The Pazuzu thread

Pazuzu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
173
Reaction score
87
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
bebong said:
You forgot my question T___T...
Bajeezus, I did. I just saw the last post with the questions and went right into it.

To answer you, well...I don't know. I have no idea how long I've been learning it, and I wouldn't use myself as an example to anyone on that end. I started out the basic way, learning words as I picked them up from various sources (yay karate!) then started self-teaching from different places, then moved on to talking with native speakers and demanding that they be ruthless in correcting me. Although, given the nature of the Japanese, that required a lot of pushing. It's only in the last couple of years in college that I got formal education in the language (Japanese is my major), and by then I was already ahead of a majority of the pack. So right now I pretty much focus on learning stuff like linguistics and translation theory, since I have the Japanese I need to go through the rest of it.

My advice: Don't do what I did. Learn it formally, in a class setting, not scattered bits all over the place. Really. It'll serve you far better in the long run.

(If you want a rough estimate as to how long I've been learning, I'd say possibly 8 years. But don't hold me to that.)
 

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
1,176
Reaction score
86
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
I first saw the name Pazuzu in some Castlevania game my best friend was playing in GBA. Though you got it from there. Well, it has great sound to it and it's nice that you know the background of the nick, however keep in mind it's the name of a GOD, whatever that might carry along...
Too bad you don't play WoW on Genjuros, that'd give me a chance to bug you all the time about etymology matters ^ ^ Seriously though, it's sad to hear "I refuse to play WoW" the same way friends of mine refuse to watch the Matrix or Lord of the Rings. In my very humble opinion you shouldn't be negative towards what has attracted excesive attention and is extremely popular, just because of that. If you don't like WoW for WoW don't play it, but don't dismiss it because of its fanbase. Not trying to sound hollier than thou, I just had a "conversation" with someone in Audiogalaxy who said Final Fantasy "sucked" because of its fanbase (among other "arguments"). Even if Naruto was the hype in elementary school all around Greece, I'd still be serious about reading it ^ ^
Concerning "For the Horde", the friend of mine who got me started into WoW had an Elf Druid but would say "Lok Tar Ogar" instead of "goodbye", so I thought you were another Orc fan. I myself love the intellectual filth that is the undead ^ ^
Anyway, the fact is that you are a translator and that you like etymology, which means that I like you ^ ^ Hope that we'll get to participate in various conversations in NF and here! :tem
 

Amaethon

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pazuzu! How's Kingdom Hearts II? Did it come yet?
 

Pazuzu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
173
Reaction score
87
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Amaethon said:
Pazuzu! How's Kingdom Hearts II? Did it come yet?
YES! So addicted!
 

Amaethon

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pazuzu! Tell me all about it! ^_____^
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Damn I want that game too... but decided to get Naruto Hero 3, since I played 1-2 already still have to play KH 1 :p... maybe after I finish this rpg :)
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm definitely going to get that game, too. Loved the first game.
 

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
1,176
Reaction score
86
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
So many things to buy (books, anime, manga, videogames) so little time and money... Guess njt is right for wanting to make more and more money (then again that means less and less time...)
Have you found balance in time and money Pazuzu? How do you spend your money anyway?
 

Pazuzu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
173
Reaction score
87
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I love the game. So far, it's divided ito three parts. The first is a separate story, the second is Sora going through the worlds as usual, and the third is him going through the worlds again.

I'm just starting the third part, and the way the second part is ended is...wow. Everything there is just amazing. The whole sequence, the cutscenes, all of it blows me away.

Definitely get it. Um...but wait for the English. Sora, Cloud and Axel all have amazing Japanese voices, but the Disney characters' voices are FAR better in English.

njt said:
Damn I want that game too... but decided to get Naruto Hero 3, since I played 1-2 already still have to play KH 1 :p... maybe after I finish this rpg :)
Eh...NH2 bored me after a while. My interest got rekindled since I've a Japanese guy staying for Christmas who loves fighting games and is fiercely competitive, but it's not really enough to convince me to get NH3 just yet.

But at least it's not as boring as Uzumaki Ninden. THAT was a waste of DVD space.

Anax said:
So many things to buy (books, anime, manga, videogames) so little time and money... Guess njt is right for wanting to make more and more money (then again that means less and less time...)
Have you found balance in time and money Pazuzu? How do you spend your money anyway?
Money? I have money?

Well, I'm a student. And I follow the student stereotype, in that I have zero concept of time management. Money generally goes on feeding myself each week, and sometimes going out with friends. But when I've saved a good bit, I'd splash it out on a bunch of manga from Amazon. This happens about...3 times a year? KH2 is actually the most expensive thing I got this year. I'm lucky my birthday was last month, that funded it nicely.
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Pazuzu said:
Definitely get it. Um...but wait for the English. Sora, Cloud and Axel all have amazing Japanese voices, but the Disney characters' voices are FAR better in English.
Ah, so you can't change it? That sucks- I guess I'll wait since my daughter only knows disney English voices and I don't want to introduce Jp Disney to her just yet- she thinks Movies are all in English and I'll try to keep it that way for as long as I can... :p
 

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
1,176
Reaction score
86
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
I can't believe this Paz! It's exactly the same for me minus the birthday fund :p Plus I don't save money, though because of that I'm rarely entitled to a thing or two. This time I bought 2 books on japanese, Let's learn Hiragana and Let's Learn Katakana to get things moving about this matter ^ ^ Hopefully the videogaming gods will see to it that I receive money out of nowhere to get KH2, FFXII etc. etc. :tem
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
What's your favorite game ever, Pazuzu?
 

Pazuzu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
173
Reaction score
87
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Tetris.

Whenever I'm playing a complex game and I can't get past a certain point, and I'm screaming at and almost smashing the screen, I pick up my GBA and shove on Tetris. Half an hour later, I'm feeling better.

Why go out and do expensive and illegal drugs when you have the magic of Tetris? It has saved many a TV screen in my house.
 

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
1,176
Reaction score
86
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Simple games have their beauty too...

i) Do you like being called Paz instead of Pazuzu? Do you think it's a desecration of the name? If you think it is I'll just edit my previous post :sweat
ii) Have you been abroad? Any places you'd like to live other than Ireland? Any places you liked more than Ireland?
iii) Do you think that some anime categorized as ****** can be viewed for their story? I think Karakuri is a hilarious sexual comedy. Do you?
iv) Saved for last the most important question of them all...
...likecats?
 

Pazuzu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
173
Reaction score
87
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
i) It's fine by me, it's actually what most people use. Some people even call me Paz in person.
ii) Yup, been to a lot of places but I can't say I like anywhere better than here. I'd like to live here all my life, I think.
iii) Dunno, I've never watched ******.
iv) Yarr. Not had much exposure to cats, but I like them. I'm far more of a dog person though, I love dogs.
 

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
1,176
Reaction score
86
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Um, how hardcore must anime be to be called ******? Is, Karakuri ******? Is F3 ******? Well, they are funny if you ask me :D
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Anax said:
Um, how hardcore must anime be to be called ******? Is, Karakuri ******? Is F3 ******? Well, they are funny if you ask me :D
Er
iii) Dunno, I've never watched ******.
So I'm guessing he doesn't know :p.
And I can't answer either, I'm not into it as well :s.
 

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
1,176
Reaction score
86
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Well, if he has watched them and has classified them as "non-******" then that wouldn't go against "iii)" :D Oh, well... I'm not trying to prove that I watch ****** just for the story, just that I dont' pass it by. And Paz doesn't even care about it (even from an artistic point some are very good). And this is Paz's thread. And I'm gonna shut up now.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
How did we get into ******? =P

Tetris is definitely cool, by the way Pazuzu. Good thinking there.

When are you going to graduate?
 

Pazuzu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
173
Reaction score
87
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
2008.

Trying to keep it as far away as possible, I'm fairly terrified of the Real World.
 
Top