The toybox

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,157
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall



I mean, I can appreciate Mashima's art as much as anyone. Great details :hee

I did read FT to the end but that last arc was a passive read for me.
I enjoyed ft up to edolas/ tenrou arc, but yeah last arc... :errr i dont even remember the names of the characters and what happened lol, only remembered that mavis became one of my most hated ft char :arf
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom





I enjoyed ft up to edolas/ tenrou arc, but yeah last arc... :errr i dont even remember the names of the characters and what happened lol, only remembered that mavis became one of my most hated ft char :arf
I remember the hype of Zeref's army and even another dark guild before that with Gray's dad? it's like all of a sudden everyone's parents came back.

Why was Mavis hated?

Was the series rushed in its ending?
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
That poll is missing a "weaker than Sanji" option. :*
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
noooo !! you re wrong wine baths are the best, wine is full of Resveratrol, its a chemical that has a lot of benefits for skin, a lot of brands are using it for their skin care range. just imagine your clients soaking directly into wine, imagine the benefits for their health and for your business ! :arf plus you could make the most of this wine, by exploiting it and selling it too, no sense of business ! :nah
Question - how many Bath & Spas have you run? Thought so :heh The mineralogy that alters our waters cannot be reduced to simple chemistry, the effects however are too splendid to deny!

Thanks for the pics, Erin.

What happened to the gambling den of iniquity? I had just saved up enough to enter :errr
The horse has bolted on that one, sorry. You can give me your money though.

What's up :wowsoBOB

Goldie-kun :wtf
:m3j

I remember the hype of Zeref's army and even another dark guild before that with Gray's dad? it's like all of a sudden everyone's parents came back.

Why was Mavis hated?

Was the series rushed in its ending?
Mavis is an abomination.

I think it was meant to end earlier, or I've read that somewhere, not sure if it's true.

That poll is missing a "weaker than Sanji" option. :*
We don't do headcanons here.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
You don't like the name goldie-kun? @Erinyes won't be happy.

Mavis is an abomination.

I think it was meant to end earlier, or I've read that somewhere, not sure if it's true.
Story-wise FT reminds me of Bleach, where it peaked and then it was just a free fall with mediocre to poor story but great character design. For me FT's peak is the battle for FT where Laxus was the villain. Loved that arc. After that Edolas was just a hot mess and I can't remember the order of what came after that; there was a timeskip I think.

Why is Mavis an abomination though? I recall her flashback, that was kinda sweet and the gaiden or additional material that was released about her too.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Story-wise FT reminds me of Bleach, where it peaked and then it was just a free fall with mediocre to poor story but great character design. For me FT's peak is the battle for FT where Laxus was the villain. Loved that arc. After that Edolas was just a hot mess and I can't remember the order of what came after that; there was a timeskip I think.

Why is Mavis an abomination though? I recall her flashback, that was kinda sweet and the gaiden or additional material that was released about her too.
Oh there were 2 timeskips. There was a clear lack of cohesion after a certain point earlier on, Edolas was basically filler to me. But i always felt Hiro could bring the hype and the last arc that was true for me until he started to burn everything...

I'm not big into strategist characters, especially those don't do anything smart. She should just stay dead but Hiro wanted another loli.. and she isn't even cute. Her whole involvement with Zeref puts her at the very bottom of FT.

Her interactions with Laxus bring him down :fail
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Oh there were 2 timeskips. There was a clear lack of cohesion after a certain point earlier on, Edolas was basically filler to me. But i always felt Hiro could bring the hype and the last arc that was true for me until he started to burn everything...

I'm not big into strategist characters, especially those don't do anything smart. She should just stay dead but Hiro wanted another loli.. and she isn't even cute. Her whole involvement with Zeref puts her at the very bottom of FT.

Her interactions with Laxus bring him down :fail
Two? what was the other one? I remember the one on the FT island with Mavis' ability but that's about it.

The decrease in quality is one of those things that makes me think Mashima should've gone on hiatus after the timeskip, gather himself and then come back. Dunno if he did that or how editors couldn't see the plot declining and not step in more. Oh well.

What interactions did she have with our Laxus? she better not have called him cute or something.
 

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,157
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall
I remember the hype of Zeref's army and even another dark guild before that with Gray's dad? it's like all of a sudden everyone's parents came back.

Why was Mavis hated?

Was the series rushed in its ending?
Well the whole mavis x zeref was just disgusting to me, i would have been ok if she just had appeared in the spin off and thats all, bringing her in main story was a huge mistake imo (fanservice ?) everything she did when back in main story was cringey.

Question - how many Bath & Spas have you run? Thought so :heh The mineralogy that alters our waters cannot be reduced to simple chemistry, the effects however are too splendid to deny!

Thanks for the pics, Erin.
Yw !
Arf ofc none, you havent read my resume, :arf im a communication and cosmetologist expert, the baths wine was just a proposal to upgrade your business, and make it a little different from what you find the spa market, but im totally fine with your awesome minerals, :derp still no sense of business



Mavis is an abomination.

I think it was meant to end earlier, or I've read that somewhere, not sure if it's true.
Yeah i ve read in an itw that Mashima initially planned to make Ft just a shonen focused on good moments between friends, thats the whole guild philosophy, it wasnt meant to have too much serious moments. those chill/fun moments corresponds to the early arcs. but he said that he might some day change the tone of the series and make it more serious. My guess is that he built FT world giving openings for potential more serious arcs if he needed someday to stretch, what he did. Might be due to editors pressure too, i know for exple Lisanna was never supposed to be revived that was Mashima's editor idea. seems to me last arc maybe even some before were additional.

I'm not big into strategist characters, especially those don't do anything smart. She should just stay dead but Hiro wanted another loli.. and she isn't even cute. Her whole involvement with Zeref puts her at the very bottom of FT.
I actually do like strategist chars, as long as they re well written (like Kurapika (HxH) for exple, thats for me an amazingly written strategist). But except maybe at the beginning of the spinoff, Mavis was just a semblance of a strategist to me, she never really shone, i may sound harsh but well.

The decrease in quality is one of those things that makes me think Mashima should've gone on hiatus after the timeskip, gather himself and then come back. Dunno if he did that or how editors couldn't see the plot declining and not step in more. Oh well.

What interactions did she have with our Laxus? she better not have called him cute or something.
afaik Mashima never took a single break, he even sometimes wrote several chapters plus spin offs, he has good work ethics, but i agree sometimes some little breaks/hiatuses are needed to take a step back and think over things. That said, i suspect editors doing the opposite, when a series is that much popular, they wont give up easily the goose with golden eggs. some just dont care of the authors or consistensy of their work, only money counts, they want their mag to sell. that what happened to Naruto too, Kishimoto who never planned his series to last that long, he expected it to last at best 5 years or so.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Two? what was the other one? I remember the one on the FT island with Mavis' ability but that's about it.

The decrease in quality is one of those things that makes me think Mashima should've gone on hiatus after the timeskip, gather himself and then come back. Dunno if he did that or how editors couldn't see the plot declining and not step in more. Oh well.

What interactions did she have with our Laxus? she better not have called him cute or something.
There was the first on one the island, between X784 and X791. Then after Tartarus there was a one year timeskip, to X792 (Alvarez). IIRC Tartarus was going to be the final arc, and it was at the editors intervention. There were also some things I read where FT was meant to end at the tower of Heaven, where Jellal appeared. Idk if that's truth or some FT fans going in Hiro defensive mode. In the end, it went for quite some time, and I think the last arc could've worked very well but too much went wrong lmao.

Nah Mavis didn't call him cute. But him being in the same panels as her was bad enough for me. Plus, when he used FT friendship power, he thought of Mavis...

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

afaik Mashima never took a single break, he even sometimes wrote several chapters plus spin offs, he has good work ethics, but i agree sometimes some little breaks/hiatuses are needed to take a step back and think over things. That said, i suspect editors doing the opposite, when a series is that much popular, they wont give up easily the goose with golden eggs. some just dont care of the authors or consistensy of their work, only money counts, they want their mag to sell. that what happened to Naruto too, Kishimoto who never planned his series to last that long, he expected it to last at best 5 years or so.
Yea I'm not begrudging those guys for staying in the game for so long.

Kishimoto especially had such a huge series, why not stay in the game? As a writer/author I'm sure they felt they could deliver something better, it just didn't turn out that way. That's why there's people like me who say "Naruto should have ended at the end of the Pain arc"... because the series dropped off so much after that, lol.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
afaik Mashima never took a single break, he even sometimes wrote several chapters plus spin offs, he has good work ethics, but i agree sometimes some little breaks/hiatuses are needed to take a step back and think over things. That said, i suspect editors doing the opposite, when a series is that much popular, they wont give up easily the goose with golden eggs. some just dont care of the authors or consistensy of their work, only money counts, they want their mag to sell. that what happened to Naruto too, Kishimoto who never planned his series to last that long, he expected it to last at best 5 years or so.
Yes, perspective is definitely a great thing. Especially when your series is already popular. You don't want to become complacent and rely on the hype to propel you to the finish line or for the series to write itself. I can definitely see editors just focusing on the success of the manga, despite the quality of the stories being told or its longetivity. It really sucks, especially for the well-being of the authors.

I also wonder if that's what happened with Bleach. I did hear there was some bad blood between Kubo and his editors and he rushed the ending to spite them or something along those lines.

There was the first on one the island, between X784 and X791. Then after Tartarus there was a one year timeskip, to X792 (Alvarez). IIRC Tartarus was going to be the final arc, and it was at the editors intervention. There were also some things I read where FT was meant to end at the tower of Heaven, where Jellal appeared. Idk if that's truth or some FT fans going in Hiro defensive mode. In the end, it went for quite some time, and I think the last arc could've worked very well but too much went wrong lmao.

Nah Mavis didn't call him cute. But him being in the same panels as her was bad enough for me. Plus, when he used FT friendship power, he thought of Mavis...
I recally the introduction of Zeref's son and some time travel elements and Belserion. I think it just got too messy for me. Before that point, I was already passively reading the series. So I couldn't even tell you much about that arc.

Wait, August was Zeref's son but who was the other one that looked like Natsu( the orgasm guy)?
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I recally the introduction of Zeref's son and some time travel elements and Belserion. I think it just got too messy for me. Before that point, I was already passively reading the series. So I couldn't even tell you much about that arc.

Wait, August was Zeref's son but who was the other one that looked like Natsu( the orgasm guy)?
It was very messy... August was Zeref and Mavis' son :fail and the other guy was Larcade who was a demon Zeref created while trying to resurrect Natsu.
 
Top