The HisshouBuraiKen thread | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The HisshouBuraiKen thread

kyubisharingan

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Hey hissho, i wanna if u could lend me a few tips....umm, my listening comprehension isnt so great with japanese....they talk so fast XD, do u have any tips on how u improved ur listening comprehension? hehe, im a solo learning, but making some pretty good progress

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
HA-G-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

Superbowl party at my place!
Just so you know, I was excited about the Giants winning that game too. Just couldn't have ended any better. I can't really cheer too much in my thread because so many Patriots fans are in the Meet the Mods forum but I guess I can cheer all I want here huh?

So tell me, did ya ever really expect the Giants to get that far this year? Has your opinion changed at all on any of the players on the team, and the coach? I have to admit, I was SO skeptical when Coughlin said he had changed and people were saying he was more gentle and friendly but well, can't argue with the results this year.

And Eli winning the Super Bowl after his older brother did ... that's just wild, man.

Do you ever get tired of watching the Eli to Tyree catch, too? Do you have a name for that play? I think they're still trying to figure out a name for that play...

But anybody but Brady, anybody. :D

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
kyubisharingan - If you're just starting out, don't jump into complex stuff like news, variety shows and TV dramas. Start out with easier stuff like kids shows, and work your way up. It all comes with practice, but if you can somehow get a transcription of what you're listening to (maybe podcasts? simple songs?) it'll be a tremendous help.

GK - You may cheer here all the way until November :D I just got a nice new laptop with a 17" WUXGA screen (yeah dell warranty!) and have been meaning to watch the whole game again in its entirety.

Wikipedia lists the following names that have been used:
* "David and Eliath"
* "Double Miracle"
* "Catch 42"
* "The Play"
* "The Great Escape"
* "Flee to Tyree"
* "Slip and Grip"
* "Hail Manning"
* "The Helmet Catch"
* "The Desert Miracle"

I'm partial to "Hail Manning" and "Flee to Tyree" myself :turtle

One of the biggest shocks of the postseason has been seeing Coughlin not looking exasperated XD I never gave them much of a shot, so each week it was just like, "Wow, awesome, I get to see them play one more time." Also, I broke something when Tynnes missed that second FG against the Packers :P

But mainly I would say that the last 4 games showed what the Giants were really capable of. It sounds cliche, but it really felt like, starting with Week 17, you were watching Eli transform. Something about that first game against the Pats changed him. If they can beef up the secondary and keep the front four healthy, their D will be unstoppable. Watching Brady get creamed never got old, and seeing Peyton cheering was strangely epic.

Oh, after it was all over, I stumbled outside (fairly drunk) and saw my neighbor wearing a giants shirt with a beer in one hand and fireworks in the other. It was an awesome, "Hey, you're a Giants fan! WHOOOOOOOOOWEDIDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT" kinda moment.

Last edited:

jocouslie

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
hey shisshouburaiken i just like to ask you (if you have time, that is) to translate and even scanlate the manga super robot wars original generation. i have the raws on this one and here's the link
http://rapidshare.com/files/97399257/SRWOG.zip.html

thanks for the translations on naruto by the way, they're nice!

Last edited:

fxu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
hey shisshouburaiken i just like to ask you (if you have time, that is) to translate and even scanlate the manga super robot wars original generation. i have the raws on this one i'll post it as soon as i can.

thanks for the translations on naruto by the way, they're nice!
hey HBK I got this anime I want you to translate, this manga, and this whole magazine .. btw, nice work!

HAHAHAHAHAHA XD ....

u rox my sox hbk, i wuv ur transwashions

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi fxu! Also - lol rite

jocouslie - No can do. Ask around in the requests section.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'll probably only cheer until August if that's all right with you. Then I gotta start cheering for my own team again! XD Enjoy your new laptop in the meanwhile. How are you watching the game again BTW?

I've heard "David and Eliath" and "Hail Manning" before but not the others you've listed. Figures there'd be a lot of names. Too bad "The Catch" was already taken, they could always give a sequel to it though. I know Tyree said that he liked "David and Eliath" the most. Ha...

Hopefully it wasn't anything precious you broke when Tynes missed that second FG. Thank goodness for Favre's tendency to throw interceptions in playoffs overtime, eh?

Yeah, I agree with you. Every game in the playoffs it seemed to me as if the Giants were playing like they really wanted to win, too. You compare them with the Buccaneers and Cowboys for example, and it always seemed like the other team had more things on their mind than just winning. Maybe they all felt like they had no chance against the Patriots in the end anyways. I think that's what makes the Giants a real championship team, they always felt like they had a chance and played like it. That was the best Super Bowl I've watched in quite a while.

Awesome on your neighbor being a Giants fan too. XD Guess he'll be invited to all your future NFL-related parties from now on, eh?

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
^^ Not unless he's got the bigger TV. Who's your team, BTW? Titans? Jags? Dolphins? I know that at one point you called the Southeast your home.

As for watching the game again? Bittorrent, my friend. Bittorrent. Oh, and the DVD's out too, supposedly.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Titans. And if they're out of it, Colts, since Peyton Manning's from my college and I've watched him longer than I did the Titans (well, they weren't here when he played in college.) I hate that they're in the same division.

When Peyton's retired though, I won't care about the Colts anymore.

Emily00

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Hisshou, I'm a kind of new japanese student (just finished JPN102 at my college) and I was wondering what you think about Rosetta Stone. I don't like how it uses extremely old pictures and that it doesn't tell you what words mean but when I use it and come across words I don't know I look them up and so far doing that I've memorized a couple new vocabulary words. Do you know of any other good programs or anything else to help? I barely know any kanji yet and I've been going around 2ch and various other japanese websites trying to read some things, as well as "reading" manga with furigana (which has helped my reading of hiragana and katakana tremendously) but still my problem is just understanding stuff. I hope sometime in 2009 maybe I can take JLPT level 4.

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Emily - I can't really speak to the Rosetta Stone's effectiveness, having never used it or even seen it in action. Since you're very early in your studies, reading stuff like 2ch and manga may teach you some new vocab, but I don't think it'll be very helpful in improving your overall reading comprehension as there will be a lot of grammar patterns you won't be able to make sense of.

At this point I think you'd benefit most from reading ahead in your textbook (after you've mastered the stuff you've already studied, of course!) and possibly getting the 201-202 book as well and going through it.

You'll also want to study your radicals (bushu) before you begin trying to learn all the kanji - it will make learning kanji much easier.

Talk to your sensei and see if he/she can give you some suggestions and materials for learning over the summer. Where do you go to college, BTW?

In other news, I have a funny story - Kylara refused to call her bookstore to ask about the latest issue of jump (They know my voice!) so I called on her behalf. Much to my surprise, the clerk answered in Japanese. Since I don't get to speak Japanese regularly nowadays, it took me a couple seconds to get my brain into "Jap-Mode" and start talking to her.

After learning it wouldn't be in until tomorrow and hanging up, I though to myself, "Why the shit WOULDN'T THEY SPEAK JAPANESE WHEN IT'S A GODDAMNED JAPANESE BOOKSTORE."

Me so smart.

win0825

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Hello,I need the latest chapter 397of Naruto now, it is very urgent.I like it very much.The bookshop I always go have't on shell it.The sellor said that it would arrive his shop next week, but now I want to read it, I expect it too long.Could you send me this chapter,I would appreciate you very much.Thank you . you could send it to my e-mail,my emali is:win0825@163.com

Agian,hanks a lot !

janekshi

Reaction score
Country
Poland
HisshouBuraiKen, I got two questions :P

1. What does your nick stand for?

2. What do you think about VIZ translation? Do they do a good job translating Naruto or do you find it totally unprofessional?

Dan Hibiki

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can answer the first question.

It is one of the ultimate techniques of Dan Hibiki from Street Fighter!

HISSHOU BURAIKEN!

:p

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
^ :ossu

From what I've read of the Viz translations, they're pretty crappy. Whether that's the fault of translators or editors is anyone's guess.

d4v1d_su

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
wow, and they sell that ?
I thought they were a pro. since they make money from that. How bad is it ?

animalia

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not know if you are currently willing to translate other series other then the one(s) you are working on now, but if you are I have a request for you. I represent a new group called Fighting Dreamers Edited Mangas we were on a verge of our first release and were fine tuning the translation when we lost contact with our translator. We have two projects currently, the one in need of a translator is Shadow Skill Invincibility Fire Ball. (We plan to do at least the 1st volume.) I do not want to purchase anymore raws for more volumes unless I Either get a good deal on a hard to find tank, or it seems we will be ready to continue with Editing more manga. Please let me know if you are interested in this project.

Here is a quote about Shadow Skill Invincibility Fire Ball from wikipedia
Shadow Skill (シャドウスキル-影技-), is a manga series with anime adaptations, created by Studio Deen and aired on Japanese Television in 1998, and has been released in the United States by ADV Films in 2005. The series is based on the manga by Megumu Okada. A shonen series, it features a lot of combat, especially martial arts.

The main protagonists of Shadow Skill are Elle Ragu, the 59th Sevalle in the kingdom of Kuruda, and Gau Ban, an orphaned boy that Elle takes up as her adopted brother. He is currently a Valle and is improving his training. Gau is so impressed by Elle's fighting skill, and the stories of Kuruda's greatest fighter Scarface, that he is studying Elle's fighting skills so that one day he would become the greatest Sevalle in Kuruda. But before that, they must face demon beasts, spies, and Elle's debts from drinking, and collateral damage from fighting.

Also in Elle and Gau's life is Faury Maya (Folli Maya in the TV series), a Sui Rame talisman sorceress, and Kyou Ryu, a Septia beastcatcher and niece of Iba Stora, the king of Kuruda.
It is a fighting/action manga.

shrimpy

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
why do you so strongly feel stroke order is crucial? doesn't that only matter if you're aiming for the kanken, which no one really needs to take anyway?

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
The reasons are threefold - Mainly, because it really does make a difference. My penmanship is shitty anyways, but using the right stroke order has helped my kana and kanji look better.

Second, it's more "Japanese" - they beat the stroke order into kids' brains pretty hard from what I've been taught (and somehow my first sensei always knew when I fudged on them)

Finally, you may WANT to take the kanken one day, and you'll already be a leg up! :D

godofthesunn

Ghosted
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Your not interested in helping translate ippo by chance are you? the Ippo community needs a good translator