Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
It is quite different from what you expect. The new series is gag manga, and the main protagonist just acts like he is from fairy tales.

Oh really? o_O That makes it even more interesting. I will definitely look at it if someone scans it.
 

Tulkas

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
11
Age
106
Gender
Male
Country
Seborga
Wow, when was the last time OP didnt make it in the Top 2???
1-2Years ago? ^^
After all, no surprise after all the epic arcs, now OP is back to normal(even if it is FMI).

With the new batch and LW ending, there should be another 8-10 weeks til a new batch of series, so enough time for Mago to rise again and the new arc looks awesome.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Wow, when was the last time OP didnt make it in the Top 2???
1-2Years ago? ^^
Actually back in August :p It was beat by Toriko, Naruto, and Mago for one week.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm assuming Oda turned in his manuscript late :p Only thing that can knock it out of first place is Sasuke, a hiatus, or Oda getting punished.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Well It's about time OP got off it's throne again. It's kind of ridiculous that it's always up there, not EVERY OP chapter > All others in Jump EVERY week. The top 2 of the TOCs are just wrong and unfair most of the time, it's boring.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
but I'm also kinda glad Medaka is still down there with them...
May I know why you are glad? In 90% of the cases, the haters, who hate medaka box, probably haven't read more than 30 chapters. Medaka Box is quite narrative compared to Mago, Reborn, Beelzebub, Bleach,... The stories are also quite interesting and solid throughout its arcs. You can see that a good storyteller is behind this manga in contrast to the repetitiveness illness a lot of mangaka have in their specific WSJ series. Medaka Box is unrighteously an unappreciated, underestimated manga
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
May I know why you are glad? In 90% of the cases, the haters, who hate medaka box, probably haven't read more than 30 chapters. Medaka Box is quite narrative compared to Mago, Reborn, Beelzebub,... It is also quite interesting and solid throughout its arcs. You can see that a good storyteller is behind this manga in contrast to a lot of repetitiveness in WSJ series. Medaka Box is unrighteously an unappreciated, underestimated manga
I read through chapter 50 or so and got bored. I'm not necessarily glad because it's Medaka Box that is low but I'd much rather it be lower than something I enjoy reading like say Mago >.> I'm not exactly sure why I don't like the series, I just can't seem to enjoy the story or like any of the main heroes in the story.

Definitely good narrative but just don't like the plot as a whole and no matter how it's told I don't think it'd be my thing. But I don't hate it and if it does rise up and become one of the top tiers of Jump then I'll be happy for the fans. But like I said, I'd much rather it go than the series I like :p Selfishness I know lol
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'm assuming Oda turned in his manuscript late :p Only thing that can knock it out of first place is Sasuke, a hiatus, or Oda getting punished.
Or Hiramaru :D not a bad thing seeing One Piece in third, it's boring if it's always the same. Bakuman deserved the second place, as it was a high quality chapter! Mago being still in the bottom 5 is bad, I really hope it won't be another Psyren. Wonder what got into the japanese fans to rate it that bad the last few weeks :s

I'm glad that Enigma being in the bottom 5 was fake, it's an interesting story with a lot of potential. Sakaki is doing a good job so far and I'm curious to see how the story will develop

May I know why you are glad? In 90% of the cases, the haters, who hate medaka box, probably haven't read more than 30 chapters. Medaka Box is quite narrative compared to Mago, Reborn, Beelzebub, Bleach,... The stories are also quite interesting and solid throughout its arcs. You can see that a good storyteller is behind this manga in contrast to the repetitiveness illness a lot of mangaka have in their specific WSJ series. Medaka Box is unrighteously an unappreciated, underestimated manga
I agree with you Koen! Medaka Box is quite underestimated, maybe because of it's ridiculousness or to be more precise, it's irony. It's a little parody, just like Bakemono. There are a lot funny of moments showing you the sometimes ludicrous standards in Shounen or like Kumagawa said: "It's not like we're in Shounen Jump" :amuse
Hope the series will get more fans!
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Oh for me it is the opposite: I think that Mago is quite boring nowadays. I can really understand the result in the bottom. After the Toono training arc, Mago has become imo too generic. It lost its charm kinda like Psyren did on an exact moment. Anyway, everyone has their own taste but you are missing something

Zenkichi has more stage time nowadays. Some dead female president lives in him. She is also someone killed by Kumegawa. For some reason, she has given her eyes power to Zenkichi

Here
given by her
 
Last edited:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
I also think besides the sharp genre shift, Medaka Box definitely is a bit unloved. I quite enjoy the chapters when I read them.

I have heard good things about Mago, but after hearing a particularly scathing review of its anime, I have lost interest. xD

I am really curious that the Hiramaru chapter of Bakuman got such good feedback. It was an amazing chapter, but wow, that really surprised me when I found out it was that chapter the ranking is based off of!
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I also think besides the sharp genre shift, Medaka Box definitely is a bit unloved. I quite enjoy the chapters when I read them.

I have heard good things about Mago, but after hearing a particularly scathing review of its anime, I have lost interest. xD

I am really curious that the Hiramaru chapter of Bakuman got such good feedback. It was an amazing chapter, but wow, that really surprised me when I found out it was that chapter the ranking is based off of!
Allow me to put it this way: Mago is worh reading, but not worth watching. The anime screws around with manga events a bit too much...

I also agree that Medaka Box needs a bit more love...but it's still doing solid in volume sales so all is fine. I just wish they'd make an anime announcement already. It has enough chapters, and in addition to selling pretty well the author was behind Bakemonogatari which has sold an absurd amount of Blu-Rays. You figure it'd be a no-brainer...or perhaps their waiting for Medaka's 2 year anniversary to role around. Speaking of which, when is that again?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I also agree that Medaka Box needs a bit more love...but it's still doing solid in volume sales so all is fine. I just wish they'd make an anime announcement already. It has enough chapters, and in addition to selling pretty well the author was behind Bakemonogatari which has sold an absurd amount of Blu-Rays. You figure it'd be a no-brainer...or perhaps their waiting for Medaka's 2 year anniversary to role around. Speaking of which, when is that again?
Eh, if I was you I wouldn't want an anime this soon. Unless or course you want it plagued with filler and if they do a shorter anime, one that has a filler ending that are usually crap. It'll probably need to be around it's 3rd anniversary for a good non-filler anime.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Oh, c'mon... The most horrible one turns out to be the real deal. This one is just so not to my liking. Guess, if this continues I'll cancel my subscription to the magazine. I don't see any reason to pay for shit like that...
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Maybe it was the anime, but my enjoyment of Mago seems to have decreased. The anime was great during it's first half, the latter half being very drawn-out. The animation was pretty good, so were the character designs, but they changed some events and characters' personalities a bit. It actually made me dislike Tsurara. The manga also seems to have suffered during the latter half of the Hagoromo Gitsune arc. It was basically Rikuo doing all of the fighting. The Seimei twist was good though. I have no idea where it's going these last few chapters...

Anyway, I'm kind of bummed out seeing Enigma's ranking. I think its as good as its always been, perhaps the Kurisu mini-arc being a little on the long side is all. These last few chapters have been pretty exciting, so I'm hoping it's ranking will increase.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Eh, if I was you I wouldn't want an anime this soon. Unless or course you want it plagued with filler and if they do a shorter anime, one that has a filler ending that are usually crap. It'll probably need to be around it's 3rd anniversary for a good non-filler anime.
No I think it could work at the moment if it's paced correctly...as in not done by Studio Pierrot since they haven't had good pacing for an anime since Hikaru no Go(though I still enjoy most of their adaptions).
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, Medaka's vastly improved as of late. I used to hate it myself but I caught up recently and I was kind of amazed at how much better it gets once the plot gets going.

I think Mago's problem is that Shiibashi had no idea how to end the Gitsune arc, and now he's stalling for time with filler until he can figure it out. Though it seems like he's also trying to pander to the anime fans that are pretty much only in for it for the filler antics, which is disappointing.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
@Divinenega-- I'll keep that in mind. I'm not much of an anime watcher myself, so its probably unfair of me to judge a manga by its anime when I'd probably read the manga first. :sweatdrop:

Eh, if I was you I wouldn't want an anime this soon. Unless or course you want it plagued with filler and if they do a shorter anime, one that has a filler ending that are usually crap. It'll probably need to be around it's 3rd anniversary for a good non-filler anime.
And yet...the Beelzebub anime just started and it barely has 100 chapters. :facepalm I agree, when an anime starts so soon after a series it can only end in hair-pulling fillers.

Galactic Tomahawk said:
Yeah, Medaka's vastly improved as of late. I used to hate it myself but I caught up recently and I was kind of amazed at how much better it gets once the plot gets going.
Like I said before, once you get over the genre shift, the plot becomes something quite incredible and post-modern. The logic used reminds me of the latter half of Neuro, actually. There is something kind of un-Jump like about it, but it works in its favor.

Also, another series I am quite pleased with is Hokenshitu no Shinigami. I don't know how long it's going to survive, but its managed to stay relatively combat-free, which is refreshing. I hope it goes up a little, in the ranks.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Really? That's quite amusing, actually. xD Though you can't pull too many fake spoilers, then everyone will know its fake. >_>

I am excited about two Beelzebub colorspreads in a row, that makes me happy.

Ok, so my opinions of the TOC still stands. Pleased to see Bakuman doing so well, Medaka Box and Shinigami hold in there, you guys will be just fine!

I am really interested in this new series. I like fairy tales, and I think it would be refreshing for Jump readers to see something based on folk tales that aren't Japanese ones. :tem
The thing was they were faking Ohana's and other reliable source's codes on 2ch, which meant they did not need to fake the spoiler, people were fooled because they thought it was really Ohana posting them.

I never knew it would happen to the ToC as well, it never seemed that much important as the spoilers for the big three, but oh well there is a first time for everything.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Sal, thank you so much for clearing things up. This week (or rather today) has been quite interesting. My amusement would be frustration instead if we were still in the dark. :p

As for the real ranking, I like Bakuman's placement and Sket being in its comfort zone. OP will rise back up next week so I'm not worried about it. However, I am concerned about Enigma (despite being on solid ground) and Mago.
 

Westlo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
60
Reaction score
14
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Medaka shouldn't get an anime until the current arc is concluded, it would be criminal if the anime was made and mostly consisted of stuff before this current arc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top