Archived The Hang Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
1,585
Reaction score
31
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
Very cute, GK!
But I think I would also have given everything to go to the internet.
In fact, I'm an internet addict. And I really like forums. :)

Side note: If anyones having any problems downloading with torrents, check to see if your routers ports are open for w/e torrent program ur using. If you need help doing this I recommend www.portforward.com .
Crimson: Thanks for this, :kukuku. Actually now I know how to do it. I really had some problems quite a while back because I have a router and I couldn't download from irc. With irc being a main source for fast downloading of mangas I was very desperate.
(I "forced" my bf to download for me! ;))
 

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
10,811
Reaction score
150
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Miso said:
(I "forced" my bf to download for me! ;))
Hehe, 'poor' him XD

Gold Knight said:
But maybe this story will make you feel better - back in October, the first week I was moderated at Naruto Forums, I went thru exactly the same thing - my computer had to be repaired, and I was so nervous that they'd lose faith in me being any help.  So I made sure to run to the library (about eight blocks away) every day to get on the computer in order to help out for two hours - which was how long I could spend on the computer there.  Did it for a week.

In the end, I found out that I shouldn't have worried much at all - the mod team was sometimes inactive for months and didn't get demoted, and if I had done nothing for a week, they wouldn't have said anything.  Oh well, at least I still got some exercise.
Hehe, i tried to be online as much as i could the first week, because i might be thrown back where i cam from XD - but it turned out i was even more active the weeks to follow ( not counting this last one ) - addicted and proud of it :D
 

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
2,870
Reaction score
60
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Ah....mods sharing their stories.

*tries to jump queue and up the stage she goes*
Ahem.........

Let me think...I was modded back in December 2005 sometime after the breakdown of NF. We were having this great convo on buying an island in the World with DZ, nana and others. Somehow, I got my own Ask Mes thread and GK offered me this job. Gladly I accepted it. First week was a tough one. I couldn't merge, move and so on. That took me a few days before finally setting down and now, I'm just relaxing around, posting, making spoilers thread, enjoy myself and keep this place organized. :occa
 

Crimson

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
Miso said:
Very cute, GK!
But I think I would also have given everything to go to the internet.
In fact, I'm an internet addict. And I really like forums. :)

Crimson: Thanks for this, :kukuku. Actually now I know how to do it. I really had some problems quite a while back because I have a router and I couldn't download from irc. With irc being a main source for fast downloading of mangas I was very desperate.
(I "forced" my bf to download for me! ;))
hahaha, thats great. good to see you found my information helpful. I think ive helped a good 5 people thus far with their router problems. Its especially amusing to me because Ive only had a router for a whole 2 months now. I was running 56k for a good 4 years, *sigh* yet somehow I downloaded 500 Gigs worth of anime in that time, lol.
*I have to thank the academy...actually no, all my thanks goes to my poor computer which NEVER got any rest. EVER. Thank You.*

On a related note: for some reason I cant get addicted to the internet. Its like Im immune to addictions. Maybe its my immaterialistic nature? who knows. Its just nice to be immune to something, lol.

EDIT: and for those of you wondering how it is I type such long responses to subjects without much time at my computer (such as the enviroment subject which was just recently moved from this thread for a VERY good reason, tx GK btw), I usually just get on my computer every now and then and check for interesting posts, type my response (usually rather fast, about 5 minutes or so, unless I have about 3 or 4 different people to respond to, then it becomes an essay, lol), and go off to do something else.
 

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,827
Reaction score
282
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
Mod stories? My pleasure. :)

There was a day in January, when I was talking to my man GK, and I don't know how he did it, but before I knew it, I had agreed to try to lively up the OP section of MH, even though I was visiting too many forums already.
After a couple of days of posting, he came on msn again and said "hey, wanna mod the section? ;D?" Of course, I accepted heartily.
But there was something wrong with the mod usergroup, so I didn't get to do everything I was supposed to, so after a little fiddling he just said "ah, screw it, I'll just make you smod instead."





..And then, to test me, he made me battle a GIANT DRAGON OF DOOM AND DEATH
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Tip: Don't give the admins any ideas. *has a pet killer Red Dragon that he tamed in his heyday*
 

shinraiden

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
The biggest complication I think for Mod's is maintaining a proper attitude across their boards and other boards. On the forums I run as part of my work, I'm the full uber-admin with rights to arbitrarily slap down full serverhost-level IP netblock bans, and report them to my boss later if I feel like it. Along with that I can as the admin tell people to officially ST*U and pretty much whatever. The whole absolute power thing.

But when I go to other forums I frequent such as this one where I'm not even a VIP or even a single forum co-mod, I have to remind myself that things work differently. Even though I have a NF forums ID of 3028 and a MH id of 29, that still doesn't mean a whole lot, and there's some forums that I wander through occasionally where I'm a total newbie stranger, and most certainly not the BofH uberadmin.

Of course though, the time I went admin...

The boss had given me the server root access to setup some email accounts and upload some data, but hadn't given me the forums access. So one morning I got an IM from a fellow troll saying we'd just gotten hax0r'd. So I could get at the server, but not at the forums. I made a temp little maintanence page and pushed it up, then turned around and pinged my boss like mad until he woke up and gave me forums admin access too. Now he stays away from the forums and leaves it all up to me.

For other admins though, you really ought to check out MySQL's browser and admin tools. They're awesome, even if you still have to write the SQL to actually edit the fields.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Absolute power though, it eats you up faster than a giant dragon of doom and death. ^^

Yeah, moderators do have to keep mindful that they have to set an example for everybody else, that's why I'm particularly proud of our staff - they all do a very good job of that. The forum wouldn't have grown at the pace it did without their help. And it wouldn't have been as nice without all the friendly members we have, either.

I've seen MySQL, it does have some nice features. At the moment I'm so much more familiar with SMF and Vbulletin though that switching to anything else would probably take some doing for me...
 

The Boff

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
3,988
Reaction score
54
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Hehey.. just got myself a computer for an hour so now ill fix the swedish trans for naruto...

see you all next week!
 

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
1,585
Reaction score
31
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
A swedish trans - I'm looking forward it. (Want to know how this language looks written...:))
 

shinraiden

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gold Knight said:
Absolute power though, it eats you up faster than a giant dragon of doom and death. ^^

Yeah, moderators do have to keep mindful that they have to set an example for everybody else, that's why I'm particularly proud of our staff - they all do a very good job of that. The forum wouldn't have grown at the pace it did without their help. And it wouldn't have been as nice without all the friendly members we have, either.

I've seen MySQL, it does have some nice features. At the moment I'm so much more familiar with SMF and Vbulletin though that switching to anything else would probably take some doing for me...
Um, MySQL is the database backend for lots of different types of forums. Using the MySQL admin tools allows you to directly dump and edit the database, as well as backup and restore to a remote location, often far more effectively than you could with whatever tools are built into the forums admin packages. Especially if you want to set up a functional dev mirror to test changes and other stuff to underlying management code.
 

The Boff

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
3,988
Reaction score
54
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Miso said:
A swedish trans - I'm looking forward it. (Want to know how this language looks written...:))
here you go: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=2184.0

im guessing it looks like just a bunch of jibberish to you though.
best description ever of the swedish language:
"it sounds like german spoken from underwater" an old friend told me that one.... :p
 

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
1,585
Reaction score
31
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
Thanks boffenjl.

shinraiden said:
Um, MySQL is the database backend for lots of different types of forums. Using the MySQL admin tools allows you to directly dump and edit the database, as well as backup and restore to a remote location, often far more effectively than you could with whatever tools are built into the forums admin packages. Especially if you want to set up a functional dev mirror to test changes and other stuff to underlying management code.
Wow - MySQL seems to be useful. :blink
Good that I don't have to do with something like that - leave it to njt or d3vlabs, our technicians.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
shinraiden said:
Um, MySQL is the database backend for lots of different types of forums. Using the MySQL admin tools allows you to directly dump and edit the database, as well as backup and restore to a remote location, often far more effectively than you could with whatever tools are built into the forums admin packages. Especially if you want to set up a functional dev mirror to test changes and other stuff to underlying management code.
Guess I must have been thinking of something else. At the moment I know I'm content with the adminCP but as Miso said, I'm not especially the tech. admin anyway.
 

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
3,303
Reaction score
29
Gender
Hidden
Country
Isle of Man
Everybody ready to have one less hour of sleep tonight?
I know I'm not. Even though I only have to get up at 12 tomorrow, I like turning it backwards better.
Who does that anyway? Let's exclude Europe (we all do it anyway, that's for sure).
 

Crimson

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
Predator_U said:
Everybody ready to have one less hour of sleep tonight?
I know I'm not. Even though I only have to get up at 12 tomorrow, I like turning it backwards better.
Who does that anyway? Let's exclude Europe (we all do it anyway, that's for sure).
Isnt that next month? :blink Last I remember the Daylight savings changes occur every April , and Normal times are changed back in October.
 

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
1,585
Reaction score
31
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
Man...that bugs me off...I hate the Daylight savings changes..
and Crimson - it's today/tomorrow.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Is it different for different parts of the world?

In America we lose this hour on April 2. -_-
 

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
1,585
Reaction score
31
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
April 2nd? O RLY?

Seems that it really depends on the country you live in.
 

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
3,303
Reaction score
29
Gender
Hidden
Country
Isle of Man
Miso said:
April 2nd? O RLY?

Seems that it really depends on the country you live in.
It's rather continent. All the Europe switches now. America is doing it a week later. I really don't know why government's keeping such a rudimentary practice. I mean, it's been a century already since we do this. Also the electricity for light is not and issue anymore. The share lightning takes in electricity distribution charts becomes smaller every year. There's no use of it anymore.

Here's an idea! Let's all become politicians of our countries, enter the parlaments and take the Daylight Saving concepts away. We'll save a lot of nerve that way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top