Archived The MangaHelpers Confessional Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
Naomiii, good luck to your mom! I hope she gets the position.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I confess that it has been over a year since my mom graduated college with a major in biology and a minor in math. She still hasn't found a teaching job though.

Finally, a school that she actually even likes has called her and interviewed her for a biology position, but decided to hire someone else. However, they also had a chemistry position open, and told her if she could pass the chemistry teaching certification test by Monday, they would definitely hire her.

:fail

It's been years since she's taken gen chem, gen chem II, and o-chem in college and these tests are NOT easy. I confess that I think it's fucked up how she gets to deal with that much pressure and then if she fails the test (which is very likely, most people probably would in her current situation), she has to deal with some pretty heavy and bitter disappointment.


On the other hand.... If she did pass.... My mom would be a chemistry teacher. ....As if I couldn't admire her more than I already do. My mom. A chemistry teacher. So. Fucking. Awesome. I think this needs to happen for sure. (1) She needs to comfort of having a job (2) She fucking deserves it and would be an awesome teacher (3) She will finally be converted to the best science there is!
Good luck to your mom, hope she gets the position!

---------- Post added July 12, 2012 at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was July 11, 2012 at 09:28 PM ----------

Reading Toriko. I confess I think it's vastly overrated.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I confess midterm is over. Upside: Not a bad midterm, mostly calculational, nothing scary. Downside: I've only been seriously studying for 4 hours before it and so I sorta screwed up the easy ones. :bored

I confess today I realised I do not like hospitals.
At least it's not this.

Math>Physics>Chem>Bio>all other menial sciences :derp
 

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
I confess midterm is over. Upside: Not a bad midterm, mostly calculational, nothing scary. Downside: I've only been seriously studying for 4 hours before it and so I sorta screwed up the easy ones. :bored
But it ended, right? Focus on the fact that you got through, hooray! :confetti

:hug
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
hey, I liked Naruto and One Piece within five chapters.

Of course, the major reason was the humor, but still.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I see.
Honestly speaking, even though it's good, I'm not the biggest supporter of Toriko either, but I thought that judging it by the first 5 chapters(which really weren't all that great) was too harsh.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
To be honest though, many manga I've read usually did well in first five chapters.

And it was Zat who told me to try five chapters. X_x
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
I confess midterm is over. Upside: Not a bad midterm, mostly calculational, nothing scary. Downside: I've only been seriously studying for 4 hours before it and so I sorta screwed up the easy ones. :bored



At least it's not this.

Math>Physics>Chem>Bio>all other menial sciences :derp
I can understand the argument behind Physics>Chemistry (although I do not agree), but Math>Chemistry?! Or even Math>Physics??? Hell naw, girl!! Math's only purpose is to serve science. XD;
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
But you wouldn't have science without math sooooo :cookiestare

Well I'm not one of the those math nerds who saying everything is math, but it's actually true :huh
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pat

kdowns

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
2,887
Reaction score
1,822
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Math> Science. 'Nuff Said
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well math is awfully boring to me anyways, but I can at least be objective and say it seems important :imslow
 
Last edited:

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
That discussion reminded me of Sheldon and Amy's discussion about theoretical physics vs neurobiology. Math was my favorite subject in school, I love math and I agree with Gary that it's the foundation stone of all other sciences but every science is important in its own right, all of them contribute to scientific advancement of human race.
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
No, no, no. You have it backwards. No one would take the time to give a shit about solving any sort of mathematical advances without science. There is no point to math without science.
 

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
Tell 'em, Naomi! Tell 'em EVERYTHING! :arf

I confess I'm going to a party tomorrow with new people, yaaay! :whoo
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
No, no, no. You have it backwards. No one would take the time to give a shit about solving any sort of mathematical advances without science. There is no point to math without science.
If math was there before other sciences, doesn't it mean that some people in history had actually taken the time to create/solve math concepts without taking other sciences into consideration? :cookiehand

IMHO math is more than a tool for physics, chemistry or whatnot. Not only these are all interconnected but also math has all kinds of uses in practice which have nothing to do with other sciences but are nonetheless essential. If you have five children and they want to eat ice-cream which is two dollars, can you afford it with ten dollars in your pocket? This is math.

I use math more than physics or chemistry in daily life. We all do but don't realize it. Without it we would be crippled.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
And even if math found it's true function in the exploration of sciences, science would still be nothing without it so...

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I confess that I still think math is boring. But so is oxygen and water so :imslow
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
If math was there before other sciences, doesn't it mean that some people in history had actually taken the time to create/solve math concepts without taking other sciences into consideration? :cookiehand

IMHO math is more than a tool for physics, chemistry or whatnot. Not only these are all interconnected but also math has all kinds of uses in practice which have nothing to do with other sciences but are nonetheless essential. If you have five children and they want to eat ice-cream which is two dollars, can you afford it with ten dollars in your pocket? This is math.

I use math more than physics or chemistry in daily life. We all do but don't realize it. Without it we would be crippled.
Sure, the applications of math weren't clear when it was first being developed. But think about it. Newton and Leibniz, they invented calculus, but to serve their science. Whenever new discoveries are made, their future significance is rarely foreseen or even the end goal in sight. That's the beauty of science I think. Sure, math was created for the sake of math perhaps at first, but science is its true meaning. :arf

Like you said, it's a tool for science. It has other uses (of course), but serving science is its true meaning.

I am going to stop nerding now... maybe. :arf

And even if math found it's true function in the exploration of sciences, science would still be nothing without it so...

I confess that I still think math is boring. But so is oxygen and water so :imslow
Water? Boring? .......................:arf

YOU CRAZY FOO.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top