Shounen Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I don't think he would really have needed to talk to Hachiken. Like you said it would have sort of reminded Hachiken of what things used to be like (obviously bad as he wanted to run away from it). However, I just felt like after quite a bit of build up to the teacher actually appearing, nothing much actually happened and that was a bit disappointing. A little more of Hachiken's past could have been revealed through the teacher's conversations with the Yezo principal, for example.
 

BakaHaze

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
504
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Yeah, I was expecting the teacher as a plot device to reveal backstory, not just appear as a cameo and say: "Oh, Hachiken's doing well huh?" And I forgot, did the teacher stay? If he did, we still might have a chance to see a convo between the teacher and the Yezo principle...
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
And I forgot, did the teacher stay? If he did, we still might have a chance to see a convo between the teacher and the Yezo principle...
They didn't exactly show him leaving, but the aori mentioned that the next chapter would be the start of the summer season... So I think the next chapter onwards will be a brand new arc so unless the teacher reappears in future arcs, it's safe to say he's headed home and we won't be seeing a convo between him and the Yezo principal for a while.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Nxt chapter has been scanlated. The plot moves always as slowly as ever. Anyway it's still funny. The difference between girls and guys competition in particular.
Looks like it will focus more on Hachiken and Mikage. I hope that with the fact it is only the two of them, we will learn more about the reason why he has left his home
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Yeah, the plot is moving really slowly :s

It was really funny how the riders were just there for "decoration" in the calvary race though :XD And I'm also really hoping that when Mikage and Hachiken are alone, having a heart-to-heart-talk (:3c), more about Hachiken will be revealed. I honestly hope it won't be as anti-climatic as the school councilor's visit :oh
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Yeah, I agree. I hope Arakawa starts getting a bit more serious about the plot. And I suspect her grandparents will work him to death for the sake of proving his "worthiness" heh, I'll be expecting a lot of comedy next chapter.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Definitely :XD I'm kinda reminded of HSDKenichi and how even when on "holiday" Kenichi had to do menial labor like fuel the ship by running on a hamster wheel-like contraption. I'm thinking it will be something like that, but even through that, I'm sure Hachiken will learn a lot and gain much insight.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Hachiken's little dance/pose thingie when Mikage asked him if he wanted to stay at her house during the summer was hilarious, as well as Hachiken flexing :D! I don't mind that this series is slow, I actually like the pace. I would like for some drama though, but the series has really just started. By the way, why did the girls only play sports which are considered feminine? I thought they'd be participating with the guys, especially since there seem to be fewer girls than guys.
 

sofisan7

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Bahrain
Guys, she was raised in a farm, so you can say that all her heart is in this manga... well maybe farming isn't our thing, but it's hers so... aren't you kinda interested in knowing part of her life? SHE'S THE ARTIST OF HAGAREN... HOW CAN'T YOU? xD kidding
 

LeDuck

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
295
Reaction score
147
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Chapter 12 is out

Mhh very interesting so far, I wonder if he is really a burnout-student, I have the feeling that he is more responsible for his own situation than he thinks. The last joke was hilarious though^^
 

Samui

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
555
Reaction score
151
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Mikage's family is hilarious :lmao

Another good chapter.

And that's my first slice of life manga, but I still enjoy it greatly. If you expect the plot to move forward, then drop it. It's not going to develop into something more, it's a freakin' slife of life manga. It WILL be slow, especially because its setting is a farm, and we'll have lots of explanations and stuff.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think chapter 11 is my favourite chapter from the series!Hilarious stuff and awesome stuff!
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I was too :-) And that is a big part of my interest in the manga
We even have an old unused oven in our village, so it was funny to read the last chapters. But it would cost a fortune to repair it (it's much bigger than the one in the manga)
Last chapter develop Hachiken past but his relation with his parents is still mysterious.
 

7sun

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
47
Reaction score
3
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
I really like chapter 12. Mikage's family is really funny and Hachiken like
them too. It seems he has problems to go home and a strange experience with
math... or general with studying. Good flashback.
Haha, too bad he has no signal xD
 

ErosVp

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
391
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Chapter 13 is out

I really hate Hachiken sometimes, he acts like a chicken! At least it seems next chapter someone will put some sense in his head, "words will pierce him like a knife"....
Komaba's ranch? Hmm, What is the story behind that?
 
Last edited:

7sun

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
47
Reaction score
3
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
At least it seems next chapter someone will put some sense in his head, "words will pierce him like a knife"....
Yes you're right! I'm really curious what Mikage, her parents or maybe Komaba says him.
Finally he has send the text message, and he's to small for the signal haha.
The Summer Time chapters are much better than the Spring Roll.
And thx for the link :D
 

Samui

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
555
Reaction score
151
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Another great chapter! This manga is excellent, all thanks to its simplicity. That's why it shouldn't be compared to FMA.

Looks like there's a character developming for Mikage coming up.
 

Airget

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
135
Reaction score
55
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hachiken is a teenager so it's only natural for him to have this kind of angst. Judging from the scenes basically he's in this mood where he wants to be able to depend on himself so he feels like any kind gestures from his mom is an attempt to baby him and prevent him from growing up. Even though when he thinks back about it he's aware that what she does is out of kindness and caring for him he still wishes to at least prevent a long conversation which is why he'll only send text messages. He knows that if he calls he'll most likely be on the phone for the while and be questioned as to why he doesn't call more often. If I'm guessing right he's also the kind of guy that wouldn't hang up on his mother no matter how frustrated he might get over the long winded conversation, cause even if he does hang up then he'll just be hassled as to why did you hang up on me while I was talking to you I just wanted to know how you are doing and I'm worried about you.

The essence of this manga is very brilliant, I think anyone should at least be able to relate to that time in life when they try to find their own identity and edge away from the reliance of their parents and become more dependant, for some it's easier then other and for others it's harder. it all depends on the parents but I'm sure there's that little speckle of instance when you wanted to do something for yourself but your parents tried to step in and take control of what you were doing.
 
Top