Games The RPG thread

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hehe fanboys can be pretty annoying when the best game is at stake, I know it myself :lmao
So many youtube discussions... :fail
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I think it probably wouldn't come to that...maybe.:p

Whichever one people think is the best I think it would most likely come out of the few that people just in generally accept as top teir. Final Fantasy's 5-7, Suikoden 2, The Baldur's Gate Series, Dragon Age: Origins, maybe the Witcher 2(wouldn't top my list but I can see where the argument could be made), Fallout 3, KOTOR, and a few others.

In my experience the more, shall we say, "inflamed" conversations about RPG's typically spark up from conversations about more controversial ones, which some gamers think are great and other think suck ballz. Like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Final Fantasy 10-13, Fable 2-3, Diablo 3, stuff like that.
There are mainly two types of RPG:
For JRPG, taken into account the available technology at the time, it's between FF6 & Chrono Trigger for me.
For Occidental RPG, I'll go with Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins.

I don't consider mass effect games to be rpg but Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games I played.

NB: My personal favourite is still FF8 though.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
What about the Witcher series I consider it one of the best but that's my opinion
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There are mainly two types of RPG:
For JRPG, taken into account the available technology at the time, it's between FF6 & Chrono Trigger for me.
For Occidental RPG, I'll go with Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins.

I don't consider mass effect games to be rpg but Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games I played.

NB: My personal favourite is still FF8 though.
I think if you start drawing lines about "types are rpgs" you'll end up with a million categories. So I just toss everything into one pile and pick out what I think is the shiniest.

What about the Witcher series I consider it one of the best but that's my opinion
The argument could certainly be made for the Witcher 2 belonging on the list, Witcher 1.... I think probably not.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I agree but the story from the first makes up for it right? and if not well The Witcher 3 looks good and so does Cyber Punk 2077 so i'm gonna play whatever they release.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree but the story from the first makes up for it right? and if not well The Witcher 3 looks good and so does Cyber Punk 2077 so i'm gonna play whatever they release.
It's just my opinion but I think the story is pretty good in both Witcher games the issue is there is the gameplay, and I don't think that's something that ever really be ignored when your talking about the best rpgs. I think the combat in both games was a bit, rough; and in the first downright awful until the patched it up.

I'm hoping The Witcher 3 takes the next step and finds a combat system that actually makes fighting more....fun.

And maybe they will, they have made some other creative decisions that makes me very optimistic about the series. Namely, the choice to go to a more open world. I think that's going to be a good move. One of the only weaknesses in the Witcher series story side of things for me has been the episodic way it changes chapters. Forcing to the player to go from area to area instead of letting the player do the traveling themselves always felt restrictive to me. I think that will allow it to reach a whole new level of immersive gameplay and allow them to make better use of the crafting aspects of the game.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I'm hoping The Witcher 3 takes the next step and finds a combat system that actually makes fighting more....fun.
Can you elaborate on that?
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
It's just my opinion but I think the story is pretty good in both Witcher games the issue is there is the gameplay, and I don't think that's something that ever really be ignored when your talking about the best rpgs. I think the combat in both games was a bit, rough; and in the first downright awful until the patched it up.

I'm hoping The Witcher 3 takes the next step and finds a combat system that actually makes fighting more....fun.

And maybe they will, they have made some other creative decisions that makes me very optimistic about the series. Namely, the choice to go to a more open world. I think that's going to be a good move. One of the only weaknesses in the Witcher series story side of things for me has been the episodic way it changes chapters. Forcing to the player to go from area to area instead of letting the player do the traveling themselves always felt restrictive to me. I think that will allow it to reach a whole new level of immersive gameplay and allow them to make better use of the crafting aspects of the game.
I thought Witcher 2 had nice gameplay but that's my opinion and I am excited that hunting has been truly integrated into the game I can't to try it.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
It's strange...I don't find the Witcher series all that good...tried 1 and 2 but they never seemed like what people made it out to be. I have the same problem with almost all WRPGs... Dragon Age is the only one I really loved and played more than once. I have no idea why :oh
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Can you elaborate on that?
Sure in the first Witcher game it was basically an adapted point and click type attack system from mmo's but adapted to be an action interface by making it relent on combat styles and timed clicks on enemies. The system was bad enough at least two friends of mine didn't finish the game because they couldn't stand the combat.

The second Witcher game stepped out from under that a little and made fights more dynamic by removing the timed clicks as well as the combat styles but seemed to have some new issues with control of the character in combat. The first issue I had were that swordfights have been simplified to light attack and heavy attack button mashing most of the time and the second being that in order to attack a different direction than one your facing you need to move the character to face that way; which combined with havak physics stagger can often it impossible to smoothly turn and engage a new oppenent. That same stagger effect was what made rolling a lot more effective defense that parrying or with your sword. They helped this issue a little when they greatly turned down the stagger in the Witcher 2 Enhanced conversion, but the basic issue is still there.

----------------------------------------------------------

Some basic improvements I'd like to see them make in The Witcher 3 would be to them reintroduce styles(without the timed button clicks this time), remove the havok stagger for all but enemies big attacks (and maybe arrows), allow attack direction to be dictated by camera facing(at least as a menu option), increase the swordfight difficulty, improve the fight AI (have enemies try to circle behind you), make magic more powerful and more varied, and completely redo the ranged attack system from the ground up.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Whoa! Where did this game come from?:zomg


I looked in the steam store this morning and saw an RPG I'd never even heard of before. A cyberpunk no less. And it looks pretty cool too. Anybody know anything about it?

Because it might just be the thing that pulls me away from playing way to much of Defiance.(Not a great game, but I'm loving it anyhow)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Hmm...I see...but to be fair, the first Witcher is pretty old, so...and there are many instances, where you can't rely on just the point-and-click, as you must combine your gameplay with signs, and that makes it more interesting...I was always of the opinion, that if one of the gameplay elements is not fun, then I will make it so it will be fun for me...this of course if other stuff in the game make this worth...I never really did a perfect and optimized playthrough of any game, except ME2, which is very close to my heart...

Witcher 2...well I agree that combat could've been more diverse, especially after discovering the sign that shielded you:p....but the stagger...well the term implies lack of control, so you shouldn't be able to switch targets smoothly...but it was too powerful at first, with that I agree, since Geralt should be strong enough not to stagger that much, especially from light enemies...

The 3rd witcher will change stuff...for example they will remove the roll and will replace it with a pirouette...you could read this article...I think it's the latest that contains info on Witcher 3...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-only-drm-worst-thing-in-video-game-industry/
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Yeah I can't wait to see the list of powers/abilities he has now since it has more than doubled it should allow people to have their own play style.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
One thing I really like about Projekt RED as a developer is whenever you read an interview with them it's noticeable how aware they are of what they think worked and what they can improve. As long as they keep that up every RPG they make is almost certainly going to be better than the one before it.

----------------------------------------------

By the way I downloaded "Mars War Logs" through steam and I'm pretty impressed so far.

It's hard to really describe in concise terms but I suppose the best summary would be a Gothic/Risen game in the cyberpunk vein; though perhaps with a bit more polished. I guess it will be coming to PSN and Xbox live soon.
 
Last edited:

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I agree with you there I read an interview from them about Witcher 3 and when questioned about the release of cyberpunk 2077 after the trailer release they merely replied that when they felt they had done all they could for it then they would release it.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
FYI to anybody looking to play Mars War Logs. I retract my positive statements about it, it's not a good game.

It starts out pretty good but then in the second act take quite a few big steps backward. Some of the voice acting after that point is truly amazing and not in a good way. I don't know that I've ever heard voice actors wiff on both inflections and word pronunciation before.

It's kind of pity too because I liked what the game was trying to do. Something like Gothic crossed with Shenmue but it seemed like after your character gets out of the beginning area the experience gets shrunk down and all attempts at polish just vanish. You just find yourself repetitively going through a maze of hallways beating people up.
 
Last edited:

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
It seems IGN also dislike the game they called it a Mass Effect wannabe oh well it's a shame I won't be playing it and here's an interview about Cyperpunk 2077 for whoever is interested.
 
Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Man, these fan-made shields for the Dark Soul II art contest are pretty amazing.

---------- Post added June 01, 2013 at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was May 29, 2013 at 09:34 AM ----------

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, which contained both games in HD, is coming to the West next year.


BTW, has anyone tried Soul Sacrifice? I love how it has free DLCs.

---------- Post added June 02, 2013 at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was June 01, 2013 at 12:33 PM ----------

Dark Souls II will be out in March 2014.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
There is a contest for Disgaea D2 if anyone is interested.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
From time to time, i buy a game not because I really want it but mainly because I need something to keep me entertained. Sometimes, among those games, there is an hidden gem.

In fact on each generation of console, I always have at least one jrpg in that category.
For the ps1 era, the game was legend of dragoon
For the ps2 era, the game was suikoden 5.
For the ps3 era, the game is tales of xillia.

All 3 of them are incredibly underrated but given the very poor ps3 era for jrpg, tales of xillia might be the most underrated of them all. I played eternal sonata, ff13, ff13-2, ninokuni ... and for me none of those games are above tales of xillia.

Tales of xillia got an awesome battlesystem that feels like an improvement to the glorius star ocean till the end of time.
The chara design is very good and the characters are great and funnier than in most jrpgs.
The story is excellent as well.
The only drawback is coming from the graphics which are not at ni no kuni level. Still good enough for me though

Tales of xillia might be my top pick among jrpgs on ps3.
 
Last edited:
Top