Seinen - Piano no Mori by Isshiki Makoto | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Piano no Mori by Isshiki Makoto

angsana

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Piano no Mori
By: Isshiki Makoto
Genre: Drama, Slice of Life
Serialized In: Weekly Morning
Mangaupdates
RTS

A tranquil tale about two boys from very different upbringings. On one hand you have Kai, born as the son of a prostitute, who's been playing the abandoned piano in the forest near his home ever since he was young. And on the other you have Syuhei, practically breast-fed by the piano as the son of a family of prestigious pianists. Yet it is their common bond with the piano that eventually intertwines their paths in life.

Piano no Mori won a Grand Prize from 2008 [12th] Japan Media Arts Festival

i was taken aback when i saw at kefi.org (barbapapa work) that piano no mori was seinen. so far i completed vol.7 and to me it was shounen, regardless strong wordings and main character's background. so which one true?

~~ i really like Isshiki Makoto style for piano no mori, innocent look drawings to paint an unlikely story about a pianist life. and the point of view, whoala man, i fall in love immediately with this manga. a reco.

[kaiten]updated for info[/kaiten]

Last edited by a moderator:

mugen

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Re: piano no mori - seinen or shounen?

its more seinen ...after all seinen is mature manga so yeah.
and I must say I love this series as well, and is even more happy that it will be a movie :wtf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LouXUmNDd4c

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

It's Seinen.

It was serialized in a Seinen magazine, therefore it is Seinen. Very easy way to find out if something is Shounen/Seinen.

ako

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

um...

I saw the anime/movie, I had no idea it was from a manga... 7 volumes even...
do you know where I could Edited Mangas? :D

Last edited:

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Piano no Mori by Makoto Isshiki

Piano no Mori (The Piano Forest) ピアノの森
By: Makoto Isshiki 一色まこと
Genre: Drama, Seinen, Music
Serialized In: Weekly Morning
Scanlated By: KEFI

Summary: A tranquil tale about two boys from very different upbringings. On one hand you have Kai, born as the son of a prostitute, who's been playing the abandoned piano in the forest near his home ever since he was young. And on the other you have Syuhei, practically breast-fed with the piano as the son of a family of prestigious pianists. Yet it is their common bond with the piano that intertwines their lives.

Also made into an anime movie by Madhouse, directed by Masayuki Kojima (Monster, Hanada Shounen-shi).

We just finished Editing the Childhoord arc of Piano no Mori over at KEFI. That means volumes one through seven. So I figured it was a good time to create a little extra buzz for one of my favorite manga.

Last edited:

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Re: Piano no Mori by Makoto Isshiki

The first couple of chapters of volume 8 are out! Get them at www.kefi.org

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I just started this series, and I have to saw it is a winner, by that I mean it is a series that just keeps making me read it and read it and read it, lovely seinen manga, my favorite character so far is Kai, what can I say I can't wait until I catch up to recent chapters.^^

Btw best page of the first chapter for me, that made me just laugh out loud was this :D:

http://i22.mangareader.net/piano-no-mori/1/piano-no-mori-820919.jpg

All comments there are just laughable, sorry if some things on that page are harsh but I had to post that in order to explain why I laughed.

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I haven't started it yet. It's been on my list for a long time now. I'm going to have to read it soon. Baboysai said the same thing about it you did.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

I need to pick this up again. I read the first two chapters and really enjoyed them awhile back when it first kinda showed up here...don't know why I never read anymore....-_-;

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Wow I just read this series and I love it.

I hope the Edited Mangas continue at this recent pace.. :wtf I saw the anime after catching up with the scans. I'm a bit disappointed. They could have done better, IMO. The depth, the magic, and the brilliance of the manga really got lost in translation from paper to animation.

shouryuujo

Reaction score
Country
United States
one thing about this manga that i dont like is some parts drag out wayyyyy too long. like him playing a piece or series lasting like 3-4 chapters (that's like 3-4 months worth?). it is engagin manga though.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Just read chapter one. Beautiful start to the series with Kai hiding beneath the piano, crying, comforted by the piano playing. Hopefully the rest of the series is as good, I'm looking forward to more. Onto chapter 2.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
man, you're too slow kait. :p

shouryuujo, I didn't feel the drag maybe because I read all 9 volumes in one go... :hurr

One thing that actually helps me read this series is that while I read the chapters I listen to the score they play. And then I can imagine it more.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Sounds like it could contain awesome storytelling and emotional depth, but I'm somewhat alergic to this kind of music related stuff :/
Guess I'll try to ignore it and read it nonetheless, it sounds promising to me.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
man, you're too slow kait. :p
I was suddenly inundated with a slew of new chapters. Almost every series I read had a release this week, plus I wanted to catch up on Sankarea before I started something new :p

shouryuujo, I didn't feel the drag maybe because I read all 9 volumes in one go... :hurr
I finished volume 1 this afternoon and didn't find it draggy at all. I got pretty absorbed into the story too.

Sounds like it could contain awesome storytelling and emotional depth, but I'm somewhat alergic to this kind of music related stuff :/
Guess I'll try to ignore it and read it nonetheless, it sounds promising to me.
The characters are really easy to identify with, the writing is really good and well paced. I love slice of life manga, so far Piano no Mori is an excellent one. Give it a try, the subject is a metaphor, the real story is the characters and their lives.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
yeah, it's not like some shounen sports manga or something. The way it's written is the key here.

shouryuujo

Reaction score
Country
United States
you will find the later chapters a bit draggy... i recall almost an entire volume was him playing with people in awe...

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Damn. Now I'm worried it actually won't be scanlated... :shakefist

shouryuujo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Damn. Now I'm worried it actually won't be scanlated... :shakefist
it will be easy since many pages just him playing - no trans needed :p

slight spoiler in whats to come...
Basically he goes to europe (italy/england) for a world pianist competition and they were to play many different pieces in succession and like a whole volume was him playing different pieces...

Last edited:

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
As long as we don't lose any staff, we will keep Editing it. ;-)
If we do however, I'm not sure how much energy I'd have left to look for new people.

I'm sure Piano no Mori could be draggy for people that are reading the Japanese releases, since it's a bit irregular in serialization (much like our own Edited Mangas...*cough*); but we'll only know for sure when we get there. I know at least my translator hasn't gotten bored of it yet or anything.