Games The RPG thread

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Disgaea 4 is awesome.


I was not a fan of Disgaea 3 so i was a little concerned that it might make the same mistakes. It does not. Disgaea 4 is a vastly better game than Disgaea 3 was. It's classic Disgaea fun with even more crazy depth and none of the annoying technical quirks.

And replacing the awkward classroom thing from the previous game with a kinda world map with buildings was a vast improvement. Now all the experience sharing and mana sharing that was done through those "groups" in Disgaea 3 is done through buildings. Which is a lot easier to understand and play around with.

Some other new features i've run across so far...
  • You can fuse two Prinny's together to form one massively destructive Prinny is hilarious(it works with any monster, actually but i think it's funniest with Prinny's.)
  • You can build and customize your own pirate ship, no idea what it's for but you can do it.
  • You can organize your own netherworld political party.
  • Even more elements to the geoblock puzzles.(blocks that blow up on a timer and when you throw a block beside a same color block it will destroy the block and set off a chain reaction.)
 
Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Persona 4: The Golden website is up!
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm pretty stoked about the news out of tokyo game show today.

There will be a new Suikoden game coming to the PSP(here's a link to the teaser trailer)

It's kinda strange that they are developing it for the PSP considering how close it is to the Vita but then again maybe Konami wants to take not chances. The PSP is a very established console in Japan and if it is a legitimate Suikoden game(and by that i meaning a game with 108 characters a castle and an epic storyline) then it is going to be a must own for any PSP owners who like RPGs.

I find it slightly funny that i, who bought my PSP quite some time ago, seem to be getting my money's worth at the last minute with this console. Virtually every good game i can think of for this system came out within the last year.
 
Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
How does The Old Republic look in your opinion guys? Even if it's an MMO, the rpg part seems to be promising...any thoughts? Or maybe expectations?
 

g0dzax

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
639
Reaction score
195
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Knights of the Old Republic I and II were definetly solid games and excellent RPGs.From the looks of it,The Old Republic seems to maintain the tradition,and if it somewhat retains the RPG system from the first two games then it will definetly be a good game.I can barely wait for it's release.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I loath MMO's with a burning passion but The Old Republic looks decent. Seems like they have put more work into the story and quests than any such game before it. I also love the crew member recruitment aspect, so you can automate some of the more monotonous aspects of MMO playing.

I'm not really a believer that it will be an MMO with a story as good as a single player RPG, because i think the whole MMO format is extremely unfriendly to storytelling, but i think it looks like Bioware is doing it as well as it can be done.

The only thing i'm cringing for in advance is that Bioware has a history of waaaay overpricing DLC. So combining that tenancy with running an MMO could get unpleasant.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I'm not a fan of MMO nor am I a huge fan of Star Wars, so that game is off my radar. I do like how Skyrim is looking and Bioshock Infinite looks like it's gonna be the game to get. There are a lot of great games to look forward to... FFXIII-2 looks promising, quite a few improvements from the first game. So many games, and yet the only ones I'll be getting when they come out are Fifa 12 and Battlefield 3 :(
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Skyrim is looking good indeed...it will really be a complex game...I'm more into the bioware companion/party style rpgs nowadays...

What I really like about all these rpgs is what I really like about reading as well...having a main character, see him evolve through a story and with side characters...that's why I really like this Star Wars: TOR video. It's all about the companions baby:p

I really liked Gothic, and Witcher, which are the sort of lone hero sort of games, but the feeling is a bit diminished a bit by the lack of constant companionship...The Witcher manages to circumvent that a bit...

I'm curious about how will Skyrim do this...what I know is that with Skyrim, the feel of the world and the actual character progress will be the main points for me...besides the story of course
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Anyone getting Dark Souls?

There is a clip of a guy who decided to defeat the first boss using his bare hands even though it took at least an hour to beat.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I probably won't have the money for a little while, but once I do I'm totally getting it ASAP.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
No PC version, so probably not. :(

I'm playing Cursed Crusade. An interesting game, similar to assassins creed in terms of fighting( which needs a bit of work), but has some interesting elements in the game. Not surprising since ATLUS made it. Haven't reached far, but I like it.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Actually a French gaming company developed it but Atlus published it. ^^
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
>_< Ah, I just assumed since the Atlus logo was plastered all over it lol. Still though, it's a great game.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
LOL It's understandable.

Anyone who is interested in bringing the LE of Black Rock Shooter: The Game over to NA, please vote "Yes" in this poll so NISA will bring it over.

---------- Post added October 04, 2011 at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was September 26, 2011 at 09:38 PM ----------

A P4G CM. The new animated scenes looks cool


---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

For anyone who got Dark Souls, kotaku posted some advice
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cracker

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
3,064
Reaction score
2,504
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I started watching the Persona 4 anime, I'm currently at episode 3. So far its good, pretty faithful adaption of the game, possibly too faithful lol If the game is still super fresh in your mind honestly at the moment I see no reason to watch unless you really, really loved it and want a quick second dose.

This series should be much, much better than the previous attempt which turned out to be crap lol
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
If you want to discuss more about the Persona 4 anime, you can post over at the thread. ;)

Oh, the Persona series is getting its own monthly magazine. It will have information about the series, the Persona 4 anime, and the upcoming Persona 4 games (Persona 4: The Golden and Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena) and anime. It will also have the Persona 3 manga and a Persona 4 spin-off manga.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is due out this within a week. Am I the only one here incredibly excited about that?

This looks like it might quite possibly be the greatest RPG of all time. I probably spent 200+ total hours with Oblivion and it various mods. Skyrim looks just as big, just as fun, and visually amazing. Even if it's probably going to be buggy(all elder scrolls games are) it is going to be soooo much fun.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is due out this within a week. Am I the only one here incredibly excited about that?

This looks like it might quite possibly be the greatest RPG of all time. I probably spent 200+ total hours with Oblivion and it various mods. Skyrim looks just as big, just as fun, and visually amazing. Even if it's probably going to be buggy(all elder scrolls games are) it is going to be soooo much fun.
I have trouble with Oblivion. The fact that there are many possibilities & a credible amazing open world is not enough for me. I simply don't like the gameplay in battle. If you take a mage, all you do is hit and run. Gameplay isn't better with a warrior. The price to pay for a game which is so rich is an heavy gameplay. Plus, the story isn't that great either. I will likely try skyrim but not right away. I will wait for game of the year edition or a special offer on steam.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have trouble with Oblivion. The fact that there are many possibilities & a credible amazing open world is not enough for me. I simply don't like the gameplay in battle. If you take a mage, all you do is hit and run. Gameplay isn't better with a warrior. The price to pay for a game which is so rich is an heavy gameplay. Plus, the story isn't that great either. I will likely try skyrim but not right away. I will wait for game of the year edition or a special offer on steam.
It's a bit different this time around.

They have reworked basically all the things I didn't enjoy about Oblivion. For one thing they did away with the stat leveling. Instead going entirely to a upgrade by using skill system and basically removed classes entirely. They also seem to have inserted many of the better immersion elements from games like Gothic/Riven and Fable.(expanded property ownership, npc friendship/affection system, improved npc behavior, and expanded hunting/crafting). It also has a completely reworked quest and npc scripting system.

And best of all they actually have more than 12 voice actors this time, a lot more. It's going to be great to not hear the same dozen people populating the entire world, which is the way fallout was too.

They have also reworked the combat system. Now spells are equipped in a single hand. So you can duel wield them similarly to Bioshock 2. Or use 2 of the same spell to cause a more powerful effect or together. And the dragon shouts which are massive spells which will basically trigger more "epic" spell effects. One of which is in the video below.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top