Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I seriously think he came up with the "Vice Captain" at that exact moment.
The whole interview just reinforced the idea that he's an incompetent man child in his 30's with very limited intellectual and creative abilities.
He even his editor has to fucking guide him along and do most of his work for him in writing that laughable attempt at a narrative.

Really neat about Gotoge being a woman! It's really so obvious now that I'm aware of it.
"Hungry Joker flopped which means people didn't like Haiji, which means people don't like the silent type so I'm gonna make the mc of my next work a happy-go-lucky type"

this whole process of thinking make me cringe at how simple minded he's

Even so, I'm impressed that he can draw that kind of art (like the water dragon of Noelle) without being a RPG fan.
he might not be an rpg fan but he's a fan of other games, he likes manga and anime and he's Japanese
I'm pretty sure he saw a dragon before

Quick question. After skimming through the forums for a bit its pretty obvious a lot of people here don't have the highest opinion of Black Clover. Not saying those positions are unjustified. But if it came out in another era do you think it would be better received?

I guess this question also relates to the issues series like Dragon Ball Z and older series have to face when presented to a modern audience.
I think the early parts of dbz will work in any time era it's just so lightheared and fun and the later fighting parts would work too because the people are invested in Goku

Regarding BC, there are many battle shonen like it in the past that tried and failed to get a good reception
just some magic dude yelling and hitting stuff with his giant sword, it brings nothing new to the table, i don't see why people will get attached to it and have a special place in their hearts
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Quoting a post from ages ago just to say a simple thing. XD
you're right, I jumped the gun with my ending speculations, sorry

in other news

The nominees for this year's Manga Taishou has announced (credit to kaizou_10):

- Aoashi (by Kobayashi Yuugo and Ueno Naohiko (cooperation)) from Big Comic Spirits
- Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san (by Yamamoto Souichirou) from Gessan
- Kin no Kuni Mizu no Kuni (by Iwamoto Nao) from Monthly Flowers
- Kuutei Dragons (by Kuwabara Taku) from Good! Afternoon
- Golden Gold (by Horio Seita) from Monthly Morning Two
- Dungeon Meshi (by Kui Ryouko) from Haruta
- Tokyo Tarareba Musume (by Higashimura Akiko) from Kiss
- Nami yo Kiitekure (by Samura Hiroaki) from Monthly Afternoon
- Hi Score Girl (by Oshikiri Rensuke) from Monthly Big Gangan
- Hibiki〜Shousetsuka ni Naru Houhou〜 (by Yanagimoto Mitsuharu) from Big Comic Superior
- Fire Punch (by Fujimoto Tatsuki) from Shounen Jump+
- Yakusoku no Neverland (by Shirai Kaiu (story) and Demizu Posuka (artwork)) from Weekly Shounen Jump
- Watashi no Shounen (by Takano Hitomi) from Monthly Action

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/217887


last year Golden Kamuy got a huge increase in sale from winning this award, Neverland can use this
I'm rooting for Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san. Sorry The Promised Neverland.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Quick question. After skimming through the forums for a bit its pretty obvious a lot of people here don't have the highest opinion of Black Clover. Not saying those positions are unjustified. But if it came out in another era do you think it would be better received?

I guess this question also relates to the issues series like Dragon Ball Z and older series have to face when presented to a modern audience.
No, those manga still had a certain level of charm or uniqueness lacking from Black Clover.
Saint Seiya as flawed as it was had the really neat psychedelic vibes, and some incredible panel work, and some of ther most well written fights in battle manga.

Tabata does not have a personality therefore his series is not memorable. Tabata was just lucky to his series launched when it did. It benefitted from timing.

Golem Hearts is a great thing to bring up. Arguably just as generic as Black Clover, but it has so much charm, and you can tell the mangaka has really thought his world and characters through. It feels like a well crafted homage rather than a plageristic hack job and that is due to the quality of the writer.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Although I did feel that the characte designs in Golemy Hearts were bland and forgettable.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
"Hungry Joker flopped which means people didn't like Haiji, which means people don't like the silent type so I'm gonna make the mc of my next work a happy-go-lucky type"

this whole process of thinking make me cringe at how simple minded he's
I'm fairly sure what he meant was that he isn't capable of pulling off a character like Haiji in any interesting way, not that he thinks people don't like characters like that. What that part confirmed for me, was that Black Clover really is a series born out of a lack of confidence in his own writing ability. This interview really explains why the series is so all over the place... it's because it reflects Tabata. Not that it was hard to tell that he basically writes it week-by-week.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Still impressed with the Dragon. It's way better than the Fairy Tail and Dragon Ball one's.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm gonna read the interview when I read the magazine. I normally don't read them because they are boring most of the time, but this one provoked so much conversation that I'm curious. However, by what I read in the last posts, Tabata revealed his secrets? XD
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
No, those manga still had a certain level of charm or uniqueness lacking from Black Clover.
Saint Seiya as flawed as it was had the really neat psychedelic vibes, and some incredible panel work, and some of ther most well written fights in battle manga.

Tabata does not have a personality therefore his series is not memorable. Tabata was just lucky to his series launched when it did. It benefitted from timing.

Golem Hearts is a great thing to bring up. Arguably just as generic as Black Clover, but it has so much charm, and you can tell the mangaka has really thought his world and characters through. It feels like a well crafted homage rather than a plageristic hack job and that is due to the quality of the writer.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Although I did feel that the characte designs in Golemy Hearts were bland and forgettable.
I agree. I think they should have the mangaka polish it for another couple of years before they serialize it.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I agree. I think they should have the mangaka polish it for another couple of years before they serialize it.
It is not possible, the only way to know if it is going to make success or not is throwing it to the lions (aka readers XD). The editors do think that that series is good and deserve serialization. We don't know what happens inside a publisher, probably there were series the editors thought it was perfect and it flopped... Editors are specialists AND because of this, they are far from the readers... That's frustrating for them, I think. XD
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But Black Clover has to have some kind of appeal to a Japanese audience because it has good sales and ranks fairly high
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Never knew we had to put spoilers for comments on released chapters. I edited it but I've talked about demon plan too and nobody said anything. Must be cause it's demon's plan
There's some guidelines about spoilers (long story short just use spoiler tags for talking about new chapters because not everyone is able to read stuff the second its released), I just don't read Demon's Plan personally because I think it's crap so I have no idea what's actually a spoiler for that.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
It is not possible, the only way to know if it is going to make success or not is throwing it to the lions (aka readers XD). The editors do think that that series is good and deserve serialization. We don't know what happens inside a publisher, probably there were series the editors thought it was perfect and it flopped... Editors are specialists AND because of this, they are far from the readers... That's frustrating for them, I think. XD
Even from a technical perspective, there is clearly some kinks to be worked out in the artwork. The story's fine, though. The best way for new mangakas to polish their art is to work as an assistant. Any thoughts on which mangaka he'll really benefit from working with to improve his art?
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I agree, that was an inconsiderate thing of him to do. Why aren't you reading it, if you don't mind me asking?
Just because. Guess I'll let the chapters pile up and then I'll star reading.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
For the first time Japanese readers get it right at the polls.
They are completely right.
Hunter x Hunter stays more in hiatus than publishing, so it cannot be the cover of the magazine.
My Hero Academia will not become the success you guys expect with the second season of the anime, no matter what you say.
The rest is not even worth mentioning.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I feel like Haikyuu and HxH shouldn't be included on this poll though as HxH is as old as One Piece despite its hiatuses, and Haikyuu is pretty much already leading this generation.

I'd say the obvious answers are MHA, The Promised Neverland, and Black Clover(in no order)
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I never knew readers decide it, I thought it would be the editors.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
I'm not entirely sure what to make of the polls. Though I would like to know what kind of sample is considered "large" for a poll of this nature?

Frankly I'm surprised to see how well Academia did compared to number 1 and 2. Especially considering Academia is still considered relatively "young" and the other two series are sales giants in their own right.

Also regarding the nature of the poll it just makes more sense for the series with greater "seniority" to top the polls. Hunter x Hunter has quite a bit of history to it and Haikyuu has about 4-5 years to build up a decent fan base.

If nothing else I'm even more surprised how Haikyuu managed to top Hunter x Hunter of all things/
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm shocked by how mediocre Manga Reddit finds the Golem Hearts one shot. Seems like something they'd like.

I was floored or anything, but I thought it was a really good one shot
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top