Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Viz's english shonen jump survey seems to be gauging interest in different models for the magazine first involved changing the amount of Yugioh cards (0, 4, or 8, with prices of 14.99 to 29.99)...while the second key question seemed to suggest a model in which people could read the newest issue for free with no back issue. Wonder if it will come to pas s and if people would do it or continue to read manga from their alternative sources.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Illegal Rare #2 Raw

Isnt the guy that shows up at the end this guy from the Author's previous oneshot?

Also surprised they showed werewolves already. Anyway I really like what I''m seeing from this series.
Yep, it's him, called Dark Pawn. I really like his design (even though he looks pretty similar to the Undertaker in the Black Butler series). Looks like IR won't only be ink after all, the author tried to at least used tones for SFX with is quite pleasing to the eyes^^ I only skimmed through c02 but I liked what I saw. It seems this will become a series without much action but a really interesting series.

On another note, I Shoujo has a pretty nice art, must be the way the characters are drawn with thick lines but I like the art. I'll have to read both IR c01 and I Shoujo c01 carefully later. Time for me to get to translating since I finally got the raws today.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
On another note, I Shoujo has a pretty nice art, must be the way the characters are drawn with thick lines but I like the art. I'll have to read both IR c01 and I Shoujo c01 carefully later. Time for me to get to translating since I finally got the raws today.
Is it? For me, the artwork is kind of awkward.

As of now, I think IR is better than I Shoujo.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Viz's english shonen jump survey seems to be gauging interest in different models for the magazine first involved changing the amount of Yugioh cards (0, 4, or 8, with prices of 14.99 to 29.99)...while the second key question seemed to suggest a model in which people could read the newest issue for free with no back issue. Wonder if it will come to pas s and if people would do it or continue to read manga from their alternative sources.
I for one, will never read their "official" translations, even for free until they start calling One Piece characters by the correct name.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Is it? For me, the artwork is kind of awkward.

As of now, I think IR is better than I Shoujo.
Well the art really doesn't look like what you usually see in manga with the thin lines and all. And well I can't really say yet which I liked most since I only skimmed through I shoujo (which is basically everything I hate in manga being ecchi and stuff - with panty shots)

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

I for one, will never read their "official" translations, even for free until they start calling One Piece characters by the correct name.
You know if the author doesn't explicitly give the romaji for a name then there is no official translation for it nor right translation right? But well this was discussed several weeks ago and don't see the usefulness in it being dug back up.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well the art really doesn't look like what you usually see in manga with the thin lines and all.
Possibly, but I don't really like the artwork for the background. It kind of feel like the author just roughly draw the background; it kind of make me feel like reading the storybook.

But, the character design is good.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I for one, will never read their "official" translations, even for free until they start calling One Piece characters by the correct name.
well whatever, sure, as long as you back that up by at least supporting the product in its original language. You can't have any complaints there, after all
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Well the art really doesn't look like what you usually see in manga with the thin lines and all. And well I can't really say yet which I liked most since I only skimmed through I shoujo (which is basically everything I hate in manga being ecchi and stuff - with panty shots)

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------



You know if the author doesn't explicitly give the romaji for a name then there is no official translation for it nor right translation right? But well this was discussed several weeks ago and don't see the usefulness in it being dug back up.
Oda however HAS given romaji for Zoro.
It's disgusting how Viz used Zoro for the first few volumes, then switched it and now refuses to switch it back to the proper name along with Funimation.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Oda however HAS given romaji for Zoro.
It's disgusting how Viz used Zoro for the first few volumes, then switched it and now refuses to switch it back to the proper name along with Funimation.
Don't you think there's a reason it was changed in the first place?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Oda however HAS given romaji for Zoro.
It's disgusting how Viz used Zoro for the first few volumes, then switched it and now refuses to switch it back to the proper name along with Funimation.
C'mon, disgusting? A bit strong of a word there. I found it annoying when they did it but only because I had already been reading it as Zoro up until then. I was honestly more upset with the removal of curse words that they did for several years :XD But yeah the name thing seems so arbitrary to me, I mean, unless it changes the story somehow, I just don't see what the big deal is...
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Don't you think there's a reason it was changed in the first place?
Because they wanted to be consistency with 4kids rape of a dub. However, there is no reason why they couldn't just go back to Zoro now that Funimation has as well with their new dub.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

C'mon, disgusting? A bit strong of a word there. I found it annoying when they did it but only because I had already been reading it as Zoro up until then. I was honestly more upset with the removal of curse words that they did for several years :XD But yeah the name thing seems so arbitrary to me, I mean, unless it changes the story somehow, I just don't see what the big deal is...
What if they were to randomly change Luffy's name to Larry Wheeler?
It is a perversion of the artists original intentions and should be illegal.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
What if they were to randomly change Luffy's name to Larry Wheeler?
It is a perversion of the artists original intentions and should be illegal.
Plenty of things should be illegal but changing a few letters in a name to make it more nationalized for wherever it's being read isn't one of them :XD
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Plenty of things should be illegal but changing a few letters in a name to make it more nationalized for wherever it's being read isn't one of them :XD
I don't see how pointlessly changing the name makes it any more nationalized. It's literally pointless for anybody to argue on behalf of Viz in this situation as they are objectively in the wrong.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
No one is saying it isn't silly or unfortunate, but it's a single letter. People who would buy every volume of One Piece put out by Viz aren't put off by it. It's minor, compared to other editing or censorship that has occurred in the past.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
No one is saying it isn't silly or unfortunate, but it's a single letter. People who would buy every volume of One Piece put out by Viz aren't put off by it. It's minor, compared to other editing or censorship that has occurred in the past.
Supporting, tolerating, or turning a blind eye to the perversion of an artists work, no matter how small it may seem can only lead to more perversion on a grander scale.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Supporting, tolerating, or turning a blind eye to the perversion of an artists work, no matter how small it may seem can only lead to more perversion on a grander scale.
...except it hasn't. In fact it's gone in the opposite direction for licensed manga in general since One Piece debuted many years ago.

Regardless of whether the name-change was a copyright issue or if it was just for the sake of uniformity for the already established English-speaking fanbase (however minor/insignificant it was), that alteration is of little consequence and has nothing to do with the essence of the series. Calling it "disgusting" is quite the exaggeration.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
...except it hasn't. In fact it's gone in the opposite direction for licensed manga in general since One Piece debuted many years ago.

Regardless of whether the name-change was a copyright issue or if it was just for the sake of uniformity for the already established English-speaking fanbase (however minor/insignificant it was), that alteration is of little consequence and has nothing to do with the essence of the series. Calling it "disgusting" is quite the exaggeration.
The reason why censorship and changing character names has drastically decreased recently is because people HAVE been standing up to the companies who did this. So clearly it is not at all the opposite of what I was saying.

And it is disgusting. I'm sorry that I'm not going to turn a blind eye to the rape of Oda's art no matter how small some may think it is.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The reason why censorship and changing character names has drastically decreased recently is because people HAVE been standing up to the companies who did this. So clearly it is not at all the opposite of what I was saying.

And it is disgusting. I'm sorry that I'm not going to turn a blind eye to the rape of Oda's art no matter how small some may think it is.
Yes, along with a growing fanbase online. I'm not disputing that at all. I would prefer Zoro as well, who wouldn't? But there's been no clear explanation as to why it is what it is, as far as I know. So referring to Zoro being Zolo as "disgusting" or "rape", is an overreaction in my eyes. No point in arguing over it anymore, your mind is made up.

A phrase comes to mind - "choose your battles".
 
Last edited:

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Viz's english shonen jump survey seems to be gauging interest in different models for the magazine first involved changing the amount of Yugioh cards (0, 4, or 8, with prices of 14.99 to 29.99)...while the second key question seemed to suggest a model in which people could read the newest issue for free with no back issue. Wonder if it will come to pas s and if people would do it or continue to read manga from their alternative sources.
Where did you come across this survey?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top