fought Luffy seriously their first time and made sure to kill him right in front of him. Even Law acknowledged that many enemies of the SH were defeated because they made the mistake to take them lightly.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
This is definitely a tough spot Luffy is in. Yet it also shows again just how far Luffy is willing to go. Two points to that statement: the first is that at the beginning of this arc, Luffy did not set out to take BM down, instead he was aiming to just sneak in and take Sanji back from under her nose. In a way, that is acknowledging just how much a gap that potentially is between Luffy and the Yonko BM. Furthermore to that point, Luffy has alliance with now two other supernovas with the simple understanding that it will take more to beat a Yonko. Now that fact that Luffy is willing to risk it all in facing her outright is because of his nakama. All in all, she has threatened his nakama and that is something the captain of any crew cannot allow. Thus, it has set in motion for Luffy to faceoff. The second point to this is that Luffy was willing risk hi entire adventure, and two a lesser extent the adventures of his crew to get Sanji back. When he said he would not leave that spot and would die there, that is without regard for the rest of his crew that is headed to Wano and would be assisting in taking down Kaido. It is similar to rescuing Robin. Luffy was willing to make the WG his enemy for the purpose of protecting her. He was saying to her that he will be strong enough to shoulder the burden of making such enemies. And it is the same point he is making now with the Yonko. His nakama are his family and he is willing to make enemies of them as well in order to keep his nakama.

All in all, I do not think tha he has want it will take to take down BM right now. I am interested to see just how he escapes. I think it would be exciting to see Luffy flee after breaking up the tea party, the assassination is foiled, and the Vinsmokes live...all the while Luffy has to make it out of BM territory and continue his adventures to which eventually would lead him to have to take her on again. All that said though, it doesn't sound like Luffy after the timeskip. After loosing Ace, I think that Luffy has really adopted the mindset of Ace to not show his back to his enemy...meaning he will fight to protect his nakama that are there from the wrath of BM.
I'm sure Luffy was gambling that Sanji would come back and give Luffy food, and that he expected to win the "wager." Luffy has immense trust in his crew, and he knew or had an intuition that Sanji was compelled to leave for some reason. He likely had no plan to fight Big Mom because he knew he either wouldn't win without severe damage, if he could win at all, or because of time issues. ANd there's a difference between making WG his enemies, who are after him and Robin anyway, and making Yonkou his enemies, given he can try to avoid them.

But Luffy has to be smarter. He can't blindly fight the Yonkou unless he's sure he's ready, and it doesn't seem like it given he could barely beat Cracker and Doflamingo without help. He can't beat Big Mom on his own without some sort of powerup or advantage (like rubber against Enel's lightning), not until he can take out an underling without too much trouble. And I think Luffy remembers what got Ace killed was him refusing to show his back and letting someone get away with insulting his loved ones.

I'm legit excited to see Luffy's entrance.

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
I liked how @zetsu banned replies to people disagreeing on Linlin's true value as Yonko, but this:

2- Her DF's synergetic duality and overall usefulness probably outweigh even BB's hax combo; I think her one DF would be a match for BB's two, if not moreso
I'm urged to reply, Teach is the man that won't fall in the same pit that Doflamingo fell, an gigantic nerf of a pit. He able to wound a Yonko by his mere hands, the fruit that allows him to be strongest said by him and tied with the most destructive one.
Big Mom have had plenty of time to learn how to use the Soru fruit, Teach hadn't. We can infer with Ace's quest that Teach killed Thatch when Luffy went out of Fuchsia village, aprox 4 months before when he ventured to take Newgate's Gura Gura at first exposure of an experiment that no one believed him but came along him for freeing them of Impel Down.

2 years have passed, the true strength of the Yami fruit now it should be at least 80%, after all Baltigo is in ruins now. Oda has been increasing the skills of Teach at an excellent pace, and i bet that by now, Teach is able to cancel every power that faces. With that, it's better than Linlin.

plex

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
But Luffy has to be smarter. He can't blindly fight the Yonkou unless he's sure he's ready, and it doesn't seem like it given he could barely beat Cracker and Doflamingo without help. He can't beat Big Mom on his own without some sort of powerup or advantage (like rubber against Enel's lightning), not until he can take out an underling without too much trouble.
I know what you're getting at, but taking out an underling 'without too much trouble' isn't that easy I'd say. I also think, that Luffy should be able to beat a guy like Cracker in order to become Pirate King, but we're talking about a Yonkou commander here, a guy who's maybe as strong as Marco, and Marco was strong enough to fight an Admiral. Obviously, having a good DF also plays a big role. I agree that Luffy needs some kind of power-up, but maybe his DF is more suited for fighting BigMom or Kaidou, who knows.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I know what you're getting at, but taking out an underling 'without too much trouble' isn't that easy I'd say. I also think, that Luffy should be able to beat a guy like Cracker in order to become Pirate King, but we're talking about a Yonkou commander here, a guy who's maybe as strong as Marco, and Marco was strong enough to fight an Admiral. Obviously, having a good DF also plays a big role. I agree that Luffy needs some kind of power-up, but maybe his DF is more suited for fighting BigMom or Kaidou, who knows.
But Marco also failed to deal any damage against the admirals. Just like his fellow 14 commanders.

And imho Luffy didn't struggle much against Cracker. Sure, Nami helped him soften the Biscuits, so that Luffy could eat them but nothing suggest Luffy wouldn't have been able to break them on his own, even without G4. Only the armor could be clad in Cracker's Haki, and his Haki also isn't stronger then Luffy's, it is just that Luffy mistook the armor for the real Cracker. Aside from his surprise attack, Cracker couldn't deal any significant damage to Luffy. On the other hand, the moment Cracker entered close-quarter combat he got defeated with a single attack. After the fight and after getting beaten up by Sanji, Luffy was still able to take out the majority of the enraged army chess piece soldiers.

I think if Luffy had used 100% of his power right from the start, he could have beaten Cracker with a single use of G4. I mean Cracker could throw as many Biscuit soldiers against Luffy as he wants, that wouldn't stop the King Kong Gun.

Also I think Luffy still has an Ace up his sleeve. If there is a "Tankman" and we consider "Boundman" to be the balanced form, then there has to be an "Attackman" as well, right?