Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhi21

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 11, 2017
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Not exactly sure if I can post my question here, but it is sort of related to WSJ in a sense: Does anyone know how Rokudenashi Brooch is related to Rokudenashi Blues in a story standpoint? Thinking of Editing it while the current Manga Editors are doing the main series. Also, am curious to how many parts or chapters Brooch has to see if I can do it in one go or not. Thanks!
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
of the people that said neverland will flop because of its 7th week placement and after it did well the next week I figured out it's meaningless
Only a few ingredients in the manga are really expensive and that's A5 beef, goose fish liver, and the chicken from the Eizan battle.

Out of all the dishes shown, only a few are Haute Cuisne.

As for Yuki, she's more akin to Rachel Ray than say Gordon Ramsey or Wolfgang. But some of alumni from Tootsuki are Rachel Ray-esque chefs (Celebrity Chefs).

Want Azami wants to do is Monoplize the Japanese Restaurant industry. That's not really insane in concept, but would be really difficult to pull off in modern times.
That totally depends on where you are right now and your currency. The A5 beef for instance is expensive for brazillian standards, but you can pay less than 50 trumps in a round with a lot (and I mean a LOT) of it.

The goose fish liver is prohibited here if I'm not mistaken and what is the Aizan chicken again?

Also, the bear meat is not that expensive, but it's very very very difficult to find here since... Well, we don't have wild bears here. You need to go to very specific restaurants to taste it.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
And if you really want to compare villains.... Well, on one hand you have a raving psychopatic maniac who was clearly brainwashed while on the other hand, you have a sociopathic villain, but clearly shows a good semblance of rational thinking... Only to reveal to have some of the most nonsensical diabolical plans I've ever seen. Honestly, Azami looks straight out of a badly-written Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain. He's almost as bad as BC's villains from what I've seen from the examples shown here.
Is the issue that Azami is evil or his actual plans?
Because I may dont read SnS but even I know that one of his first depiction was him sitting of a mountain of skulls, therefore the idea that the mangaka intended him as evil should be obvious. And what I've got from reactions, people enjoy him as an über-evil villain, because his (early) depiction made him so threatening & vicious in a bloody manga about cooking(!).
But if it's about his plans... then I've got nothing there.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Like Leo says, they do have her as a consultant. BTW, you're a fan of Toriko right? While I'm not exactly a fan, I can definitely say Toriko is actually a better cooking manga. It's concept of high-fantasy cooking is most definitely something unique and in that regard, gives it more character as a cooking manga.
Toriko is better than Souma but I won't declare Toriko as a cooking manga since that is misleading. The cooking wasn't the main focus of the series. The focus was hunting the ingredients and eating it. Just seeing the characters eat and explain the taste of the ingredients was done better in Toriko since there was buildup to their reaction and most often it was a good pay off. Which is better than that cheap food reaction that Shokugeki provides via dialogue dumps or most of the time, "cheap fan-service". Both are food mangas and out of the two I'd say Toriko was better written.
Are you kidding?? It's practically DBZ-legendary as far as cooking mangas go. Go and read it NOW. You won't regret it. Another recommendation I'd make if you want a much more realistic view on cooking would be Bambino! Heck, the sequel's all wrapped up in my country to boot. I bought the volumes as soon as they took over the scans.

Another really good one is Nobunaga no Chef. Which, as you can guess is about Nobunaga's chef. The twist is said chef is a time-displaced modern day chef. The historical backdrop actually ties in seamlessly. To put in another way, it's the culinary counterpart to the manga Jin (the one about the doctor).
Looks like I found an anime to watch over the holidays. I've heard good reviews on the series so I'll get to it eventually. Thanks
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,410
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Only a few ingredients in the manga are really expensive and that's A5 beef, goose fish liver, and the chicken from the Eizan battle.

Out of all the dishes shown, only a few are Haute Cuisne.

As for Yuki, she's more akin to Rachel Ray than say Gordon Ramsey or Wolfgang. But some of alumni from Tootsuki are Rachel Ray-esque chefs (Celebrity Chefs).

Want Azami wants to do is Monoplize the Japanese Restaurant industry. That's not really insane in concept, but would be really difficult to pull off in modern times.
Monopolizing an entire industry is not implausible, but to do that all based on some crazy complex about his beloved senpai is what really makes me roll my eyes all the way back. The flashback might not be over yet, but I have a hard time believing it'll explain Azami's motivations neatly.

If we're talking about Rachel Ray, then the one who reflects her style the most isn't Soma but Megumi.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Toriko is better than Souma but I won't declare Toriko as a cooking manga since that is misleading. The cooking wasn't the main focus of the series. The focus was hunting the ingredients and eating it. Just seeing the characters eat and explain the taste of the ingredients was done better in Toriko since there was buildup to their reaction and most often it was a good pay off. Which is better than that cheap food reaction that Shokugeki provides via dialogue dumps or most of the time, "cheap fan-service". Both are food mangas and out of the two I'd say Toriko was better written.

Looks like I found an anime to watch over the holidays. I've heard good reviews on the series so I'll get to it eventually. Thanks
Yeah, I think it's more appropriate to label them as "food mangas" rather than cooking mangas when comparing the two.
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
That totally depends on where you are right now and your currency. The A5 beef for instance is expensive for brazillian standards, but you can pay less than 50 trumps in a round with a lot (and I mean a LOT) of it.

The goose fish liver is prohibited here if I'm not mistaken and what is the Aizan chicken again?

Also, the bear meat is not that expensive, but it's very very very difficult to find here since... Well, we don't have wild bears here. You need to go to very specific restaurants to taste it.
I live in California, most of the ingredients are readily available here save real A5 Wagyu and Satsuma Jidori. (Albeit American Prime Beef and California Chicken are good, cheaper alternatives).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Monopolizing an entire industry is not implausible, but to do that all based on some crazy complex about his beloved senpai is what really makes me roll my eyes all the way back. The flashback might not be over yet, but I have a hard time believing it'll explain Azami's motivations neatly.

If we're talking about Rachel Ray, then the one who reflects her style the most isn't Soma but Megumi.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Yeah, I think it's more appropriate to label them as "food mangas" rather than cooking mangas when comparing the two.
Soma would be like Guy Feiri if he were a celebrity chef. Going around and promoting local diner food. Although Rachel Ray had a series about eating under 40 dollars while traveling around the world.

@giathuan2707 My problem is the author created a really good friend rival with Soma then tossed him for Hayama/Ryou. It would've been better if Takumi was treated as the main rival throughout and Ryou/Alice/Hayama be the "enemy rival" in different arcs.

What has pulled this series weight, according to Japanese readership, is the Soma/Erina dynamic. That's why the only good ranked chapter during the recent fight was 186.
 
Last edited:

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is the issue that Azami is evil or his actual plans?
Because I may dont read SnS but even I know that one of his first depiction was him sitting of a mountain of skulls, therefore the idea that the mangaka intended him as evil should be obvious. And what I've got from reactions, people enjoy him as an über-evil villain, because his (early) depiction made him so threatening & vicious in a bloody manga about cooking(!).
But if it's about his plans... then I've got nothing there.
He himself is just a stereotypical "evil" guy, it's meant to be really obvious. The issue is that his plan is the stupidest thing I have ever read in WSJ or possibly any other magazine for that matter, and I've read early Black Clover.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Chapter 196 was just two editions ago, it is not ranked yet..
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
He himself is just a stereotypical "evil" guy, it's meant to be really obvious. The issue is that his plan is the stupidest thing I have ever read in WSJ or possibly any other magazine for that matter, and I've read early Black Clover.
I'm starting to pity Azami now because there are already 4~5 people saying the same thing. hahaha
I think I don't care about Azami's plan smartness level simply because I don't see better alternatives... How can you make an evil villain like Azami in the world of Shokugeki no Soma (our world for that matter) without being a bit exaggerated?
It reminds me Nanamine from Bakuman. hahahah
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
sudden realization

next week on viz, no One piece, no Boruto and no monthlies

so only 4 manga

and since Kimetsu is on the cover they will have to make up their own cover
That is insanely ridiculous. Its been pretty obvious it would turn out like this for a while, and Haikyuu and Yaiba are the only two series they can really pick up. Now they've waited so long on Yaiba it will be a pain for them to catch up, and after 6 months of Haikyuu releases they're still only 1/4 through the series, so that won't be happening anytime soon either.
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Chapter 196 was just two editions ago, it is not ranked yet..
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm starting to pity Azami now because there are already 4~5 people saying the same thing. hahaha
I think I don't care about Azami's plan smartness level simply because I don't see better alternatives... How can you make an evil villain like Azami in the world of Shokugeki no Soma (our world for that matter) without being a bit exaggerated?
It reminds me Nanamine from Bakuman. hahahah
`
I meant 186 lol.

Azami feels a bit...shallow. I was hoping he was manipulative and crafty, like coerce more of Soma's friends to his side.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Chapter 186 was the best chapter of Hayama vs. Souma shokugeki arc, which was not that good for a variety of reasons. I liked the previous challenges in Hokkaido more...
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
VIZ really should pick up Kimetsu no Yaiba, that way I would be willing to read it. I always find time to read ESJ between my Japanese readings and novel readings, but I'm far behind in the series that there are only scans...
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of KnY, I just got caught up from the early 20's, and holy shit, this series is legitimately great. Now I can see why the fans are frustrated by it's lack of popularity.
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
I didnt read that much of KnY , 2 chapters or 3, the story is cool and the Art is unique but I didnt like the MC reaction when the disaster happened . I'm thinking about catching up to the current chapters but I'm so lazy xD
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I didnt read that much of KnY , 2 chapters or 3, the story is cool and the Art is unique but I didnt like the MC reaction when the disaster happened . I'm thinking about catching up to the current chapters but I'm so lazy xD
You really can't judge the series by the first 3 chapters. It's almost like a completely different series, even.
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
You really can't judge the series by the first 3 chapters. It's almost like a completely different series, even.
Yea I know , but my early judgment is positive , if I judged every series by its first chapters I dont think that I would've liked Reborn! , Bleach , Toriko and Psyren .
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia

from @yonkouprod
Its not even been a year yet and you can already see how much Gotouge has progressed as an artist by comparing it to the first cover. It looks awesome!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top