Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
That's an oversimplification. While, this case may also be an oversimplification, Koro-sensei came from a series named "Assassination Classroom". The title is an immediate contrast to the character itself. Lycopene on the other hand, has this kind of art:

From the one shot:


Actual panels from the oneshot:
I remembered Cowa, from Toriyama.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Golem Hearts will save us. Just gotta keep speaking it into existence that'll it'll be the next great one.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I'm just mad that the new serialization that I care the most about (Golem Hearts) is the last one to come. If Golem Hearts was the first one, I wouldn't care at all about the tomato dog.
 

Wellington Balduino

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 17, 2017
Messages
9
Reaction score
6
Age
31
Country
Brazil
After a while, those who sell most have returned to the top of the toc.

Isobe's important announcement may be that it is ending, thus Spring Weapon or even Tomatoypoo, replacing it at the close of the toc's.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Yeh, I don't think Lycopene is that odd for Jump, it's just no series like it have been serialised in recent years so people aren't used to it. Stuff like that was common as mud in the 80s and 90s. Most recent one is probably the authors last work Inumarudashi as someone mentioned above, surviving for 4 years until 2012 which isn't that long ago.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
about Golem Hearts, keep your exceptions low people, this is Jump
1-the oneshot might be cool but the series could be shit, we had tons of examples on this, Goblin Knight being the most famous example
2-even if it is good it could be axed in 12 weeks, someone just posted an article about Jump being extra harsh to rookies on purpose the other day
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm hip. Still I kinda have a little faith in this one. It's only getting serialized with some goofy manga that doesn't look like it'll last long plus Cross Acct is gonna get dropped soon so maybe the EiC will give it longer than 12 weeks. If this was serialized within the Jump 6 from earlier in the year I would keep my expectations basement-level but they're like front door level for this one.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
People talking about Inumarudashi as if it was a really big success, but it was not, it was always in the lower part and I actually never understood what it was doing in the magazine. Now I understand a little better what the editors try to put off. They really like weird series, those are the ones that receive more push, they stay the longest in the magazine despite selling like crap.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow the amount of cringe is something else. Speaking of MHA anyone else saw Sawyers video on it?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Wow the amount of cringe is something else. Speaking of MHA anyone else saw Sawyers video on it?
Just watched it and it felt like its he was really struggling and grasping for straws with his criticisms
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I think he makes really solid points.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
he says he watched it until 4 episodes, then he dropped it for a year and then rewatched until the Deku vs Todoroki fight

also he admitted of never reading the manga

and he thinks that's enough for him to make a review about the entire franchise, not only that he went after the fans and tried sneakingly passing "I've better taste than the people that like this"

so yeah, it's the typical youtube shitty "reviews"

although I admit his rants about Mienta is what we all thinks

it's just so weird knowing he have high standards for anime, when he's the same guy that masturbate to DB Super every week
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think everyone is a good writer it just come down to taste. hell all of you are good writers as well. manga authors are human just like us they dreamt of becoming mangaka they accomplished what we couldn't. I don't criticize because I have accomplish nothing so why would they listen to me think about that. the world lost its humanity too much IQ too Little Emotion. I actually sympathize with author, all they want is to bring smiles. When I read a manga I like Do I care about writing HELL NO I use my imagination not stupid logic Mammo and others know Which authors I like. I love their manga because I love artsyle and want to support them. If I wanted good writing I would use my imagination tell the story the way I want it. Bottom No one in this world is a bad writer, People just don't like some ways they tell the story. Lets be grateful we live in a world where manga and anime existed. Don't take life seriously enjoy it to the fullest.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
The comments section is where it's at :derp. People are jumping in like crazy.

I don't see anything wrong with it? He just express his opinions on why he doesn't like it. I don't necessarily have to agree or disagree with it. Sounds like a typical Youtuber Reviews. Although some of the stuffs he said make it sounds like MHA is plagiarizing other manga/media.

I seriously thought it will be something juicy, now i want my 11:36 minutes back. The WSJ videos awhile back were more entertaining.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
It's more so that, while MHA does take inspiration from Naruto and other Shonen, he acts like he's above Shonen troupes and that these troupes haven't been a troupe in a Jump series for years.

I read Jump because I enjoy these troupes in my manga. I go into a lot of series expecting things like "the rival character" or childhood friend.
It's all about the execution of the characters and story.
Other than being an outcast, Deku doesn't share many similarities with Naruto as a character. And other than fitting into the rival role, Bakugo has no similarities to Sasuke.

I also thought comparing Deku to Batman was a huge reach.
He's comparing a 4-14 year old kid being crushed that his dreams were crushed to a grown 40 year old man who's had years of crime fighting experience and coping. I'm assuming he's referring to modern Batman at least since he does t reference Bruce's troubled teen years acting out.

It just seems like he personally just doesn't like Deku type characters(nerdy, crying timid character).
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just the same stock criticisms I've seen from most contrarian youtube critics who never actually attack the manga for its legit flaws and go straight to the Naruto comparisons and the "its generic" BS. Nothing to see here. Curse whoever made that stupid Naruto farewell comic but at least Shuiesha didn't take the bait.
I think he makes really solid points.
Of course you do:-_-
he says he watched it until 4 episodes, then he dropped it for a year and then rewatched until the Deku vs Todoroki fight

also he admitted of never reading the manga

and he thinks that's enough for him to make a review about the entire franchise, not only that he went after the fans and tried sneakingly passing "I've better taste than the people that like this"

so yeah, it's the typical youtube shitty "reviews"

although I admit his rants about Mienta is what we all thinks

it's just so weird knowing he have high standards for anime, when he's the same guy that masturbate to DB Super every week
Yeah that's what makes it all the more funny. DBS is closing GT levels of infamy among the fandom and he's praising it like the second coming.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top