Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
When it comes to ranking, yes, it was as bad as Medaka Box. Let me explain again, we are talking about rankings here, NUMBERS, not which one was the best series plotwise or anything. We are talking plain and simple numbers. If you deny that, you just don't know how to read numbers.
Yes, i'm talking about numbers... Kuroko sells (even today with its spin offs and stuff) much more than medaka box EVER did. In fact it sells more than current serialized series.

What da hell are you talking about? You think the series is bad... It's ok to point that it's toc rankings were also bad... But the comparison stops there (if you wanna use facts). Success (with money) related Kuroko is WAAAAY bigger than pretty much the majority of Shounen Jump series.

And the fun part is... You know that lol.

Again, it's toc positions DIDN'T MATTER. It's about to receive a movie lol.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You're correct, the animation company offers it to create another product, but the manga company accept to promote the first one, not because they are "good guys" =)

It's that obvious.
I think your a bit misguided in your think. The animation company has to buy the rights to make the anime from the company and also pay royalties to the author(s) when the anime makes money. It's just good business sense to promote it since to the magazine it's just a long commercial for the series, other then that their not obligated to promote the anime of the series.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
The studio offers, but the publisher accepts it. It must be a mutually beneficial relationship and if the proposal is not good, the publisher can and will refuse it. We don't have information about this, but it is sure happens. Since we are talking about Jump and Shueisha, it is obvious that we ara going to talk about the publisher aspect of the thing. The ones who decide such things is the publisher, they are the ones who make sure the proposal is good AND the series is ready for an anime, therefore, they give it the chance.
Studio offers nothing. The producer is the one that brings the work to the studio. The producer(s) from the various committee members, including Shueisha or another publisher, then decide on the various aspects of the production in order to make it the best possible work. While the creator has the final say, the actual product may vary quite a bit from the original work due to the various other influences. This is whats being sold. Making the series more popular is definitely one of the reasons for an anime but there are series like Kekkai Sensen that don't break 200k lots of times but was still a huge success for the production committee.

Obviously the publisher accepts the proposal for the work but that's rarely from the studio itself. I remember Minami from Bones said that for special power series, Bones is the best. That doesn't mean that Bones was their first choice. It means that many other studios were considered.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
@Leoat12 You should take a look at the TOC again. KnB's ranking before the anime jump around. It sells alright before the anime too (150k~200k) if I remember correctly.

It went to bottom 5 and got jumped back to the middle position 4 months before the anime. Given that the anime proposal and the production is made in advance, there is no way they will cancel it around this period (Nov 2011-April 2012)

After the anime and with the success, Shuiesha promoted the hell out of it. It got to top 5 and stayed there for a lots of issues (Around Oct 2012 to 2013).
 

Lehran

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
362
Reaction score
493
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Kuroko no Basket was in its last breaths, it was already at the bottom for so long... They gave it a last try and boom... We know that fujoishi don't ask much to swarm to a series like a bunch of bees. XD
I think you're exaggerating a bit when you say it was in its "last breaths" just before the anime. It was ranking poorly but there were always series that did worse than it. And it sold well before the anime aired (its sales weren't excellent but weren't bad either). I don't think Kuroko's survival was unfair. But I agree that it could be in risk in the long term if the fujoshis had not come to its rescue and made it a huge hit.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I won't debate over this stuff anymore. I pretty much made my point and now it's proved that when I bash people's "loved series" they freak their minds, but when somebody does the same its "ok" (if it's not MHA obviously)

Off topic: Nanatsu this week will be only 7 pages long. Terra Formars is also on hiatus. There's no date for Hxh or WT to come back. Horikoshi just got sick.

Really, what's hapenning? o.o
 

Lehran

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
362
Reaction score
493
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Right... Kuroko was "bad" like Medaka... Greatest comparison EVER.
Sometimes you say "good" and "bad" sales-wise and sometimes quality-wise, so it's hard to know what you're talking about when you use those words. For example, I don't know what you're talking about in the quoted comment.

He pretty much wants to bash the series (I don't know why). That's exactly why I said a few pages ago why MHA fans are so based about their own preferences and attack everybody that thinks otherwise.
Nobody even mentioned Hero Academia, you're starting to look paranoid.
And he just stated his opinion and you got upset, not the other way around.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Off topic: Nanatsu this week will be only 7 pages long. Terra Formars is also on hiatus. There's no date for Hxh or WT to come back. Horikoshi just got sick.

Really, what's hapenning? o.o
As I said in the other page. It's the Nintendo Switch-syndome

Next week will be Tadahiro and Saeki/Tsukuda.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Sometimes you say "good" and "bad" sales-wise and sometimes quality-wise, so it's hard to know what you're talking about when you use those words.



Nobody even mentioned Hero Academia, you're starting to look paranoid.
And he just stated his opinion and you got upset, not the other way around.
Nono... Sales wise I'm not using my opinion... I'm merely saying it's "irrelevant" because it does not sell. It's not even my opinion if they are good or bad.

I'm not dude. I'm merely using it as an example because when I did the same a few pages ago, people LOST it, they clearly LOST it.

I'm no upset at all, in fact I'm laughing right now how hypocrite people are :p
 
Last edited:

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I won't debate over this stuff anymore. I pretty much made my point and now it's proved that when I bash people's "loved series" they freak their minds, but when somebody does the same its "ok" (if it's not MHA obviously)

Off topic: Nanatsu this week will be only 7 pages long. Terra Formars is also on hiatus. There's no date for Hxh or WT to come back. Horikoshi just got sick.

Really, what's hapenning? o.o
For Horikoshi it's possible the beginning's of over working, though if it is then it doesn't look good for the future of the series.

Is Nanatsu monthly, not that excuses the limited pages this just wondering I want to read it?
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
For Horikoshi it's possible the beginning's of over working, though if it is then it doesn't look good for the future of the series.

Is Nanatsu monthly, not that excuses the limited pages this just wondering I want to read it?
It's weekly. Nanatsu is published in the same magazine of Fairy Tail, Hajime no Ippo, Fuuka, etc. The Shounen Magazine. Jump's biggest rival. Shounen Magazine in fact is older than the weekly JUMP.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I was intending to talk about its popularity when I posted that pic about all the cancelled manga from few years ago but I forgot

Fire Punch was also trending after its first chapter so if BLue :whistleFlag manages to keep it momentum going it might be a hit

I'm glad for Kaito, although I'm wondering why did she insist on writing sport series all this time when her strength is clearly romance
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I was intending to talk about its popularity when I posted that pic about all the cancelled manga from few years ago but I forgot

Fire Punch was also trending after its first chapter so if BLue :whistleFlag manages to keep it momentum going it might be a hit

I'm glad for Kaito, although I'm wondering why did she insist on writing sport series all this time when her strength is clearly romance
Maybe she doesn't want to take it for granted and try different stuff.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Just laughing of the outcome of the discussion... Well, history will not change and discuss even further will become repetitive. Let it go...

KAITO is curious... I think it is the author that is most famous around here despite having no accomplishments whatsoever. Why she(?) is appealing for you guys?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
even tho it flopped, people really liked Cross Manage

it got licensed and gained a cult following in the west
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hmm... I read the one-shot, gave 7 and I fail to remember why... Probably didn't pick the series after that because of this...
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I think people like Cross Manage because of the "sport". It's not the usual basketball ,soccer ,baseball. It's lacrosse.

I also think it would be much more interesting if the entire cast is male instead of a female lacrosse. It was pretty meh when I read it. I do know lacrosse's rule and I watched a few games here and there.

Still waiting for an outstanding hockey manga. :yaha
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I may not remember why the score, but I do remember that the fact it was a female team was what caught my attention at first. It is an interesting although it doesn't resonate much to a shounen magazine public.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top