Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
It's the tiger eye vs. the dragon eye. I don't know if that's the reference vinceled was referring to, but it's a common theme among manga, previously used among fellow WSJ titles One Piece and Beelzebub (back when it was still awesome).
Yeah eye techniques, also used a lot in Naruto^^ The drawing of the face is pretty much the same as when they use the techniques.
I actually forgot Beelzebub and OP used the same... shame on me. Though it's true the oneshot had an obvious reference to Zoro in it.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah eye techniques, also used a lot in Naruto^^ The drawing of the gace is pretty much the same as when they use the techniques.
I actually forgot Beelzebub and OP used the same... shame on me. Though it's true the oneshot had an obvious reference to Zoro in it.
Yeah, the eye technique is pretty common in the manga, especially in action series. It just happens that Kishimoto loves this kind of power. :)
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yeah, the eye technique is pretty common in the manga, especially in action series. It just happens that Kishimoto loves this kind of power. :)
Yeah I noticed that^^ That aside I quite liked the oneshot, gave it a shot because of the color page and it ended up to be pretty nice. The panelwork at the end was really enticing and the bounty hunters theme was pretty nice too.
 

ReiWen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
197
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Extract from the Wonderful Wonder World oneshot, I must say the mangaka has some guts lol, nice reference :

Those eyes look like taken out of samurai deeper kyo
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
There is interview from Toriyama Akira and he said IF there going to be another Dragon Ball, then he wants Vegeta going to be a main character.

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

This week's episode of Sakiyomi Jum-Bang; this week focuses on Dragon Ball game.
http://www.nosub.tv/watch/91377.html
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is Wonderful Wonder World a gag manga?
 

Ping

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 29, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Vietnam
So.. anything about the Author's Comments this week?
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
So.. anything about the Author's Comments this week?
It's not a smart idea to post the scans anymore, so I will refrain from doing so.
From ESJ

Masashi Kishimoto
"I went strawberry picking with my family! They are so delicious when fresh!"

Eiichiro Oda
"I finally got to see the Ghibli movie Kaguyahime no Monogatari. What beautiful animation. Japanese people are amazing!"

Naoshi Komi
"The Nisekoi anime has started!It look better than even I anticipated. Please take a look!"

Tite Kubo
"I already accomplished my New Year's Resolution. Yes, I went to the dentist."
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
There aren't Daisuke Ashihara and Mitsutoshi shimabukuo's comments...
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There aren't Daisuke Ashihara and Mitsutoshi shimabukuo's comments...
The corresponding issue for comments posted wouldnt have comments from authors whose works were on break for that issue, as the issue with World Trigger and Toriko's return isnt on sale until 2/3...
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Has anyone confirmed which series are going to end within this serialization/cancellation round and when? It just seems like an irregularly longer time.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Has anyone confirmed which series are going to end within this serialization/cancellation round and when? It just seems like an irregularly longer time.
Is it? I think it is just regular timing?

Based on reading this week's issue, I think Yakenohara going to end on Issue 11 and Hachi/Beelzebub going to follow it.
 

Reverberate

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
23
Reaction score
3
Age
30
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Looking at the new series starting right now.

I think that Stealth Symphony might have the most chances of being successful, Durarara's author is decently famous in the anime/manga/light novel world, right?

Tokyo Wonder Boys might catch on IMO, if the matches are gripping and excellent. Like up to the Itto series level.

I'm skeptical about Ai Shoujo. Most distinguishable out of the bunch IMO, but I don't know. Nisekoi is on the rise with its anime, and with Himedol!! axed easily like that, it doesn't give me much hope. But I'll still check it out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Does author pedigree confer series instant popularity, if Im understanding the wiki entry correctly the writer of Medaka Box was a pretty well regarded writer of many works catering to both otaku and nontraditional fans of the medium. Verily, Stealth Symphony may truly be the clear success story. Im cheering it on.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Shounen Jump = new soccer manga
Jump SQ. = live-adaptation movie of 1/11 Juuichi Bun no Ichi (soccer manga)
Grand Jump = new Captain Tsubasa
Young Jump = new soccer manga

Yup, Shueisha is fully ready for upcoming World Cup.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I think that Stealth Symphony might have the most chances of being successful, Durarara's author is decently famous in the anime/manga/light novel world, right?
I actually think Stealth Symphony will be axed pretty quickly. Narita has a habit of incorporating a crapton of characters and Amano is known for having panels to some call way too busy and full.
I don't think that's a good combination at all.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Does author pedigree confer series instant popularity, if Im understanding the wiki entry correctly the writer of Medaka Box was a pretty well regarded writer of many works catering to both otaku and nontraditional fans of the medium. Verily, Stealth Symphony may truly be the clear success story. Im cheering it on.
There are cases in which pedigree confers popularity, the most obvious and recent example being Yusei Matsui with Assassination Classroom following Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro. But there are still other cases (I can't say if it's more or less) in which authors with previously highly successful serials return with a less successful serial. Here's a quick list of a few authors I've found and their series in order published, with the bold series being their most successful:

- Ryu Fujisaki (Psycho +, Hoshin Engi, Sakuratetsu Taiwahen, Waqwaq)
- Mizuki Kawashita (Lilim Kiss, Ichigo 100%, Hatsukoi Limited, Anedoki)
- Yoshiyuki Nishi (Muhyo & Roji, Bokke-san, Hachi)
- Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin, Gun Blaze West, Buso Renkin)

Overall, if history's shown us, author pedigree doesn't mean too much when it comes to how successful subsequent series will become. Though it's still fun to observe how authors evolve, for better or worse.

I think the recent case scenario of Yusei Matsui may have led some of us to believe that authors can never get worse over time, when, really, they can still lose their adaptability with the audience and editors.
 
Last edited:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Does author pedigree confer series instant popularity, if Im understanding the wiki entry correctly the writer of Medaka Box was a pretty well regarded writer of many works catering to both otaku and nontraditional fans of the medium. Verily, Stealth Symphony may truly be the clear success story. Im cheering it on.
While that is true, Medaka Box was also not a very good ranking series. I think having a famous writer onboard probably secures the series from any early cancellations, but that's just me making assumptions.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I think Medaka is a good case of how a well know author can make a series survive, the ranks were bad, but the volumes were selling great (because of the author).. which made it go through the beginning.

It would still go down if the ranking didn't get better tho. But while choosing between 2 bad rankings ones, the one that sells the most will survive.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top