Discussion - Shanks Discussion | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Shanks Discussion

What Shanks' Plotting?

• Total voters

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just came up with this when someone mentioned Shanks protecting the Straw Hats (the theory doesn't have much connection to that person's statement, it's just that it made me think of what would become of Shanks in the future of One Piece). Everyone in the Straw Hat crew has had somebody who meant alot to them die. Zoro: Kuina died. Nami: Bellemere died. Ussop: His mother died. Sanji: All the people on the ship he worked on before Zeff came died (I think so, though if they didn't, that may ruin my theory.) Chopper: Dr. Hilruk died. Robin: Jaguar D. Saul died, and her mother, and the academics of Ohara, but Saul alone is enough. Franky: Tom died. Brook (assuming he joins): All of his crew-mates died. HE HIMSELF died.

Notice the exception yet? It's Luffy himself. Unless Sanji's original crew-mates didn't die in the storm when Zeff attacked, Luffy is the only one who hasn't lost somebody important to him. This leads me to conclude that (and I hate saying this, because if it happens I will NOT be happy about this, as he is probably my favorite non-Straw Hat character) that Shanks will end up dying. Really, there's no other way. I doubt he will fight Luffy, I always saw Luffy fighting Whitebeard, but not Shanks. And Shanks is a Yonkou, so Luffy will probably HAVE to fight Shanks, unless Shanks is dead.

Flaws with my theory: Firstly, as I mentioned, Sanji's former crew-mates may or may not have died, I'm not sure. But if they didn't, that does ruin my theory, as it hinges on all of the Straw Hats needing to lose someone important to them. Unless Zeff dies, but seeing as the Straw Hats are long past the Baratie, so there probably won't be another Baratie arc where Zeff could be in danger and be killed, I think Zeff will be alive at the end of the series to be re-united with Sanji again, at least for a while. However, this potential flaw can easily be checked, as the fate of Sanji's ex-crew-mates is already established in the manga. However, the next flaw depends on something unknown.

Flaw number 2: Ace. Ace (and I don't like saying this either, because he's ALSO one of my favorite non-Straw Hat characters, though I like Shanks more) is missing in action, and there is a very good chance that he's dead. If he is dead, then that means that somebody important to Luffy already HAS died, meaning that Shanks is probably not going to die. However, whether Ace is alive or not is unknown, but if it turns out that he didn't survive his duel with Blackbeard, and that Sanji's ex-crew-mates also died, then I think that that means that Shanks is almost certainly going to die.

Last edited:

Impel Down

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: A Theory on Shanks' Fate

Well, with Sanji and Luffy, both of their people lost a part of them that was very dear to them, Shanks's arm and Zeff's leg. And Luffy also had Ace, Dragon, and Garp leave him, so that's like having someone die, sorta.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Well, with Sanji and Luffy, both of their people lost a part of them that was very dear to them, Shanks's arm and Zeff's leg. And Luffy also had Ace, Dragon, and Garp leave him, so that's like having someone die, sorta.
Yeah, but Shanks and Zeff seem perfectly able to function, even without their missing limbs, and that's not the same as death at all. And Luffy didn't even KNOW about Dragon, so that hardly counts as a loss. And Garp leaving him probably relieved Luffy, but either way, he's still ALIVE, and even met up with Luffy. Ace also, Luffy probably missed him alot when he left, but they were re-united in Alabasta. Unless Ace is really dead now, in which case I admit that my theory probably won't come true.

kaizoku-ou

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mexico

i think oda implied that ace died in the fight with blackbeard because it said something about causing some unprecedented events or something like that,and i don't think blackbeard dying would have any effect on anything given his unknown status. personally i think it would be interesting if they also had that relation between crewmates but that would make the story predictable and oda is known for being unpredictable

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

maybe Luffy's mom is dead as well (unless she is Dadan) but that does not prove your theory wrong cuz i dont think Luffy was to close with his mom

caco

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic

maybe gold roger is an important person for luffy (kind of inspiration) and he is dead, maybe you are looking for more close relative.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Luffy's mother is a total unknown as of now. And besides, since he didn't know about his father, I don't see why he would know about his mother. And whether Dadan was his mother or not also remains a mystery as of now. And Roger WAS important to Luffy (look at how excited he was to see Loguetown and where Roger was executed) but he didn't know Roger personally, so I don't think that Gold Roger counts.

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

i think he knew his mother cuz i dont picture Dragon giveing Luuffy to Garp and when Garp left who took care of Luffy and Ace¿?thats why i think he knows her

phatspy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago

i disagree there must have been some special reason why dragon left luffy and ace with garp it could not just have been out of the blue but something must have had happened to the their mother for dragon to place custody of them to garp

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

aye, we dont know much,in fact we dont know squad haahahah =Pmaybe she died and Dragon became a revolutionary? personaly i dont think thats the case,just trowing that idea, maybe someone will

Last edited:

rambokid

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Guinea-Bissau
Red-haired Shanks

i've watched through a lot of pages and couldnt find an "official" shanks topic, so i start a new one.

Here are my hint for discussion:

According to timeline ( http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/World_Timeline ) Shanks was 15 years old when Gol D Roger died. He was an apprentice among Roger's pirates so he developed his power between 15y and 27y, when he goes back in east blue and meet Luffy. WB says that he was shocked when he lost an arm so Shanks already was a Younkou before his meeting with Luffy, this implies that in less than 12years Shanks passes from the status of apprentice pirate to an Emperor of the Sea, this is quite impressive isnt it?

Now, he is a Younkou so with a huge power, and he was in Gol D Roger's crew, why the fuck he didnt go straight for One Piece and become Pirate King before returning in East blue? Maybe is he not interested in that title after all? Or maybe he was planning to do that after his trip on the East Blue but he abandon the project after losing an arm / leaving the task to Luffy?

Host Samurai

Reaction score
Country
Germany
@rambokid: I think the reason why there is no new Pirate King is very simple in my opinion. And the reason why a new Pirate King hasn't appeared yet... is because of the existence of the Yonkou. I came to that conclusion when Garp told us that Shanks, WB & Co. are the rulers of the sea on the second half of the Grandline, we know that these four powerful pirate crews are to some extent equal in power. And WB's statement affirms my theory. That currently it's impossible to become the Pirate King.

What I'm trying to say is this.... what if each single Yonkou has his own territory? And the path to reach the last island Raftel is within or connected to the territories of the Yonkou's? Then that would explain why after Roger's death, that no one has become the Pirate King after so many years. The Yonkou's are currently stuck that they can't go on anymore because they and the WG are there worst enemies. If a fight/war between the Yonkou's would occur then they can't allow themselves to lose no matter what because if they lose, they would everything!!!

That's why I believe that right now, it's impossible for a new Pirate King to exist with these circumstances.

Razh

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I don't think Shanks or anyone close to Luffy will just have to die just because each of the SH had someone close to them die. Also, there's still a lot that we don't know about Luffy's childhood. He obviously wasn't raised by his mother. Ace was already with Dadan when Garp brought Luffy.

ANBU4U

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think both of you are wrong.

First of all, just because WB remarked about someone as strong as Shanks losing his arm doesn't necessarily mean that Shanks was a Yonkou when he first met Luffy. WB and Shanks have a fairly long history, thus its more likely that WB's shock was based on the respect Shanks had garnered through his abilities up to that time.

I mean, from what WB says Shanks and Mihawk were once rivals of sorts...it would seem that WB was in a position to watch them grow as pirates, and was simply stunned when a man he'd come to respect/expect great things from, came back from the weakest ocean of all the blues dismembered.

Furthermore, it would seem from Rayleigh's recollection of when he first heard about Luffy, that Shanks first re-entered (he must have been there on the Pirate Kings ship) the New World from the same point most Rookie Pirates do: The Shabondy Archipelago. Therefore, it would seem reasonable to assume that Shanks ran into Rayleigh the same way Luffy did....while he was looking for a coating mechanic. What I'm getting at here is that if Shanks was JUST entering the NW when he told Rayleigh about Luffy, then there is almost no way he was a Yonkou already when he met Luffy. In fact, he probably wasn't even a well know rookie, as such a rookie would have a hard time hiding out in the east blue in the first place. Especially for...what was it? Over a year?

As for Host Samurai's point that no Yonkou has taken the title of Pirate King because they are in a stalemate...I agree and disagree.

I think that we can all agree to a point, that the likes of WB and Shanks at least are fully capable of claiming the title of Pirate King...in other words they have what it takes to legitimately claim to be the strongest on the seas. (Remember that "PK" was just nickname Roger used which became popular....it means nothing more than unofficial superiority amongst scally-wags...and more recently, the owner of One Piece) The reason I think they haven't (particularly WB, who should have been around long before the other Yonkou) is for two reasons:

1 (Most Important): Neither Shanks, nor Whitebeard, has any real interest in becoming Pirate King. I have no idea what their true goals are (they aren't just lazing about I'm sure) but I'm 100% certain it is not Rogers treasure or a fairly superfluous title. Both Shanks and WB seem to be far more invested in A-opposing elements of the WG and B-supporting the next generation (WB with Ace, and Shanks with Luffy). I feel like Shanks and WB know whatever it was that The Jolly Roger Pirates found out in relation to the blank history......and they simply don't know quite what to do about it. It would seem that the Jolly Roger pirates raged across the sea but ultimately suffered both a change in mindset, and an inability to keep going (Rogers Illness). Still it seems as though the "Great Pirate Age" was more or less Rogers final solution to whatever problem he had with the established world order. Once again, I haven't worked it all out yet (And likely won't until the next to last chapters)...but I'm fairly certain that WB and Shanks share a similar mindset (in regards to how the world should be), and thus (knowing its true nature) have no PERSONAL interest in one piece. They do however have a vested interest in the next generation taking up the torch, and seem to be doing their best to help their particular champions along while keeping whatever hidden dangers we don't yet know of (relating to the the Heavenly Dragon People, Blank Century, and perhaps more) at bay. This brings me to point number 2...

2: The other two Yonkou DO want the One Piece, however Shanks and WB are collaboratively (yet independently) keeping either from advancing any further into the NW. Both WB (who is getting Ace ready) and Shanks (who is waiting for Luffy to arrive) are trying to keep things neutral until they are in a position to make their plays.

With the recent war at Marineford, and the inevitable arrival of Ace and Luffy to the main stage, the Ratrace will finally begin in earnest in the New World. Rather than simply hold territory the Yonkou will begin to move (as WB and Shanks will begin to move). And a rookie wave, led by Luffy and to a lesser extent Ace, will begin to alter the power map.

The World Government BTW, will be broken here. But not by Luffy or WB, but by the shichibukai. Specifically, Blackbeard. If you can't tell he's up to something big you you must not understand foreshadowing.

Im not certain how that plot thread will run its course, but it will come into play in the NW power struggle somehow, count on it. The entire Fishman Island arc will be about the changing world power dynamic and how things will be put right (Remember peace is maintained on FI because of WB's influence...count on that deteriorating by the time Luffy passes through). Jimbei will likely be a long-term traveling companion because of this....I just can't see him leaving the main-plot until the FI arc is finished. He's too invested.

I'll end things with an off the wall guess as to how the WG will try to regain dominance after the Pirates officially take the edge......Pacifista. Lots of them. But count of a backfire of epic proportions. That when Vegapunk will be introduced proper.

Last edited:

modoki

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Shanks has already sacrificed his arm to bet for the new age.

Shanks will most likely put his life on the line for luffy during the final arc in many years to come. Since I believe luffy sees shanks as father type figure.

The new age is probably the Dark Age since BB will most likely replace WB as a yonkou. The crew relies heavily on fate, so it will indeed come.

As far as i can tell so far in OP, Shanks could be the strongest yonkou that exists at the moment. The problem is, most likely he doesnt care for that title and doesnt have any interest in obtaining the one piece. Instead he is focusing on drinking, having fun, and waiting for luffy to grow up.

Razh

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
It's not like Blackbeard can just become a new Yonkou if Whitebeard dies. First of all, he has a crew of 5 people at the moment. Even if he recruits some prisoners, he still can't have more than 100. And that's overstatement. There are no weak pirates where he went. I don't think they would just bow down to some unknown pirate.
So yeah, he goes into New World. Then what?
You think the 3 remaining Yonkou, or more like Sankou, would just let Blackbeard take the part of NW that belonged to Whitebeard before? Probably the biggest part too. Not likely.

Shanks is probably really really strong. He just has fun and enjoys his life to the fullest. We all know that Mihawk doesn't want to fight him because he would feel bad if he won against one armed man. And he probably has a point. Should they have a duel, and should Mihawk win, there will always be that fact that Shanks had one arm. It wouldn't matter how strong Shanks is or how hard it would be to beat him.
And Shanks simply doesn't care who the strongest swordsman is.
But if anything, I think he is stronger now then when he had both hands.

ScratchmenApoo

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
I agree him being stronger with 1 hand instead of two, because over the last 10 years, he could concentrate all his training and might into his one armed swordstyle. I mean, when WB used his polearm with both hands, it was equal to Shanks' one hand.

Now, as I remember seeing Shanks inviting Marco to his crew with a jolly face, I wouldn't be surprised, if Shanks asks Luffy to join him the next time they meet. I'm not sure about Luffy's answer though, his idol or his nakama.

Anyways, no matter how the story evolves through time, I hope Shanks' story (if he indeed dies or something like that) won't turn out cliche', like most other stories.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I hate to revive a really old thread like this (pfff, not really :p), but this is the right thread to post it in and this doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet..

The other day I just suddenly realized Shanks must have been pretty damn young when he started pirating. I bet it's just me being a bit slow, but seriously, from what we can gather from his timeline, he was at most 12 years old when he joined Roger's crew.

First of all, we know from the SBS of Ch. 4 that Shanks is 37 years old. We also know that the execution of Gold Roger was 22 years ago, as mentioned many times in the series (example), meaning Shanks was 15 when Roger was executed.

Then, in chapter 0, and specifically this page, it's mentioned that the great battle between Roger and Shiki took place 3 years before the execution of Roger, meaning Shanks was 12 during that battle. 12! And at that point they were already in the New World, so it's possible he was even younger when he actually joined the crew.

I don't think Oda made a mistake either, saying Shanks was 37 and then just kind of having to go with that, because I do think he wanted Shanks to be the same age as Luffy when he formed his own crew (in ch. 0 we see 17 year-old Shanks asking Yasopp into his crew).

And this only brings up new questions in my head. Most of all I'm really looking forward to seeing how he got a position on Roger's ship at that age, though. I just hope we'll get to know a bit more about Shanks' past in the future..

kangclaw

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shanks seems like one of those characters that think a lot, strategists type, wise, calm etc...

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, Buggy and him were the cabin boy...So doesn't seem weird for me. Although it scares me that He could able to fight that well in that age, but being the fact that Buggy was there too and was not killed...