Summer The Baseball Thread

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

This road trip is killing the sox. Lester is pitching tonight and the down 3 in the 3rd and no Big Papi. **Think Positive** Once they get back to Boston, things should be good.


Very tough loss today for the Sox. At least they made it interesting. Thank god for Miguel Tejada (beating the yanks with a tenth ining walk-off). Still, losing to the freakin d-rays...a fenway day game too. :s Probably some pissed off people who took they day-off.

Anyway, the youk needs to lose the chin squirrel already, and I always knew that Jose Offerman was a pschopath. What a nut.
 
Last edited:

Uchiha Slayer

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
406
Reaction score
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

This road trip is killing the sox. Lester is pitching tonight and the down 3 in the 3rd and no Big Papi. **Think Positive** Once they get back to Boston, things should be good.
<hr noshade size="1">
Very tough loss today for the Sox. At least they made it interesting. Thank god for Miguel Tejada (beating the yanks with a tenth ining walk-off). Still, losing to the freakin d-rays...a fenway day game too. :s Probably some pissed off people who took they day-off.

Anyway, the youk needs to lose the chin squirrel already, and I always knew that Jose Offerman was a pschopath. What a nut.

Put it this way...those Yankees not going win the division.
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

That's what they said in '78, but ask Bucky Freakin' Dent. Yeah, I know, those days are over, but you can't help being traumatized if you're a red sox fan who's over 20.
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

this thread needs some love ^^

any thoughts on postseason? I'm too superstitious right now to make any guesses about the AL, but this is the first year I've been paying attention to the NL a bit, too...the Mets have been having a great season, but I think the Cubs could give them some trouble... ( << idiot AL'ers opinion of NL right now :smile-big ) it's going to be a really interesting month, to say the least :amuse

anybody here? hellooooooo? ..... :sweat
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

How about them sox, huh?

Great day for sports...Pats on in a few minutes and the sox on this afternoon...

Got to love Manny. I can understand walking big papi in that situation, but you can only get away with it so many times. Daisuke settled down towards the end, but he still throws too many pitches (quantity and type). If he just stuck with his best 3 or 4 pitches, without getting too fancy, he'd be much more dominant. The bullpen was outstanding though...I think they kept them hitless in the last few innnings. Schilling will definetly come up big today and the sox will close things out.

Anyway, I kind of hope the Yankees make their series somewhat interesting. It wouldn't hurt if they tired the Indians out before the ALCS. Plus, I think I'd rather see the Sox play the yanks.

Too bad for the Cubs fans...sucks having a cursed team. ;)
 
Last edited:

Slippers

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: Baseball Topic

I really hope the Jay's do better next season =/
They had good players...it's just the injuries that really hurt them
Oh well, I'm routing for the Indians and Angels, although it looks like boston is going to win that series, Indians are looking pretty good though :)
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Ehh...here's maddog's pick for the world series, for all you baseball fans. ;)

Boston in 5. I know, I know, big surprise. ;) Colorado did well against the sox this year (when they played them a few times), but they really don't have a shot. They can hit, but they're an NL team...which is basically JV these days. All this time off is going to sink them, just like it did Detriot last year.

Anyway, look for Wakefield to pitch game 2, and MadDog in section 42. Pissah. Go Sox.


Guess I was wrong about Wakefield. And my tickets fell through too...oh well.
 
Last edited:

rabb

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,572
Reaction score
26
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

i keep hearing sox in six. i've only seen two deviants: sox in six, and rockies in five (but that guy was obviously a roxies fan, reading his veiw of it)

i had to step out, so i missed the third inning, how'd we get the forth run?
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Ortiz hit a double, driving Youkilis home :amuse

hmm...I don't really like making predictions.... *makes me superstitious*....but I have to say, it would be kinda nice if we could clinch the series at home this year. That's all I'm gonna say though :noworry well, that and I hope I stay awake this time, no matter which way it goes. I fell asleep during the 7th of game 4 in 2004 :wall
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

You manage to stay awake? :D

The trade talk is already starting....

I'm hearing that they might send Coco Crisp, John Lester and Clay Bucholz to Minnesota for Johan Santana. That's a lot to give up, but the thought of Beckett and Santana at the top of the rotation would be rediculous. Plus, with Daisuke in his second year, and hopefully Schilling for one more season, they'd be frightening (in a good way).

As for Mike Lowell, how can they not bring him back? It'll cost them, but I think they can afford it. They'd have been nowhere this year without him. We don't need A-Rod...but I wouldn't be complaining if they went out and got him, I guess.

Also, I think this might be all for Wakefield, which is kind of sad. Hopefully he's back, but his injury sounds bad and he's way up there (41 I think).
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

yup, I made sure I wouldn't do such an idiotic thing again :) ( this time I took a nap before the game :XD )

First of all Mike Lowell - hell yeah. A-Rod - he can go somewhere else :noworry I don't know, maybe I'm the only one, but his defense has never particularly impressed me? Maybe he just messes up a lot whenever he played us but, I don't know, he's always seemed a bit sloppy out there to me :blink

As for this rumoured trade....that's the first I've heard of it. What would they do then for CF, get a new guy? Thing is, I like that so much of our strength this season was from the young guys, and I don't think we should be trading that all away. Meh, what do I know, I just always hate to see the guys go, but trading long-term talent like Bucholz and Lester for another big guy doesn't really sound like the most excellent idea to me....I mean, look what happened with Gagne, he was supposed to be this huge help to our pen, but everytime he took the field I wanted to down some whiskey and hide my head under a pillow :notrust

Wakefield, yeah, that's sad :darn He's an awesome guy, and is such an important part of the team, beyond his pitching abilities. Well, I'll remain hopeful for him, so we'll just have to see :amuse
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

Wakefield, yeah, that's sad :darn He's an awesome guy, and is such an important part of the team, beyond his pitching abilities. Well, I'll remain hopeful for him, so we'll just have to see :amuse
He is? To be honest, butterfly-ball pitchers are becoming obsolete. Steve Sparks retired in 2005, and R.A. Dickey can't find his way back to the Major Leagues. The ball either moves, or it comes across the plate fat. It's too inexact. It'll be an extinct art form soon IMO.
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

ah, well, I meant more in terms of his leadership, since he's one of the old veterans who's been around for so long, more than his pitching stats or anything ^^ I don't really know a whole lot about the mechanics of pitching (not being able to throw a ball to save my life myself) but I have heard a lot of players say that Wakefield's knuckleball is not like any other guys' in the past. And even though there are some guys in the league who can really take it out of the park, for the most part people still have a terrible time trying to hit that pitch.

He did have 17 wins this season, so he's still doing pretty well for an old-timer ^^ And he's been resigned for next year, so that's good, but the bad news is his catcher, Mirabelli, might not be coming back (again). He's the only guy that can catch for Wake, Varitek has never been able to handle it :darn

Never heard it called a butterfly-ball, btw :amuse
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

Butterfly-ball, flutterball...all names used for it. The reason why Wakefield is so successful is because his knuckler is THAT good. When it's good it's very good, but there are still some who can't hit it because it's so unconventional in today's game. But many divisional rivals can light him up because they are used to it. Wakefield may have had 17 wins, but he still had 12 losses, with at 4.76 ERA. If he didn't play for the best team in baseball this season, he wouldn't have a winning record.

Another guy I can't figure out is Schilling. The rumor is that he was near a deal with Boston as of last night, but him essentially saying goodbye to his teamates and filing for free agency must have been a negotiating tactic. He'd be stupid to go anywhere else. At this point he's no better than 4-5 place starter.
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

heh, to be honest, I think I've always been biased towards Wakefield since he reminds me of a favorite uncle, for some reason :XD

as for Schill, looks like he's signed a one year deal...I think you're right about him, he's definitely not the pitcher he used to be. The trouble this season was his inconsistency, imho. He pitched some great games, and some horrific games...unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where I don't entirely trust him to be able to get the win when he's on the mound, which is a troubling way to feel about a starter. But apparently he's going to be working on his conditioning during the off season, and hopefully his control and alternative pitches as well. The good thing is, he's a smart pitcher, so he has recognized the fact that he can't just rely on his fastball anymore.
 

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
2,840
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

I can see that this thread gets a lot of attention.... jeez...

Anyways here are my predictions for the following yr.(not that anyone will ever see this)

A.L. East: Red Sox
A.L. Central: Indians
A.L. West: Angels
W.C.(wildcard): Yankees

N.L. East: Mets
N.L. central: Cubs
N.L. West: Rockies
W.C.: Phillies

Playoffs: ALCS: Yankees over Indians
NLCS: Cubs over Mets
World Series: Yankees over Cubs
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

I can see that this thread gets a lot of attention.... jeez...

Anyways here are my predictions for the following yr.(not that anyone will ever see this)

A.L. East: Red Sox
A.L. Central: Indians
A.L. West: Angels
W.C.(wildcard): Yankees

N.L. East: Mets
N.L. central: Cubs
N.L. West: Rockies
W.C.: Phillies

Playoffs: ALCS: Yankees over Indians
NLCS: Cubs over Mets
World Series: Yankees over Cubs
I see your predictions as sort of being somewhat cookie-cutter, aside from a few things. The Indians are not considered the favorite in the AL Central, so I applaud you for being bold there. I can't see them beating the Tigers out honestly...that lineup should be illegal :blink

I think since the Angel's rotation is banged up, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mariners beat them out.

I think predicting the NL Central is pretty damn impossible...6 teams that are in large part not much better than eachother IMO. Cubs and Brewers are probably the best teams, but not by much.

The Rockies are damn good, but I think the Diamonbacks are the best team. They added Dan Haren to their rotation...they have TWO Aces...Haren and Webb.

I don't know if I see the AL WildCard coming out of the East this year...the Tigers and the Indians are TOO good looking.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

SWEEEEEEEET! Baseball has started again. Being a Tigers fan sure has been great recently, and I hope they don't disappoint (they started the season with a loss to Kansas freaking City). As for the other team I cheer for, the Reds, maybe they'll surprise me, but I expect nothing from them.

I guess I too shall make some predictions:

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Seattle
AL Wild Card: Cleveland

NL East: New York (Mets)
NL Central: Milwaukee
NL West: Arizona
NL Wild Card: Chicago

I'm taking a risk in saying two NL Central teams will make the playoffs because generally that division is awful as of late. As for the World Series predictions:

Detroit vs. New York (Mets)
WSC: Detroit (what can I say I'm a homer)
 

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
2,840
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

well first let me say I'm a life long Yankess fan so I hope that clears some things up...

A.l. Central:The tigers have an insane offense that should score 1000 runs... but the experts have been saying that about the Yankees for the last 6 years but it doesn't mean it will come true. It all comes down to pitching and the tigers bullpen stinks.

A.L. West: Honestly the mariners should have a better team then the angels.. but I just trust Mike Scioscia more then McLaren to get then through an entire year. Scoscia is just an old school manager that gets his team to win games.

As for the National league... I don't follow it that closely as the A.L. so I just picked teams.. The Mets with their offense and Santana ( Pedro went down tonight) should win the division pretty easily. Everyone else is just a guess...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

( Pedro went down tonight)
What else is new? The guy's tendons are like baked rubber bands. He was such a dominant pitcher too.

EDIT: I'll also admit that I'm an Orioles fan...so not much hope for my team. We haven't had a winning season since 1997 -_-;. We're rebuilding, but I'm not a fair-weather fan...I root for my team regardless! :rant
 
Last edited:
Top