Summer The Baseball Thread

Binky

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
132
Reaction score
147
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Re: Baseball Topic

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Seattle
AL Wild Card: New York (Yankees)

NL East: New York (Mets)
NL Central: Chicago (Cubs)
NL West: Arizona
NL Wild Card: Phillies

WS: Cubs (Because no one else will make this "prediction" :P)

And to resurrect the knuckleball thing even though it's been dormant for about six months, whatever happened to the "hard knuckler" ala Hoyt Wilhem, I gather it was thrown at low-end slider type velocity.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Not a good start to the season for my Tigers (0-2). Not to mention that just got shut out and only had three hits. Where is the best lineup in baseball I have been hearing about. Oh well, I guess it's too early to judge.

And as has been said no surprise on Pedro getting hurt. Apparently he's out 4-6 weeks.
 

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
2,840
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

The Tigers will score their runs... but good pitching will always negate a good/great lineup and thats what they ran into. Kansas City starters pitched great... I wonder when the last time Kansas City and great pitching were used in the same sentence.

You knew Pedro was going to miss some starts at some point this season. Better to miss them in April then in September I guess.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

The Tigers will score their runs... but good pitching will always negate a good/great lineup and thats what they ran into. Kansas City starters pitched great... I wonder when the last time Kansas City and great pitching were used in the same sentence.

You knew Pedro was going to miss some starts at some point this season. Better to miss them in April then in September I guess.
I would agree to that with a younger guy, but not with Pedro. Older guys recover slower and are definitely more prone to re-occurrences.

And the Royals haven't won since 1985...and haven't even been worth mentioning since George Brett retired in all honesty.
 

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
2,840
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

So Barry Bonds is still out there to be had... anyone want him on your team?

I wouldn't want him on my team because ultimately he'll be a huge headache but the guy can still hit. An American league team with a need of a DH would be most beneficial.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

So Barry Bonds is still out there to be had... anyone want him on your team?

I wouldn't want him on my team because ultimately he'll be a huge headache but the guy can still hit. An American league team with a need of a DH would be most beneficial.
Absolutely no way...and it would have nothing to do with the controversy. Let's face it, the dude has been singled out...and it's only because he's the best player of this era, and he's a complete and total ***hole.

He's a cancer in the clubhouse, and Jeff Kent will be my hero forever for punching him the grill.
 

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
2,840
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

It's amazing what a World Series title will do... Red Sox fans actually cheering Bill Buckner as he threw out the first pitch. A couple of years ago they would of stoned him to death with a bunch of empty beer bottles.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

It's amazing what a World Series title will do... Red Sox fans actually cheering Bill Buckner as he threw out the first pitch. A couple of years ago they would of stoned him to death with a bunch of empty beer bottles.
Well, that just goes to show you that they're fickle and hypocritical.

Anyways, my O's have one six straight. This is a dilemma, as we're in a rebuilding year, so I don't want to get too excited about them. They're doing EVERYTHING right though. Coming from behind, keeping leads, timely hitting, and good pitching from the starters AND bullpen. It's pretty shocking, since the consensus is that the Rays would eclipse us for the first time ever this season. We split with them in the opening series, but had one game rained-out. Then we proceeded to sweep the Mariners in a 4-game series. And now we just bludgeoned the Rangers 8-1 yesterday. Nice revenge for them dropping 30 on us last season in a single game -_-;
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Sweet merciful Jebus, my Tigers have finally won a game. Even better it came against the Red Sox a pretty good team. Now we only need 6 more in a row to get to .500. Here's to hoping they can keep the bats going.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

Sweet merciful Jebus, my Tigers have finally won a game. Even better it came against the Red Sox a pretty good team. Now we only need 6 more in a row to get to .500. Here's to hoping they can keep the bats going.
I'd like to say that it's early in the season and all...but something just doesn't seem right with them.

So much for scoring 1000 runs this season? :eyeroll
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Baseball Topic

I'm really encouraged by how my Cubs have been doing so far in April. I've never seen them have a better start... or at least, if I did, it hasn't been in a long while. They haven't been swept in any series, and they've only been routed 3 times so far. They're winning like 3 of every 5 games, they're 10-6 right now, and looking good with only one significant injury so far (Soriano, who only has a knee sprain). They're still a little inconsistent, but not as much as they have been in past years. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

So my Orioles are 10-7 now after clobbering the Yankess 8-2 Friday, and shutting them out 6-0, and we'll go for the sweep tomorrow. We're only a half game back from Boston.

This pace probably won't last much longer, but it's nice to see that we may be heading in the right direction for the first time in a decade. Oh well.
 

admirenkiwi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
463
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

iuno bout baseball teams but if your bored, go watch major :D
its baseball if you hadnt already yet.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

iuno bout baseball teams but if your bored, go watch major :D
its baseball if you hadnt already yet.
We're talking about REAL baseball, not anime mds. Thanks for the suggestion though.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

Well, we're about a month into the season and, for me at least, the bad news is Detroit is 11-15 and currently in last place in the American League Central. The good news is the rest of the division hasn't done so hot seeing as the Tigers are only 4 games back. The way Detroit started I find this to be very good news.

Also, the Cubs are apparently doing pretty good. I honestly didn't expect that, but I guess the experts were right. The surprises at the one month in for me though are the Marlins, Orioles, and Rays. Florida, with a the lowest payroll in the league (if I remember correctly several players around the league are getting payed more than the entire Florida payroll), in first place in the NL East. Also Baltimore and Tampa Bay being tied with Boston for first place in the AL East is a surprise as well. I hope one of them can pull off winning the division because I am tired of Yankees-Sox.

Go Tigers!
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

Well, we're about a month into the season and, for me at least, the bad news is Detroit is 11-15 and currently in last place in the American League Central. The good news is the rest of the division hasn't done so hot seeing as the Tigers are only 4 games back. The way Detroit started I find this to be very good news.

Also, the Cubs are apparently doing pretty good. I honestly didn't expect that, but I guess the experts were right. The surprises at the one month in for me though are the Marlins, Orioles, and Rays. Florida, with a the lowest payroll in the league (if I remember correctly several players around the league are getting payed more than the entire Florida payroll), in first place in the NL East. Also Baltimore and Tampa Bay being tied with Boston for first place in the AL East is a surprise as well. I hope one of them can pull off winning the division because I am tired of Yankees-Sox.

Go Tigers!
Yeah, sorry to you guys in Detroit. Your manager swaps your 1st basemen and your 3rd basement without giving an explanation. Verlander's velocity is way down. Things look pretty shitty for you guys...but really, your whole division seemed to take a step back, aside from the Royals and MAYBE the White Sox.

The Orioles are a pleasant surprise, but we still haven't faced the Red Sox or Angels yet (Angels are probably the best team in the AL, IMO), so I'm not getting too excited to be honest.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

xi0 said:
your whole division seemed to take a step back, aside from the Royals and MAYBE the White Sox.
Not only the AL Central, but the AL as whole doesn't really have standout team at the moment. Not like the Diamondbacks in the NL. Getting Granderson healthy, though, has really helped the Tigers out (he homered today in a win against the Yankees). I have some faith they'll get it together and make the playoffs, but a part of me says this is the Tigers (a team that has spent most of my lifetime of which I can remember in last place). Oh well, still a lot of games left (100+).

On another note, Griffey Jr. has 597 home runs. At 38, I hope he has enough seasons in him to get to 700 (25-30 home runs per season in the next 4 seasons, if he plays that long, should get him there. With all the injuries he has had since coming to Cincinnati, I think it would be nice for him.

Also, A-rod is on the 15 game DL, one of the few Yankees I like :darn.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Baseball Topic

Not only the AL Central, but the AL as whole doesn't really have standout team at the moment. Not like the Diamondbacks in the NL. Getting Granderson healthy, though, has really helped the Tigers out (he homered today in a win against the Yankees). I have some faith they'll get it together and make the playoffs, but a part of me says this is the Tigers (a team that has spent most of my lifetime of which I can remember in last place). Oh well, still a lot of games left (100+).

On another note, Griffey Jr. has 597 home runs. At 38, I hope he has enough seasons in him to get to 700 (25-30 home runs per season in the next 4 seasons, if he plays that long, should get him there. With all the injuries he has had since coming to Cincinnati, I think it would be nice for him.

Also, A-rod is on the 15 game DL, one of the few Yankees I like :darn.
Weird...only a few Yankees fans like him :darn

And Junior might reach that plateau IF he stays healthy. He's been doing alright these past couple of seasons playing in a majority of the games, but man, he's missed sooo many games over his career. He'd be challenging Bonds right now if he wasn't hurt all of the time.

EDIT: As a Tigers fan, you should at least be thankful you're not in the AL East anymore...
 

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
2,840
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

And Junior might reach that plateau IF he stays healthy. He's been doing alright these past couple of seasons playing in a majority of the games, but man, he's missed sooo many games over his career. He'd be challenging Bonds right now if he wasn't hurt all of the time.
Griffey wouldn't be challenging Bonds... he would of passed him right now if he managed to stay healthy. His body just broke on him... he had so much natural talent that it was scary. It's kinda sad that some of these athletes have so much talent but in the end their bodies just let them down.

Another guy that was insanely talented was Albert Belle... I believe he had a degenerative hip problem. He was putting up monstrous number before his body fell apart.

On a more important note...

My Yankees are falling apart... Arod, Posada and now Phil Hughes are on the DL. OK, Phil Hughes isn't that big of a loss... he was pitching terrible.
They look horrendous....They just can't hit. Just look at tonights game against the Tigers. They score two runs in the first forcing Bondermen(?) to throw 30+ pitches... which is great... and then they can't do anything the rest of the game. Bondermen probably got through the next 3 innings before he threw another 30 pitches. I believe they said out of the 28 batters he faced he got 10 of them out on 2 or fewer pitches. Ahh they are driving me nuts!!! Cano can't hit and Giambi is absolutely terrible. Every team plays the shift on him... but does he ever try to hit the ball to left? No, never and he could just bunt for a base hit every at bat... but why do that when you can just hit the ball towards the side of the field where half of the defense is... The Yankees would get more production out of him if they put him in the stands slinging peanuts...
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Baseball Topic

xi0 said:
Weird...only a few Yankees fans like him :darn
Yeah, but I was a fan of those Mariner teams back in the day, when they had A-rod, Griffey, Jay Buhner, and Randy Johnson. I wish they would've gotten a World Series Championship.

vintagemistakes said:
Griffey wouldn't be challenging Bonds... he would of passed him right now if he managed to stay healthy. His body just broke on him... he had so much natural talent that it was scary.
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with over 800 home runs if had never gotten hurt. Also, he was a great fielder at one of the hardest positions to play. I was so excited when he signed with the Reds, I thought he would help them win a World Series. Oh well, I'll cheer for A-rod now to surpass Bonds in home runs.

vintagemistakes said:
My Yankees are falling apart...
It couldn't have come at a better time for me, being a Tigers fan. Although, I hope that series sweep wasn't because the Yankees are falling apart but that the Tigers are getting their stuff together.
 
Top