Games The RPG thread

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Lords of the Fallen looks promising. Might buy the PC version if there's any.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've started playing SAO Hollow Fragment on Vita recently.

As a huge .Hack fan I was pretty curious what they'd do with it and the results aren't great. The actual story seems cool it basically takes the end of the first arc of SAO and changes it so the game continued until floor 100. Along with streching events to bring Sinon, Kirito's sister and a few others into the game. It doesn't 100% make sense but the idea is cool enough that I didn't really care. Sadly there are some big problems.

The translation is quite literally the worst I've ever read. In parts it does not even resemble English. The worst stuff is in this dating minigame where you literally have to guess what answer to give because the text is completely nonsensical. It's engrish at it's finest.

Speaking of the dating game it's gotta be the oddest of it's kind I've ever seen, mainly due to how Kirito is married to Asuna and still doing the dating minigame. So the elements aren't so much "dating sim" as "cheating sim". Which was a pretty weird design choice. It's like they were caught between not wanting to mess with the canon and wanting to open up the relationships in the series a little. And what they ended up doing is pretty bizzare.
 

ArtIristic

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2014
Messages
219
Reaction score
109
Gender
Female
Country
Denmark
New trailer, for Bravely Second, but sadly no subtitles. It arrives in Japan this winter.
It looks even more gorgeous than the last game and it has a wider scope.
Let's hope
that it is the only world we have to travel through.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Isn't the new MC (I forgot her first name) from the moon? The characters will probably go there.

---------- Post added September 01, 2014 at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was August 29, 2014 at 04:27 PM ----------

Persona 5 teaser:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Im glad persona 5 is also coming to ps4.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Well, after the disaster DA2 was, I was really skeptical about DA3. But after watching the 30min gameplay video (available on youtube) I can say that the mechanics alone, are enough to make me get the game.
I'm keeping expectations low. It's really safer that way.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, after the disaster DA2 was, I was really skeptical about DA3. But after watching the 30min gameplay video (available on youtube) I can say that the mechanics alone, are enough to make me get the game.
I'm keeping expectations low. It's really safer that way.
That's about the same way I feel about it.

Except, after watching tons of previews and such, I'd say my expectations aren't low exactly. It's just that I expect it to be an entirely different sort of game than Dragon Age Origins. That game was the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and Kotor and just don't think Inquisition is "that" game. It looks like the strategic view will allow for some of that but at it's core it really looks to me like an action rpg. Sort of like an improved Mass Effect adapted for swords and magic.

Which, while not exactly what I was hoping for, should at least still be pretty enjoyable.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
That's about the same way I feel about it.

Except, after watching tons of previews and such, I'd say my expectations aren't low exactly. It's just that I expect it to be an entirely different sort of game than Dragon Age Origins. That game was the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and Kotor and just don't think Inquisition is "that" game. It looks like the strategic view will allow for some of that but at it's core it really looks to me like an action rpg. Sort of like an improved Mass Effect adapted for swords and magic.

Which, while not exactly what I was hoping for, should at least still be pretty enjoyable.
That's true. I agree completely.
According to my experience with this franchise, the difficulty level is what determines what type of game you are playing.
If you play on nightmare, you HAVE TO pause and use the strategic view which makes it more enjoyable and a little similar to the old RPG gems.
If you play on a lower difficulty level, it's just another action RPG with a good story.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's true. I agree completely.
According to my experience with this franchise, the difficulty level is what determines what type of game you are playing.
If you play on nightmare, you HAVE TO pause and use the strategic view which makes it more enjoyable and a little similar to the old RPG gems.
If you play on a lower difficulty level, it's just another action RPG with a good story.
Hopefully, Inquisition will turn out like that.

I also hope the characters are better than they sound. To be honest, the new companions I've read about so far sound like a bit of a mixed bag. Cassandra and Verric from DA:2 should be good. Iron Bull also sounds cool. The rest I find it hard to get excited about. Hopefully, actually seeing them in action will change my perspective on that. Because if there's one thing I want to this game to do well it's the characters.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Hopefully, Inquisition will turn out like that.

I also hope the characters are better than they sound. To be honest, the new companions I've read about so far sound like a bit of a mixed bag. Cassandra and Verric from DA:2 should be good. Iron Bull also sounds cool. The rest I find it hard to get excited about. Hopefully, actually seeing them in action will change my perspective on that. Because if there's one thing I want to this game to do well it's the characters.
I heard something about the Grey Warden's son and Morrigan. But I'm not sue if that's true. It would be great to see what became of everyone after DA:Origins.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Xillia 2 was great. Of course, it's more like a very elaborated DLC with very few new places and dungeons being exactly the same but this game have two massive arguments:
The still great battle system and a story which is among the best the JRPG world have to offer. That story is served by characters you will care about. I'm 30 years old and I almost cried during this story. Ludger, Elle, Victor, Bisley, ...
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
The first 5 chapters of xillia 2 were painful. But everything after was indeed great, not to mention the battle system has been improved since the old game. Also, a whole lot of grinding for those post-game hungry.

Didn't like the no-voice for Ludger approach to be honest, especially since the "twist" was pretty obvious since the beginning.

---------- Post added September 18, 2014 at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was September 07, 2014 at 03:52 AM ----------

Final Fantasy 15 trailer

Almost there, hehe
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It looks pretty. I have to give it that.

Though I have to admit I'd be a lot more excited if it wasn't a Final Fantasy title. Am I the only one feeling like that? Seeing a Final Fantasy game that's an action RPG is something I think I'm going to struggle with with this one. I wonder if that's just an unreasonable reaction on my part though; because it's definitely a reaction to what the game represents to me, more than the game itself.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Tales of Xesteria TGS trailer:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Disgaea 5 trailer! HYPE!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
They said that Disgaea 5 will have 100 characters at once on the screen and therefore can't be on the old consoles :(

Still not enough for me to buy the PS4 yet :p
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm all in on more Disgaea. That and Persona 5 are huge draws for me on PS4 because they are two games I'm 100% sure I'll love. Same for the 3DS's Bravely Second.

There are tons of RPG's I'm excited about but not sure what they are going to be like when I get my hands on them. So there is something to be said for games from which you know what your going to get. Games where there is the possibility they might be better than you expect but almost no chance they'll be worse. Disgaea 5 is like the ultimate example of that to me.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States

Persona 4: Dancing All Night will be delayed until next year.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------


It shows off the new jobs of Wizard and Tomahawk
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Anyone started Wasteland 2 ? It looks promising from the first 30min I played.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anyone started Wasteland 2 ? It looks promising from the first 30min I played.
Yeah, I've been playing it. I'm absolutely loving it too. The X-Com meets Fallout 3 gameplay has me hooked.

It's funny how there were no hardcore turn based strategy rpgs for years and then this year two come out (Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin). Both kickstarter projects and both fantastic.
 
Top