Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 669 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceemperor

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
It's not that much different to when the manga first started in my opinion it wasn't much cared for at first but people actually started reading it regardless and it's be come at least a little popular with people same thing will most likely happen here given time. This also kind of ties back around to the TOC but if it wasn't at least popular enough to be around the top 5 spot it wouldn't have gotten the anime in the first place.
The difference is that a manga chapter can be read in 5 minutes whereas you have to sit through a 24 min episode. You can speed it up but even at 2x its still 12 min along with that poorly directed voice. A lot of people, both in Japan and the west are giving it time, waiting to see the main story and battles before making any judgements. I won't say it won't become popular but right now, its lukewarm at best in Japan. Backlog sales are slowly rising, selling a few thousand copes per week so its not like its doing nothing unlike Soma which is not moving any previous volumes other than Volumes 24 and 25.

TOC is only really a factor to stay in the magazine. Sumou has good rankings, being usually in the middle and going to the top 5 once in a while, but Yuragi has gotten a stage at Jump Festa while Sumou which has been going on almost 2 years longer than Yuragi has yet to get a stage. TOC by itself isn't enough to say a series will get an anime. Sumou is basically ripe for a daytime anime on NHK's Saturday evening E-Tele 5:35PM slot, which aired Rinne until this season yet an anime isn't in sight even with a "Part 2" running in the magazine right now.

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
RobotxLaserbeam #1 still in the top 200 in the shoseki ranking.

Not bad, i'm sure the next volume will sell even better.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
The difference is that a manga chapter can be read in 5 minutes whereas you have to sit through a 24 min episode. You can speed it up but even at 2x its still 12 min along with that poorly directed voice. A lot of people, both in Japan and the west are giving it time, waiting to see the main story and battles before making any judgements. I won't say it won't become popular but right now, its lukewarm at best in Japan. Backlog sales are slowly rising, selling a few thousand copes per week so its not like its doing nothing unlike Soma which is not moving any previous volumes other than Volumes 24 and 25.

TOC is only really a factor to stay in the magazine. Sumou has good rankings, being usually in the middle and going to the top 5 once in a while, but Yuragi has gotten a stage at Jump Festa while Sumou which has been going on almost 2 years longer than Yuragi has yet to get a stage. TOC by itself isn't enough to say a series will get an anime. Sumou is basically ripe for a daytime anime on NHK's Saturday evening E-Tele 5:35PM slot, which aired Rinne until this season yet an anime isn't in sight even with a "Part 2" running in the magazine right now.
Are Japanese audiences getting genre fatigue with battle shonen?

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States

I'd say lukewarm feeling in japan is still considerable better then the cold shoulder that some people in the west seem to be giving it. It's still good that the sales are rising so long as that is happening then I'd consider the anime a success, I can see Shounen Jump thinking that way as long as it's sales still increase then its a success. Other then volumes does black clover have any other merchandise out yet?

Yeah I know it isn't the only thing that factors into it getting an anime, but in my opinion it's one of the factor that is held in a pretty high regard. I think the reason that Sumou hasn't gotten an anime, as of yet, is that the two of the three factors that could lead to an anime aren't being met those being: first popularity as a title which it has, second merchandising possibilities outside of the manga volumes, and third positive focus group thoughts on the idea of an anime. It has the popularity as a shounen jump title that sells fairly well as well as ranks pretty good, but outside of volumes what type of merchandise are people willing to buy in regards to Sumou (toys, apperral?) also the focus group of people who've never read the manga's thoughts on Sumou's premise would it be popular with them also?

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Are Japanese audiences getting genre fatigue with battle shonen?
Considering Jump hasn't given up its "Hard Work, Friendship, Victory" brand, they're not getting fatigue. It they are tired, they probably stop reading Jump altogether after a while though in recent years even 40 year olds continue reading jump. There are also people that don't want mangaka to try new things and basically want mangaka to write stories that stick to shounen formula. One guy called Heroaca's current arc trash and said Shonen manga should basically be the MC growing stronger and defeat his opponents left and right have plot points that end with the reader feeling refreshed.

I'd say lukewarm feeling in japan is still considerable better then the cold shoulder that some people in the west seem to be giving it. It's still good that the sales are rising so long as that is happening then I'd consider the anime a success, I can see Shounen Jump thinking that way as long as it's sales still increase then its a success. Other then volumes does black clover have any other merchandise out yet?

Yeah I know it isn't the only thing that factors into it getting an anime, but in my opinion it's one of the factor that is held in a pretty high regard. I think the reason that Sumou hasn't gotten an anime, as of yet, is that the two of the three factors that could lead to an anime aren't being met those being: first popularity as a title which it has, second merchandising possibilities outside of the manga volumes, and third positive focus group thoughts on the idea of an anime. It has the popularity as a shounen jump title that sells fairly well as well as ranks pretty good, but outside of volumes what type of merchandise are people willing to buy in regards to Sumou (toys, apperral?) also the focus group of people who've never read the manga's thoughts on Sumou's premise would it be popular with them also?
BC has an upcoming card arcade game and Ichiban Kuji's are either ongoing right now or are set to start next month. We don't get any sales figures for the arcade game and Ichiban Kuji, though you will find people on twitter saying the Ichiban Kuji is sold out. I have yet to see that though for BC.

Merchandise-wise, toys and the like aren't really put out first. Most series start with stuff like Key chains, Stickers, Prints and the like. Heroaca to this day still doesn't have an All Might figure, the type you see of Superman, even though there are indications that kids also buy merchandise and play the arcade game. They still keep putting out new acrylic stands, prints and gachas, which sell well, but no figures aside from the Deku and Bakugou Nendoroids and Figmas. If Sumou catches on, merchandising is not a problem as even Tokyo Ghoul has merchandise.

I don't really understand your third factor though. The point of the anime is to get it out into the world, outside of people that don't read the series or maybe manga in general and make them interested in Sumou. Seeing that its lasted this long, it has every chance to be popular.

Last edited:

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
yay, giant mechas return to Jump

I can't even remember what was the last one, friggin' Jumbor? that was 10 years ago

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Latest Black Clover chapter was really great. It will earn the top ranking.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not that much different to when the manga first started in my opinion it wasn't much cared for at first but people actually started reading it regardless and it's be come at least a little popular with people same thing will most likely happen here given time. This also kind of ties back around to the TOC but if it wasn't at least popular enough to be around the top 5 spot it wouldn't have gotten the anime in the first place.
Nothing that's being said about the anime of Black Clover is any different from what was said about it 3 years ago when it first started and if people don't like the series in the beginning they're not going to change their mine (or even stick around) down the pipeline. It just goes to show that ToC doesn't dictate how audience reception will be once a series gets adapted.

Last edited:

TM2

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
On the subject on the popularity of the series. What about fanart? I'd like to think that the reception of a series has a strong correlation with the amount of fan art it inspires. Its not a solid way to gauge things but even a quick search can give some indication on how well received some series are. At least to a casual viewer.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the problem with BC so far regarding the polarizing reaction from social media of west fandoms is that Asta and Yuno aren't strong characters, by theirselves or together. While the friendly rivalry is refreshing after Naruto and Sasuke were trying to kill each other for at least 550 of the 700 chapters I don't think that's enough to intrigue people in them. Asta is flat out terrible whether its his screaming or his actual character so you look to Yuno, but the crybaby backstory kind of made me think of dude in a lesser light. I still don't know what to think about it, it just "happened" to give a reason for Yuno's motivation to become the Wizard King which I don't have any real issue with. SharkBait is pointing out that not everyone who watches comments, which is factually correct, but at the same time it's impossible to ignore the negative reception on every huge anime site that ShenGao pointed out from the people that do comment.

Me personally? I thought this episode was a little boring but not bad. I'm just waiting on the other characters to pop up, this Yami character, the big boobed one with the witch hat, and the one with orange hair blue eyes happy looking one look more interesting than the two mains. People say Noelle's backstory is lit (?) so it's more to come before I get a true grip on this series.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Black Clover would be better if Noelle was the MC

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's how I feel about Boruto, Sarada would shine as the MC over Boruto.

Speaking of Boruto, the recent chapter just brought back someone who couldn't possibly survive the attack from the Ten Tails. Idk if I like it or it's bullshit. But more importantly from the author comments this week the manga made a reference to the current anime arc, so in other words everything that's been happening in Boruto so far is canon. No wonder I've been enjoying the anime, it hasn't felt like filler.

Bluenotebook

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
On the subject on the popularity of the series. What about fanart? I'd like to think that the reception of a series has a strong correlation with the amount of fan art it inspires. Its not a solid way to gauge things but even a quick search can give some indication on how well received some series are. At least to a casual viewer.
Well, Kiruko-san got tons of fan art when it was published but that didn't help it much.

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the problem with BC so far regarding the polarizing reaction from social media of west fandoms is that Asta and Yuno aren't strong characters,
We've been saying Black Clover isn't good for years on end and that the only reason it survived for this long is editor's good grace. This is really the outcome I've been expecting and you can't blame Pierrot for this because this is exactly how the source of material went.

by theirselves or together. While the friendly rivalry is refreshing after Naruto and Sasuke were trying to kill each other for at least 550 of the 700 chapters I don't think that's enough to intrigue people in them. Asta is flat out terrible whether its his screaming or his actual character so you look to Yuno, but the crybaby backstory kind of made me think of dude in a lesser light. I still don't know what to think about it, it just "happened" to give a reason for Yuno's motivation to become the Wizard King which I don't have any real issue with. SharkBait is pointing out that not everyone who watches comments, which is factually correct, but at the same time it's impossible to ignore the negative reception on every huge anime site that ShenGao pointed out from the people that do comment.
People point this out as a positive but I don't see how it is. Rivalries should evoke some sort of emotion between the parties it shouldn't be just friendly banter. Naruto and Sasuke got worse because Kishimoto tried too hard to push their "friendship" when it was just some one-sided infatuation based on a very flimsy reason since everything we saw of them was that they hated one another up until the last arc where Sasuke proclaims Naruto is his "best friend" all of a sudden. Asta is just all around terrible and Yuno is just a nothing character, them having a friendly rivalry does nothing for either of them.

Last edited:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
People point this out as a positive but I don't see how it is. Rivalries should evoke some sort of emotion between the parties it shouldn't be just friendly banter. Naruto and Sasuke got worse because Kishimoto tried too hard to push their "friendship" when it was just some one-sided infatuation based on a very flimsy reason since everything we saw of them was that they hated one another up until the last arc where Sasuke proclaims Naruto is his "best friend" all of a sudden. Asta is just all around terrible and Yuno is just a nothing character, them having a friendly rivalry does nothing for either of them.
Facts, but when I meant refreshing I meant it's not really the norm between rivals, you know? I'm not saying it's GOOD but I'm saying it's not what we usually get. Like this episode showed it's not gonna be some edgy argument between them every time it's a competition, or at least I hope not. However it's super early so it could go for worse. Naruto and Sasuke were great when they were together and not so much when they were apart which is a belief of mine to why Part 2 started the decline cause they were apart for the majority as well the storyline basically just focusing on them, washing everyone else away.

Status
Not open for further replies.