Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I just want a reason for the survival of Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie besides nonsensical and/or generic things like "because it is amazing" or "because it is made by veterans".
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Do you really need more reason than that though? If a writer has a previous series people liked then obviously they'll want their next one to succeed, they know what they're capable of in the long term and know they'll probably enjoy it a lot.

It can go the other way too pretty easily, personally I like seeing newbies succeed because I want to see what kind of series they'll make once they get settled in and find their style.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Do you really need more reason than that though? If a writer has a previous series people liked then obviously they'll want their next one to succeed, they know what they're capable of in the long term and know they'll probably enjoy it a lot.

It can go the other way too pretty easily, personally I like seeing newbies succeed because I want to see what kind of series they'll make once they get settled in and find their style.
It is not how it should happen, you have to root for an author, of course, but you also have to be honest and serious about that. If you don't have a reason to like the series it is just plain blind fanaticism. I know why I like things, independently of who is writing, just for the plot and the story itself.
A little of experience helps, but it doesn't help as much as you guys think. It is a completely different series, it is new for the author as well no matter how much experience he has. You know that editors, for example, have a lot of experience in mangas, but they fail more than that get it right, so...

I will never accept people underestimating new authors when there is Eichiro Oda in the magazine. He is with One Piece for more than 15 years so people tends to forget that One Piece is still his first series!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Read some series from ESJ today, more precisely Boruto, TPN and One Piece.
This recent chapter of Naruto reminded me of the old days of Naruto so it was a good one IMO, in general the series is sympathetic... The last arc was a mess though. XD
TPN and One Piece can be described with one phrase: "the shit is hitting the fan" in a good way. XD
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The two new series I'm looking forward too are Hungry Marie (Because of chapter 5) and Robot x Laserbeam (end of chapter 3), and no i'm not from the Venerate Veterans club.

The other two current translated series We Never Learn/Dr Stone I am currently reading because they are being translated. I've already stated the reasons for both series. Poro looks kinda interested from the raw.
Come on, we know you are already venerating.

I just want a reason for the survival of Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie besides nonsensical and/or generic things like "because it is amazing" or "because it is made by veterans".
Dr. Stone will survive because it's a way to make boichi out of the competion haha. Just kidding.

I don't have a good argument... Just think they are better than the 3 other series. I still like Poro better than Hungry Marie though.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I just want a reason for the survival of Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie besides nonsensical and/or generic things like "because it is amazing" or "because it is made by veterans".
Since you bring up Hungry Marie.

It's because I look forward to the next chapter. It's the same feeling when I first followed Shokugeki, Assassination Classroom and the more recent Yuragi/Neverland since chapter 1.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yes this is something clearly different than Beelzebub. Tamura this time is taking his time to build the story.

The problem is that nobody is understanding anything haha.

Marie Therese Charlotte is a plot so random that there is imposible to conceive.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It looks like one more example of a series that people like solely because it is crazy and doesn't make any sense at all. XD
Well... I stop discussing, Jump readers will make their voice be heard, one way or the other.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yakusoku no Neverland : 3 volumes : 500 000.
I'm guessing that's print, and not sold.

In the author comments, the writer said this:



I'm wondering if that'll increase the sales somehow.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It looks like one more example of a series that people like solely because it is crazy and doesn't make any sense at all. XD
Well... I stop discussing, Jump readers will make their voice be heard, one way or the other.
Like Nisekoi?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm guessing that's print, and not sold.

In the author comments, the writer said this:



I'm wondering if that'll increase the sales somehow.
It is print, Heiji never said that it was sales. You've never seen this pattern?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It is print, Heiji never said that it was sales. You've never seen this pattern?
I have, which is why I said I guessed print. It would be nice to know where the actual sales are, though.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I just want a reason for the survival of Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie besides nonsensical and/or generic things like "because it is amazing" or "because it is made by veterans".
Doesn't need a reason besides enjoyment. Weird coming from the guy who likes Nisekoi, you should know this best. Same can be said for Black Clover.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Doesn't need a reason besides enjoyment. Weird coming from the guy who likes Nisekoi, you should know this best. Same can be said for Black Clover.
Finally some sense on this thread. Thank you, sir.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I have, which is why I said I guessed print. It would be nice to know where the actual sales are, though.
~100k each volumes are what they are chart on Oricon. I would assume around ~120k to 150k (when the numbers are too low to chart) for volume 1 and volume 2.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Doesn't need a reason besides enjoyment. Weird coming from the guy who likes Nisekoi, you should know this best. Same can be said for Black Clover.
You have no idea why I like Nisekoi and yet you say such a thing. Hint: it is not only enjoyment, I NEVER like something just because of enjoyment.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You have no idea why I like Nisekoi and yet you say such a thing. Hint: it is not only enjoyment, I NEVER like something just because of enjoyment.
It doesn't matter why you liked it... It IS your personal enjoyment haha.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah, it is hard to make anybody here critical and analytical about what they read. I give up. Stay with your "it is my taste and taste cannot be discussed" thing.
I will be waiting for the reason Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie will survive besides "it is amazing" and "it is made by veterans" until their funerals, which I bet are not far.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah, it is hard to make anybody here critical and analytical about what they read. I give up. Stay with your "it is my taste and taste cannot be discussed" thing.
I will be waiting for the reason Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie will survive besides "it is amazing" and "it is made by veterans" until their funerals, which I bet are not far.
You don't have to receive an explanation at all. Just wait till they survive in a couple of weeks.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Dr. Stone wasn not even that terrible in chapter 3 so it can really survive for all I care, but Hungry Marie is boring, repetitive and doesn't make any sense at all! Hungry Marie survival is unacceptable and an offense to the series that currently running and all the series before that, many of them had more potential (it is not hard to have more potential than that trash) and was still cancelled. It is offensive to Beelzebub, which was at least funny sometimes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top