Games - The Final Fantasy Thread! | Page 60 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The Final Fantasy Thread!

Asako

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Tunisia
The true way to beat sephiroth

BlackTiger

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Finally found this thread.

I think Final Fantasy Tactic is the best. I prefer its gameplay.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting.

Like the setting. Looks sort of like Ivalice and I enjoy that medieval look. Not sure about the gameplay. I feel like they did a pretty good job with FFVII so I'm willing to be a little more optimistic than I was going into that one. I'm a turn based JRPG guy at heart so the flashy action game look doesn't do a lot for me.

Main character seemed a bit interesting. Probably a bit broody for my tastes but it seemed like there was a lot going on there. So hopefully they'll be more complexity than that. Which I'm assuming there will be.

Anyway should be an interesting game when it comes out in like 10 years.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The trailer looks good but outside of the traditional summons it doesn't have that FF feel to it. It's... too bleak maybe? Its a series that constantly deals with whatever end of the world and whatnot but that bleak tone is not what I have in mind when I think FF. Maybe that's not the right way to frame it but for me something about it does not exactly click yet.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
For me the missing thing is a "party". But that's to be expected for a teaser trailer. Not sure what they'll do on that front but I'd be pretty put out if they were to make it more single character focused.

Need to see more, basically. Not ready to jump to any conclusions yet.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
The occidental high fantasy setting is always a turn on for me. Definitely my favorite setting in fiction. A couple of things from that trailer even sightly reminded me of the Witcher 3, although I won't make the mistake of expecting a Final Fantasy game to be similar to that game other than superficially.

I don't like the huge focus on summons that seem to be Ifrit and Shiva, not to mention crystals and chocobos, since that's the thing that they have burned through the most in the saga. I get that it's a recurring theme. I like summons and easter eggs making recurrent appearances in all of the games, but I don't like them being the focus of the plot like they already were in XV.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Summon wise what I find weird is that ifrit is one again being given that much importance. Phoenix also seems like a weird pick. I suppose its not bad but the most important part about this ends up being gameplay. The last FF where I enjoyed summons was FFX. They sucked in XII, weren't exactly fun in XIII and in XV they were too grossly OP. Eidolons as a concept and lore wise are cool but the fact is that in past games they have struggled to include them in the game in a satisfying/fun way...

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Summon wise what I find weird is that ifrit is one again being given that much importance. Phoenix also seems like a weird pick. I suppose its not bad but the most important part about this ends up being gameplay. The last FF where I enjoyed summons was FFX. They sucked in XII, weren't exactly fun in XIII and in XV they were too grossly OP. Eidolons as a concept and lore wise are cool but the fact is that in past games they have struggled to include them in the game in a satisfying/fun way...
I didn't mind how OP they were in XV if seen from the perspective of how important they were in the plot itself as overpowering deities and how limited their use was (and how utterly badass they were visually. I felt a shiver the first time I summoned Ramuh), but I got enough of that for a single game.

It sadly feels from the trailer that they're repeating that trend, but at least the setting and the rest look better than XV.

The combat looks a bit Kingdom Heartsy, but as long as dodging is not as easy as it was in XV, it looks fun.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I didn't mind how OP they were in XV if seen from the perspective of how important they were in the plot itself as overpowering deities and how limited their use was (and how utterly badass they were visually. I felt a shiver the first time I summoned Ramuh), but I got enough of that for a single game.

It sadly feels from the trailer that they're repeating that trend, but at least the setting and the rest look better than XV.

The combat looks a bit Kingdom Heartsy, but as long as dodging is not as easy as it was in XV, it looks fun.
Plotwise I have no complaints regarding their power. I could write a thesis on the sheer amount of things that were wrong with the FFXV plot but the summons being that OP wouldn't be there. The problem is that summons MUST be fun and useful in the game and they haven't really achieved that since FFX... They can't have summons be in the game and just be utter garbage (ffxii) or fun murderingly OP (FFXV).

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like things to be a bit more grounded, honestly. The teleporting action-y stuff is flashy but it doesn't do much for me. Nor do the Kaijuu monsters. But I think all of those things can be made to work if the story and characters are enjoyable.

Which has been the problem for me going back quite a ways. Without substance, style is pretty much worthless to me.

The main focus of the teaser obviously was that main character looking brooding and the Joshua kid turned flaming bird and not much else. Aside from some snippets of combat that look very button mashy. But Final Fantasy VII Remake looked like that and turned out to be much better. So hopefully this will too.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I like things to be a bit more grounded, honestly. The teleporting action-y stuff is flashy but it doesn't do much for me. Nor do the Kaijuu monsters. But I think all of those things can be made to work of the story and characters are enjoyable.

Which has been the problem for me going back quite a ways. Without substance, style is pretty much worthless to me.

The main focus of the teaser obviously was that main character looking brooding and the Joshua kid turned flaming bird and not much else. Aside from some snippets of combat that look very button mashy. But Final Fantasy VII Remake looked like that and turned out to be much better than that. So hopefully this will too.
Grounded sounds like something that is mutually exclusive with a final fantasy game :p. I disliked the relentless bottom mashing from FFXV but I am more than willing to snort a FF story that is good along with having the classical ff stuff like eidolons, crystals, needlessly impractical weapons, at least 1 non human playable character....

Looking back, its fairly clear that FF suffer from utterly unlikeable casts. I can't really make up my mind of which FFXV cast member I hate the most (you have sasuke, "I've come up with a new recipe", the guy who wore a mullet unironically and fucking prompto) in ffxiii only two members were likeable (lightining and fang) while the rest were crimes... And the entirety of the FFXII cast was just meh at best (balthier at times was almost ok though).

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
When I say "a bit more grounded" I'm talking like FF Tactics or even Final Fantasy VII. You can do magic and fantasy without quite that much power fantasy in there.

And, yeah, they need to do better on the character front. Which hopefully remaking FFVII has reminded them where the bar is for that. They don't need to be the best ones ever. They just need to be good enough that we like them, care about them, and are entertained by them. And the main character in the trailer seems like a decent starting piece. Hopefully, he's not all brooding all the time. Surround him with a supporting cast that isn't boy band tropes in matching leather pants and you can make something of that.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
When I say "a bit more grounded" I'm talking like FF Tactics or even Final Fantasy VII. You can do magic and fantasy without quite that much power fantasy in there.

And, yeah, they need to do better on the character front. Which hopefully remaking FFVII has reminded them where the bar is for that. They don't need to be the best ones ever. They just need to be good enough that we like them, care about them, and are entertained by them. And the main character in the trailer seems like a decent starting piece. Hopefully, he's not all brooding all the time. Surround him with a supporting cast that isn't boy band tropes in matching leather pants and you can make something of that.
Ah, ok fair enough. Unfortunately my FF knowledge is limited to the main games (specifically, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, lightning returns, and 15).

*random snow flashback* Yep, since I haven't played ffviir yet the bar is low on my end at least. But still higher than sasuke and mullet man....

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Twitter is eating up Yuffie in FF7R graphics, can’t blame them

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Skillup got an extensive preview of what this Final Fantasy XVI is and isn't.

Interesting. Definitely not a game for me sadly. I'm not a fan of Devil May Cry. Never was. The step away from traditional combat systems and party based gameplay in favor of combo based action combat is more or less a deal breaker for me. I do not like or enjoy that style of game so this is just not a game I can imagine myself wanting to play.

That said, it seems like Square is following a real vision here and it seems like for the players this game is meant to appeal too it might be something pretty good.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Yoshi-P confirmed the PC version won't be ready after the 6 months of PS5 exclusivity ends either. So probably closer to at least year wait to play it on PC and that's not factoring in whether Epic will throw money at them again like they did for FF7 Remake, Stranger of Paradise, Kingdom Hearts, etc. KH still hasn't released anywhere else despite it being 2 years since it was released on PC.

At least he was honest about it though, can't say the same about the games his coworkers produce...

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pretty impressed and pleased with how transparent they're being about everything. Like I said before, this is not a game for me. If anything it's everything I don't want out of a Final Fantasy game (Action/non-PC/no party control) but I really like that they are being very clear and transparent about what this is.

They aren't getting my hopes up, unnecessarily. It's basically "We've made a Final Fantasy themed Ninja Gaiden game." So the people who are into that can get excited. People like me who aren't can just move on and ignore it. I wish more companies would be this open about what they're doing with a game.(Lookin' at you Dragon Age)

As a side note, what a world we live in. Yakuza is a turned based party RPG. Final Fantasy is a combo based action brawler.:amuse
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In terms of this direction. I don't really believe in it but it's something they've been edging closer and closer to it for a while. Might as well get it over with and let this strategy succeed or fail. Maybe they're right. And this will bring in the audience that they think it will.

I think it's a mistake. Especially given the popularity of the likes of Dragon Quest, Persona, and now Yakuza. Final Fantasy Remake as well, which while still very action-y was nowhere near as much as this is. To go full action is to risk getting lost among all the many third person action games out there. But I can't know if that's true or not and I'm sure there are people out there that will love this. So I wish them luck in their endeavors.