Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 834 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Arent they both cg. I cant imagine people drawing ice in 2017

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
What’s funny is I think I now understand why I don’t understand the recent criticism towards Food Wars. I skipped the first 100 or so chapters just to see the Elite 10 and skimmed over the previous arc summaries to understand the current arc. Dropped S1 after first episode, watched S2 for the most part, just listened to S3’s opening. Eventually stopped reading weekly in 2016 and binge when I felt like getting caught up. The series can be boring and predictable, yeah, but from day 1 I wasn’t ever gonna get worked up over a series that had tentacle rape in the first episode. People tripping over a split cour, just lmao. 2019 still is when I think it’ll end

De La Croissant

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
not Festa related, but I just noticed that Neverland volumes are getting boosts thanks to Kono Manga ga Sugoi award

I wonder if it will overtake SnS by next volume
It's funny how Neverland is growing thanks mainly to external influences. With the anime may be able to beat Haikyuu!!.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Todoroki CG ice looks bad,if i remember correctly they rarely use any CG in First and second season..

Looks good, but 2 cour shows are rarely consistent recently...hopefully this one has good schedule
That is not CG.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Lol we out here sacrificing animes as if they're yugioh cards.

Yuragi shouldn't be sacrificed :hmph. From what I've read of it, it was enjoyable.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
@iceemperor I'm sorry but Sin Nanatsu no Tazai hasn't prove anything yet, same thing with Keijo if you plan to bring that up. They both failed for 3 specific reasons which this isn't a thread to discuss.

Anime will air in the summer, so they will release more PVs (along with the reveal of 2 merchandises) with other characters too. If the anime doesn't boost the manga by that time then feel free to bring it up again. For now just relax, it's not that hard. With the anime, Yuragi is safe for a 3+ years serialization, and depend on when Tadahiro plan to end it/anime become a success and series become a franchise, 4~5 years serialization in WSJ is pretty bazaar if you ask me.
The anime will honestly probably not boost manga sales much. Its a different type of genre, one that sells merchandise and BDs as opposed to manga volumes. For these series, standing out is crucial. While this PV tells us nothing about how the anime as a whole will look, the key visual's character design is too "generic". Miura's style was always like that but they upped this even further. This is why I think this is not the right decision, though I may be wrong. The fact that they're rushing this out when only 8 volumes have been released just doesn't bode well for me, especially when its a series from a niche genre. Usually, they'd wait a bit longer to get an anime out. I don't want to sacrifice any series for the sake of other series and honestly there is no such thing as sacrificing. Each series has different producers. All of them want to make money. Yuuna's anime has almost nothing to do with Kimetsu getting an anime.

Honestly, Kimetsu almost lucked out in this current era. In this era of jump, its possible for series to sell around 140k and get an anime whereas series like Mx0 were cancelled when they were selling similar amounts. In addition, Kimetsu wasn't a hit out of the gate. It took a while to catch on. Kimetsu, looking purely at sales, is not a series that will get an anime anytime soon. Even with that great growth, its still not able to do 100k in a week. I'm sure we can expect an announcement by 2019 Jump Festa but they really should wait that long. Even if you bring up WT, that was an anomaly that honestly shouldn't have happened until at least a year later.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Lol we out here sacrificing animes as if they're yugioh cards.

Yuragi shouldn't be sacrificed :hmph. From what I've read of it, it was enjoyable.
It is enjoyable, but looks like Shueisha were set in stone to give it the TLR treatment in every sense of the word, if they even gave it the same producer as TLR xD. I don't know if that will end up paying off, if it at least boosts the manga sales in a big way, that would be great, let's hope Aniplex do their magic and promote it like crazy. As @iceemperor said, things might not work out but they also could work out. Now I wish I hadn't made that sacrifice joke. As I've said before, it all comes down to luck with adaptations.

The anime will honestly probably not boost manga sales much. Its a different type of genre, one that sells merchandise and BDs as opposed to manga volumes. For these series, standing out is crucial. While this PV tells us nothing about how the anime as a whole will look, the key visual's character design is too "generic". Miura's style was always like that but they upped this even further. This is why I think this is not the right decision, though I may be wrong. The fact that they're rushing this out when only 8 volumes have been released just doesn't bode well for me, especially when its a series from a niche genre. Usually, they'd wait a bit longer to get an anime out. I don't want to sacrifice any series for the sake of other series and honestly there is no such thing as sacrificing. Each series has different producers. All of them want to make money. Yuuna's anime has almost nothing to do with Kimetsu getting an anime.

Honestly, Kimetsu almost lucked out in this current era. In this era of jump, its possible for series to sell around 140k and get an anime whereas series like Mx0 were cancelled when they were selling similar amounts. In addition, Kimetsu wasn't a hit out of the gate. It took a while to catch on. Kimetsu, looking purely at sales, is not a series that will get an anime anytime soon. Even with that great growth, its still not able to do 100k in a week. I'm sure we can expect an announcement by 2019 Jump Festa but they really should wait that long. Even if you bring up WT, that was an anomaly that honestly shouldn't have happened until at least a year later.
Kimetsu is truly an interesting case of a success. Mx0 was in quite a different era though, maybe they thought they could afford to be more picky back then, right now we're in an era where a bunch of million selling series finished in like the same year and the majority of the magazine has manga that started after 2014. You're saying we shouldn't expect an anime anytime soon for Kimetsu, yet you say that we should expect an anime by Festa 2019, which is just a year away, so that's pretty soon. The announcement might come earlier, but we'll see, they might've not expected it to grow so much so they might have been caught off guard, which will delay an being made, but at the same time I feel like they really want to promote everything as quickly as possible since as I said, most of the magazine is new fresh stuff.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Amid the talk of sacrifices and Jump Festa, I just read the most recently translated chapter of Samon.... Why did it have to get cancelled?! I already know the rationale behind why it did, I just wish it didn't. U19 and Poro were quick flops, Marie also failed, and Cross Account and Shudan never really caught on. Basically, I would've liked Samon to be in the spot where Spring Weapon is right now, occupying the "how the heck is this still here for so long?" slot. Mostly just greed on my part since it lasted quite a while for a Jump series with non-stellar sales, but those episodic/non-serious chapters were usually really funny.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Amid the talk of sacrifices and Jump Festa, I just read the most recently translated chapter of Samon.... Why did it have to get cancelled?! I already know the rationale behind why it did, I just wish it didn't. U19 and Poro were quick flops, Marie also failed, and Cross Account and Shudan never really caught on. Basically, I would've liked Samon to be in the spot where Spring Weapon is right now, occupying the "how the heck is this still here for so long?" slot. Mostly just greed on my part since it lasted quite a while for a Jump series with non-stellar sales, but those episodic/non-serious chapters were usually really funny.
It got unlucky? I think the 6 new series initiative killed it together with Sesuji wo Pin! to, but I might be wrong.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
It got unlucky? I think the 6 new series initiative killed it together with Sesuji wo Pin! to, but I might be wrong.
Sesuji wo Pin ended the same week U19 (the second of the 6 new series) premiered, so that didn't really play a direct role, but the 6 new series initiative definitely did Samon in. I'd say Samon got lucky lasting as long as it did in the first place, but if I could've switched Samon being cut when the 6 series started to Spring Weapon, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't particularly mind Spring Weapon's existence, but I'd just rather see Samon as the series that "just can't die" instead of Spring Weapon.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Sesuji wo Pin ended the same week U19 (the second of the 6 new series) premiered, so that didn't really play a direct role, but the 6 new series initiative definitely did Samon in. I'd say Samon got lucky lasting as long as it did in the first place, but if I could've switched Samon being cut when the 6 series started to Spring Weapon, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't particularly mind Spring Weapon's existence, but I'd just rather see Samon as the series that "just can't die" instead of Spring Weapon.
I think it also didn't help that Samon never really took off despite being promoted quite a bit, but then I look at Spring Weapon and wonder what's their end game.

Mr.Fujimaster

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Probably must have been the bad rankings and the sales that did not grow anymore.
I may be wrong, but I think it was canceled for those reasons.
I really liked the manga, it's a shame it was canceled.
I even expected a possible announcement of a Samon anime.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it also didn't help that Samon never really took off despite being promoted quite a bit, but then I look at Spring Weapon and wonder what's their end game.
Yeah, I knew why they cancelled Samon, but seeing Spring Weapon survive the TOC shake-up instead is a bit of a shame. Realistically, both probably should've been axed based on sales, but since one survived after the dust settled, I wish it could've been Samon. Youth probably helped Spring Weapon since Samon already had more volumes out and Spring Weapon was new enough that it still could've turned things around for the better.
Probably must have been the bad rankings and the sales that did not grow anymore.
I may be wrong, but I think it was canceled for those reasons.
I really liked the manga, it's a shame it was canceled.
I even expected a possible announcement of a Samon anime.
True, it had a nice run for a Jump series with sales as low as it had, but I think Spring Weapon has been lower, so I wish Spring Weapon could've taken Samon's place on the chopping block back then. A Samon anime would've been so awesome, probably could've helped promote it to younger readers looking for something silly to watch/read. I partially thought a short couple minute anime adaptation might've been in Spring Weapon's future when I first saw it, but with those sales levels, I'd be shocked if that happened.

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think Jump is gonna try to push an anime to Dr.Stone earlier as possible, i think that will be just like World Trigger.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Jump is gonna try to push an anime to Dr.Stone earlier as possible, i think that will be just like World Trigger.
I was expecting it to be the next hinomaru, those dr stone designs are a turn off in the modern anime age.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Looking at the format of the series, it isn't impossible, it lends itself well to a long running format, but hopefully it manages to escape this kind of dangerous fate.

Mr.Fujimaster

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It may happen.
Something tells me that Toei is going to get Dr Stone.

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
When do you think it should have been announced, if you don't mind me asking?
Most recent Jump anime I've seen get announcements by around this time in their lifetime, TLR and Nisekoi even got theirs slightly earlier. Unless you're saying those series' anime were also rushed out. Considering Shueisha's delaying volume releases (1 vol every 3 months compared to other series releasing every other month), I don't know if that should be used as a way of saying it's being rushed out either.
Sales have stayed stagnant too for the manga, so Shueisha might feel that they should have the anime come now instead of later to try and boost them.

Status
Not open for further replies.