Pinoy Hang-Out Thread v. 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
@MJ- The fourth episode's gotten lots of controvercy. One of the co-founders of Gainax quit because of it's poor reception by the fans.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurren_Laggan#2channel_incident

@Yonie- Startrek was a great movie, saw it twice... Though I don't think watching it a third time would be good for me. I noticed all the flaws the second time around, and I'm scared that watching it a third time would ruin it for me.
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
@MJ- The fourth episode's gotten lots of controvercy. One of the co-founders of Gainax quit because of it's poor reception by the fans.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurren_Laggan#2channel_incident
Hmmm... Interesting. Why doesn't that happen to whoever produces the Naruto anime?

Japanese and South Koreans bigwigs generally take criticisms very seriously, unlike politicians here who don't give a damn. An ex-South Korean president even committed suicide a couple of days ago because of corruption allegations.

Oh, how that would be fun if that happened here.

On Star Trek: So, did Syl... I mean Spock steal any powers? :D.
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Oh god, I kept on waiting for him to crack someones skull open! :rofl
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
@MJ: its in their culture, that strict moral code that came from China and spread to the narrow-eyed people. we, i don't know when it started, but our strongest moral is "bahala na." not catholicism, not rebellious attitude, but that saying, it's in our blood. which is pretty cool you know.
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
The power of the Filipino is the power of the dedma.
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
If you look deep in our history, it really is a "bahala na" culture... We ate what grew on the ground and gathered only what we needed to sustain ourselves, built our houses wherever our tribes were, and hunted animals to appease gods.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
and that's also the attitude that prevents us from moving forward. Until we get rid of that, we won't progress. (much like the caste system of India).
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Well, the caste system is something religious. The "bahala na" system seems to be something we do just for the heck of it.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
yeah but i'm not comparing it that way. I'm saying it's rooted deep in our people, and it stops us from taking action because of its mere presence.

Iirc, India cast aside the caste system (cast, caste, hehe, i didn't do that on purpose) so they could finally work together. It's not too visible yet but they are way better than the philippines in terms of progress now. Rocket science says so. :oh

So, unless we say goodbye to this "bahala na" instinct, we'll always and forever accept that we're only up to this point. Di na natin kaya, bahala na.
 

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Well, to be fair, it also works the other way around. "Mukhang di kaya 'to, a. Wala namang mawawala kung susubukan. Sige na nga, bahala na." Although I never ever think like that, hehe.

The problem is when you screw up and not think about the consequences.

==========

Oh, and Orlando won haha. I'd be really pissed off if they lost because of Dwight Howards fouling out, that was clearly a clean block on Lebron.

Lebron and Kobe really are monsters.
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
It's true that the "bahala na" saying is what keeps us from progressing at a steady rate, but it also keeps us up when things are bad. So in retrospect, we can't just let go of that "philosophy"; instead we should acknowledge that it's there, but do what we can to strive for our future.

re:Gurren Laggan- I hate love triangles... It turns epic things into things that are completely full of fail...
 
Last edited:

kuroihikari

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
542
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
You're already past me in Gurren Lagann? You're seriously doing a marathon, huh?
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Only episode 9 atm. I'm doing a marathon since there's nothing for me to do...

They sort of fixed the love triangle problem...
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
nah you'll see, don't assume anything yet from episode 9! it's gonna get more epic later.

also i'm so happy. and furious. but a win for orlando in the end. good god joey motherfucking crawford needs to die. i almost threw the TV when they called that 6th foul on Howard, AND gave him a tech! what a clean block from all angles, ridiculous, ridiculous bias to Lebron. but they managed to get the win. cmon Dawight win this thing
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
uhm, no, i don't know where you got that tbh :sweat but you'll see. i'm not gonna tell you how to enjoy it, just watch the rest and judge for yourself. it's one of my favorite series
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I just finished ep15 of Gurren Laggan. The story's gotten pretty good, but I keep on feeling that anything after this point will be forced.

ep15 spoiler
I LMAOD' when Lordgenome still talked after having a HUGE hole drilled through him... Major Kung-Pow moment!

Damn you Yonie... I broke my mecha addiction years ago, and ever since you guys got me watching Code Geass and Gurren Laggan it's started again... Only if they had mecha that had gratuitous amounts of blood and violence (I've seen eva dozens of times... It doen't do anything for me anymore).. also if I could find one that didn't have a prettyboy as the main character, I'm sick and tired of seeing protagonists that look so ambiguous that you could pass them off as a woman if they wore a dress.
 
Last edited:

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
I just finished ep15 of Gurren Laggan. The story's gotten pretty good, but I keep on feeling that anything after this point will be forced.

ep15 spoiler
I LMAOD' when Lordgenome still talked after having a HUGE hole drilled through him... Major Kung-Pow moment!

Damn you Yonie... I broke my mecha addiction years ago, and ever since you guys got me watching Code Geass and Gurren Laggan it's started again... Only if they had mecha that had gratuitous amounts of blood and violence (I've seen eva dozens of times... It doen't do anything for me anymore).. also if I could find one that didn't have a prettyboy as the main character, I'm sick and tired of seeing protagonists that look so ambiguous that you could pass them off as a woman if they wore a dress.
Then it's not yet too late if you haven't watched Gundam 00... Haven't you?
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I haven't seen it yet... I actually turned my back on Gundam after seed... I couldn't take the she-male protagonists anymore, plus the main characters seem to get younger and younger...
 

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
You... you... you HEATHEN! If you consider yourself a true Pinoy anime fan then Gundam should definitely be always on your list!

The series departed from the HMS Invincible class Gundams, where a couple of teens obliterated an entire army. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Kira and your boyfriend.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top