Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Medaka Box's Minus arc is one of the best in battle shounen, even if most of the rest of the series sucked. Kumagawa and a bit later Ajimu really made the series (it amazes me that it somehow managed to last long enough to get to them though).
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Izekawa has a huge ego (which comes with passion) but he's great at writing genuine and comfy series.
Not as great as he thinks he is, but I'm definitely a fan.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Everyone in this forum knows I want Yusaku Shibata back. Mutou Black mangaka, hopefully he is not discouraged, time to go full battle manga. I'd liked to see what Yuu Miki can do now and UBS brah. Moue has all the tools to be a good mangaka.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
What are some Jump series you guys would really like to see scanlated (in english) or are very surprised aren't?
For me Ninku (and its Ultra Jump prequel), Wicked Cupid (I got someone to do the first few chapters a few years ago but he seems to have dropped it), Circuit no Ookami, Fuma no Kojiro, and Ginga.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Everyone in this forum knows I want Yusaku Shibata back. Mutou Black mangaka, hopefully he is not discouraged, time to go full battle manga. I'd liked to see what Yuu Miki can do now and UBS brah. Moue has all the tools to be a good mangaka.
Yuu Miki was pushed and hailed as the next big thing and then.....Cyborg Roggy flopped

I don't know if he will be the next big thing but I see the potential to be the next Sorachi

What are some Jump series you guys would really like to see scanlated (in english) or are very surprised aren't?
For me Ninku (and its Ultra Jump prequel), Wicked Cupid (I got someone to do the first few chapters a few years ago but he seems to have dropped it), Circuit no Ookami, Fuma no Kojiro, and Ginga.
everything you said plus Moeru! Oniisan and Wild Half
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I want to read Akuma no Memumemu-chan.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Was Yoakemono that bad? Sahara had charm so I checked it out and it seemed ok but I really do like his art. You can see Horikoshis style in it
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yoakemono was average, that was its problem

if you're going to do a dark unlike Jump series you should be better than that ala Neverland, Death Note

Yoakemono was gorey and bloody while being a generic battle shonen manga
 
Last edited:

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Also the pace was worse than Boku no hero.
Fun fact:In my country, yoakemono was licenced
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yoakemono was average, that was its problem

if you're going to do a dark unlike Jump series you should be better than that ala Neverland, Death Note

Yoakemono was goery and bloody while being a generic battle shonen manga
That's unfortunate. Do you live in Japan? You seem to know the majority of the lesser series that don't get scanlated
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also the pace was worse than Boku no hero.
Fun fact:In my country, yoakemono was licenced
2 chapter arcs?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Yokemono's biggest problem was shameless lifting to near Black Clover levels.
It had a lot more charm and identity than anything Tabata could do though.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
That's unfortunate. Do you live in Japan? You seem to know the majority of the lesser series that don't get scanlated
No, I wish I was

it's a weird combination of
1-being Japanese lessons dropout
2- constantly looking for new thing to read
3-constantly checking out Japanese social media sites to make sure the things I read are being received well and not getting axed
4-stalking some Japanese people I trust their taste online

 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I kind want to see Ikezawa Haruto return and get cancelled before ch 20 this time, purely to see what kind of meltdown he'd have.
He wrote that Kendo manga right? I really want a Kendo series was thinking of checking it out, was it that bad?

Meltdown?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
He wrote that Kendo manga right? I really want a Kendo series was thinking of checking it out, was it that bad?

Meltdown?
he use to have a twitter account where he used to do what we do here
comment on the toc and ranking every week and criticize things
the only difference is he works for Jump
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
He wrote that Kendo manga right? I really want a Kendo series was thinking of checking it out, was it that bad?

Meltdown?
That Kendo series isn't bad but it isn't good either. It has similar premise to Hikaru no Go, that's why I say it isn't that bad. He used the exact same formula for Mononofu and doesn't improve on anything.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Still triggered that Nami ranks higher than Robin in the polls. I wonder how high everyone's favorite edgelord will rank this time considering he hasn't been in the spotlight for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed top 3 though, especially since he would have apparently been number 1 if they didn't count Lucy's votes for Luffy. Luffy and Zoro need to be rank 1 and 2 respectively though, they've been my favorites since the beginning. Hope Carrot ranks at least above 15 because it seems like she's shaping up to be a new crew member.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
What I'm more interested in with these polls is seeing how the Japanese and Western fanbases differ. One Piece is probably fairly predictable at least in terms of the main crew (since Nami, Sanji especially Chopper always seemed to be a lot less popular in the west than in Japan), But I have no idea how the Black Clover polls will compare other than Yami probably being top 2 for both.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I wonder if Black Clover will end up with a bunch of joke votes from people who don't like the series, I remember a couple polls in Japan for Prince of Tennis or something having joke votes propelling random old guys to the no 1 spot.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've just been voting for Noelle and Nero.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
My favorite joke vote has to be Naruto in MHA's first poll. Whoever threw that in had a real sense of humor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top