Re: Vagabond Sumi and Water artbooks
It's true that hard work can beat talent when talent doesn't work hard.
However, the concept I speak of is portrayed well even in Vagabond. For example; look at Musashi and Matahachi. Despite being Musashi's companion and going through the same tribulations at Sekigahara, why do you think Musashi is at this point in the story a reknowned swordsman, while Matahachi is a blithering, fraudulent human being? In voulme 2 (I believe, might have to double check), Matahachi describes the difference between him and Musashi having been born with something he "doesn't have." Musashi was simply born with an extremely athletic physique as well as an aptitude for killing and fighting- Matahachi does not possess either one of those traits. Hozoin In'ei also describes Inshun as a "natural born genius". Hyogonosuke, Seijuro, and especially Kojiro are all perfect examples of this natural born genius.
How else would a deaf-mute boy with no formal training in martial arts be able to take down over a 100 men in the aftermath of Sekigahara as well as defeat the 3 out of the 6 highly skilled Western Army soldiers (The group led by Koun, you remember).
Now you can argue this is all fiction, but since you asked, I'll give you a personal example.
Ever since I was a kid, I always loved basketball. You might know that in order to play basketball, you need to be blessed with height, speed, and the natural ability to jump. Not to sound too cocky, but I was naturally born with an aptitude for running fast, something which I inherited genetically through my father, for all the men on my dad's side of the family are pretty proficient runners. However, I was not gifted with height (I'm 5' 10''), nor the ability to jump very high. Ever wondered why the NBA is predominantly black nowadays? It's not because people other races have lost interest, it's just that blacks are generally born with the attributes that are perfect for playing basketball.
As a result, I eventually dropped basketball, as no matter how hard I worked, I had my own natural limits. However, I did have a natural aptitude for soccer, as I'm coordinated and I have speed. Also, there isn't as much an emphasis on height or jumping ability in soccer.
I also have an aptitude for writing (I know it doesn't show - whatever, it's an internet forum), and I actually won a full ride to a university due to a essay of mine in a writing contest and have been ranked among the top 4% in the nation in a writing contest.
One of the reasons I relate to Vagabond so well, and rank it as my number one when it comes to manga, is because of the flawless portrayal of concepts of life like these. Inoue has created a very down-to-earth manga without the rather unrealistic Shonen "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IF YOU TRY" attitude. This manga is infinitely more mature in its philosophy and content, and that's why I appreciate it, and that's why it's classified as a seinen manga. Experienced people will relate to this fine, but I really don't expect children or even some teenagers to relate to many important concepts.
Hope this all makes sense.