Discussion - Shanks Discussion | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Shanks Discussion

What Shanks' Plotting?

• Total voters

chess4

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
shanks will live. remember what he told luffy, he told luffy to return his hat when he has become a great pirate. so he has to live to get it back.

also i dont think shanks will be like WB.

closenaze8

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Do Shanks knew about the One Piece already because he was boarding the Pirate King's Ship before? If it yes, why he still go pirating and even became a Yonkou,? Knowing that someone, and he knew that Luffy is the next Pirate King. Do you think all the pirates and Yonkous know about the One Piece already in the New World? So they made territories to control or take over the New World instead.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Re: What Shanks' is after?

I don't think he's after One Piece. Maybe he just wants to conquer the seas or probably like Luffy, have the most freedom.

Razh

Reaction score
Country
Croatia

I think Shanks' goal is to be sort of a guide to new age. He believes that Luffy can do what Roger couldn't. That he's the one Roger was waiting for to fight against WG. And he will help him do that, even if he has to fight him to make him stronger. Well, that's how I see it.

(Btw, you didn't need that apostrophe in the title.)

31TeV

Reaction score
Country
England

I think his goal is just to party and get drunk all the time.

RichardMNixon

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I think his goal is just to party and get drunk all the time.
That and look out for his friends.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I think Shanks' goal is to be sort of a guide to new age. He believes that Luffy can do what Roger couldn't. That he's the one Roger was waiting for to fight against WG. And he will help him do that, even if he has to fight him to make him stronger. Well, that's how I see it.

(Btw, you didn't need that apostrophe in the title.)
That was (part of) Whitebeard's goal; he wanted to build a family, and raise the next generation of pirates. That's why he asked Roger about the will of the D.

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
What Shanks is after?

-Revenge for what Blackbeard did to his face and Beers :beer

danzouismadara

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think his reason has to do with the scar on his face--which is part of his jolly roger.

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
is it more symbolic than anything? or was shanks overwelming strength not planned at that point by oda?

this is what i mean

we all saw how rayliegh dominated any seaking or whatever that swam after him as he swam to amazon lily

one could only assume that shanks' haki mastery is somewhere in the ballpark of rayleighs or maybe even greater due to the dark kngs advanced age

and we all heard edward newgate say "when a man of your caliber retrns from east blue without an arm it makes us wonder" or something like that

so why did shanks lose his arm while saving luffy? was there no other way for him to pull off that rescue with his advances haki mastery and stregnth?

or was haki not even part of the plan back then?

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
or was haki not even part of the plan back then?
i think atleast the conqueror haki was planned... the other shit like hardening... no.

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
im just trying to figure out how shanks could lose his arm in that situation being the total badass that he is....

whitebeard said it best.....

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
In hindsight, yeah it's kinda strange. But looking at the page now, Luffy was practically in the Sea Kings mouth when Shanks snatched him up so maybe Shanks didn't think about armament, he was just thinking about Luffy's safety. Or maybe it is just the fact that haki wasn't as thought out as it is now. Wasn't One Piece supposed to be a lot shorter than it is?

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
In hindsight, yeah it's kinda strange. But looking at the page now, Luffy was practically in the Sea Kings mouth when Shanks snatched him up so maybe Shanks didn't think about armament, he was just thinking about Luffy's safety. Or maybe it is just the fact that haki wasn't as thought out as it is now. Wasn't One Piece supposed to be a lot shorter than it is?
It supposed to last 5 years. I was thinking about DF but that didn't make sense because of Buggy's flashback. Beside Shanks is too cool to have a DF.

KungPaoChicken

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Maybe Shanks didn't have enough time to save luffy with the hardening. It might have been reacting to instinct.

0Xellos

Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
It supposed to last 5 years. I was thinking about DF but that didn't make sense because of Buggy's flashback. Beside Shanks is too cool to have a DF.
And Shanks is too good a swimmer to have a DF :D

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It's symbolic, as we learn later on. I think it's to show that Shanks had faith in Luffy and thought of him as highly important, as well as possible successor to Roger. Shanks always mentions "a kid who reminds me of what Roger used to say" whenever someone asks what happened to his arm or where the strawhat went.

Plus, chances are that Shanks didn't learn haki at the time, no? He wasn't part of the Four Emperors, if I recall/assume and was still green.

darth volcaniz

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
shanks DID use the conqueror's haki on the sea king. but that was only after it had taken his arm. this is probably due to luffy practically being in the sea king's mouth at that point.

Kyodai Senkan Mora

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Kenya
....I think the sole reason he lost his arm was to advance the plot, in terms of Shank's faith in the new age and those who would be a part of it...I feel he prioritized saving Luffy over his own safety and as Oda himself mentioned losing an arm did not diminish his strength in any way....Shanks still had his scar from blackbeard at his time so I do not think he was green at all drawing from his conversation with whitebeard...while he may or may not have been a Yonkou he was definitely a great pirate still

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
shanks DID use the conqueror's haki on the sea king. but that was only after it had taken his arm. this is probably due to luffy practically being in the sea king's mouth at that point.
As strong as he supposedly is, him being a rival to Mihawk at that time already or rather ending their competition with that event, he should have been able to just smash the Sea King away, just as Luffy did at the very beginning of the series.

I'm quiet sure Oda didn't think about bodies turning black when he conceptualized the plot, especially since he was planing for a "short" series to begin with.

Last edited: