Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Agreed. I ain't interested in SS that much. It's good but I prefer IR more. Too many characters are introduced in this also. Well, as long as the story gets interesting, I'll keep reading it. It's still too early to judge it. But I found it more entertaining than WT's initial chapters so I guess that's something. I'm waiting for Illegal Rare's 3rd chapter and hopefully iShoujo(Yes, I'm gonna give an ecchi manga a go since everyone is praising it so much -_- ).
I've been checking out the raws and I think you'll be surprised at just how good it is for an ecchi manga. There's also a twist on the rom-com genre with this series. If Nisekoi doesn't end up being the next Love Hina, then I think this series will.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It is increasing while it is airing, volume 10 already had an increase, the biggest since the beginning of the series and the series had barely begun. Volume 11 is having a better perfomance than volume 10 in all kind of rankings. I wonder what kind of increase you're talking about.
I think they are talking about big increase like Kuroko, Magi, and Hoozuki for most recent example; it means the past volumes got ranked into Oricon top 50 again.

Nisekoi did had increase, but not a 'big' increase.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Tell me, if you see nisekoi vol12 (not likely but more than vol11) sell 400k while on rank won't you consider it a big increase? even if it never had old volumes appear in the the top 50?

What we have been seeing is nisekoi volumes being ranking on top 100-150 while the anime is airing.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

All the old volumes are getting a new reprint btw (1-10). And isobe is getting a new one!
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Each series has its own rhythm of increasing; Kuroko, Magi and Hoozuki did not become standard of increasing, which anyone who doesn't follow the "standard" didn't increase. Kuroko and Magi had a small increasing comparing to Shingeki no Kyojin, and what? I didn't see anyone making this comparison. Compare series in sales, even more when they have different genres and public, is not the right way to see whether a series increase its sales or not. Compare to the own previous series sales.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TXC

Chipp12

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
20
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
I'm not from a country that allows the use of ESJ but I was able to become a subscriber when I've downloaded an app using proxy and then installed and got subscription from a Play Store. It didn't ask about you address or something like that.
 

UnspokenCoconut

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Republic
Personally, I don't understand why Nisekoi fans so DESPERATE want this series get an increase in sales like Korobas do.
Selling ~200k are good especially for a rom-com series.
I think Nisekoi won't even reach 300k let alone 400k.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Personally, I don't understand why Nisekoi fans so DESPERATE want this series get an increase in sales like Korobas do.
Selling ~200k are good especially for a rom-com series.
I think Nisekoi won't even reach 300k let alone 400k.
Well, it is natural for the fans want their favorite series to have really high tank sale.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Each series has its own rhythm of increasing; Kuroko, Magi and Hoozuki did not become standard of increasing, which anyone who doesn't follow the "standard" didn't increase. Kuroko and Magi had a small increasing comparing to Shingeki no Kyojin, and what? I didn't see anyone making this comparison. Compare series in sales, even more when they have different genres and public, is not the right way to see whether a series increase its sales or not. Compare to the own previous series sales.
But, the problem is that there is a different perspective for the fans and the non-fans.

For the fans, they follow every volume releases, so they become happy as long as the series did increase.

For the non-fans, they don't really follow the series' sale increases; so, they only recognize the series had increase with their past series got re-ranked in Oricon.

That's a difference.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Tell me, if you see nisekoi vol12 (not likely but more than vol11) sell 400k while on rank won't you consider it a big increase? even if it never had old volumes appear in the the top 50?

What we have been seeing is nisekoi volumes being ranking on top 100-150 while the anime is airing.

I think the problem with going that low to the 100's and such and not the 50's is that if each week the bottom of 50 is like 12-20K, that doesnt really suggest that a "big substantial" increase is taking place compared to other series.

I think you used vol 10 there previously, but I think it would also be hard to say if that truly increased because of the anime instead of just having the usual increase that series show over time.

I think what would help tremendously is if Shueisha gave a total update to the total circulation numbers of Nisekoi copies in print.

I'm not sure judging Nisekoi in comparison to Toriko is fair in the first place. Let's compare any increase to past volumes of Nisekoi, not other manga. It's only Monday. Let's wait until the real Oricon rankings come out on Wednesday.
I think the Toriko comparison would be valid, as we know typically how much Toriko sales each volume for the past few. In terms of guesstimating how much Nisekoi is selling, and using any chart and seeing that Nisekoi is unable to rank higher than Toriko, both released in the same week, it kind of gives an idea of how much to expect nisekoi selling before numbers are revealed on Oricon.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Mmhm.
For me, even the world it's set in is pretty generic.
The only reason I'm still reading is because I have a soft-spot for Jump battle manga that aren't terrible. Although if the mangaka insists on continuing to introduce countless new characters we don't care about, and then try and put characters in situations where we are supposed to feel for them yet are unable to because of how poorly he's built them up then I probably will end up dropping it later on if it doesn't end up getting cancelled first.

I mean people often complain about how many new series get cancelled in Jump, but honestly, if you look at the series that get cancelled and the ones that don't get cancelled, there is (in most cases) an obvious difference in the level of quality. Yes, World Trigger is MUCH better than crap like Hungry Joker or Takamagahara, but it's also no One Piece or Hunter x Hunter which is probably why it hasn't been a big success.
One reason I'm really liking Illegal Rare and iShoujo is because I think that they have those qualities that make a good Jump manga. Illegal Rare for example has good art, decent world-building (so far), interesting characters (in my opinion), and nice action and good comedy (which is especially impressive due to the dark tone of the manga), meanwhile we have Iron Knight which is next on the chopping block that has mediocre (arguably just bad) art, mediocre world building, mediocre characters, bad action, and mediocre comedy.
And while I personally am not a fan of Stealth Symphony, is a much more (at least in my opinion) fleshed out and professional series than most of the crap that gets cancelled in Jump.

Y'know, I was trying to for a while figure out why Kokushi Musou!! Doesn't excite me as much as it used to, and I think it's pretty much most of what you're saying. Lots of potential squandered by too many characters. I always think it's much better to focus on a few characters in the initial stages of serialization than trying to create a whole world and stuff. Loathe to believe that things can get cancelled, and sticking to a smaller cast until the seires takes off is the difference between a dirgible's crash and burn and a zepplin. I feel like that's what Stealth Symphony's problem is. It's in a rush to introduce as much as possible at once when it's better to give us a reason to care about the series to stave off cancellation, rather than trying to introduce as much as possible 'just in case'. Most of the bigger mangaka even admit at first they weren't sure their series would last more than a year.

Which brings me to iShoujo. As weird as this is, I kind of get the vibe from the series that the author doesn't 'care' about cancelation. As in he's doing his thing and will stick to it. The art is okay, the ecchi is nothing surprising, but I just get this vibe from the series that it's not trying to be more than what it is --a charming romcom romp. I read the last chapter and the new protagonists seem to be just as fun as the first ones (Loved the first couple's cameo apperance too, and the fact that this seems to be taking place at the same school...so we may have a chance to see everyone.) I think it's just sticking to basics that will keep a series from the chopping block more than trying to be cool for the sake of longevity.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Personally, I don't understand why Nisekoi fans so DESPERATE want this series get an increase in sales like Korobas do.
Selling ~200k are good especially for a rom-com series.
I think Nisekoi won't even reach 300k let alone 400k.
Only issue with nisekoi getting big would be the writer getting a bit more lax on plot and creating numerous other random meandering scenarios to further prolong the identity of the true key holder. Though it means more Shu arcs, the series needs to get on.

I dont think the series ever appealed to such a broad audience to get high sales that people are expecting like that. 400K to half a mln is a bit much.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I think the problem with going that low to the 100's and such and not the 50's is that if each week the bottom of 50 is like 12-20K, that doesnt really suggest that a "big substantial" increase is taking place compared to other series.

I think you used vol 10 there previously, but I think it would also be hard to say if that truly increased because of the anime instead of just having the usual increase that series show over time.

I think what would help tremendously is if Shueisha gave a total update to the total circulation numbers of Nisekoi copies in print.
Nisekoi vol 10 ranked longer than usual, and a 40k increase isn't normal after selling the same for 3/4 volumes. What happened in the manga that made the sudden increase? the only thing I can remember is marika boost of popularity lol

Doing some math at 12 per week * 9 = 108k, we already knew from the last official print circulation that nisekoi was at 220k per volume~ and that was months ago!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

And don't get me wrong as I would be more than happy if it was only the manga doing, as I prefer the manga over the anime.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think a late increase (kurobas) seems rarer. Noragami and hozukis happened while it was airing for example.
What's to say Nisekoi's sales won't increase as much as Norgami or Hoozuki? We haven't seen sales figures yet.

Kurobas is the more normal example. Extreme examples are series like Shingeki, where sales increase by large amounts very quickly.

Tell me, if you see nisekoi vol12 (not likely but more than vol11) sell 400k while on rank won't you consider it a big increase? even if it never had old volumes appear in the the top 50?
I'd actually be surprised if it increased that much after only one volume. That would almost double volume elevens sales while charting. I'd say that is realistic, but still a pretty high goal. Usually series seem to increase, fall down the charts, then hang out in that 31 - 50 range, gradually reaching the big number. Then it's the next volume where the increase becomes more obvious.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I don't understand why Nisekoi fans so DESPERATE want this series get an increase in sales like Korobas do.
Selling ~200k are good especially for a rom-com series.
I think Nisekoi won't even reach 300k let alone 400k.
The hell's the point of following sales if you're not going to discuss the potential for growth? Nobodies "desperate". Anime provide manga the potential for growth. Nisekoi fans are rooting for a series they like to grow.

Nisekoi already sells over 200,000 during it's chart life, not counting sales after it falls out of the top 50. Volume 10 was released a week before the anime started. January 13-19 was it's last week on the charts. It sold 32,975 copies that week, for a total of 214,988 copies. If Nisekoi is not already selling that much, reaching 300,000 a year in sales would be an incredibly low milestone based on current sales. Are you implying that it will see no further increase at all, not even a minimal boost based on the anime? Reaching 300,000 in it's chart life would take only a very small weekly increase, not nearly as dramatic an increase as Kurabas in 2012.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I think the problem with going that low to the 100's and such and not the 50's is that if each week the bottom of 50 is like 12-20K, that doesnt really suggest that a "big substantial" increase is taking place compared to other series.
Nisekoi #10 sold about 214,000 while it was on the charts. Volume #9 fell out of the charts after selling 162,544 in the November 11-17 rankings. Without considering any sales after they fell out of the charts, that is an increase of 52,000 copies in only two months. That is a sales increase of 1/3 (52/162) in a very short period of time. Volume #10 came out a week before the anime debuted. Without full benefit of the anime, sales increased by a third after only two months. Only two episodes had aired when volume #10 fell out of the charts.
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Someone in 2ch posted a rather interesting chart so I thought I'd share it with you guys, it's about Jump series that had an anime and ended after 2000, it shows how long did it take them after their anime ended for the manga to end (in WSJ, doesn't matter if they went to another mag later on, and I think this only considers TV anime and the last season of it if it had multiple)
Prince of Tennis - 3 years
Katekyo Hitman Reborn - 2 years 2 months
Beelzebub - 2 years
Shaman King - 1 year 11 months
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo - 1 year 9 months
Eyeshield 21 - 1 year 3 months
Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro - 1 year 1 month
To LOVE-Ru - 1 year
D.Gray-man - 11 months
Houshin Engi - 11 months
Sket Dance - 10 months
Hanasaka Tenshi Tenten-kun - 9 months
Nurarihyon no Mago - 6 months
Medaka Box - 4 months
Ichigo 100% - 1.5 months
Hikaru no Go - 1 month

Whistle - Cancelled while the anime was airing
Yu-Gi-Oh!/Bakuman - Finished while the anime was airing
Death Note/Black Cat/Hatsukoi Limited/Busou Renkin - Animated after ending

Ongoing manga and the date their last TV anime ended
Kochikame - December 2004
Gintama - March 2010
Bleach - March 2012
Toriko - March 2014
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Based on that list, then it isnt out of the question for Nisekoi to end in the time frame I originally proposed a few weeks back.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Though Gintama's last 'season' was in 2013. I guess it techinically doesn't count since each 'season' was a new series.

Thats an interesting list. Is there much of an overlap between how long a series took to get animated after it's serialization began and how long it took to end after the animation finishes? Or how long an (anime) series ran due to how early it got animated? ....actually a list of the series that started after 2000 and how long it took for the ones which got an anime took to be animated would be cool.

And daaag Whistle. Getting cancelled while having an anime on air has to be a new high...or low.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
I love how according to this chart Bleach could end by this year or next. Also I recently noticed this last arc in Bleach has been ongoing for 2 years and it still doesn't feels like the middle has been reached yet...
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I love how according to this chart Bleach could end by this year or next. Also I recently noticed this last arc in Bleach has been ongoing for 2 years and it still doesn't feels like the middle has been reached yet...
I fullheartedly believe that Jump is going to be forced to give it a Shaman King ending at the end of this year due to Kubo's inability to pace the series properly in accordance to the series dire situation.
 

zangetsukakashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
117
Reaction score
44
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
Someone in 2ch posted a rather interesting chart so I thought I'd share it with you guys, it's about Jump series that had an anime and ended after 2000, it shows how long did it take them after their anime ended for the manga to end (in WSJ, doesn't matter if they went to another mag later on, and I think this only considers TV anime and the last season of it if it had multiple)
Prince of Tennis - 3 years
Katekyo Hitman Reborn - 2 years 2 months
Beelzebub - 2 years
Shaman King - 1 year 11 months
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo - 1 year 9 months
Eyeshield 21 - 1 year 3 months
Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro - 1 year 1 month
To LOVE-Ru - 1 year
D.Gray-man - 11 months
Houshin Engi - 11 months
Sket Dance - 10 months
Hanasaka Tenshi Tenten-kun - 9 months
Nurarihyon no Mago - 6 months
Medaka Box - 4 months
Ichigo 100% - 1.5 months
Hikaru no Go - 1 month

Whistle - Cancelled while the anime was airing
Yu-Gi-Oh!/Bakuman - Finished while the anime was airing
Death Note/Black Cat/Hatsukoi Limited/Busou Renkin - Animated after ending

Ongoing manga and the date their last TV anime ended
Kochikame - December 2004
Gintama - March 2010
Bleach - March 2012
Toriko - March 2014
He forgot HxH.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I love how according to this chart Bleach could end by this year or next. Also I recently noticed this last arc in Bleach has been ongoing for 2 years and it still doesn't feels like the middle has been reached yet...
Technically by that chart, Gintama should have ended 2 years ago :P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top